hoorta

Saquon Barkley Combine Bound

OK, 22 pages of Saquon was getting unwieldy. Apparently one of our respected posters was really angry I locked the thread- even though he was outvoted 3-1.  :)  So here's your thread to talk Barkley all you want, just keep it to new material. Please- The Management.  :)   

• Upvote 2

We have more important needs.. RB's are a dime a dozen these days.. See Crowell...

• Upvote 1

Projected Combine Numbers? 

40 Yard Dash - 4.33 +/- .05

Bench Press - 

Vertical Jump - 

Broad Jump -

3 Cone Drill - 

Shuttle Run - 

Here's more information about the 40yd dash compliments of Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40-yard_dash

40-yard dash

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 40-yard dash is a sprint covering 40 yards (36.58 m). It is primarily run to evaluate the speed and acceleration of American football players by scouts, particularly for the NFL Draft but also for collegiate recruiting. A player's recorded time can have a heavy impact on his prospects in college or professional football. This was traditionally only true for the "skill" positions such as running back, wide receiver, and defensive back, although now a fast 40-yard dash time is considered important for almost every position. The 40-yard dash is not an official race in track and field athletics and is not an IAAF-recognized event.

The origin of timing football players for 40 yards comes from the average distance of a punt and the time it takes to reach that distance.[1] Punts average around 40 yards in distance from the line of scrimmage, and the hangtime (time of flight) averages approximately 4.5 seconds. Therefore, if a coach knows that a player runs 40 yards in 4.5 seconds, he will be able to leave the line of scrimmage when a punt is kicked, and reach the point where the ball comes down just as it arrives.

Timing method and track comparisons

In terms of judging a person's speed, the best method of timing is through lasers which start and stop the times when passed through. A laser start (from a stationary position) is more accurate for measuring pure speed as it does not register a runner's reaction time. However, the method of timing a 40-yard dash can affect the accuracy by as much 0.5 seconds (with the manual stopwatch method). The National Football League (NFL) did not begin using partial electronic timing (started by hand, stopped electronically) at the NFL Scouting Combine until 1999.[2][3] For purposes of measurement at the Combine, the run is made along the lower sideline from the 40 yard-line to the end zone, which has built-in rundown space.

In track and field races, the runner must react to the starting gun, which takes approximately 0.24 seconds, based on FAT timing. A runner with a reaction time less than .100 is subject to disqualification as that is deemed too fast of a reaction time. For electronically timed 40-yard dashes, the runner is allowed to start when he wishes, and a timer hand-starts the clock. This aspect means that comparisons with track times are impossible given that a reaction time is not factored in. Furthermore, the use of hand-timing in the 40-yard dash can considerably alter a runner's time; the methods are not comparable to the rigorous electronic timing used in track and field.

Jacoby Ford, who ran a 4.28 s in the 2010 NFL Combine, had a collegiate best of 6.51 s in the 60-meter dash (outside the top-40 of the all-time lists).[4] This highlights the difficulties in comparing track running times to football 40-yard times due to the different timing methods.[5]

Records

Auburn's Bo Jackson claims to have run a 40-yard dash with a time of 4.13 s.[6][7] A time of 4.18 run by Jackson within the same week added some support to the legitimacy of the times.[8][9] Texas Tech's Jakeem Grant was hand-timed by a New Orleans Saints scout as running a 4.10 in 2016, potentially beating Jackson's record.[10]Deion Sanders ran a 4.27-second 40-yard dash in 1989.[11]

In 2013, Carlin Isles recorded a time of 4.22 at a Detroit Lions facility during a workout.[12]

In 2017 Olympic sprinter Christian Coleman ran a time of 4.12 seconds on turf in response to claims that NFL players are as fast as Usain Bolt.[13]

Records at the NFL Scouting Combine[edit]

This is a list of the official 40-yard dash results of 4.30 seconds or better recorded at the NFL Scouting combine since 1999, the first year electronic timing was implemented at the NFL Scouting Combine.[14][15]

Time Name Height Weight Position College Year Draft
4.22[16] John Ross 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 190 lb (86 kg) Wide receiver Washington 2017 No. 9 overall by Cincinnati Bengals
4.24 Rondel Menendez 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Wide receiver Eastern Kentucky 1999 No. 247 overall by Atlanta Falcons
4.24 Chris Johnson 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Running back East Carolina 2008 No. 24 overall by Tennessee Titans
4.26 Jerome Mathis 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 184 lb (83 kg) Wide receiver Hampton 2005 No. 114 overall by Houston Texans
4.26 Dri Archer 5 ft 8 in (173 cm) 173 lb (78 kg) Running back Kent State 2014 No. 97 overall by Pittsburgh Steelers
4.27 Stanford Routt 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 193 lb (88 kg) Cornerback Houston 2005 No. 38 overall by Oakland Raiders
4.27 Marquise Goodwin 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 181 lb (82 kg) Wide receiver Texas 2013 No. 78 overall by Buffalo Bills
4.28 Champ Bailey 6 ft 0 in (183 cm) 192 lb (87 kg) Cornerback Georgia 1999 No. 7 overall by Washington Redskins
4.28 Jacoby Ford 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 190 lb (86 kg) Wide receiver Clemson 2010 No. 108 overall by Oakland Raiders
4.28[17] Jalen Myrick 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 200 lb (91 kg) Cornerback Minnesota 2017 No. 222 overall by Jacksonville Jaguars
4.28[18] J. J. Nelson 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 156 lb (71 kg) Wide receiver UAB 2015 No. 159 overall by Arizona Cardinals
4.28 DeMarcus Van Dyke 6 ft 1 in (185 cm) 187 lb (85 kg) Cornerback Miami 2011 No. 81 overall by Oakland Raiders
4.29 Fabian Washington 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 188 lb (85 kg) Cornerback Nebraska 2005 No. 23 overall by Oakland Raiders
4.29 Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 184 lb (83 kg) Cornerback Tennessee State 2008 No. 16 overall by the Arizona Cardinals
4.29 Josh Robinson 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 199 lb (90 kg) Cornerback UCF 2012 No. 66 overall by Minnesota Vikings
4.30 Darrent Williams 5 ft 9 in (175 cm) 176 lb (80 kg) Cornerback Oklahoma State 2005 No. 56 overall by Denver Broncos
4.30 Tye Hill 5 ft 10 in (178 cm) 185 lb (84 kg) Cornerback Clemson 2006 No. 15 overall by St. Louis Rams
4.30 Yamon Figurs 5 ft 11 in (180 cm) 174 lb (79 kg) Wide receiver Kansas State 2007 No. 74 overall by Baltimore Ravens
4.30 Darrius Heyward-Bey[19] 6 ft 2 in (188 cm) 210 lb (95 kg) Wide receiver Maryland 2009 No. 7 overall by Oakland Raiders

Average time by position

According to a five-year NFL combine report, wide receivers and cornerbacks had the fastest average times at 4.55, followed by running backs at 4.59. The following average times were measured between 2008 and 2012 at the NFL combine.[20]

Position Time
Wide receiver 4.55
Cornerback 4.55
Running back 4.59
Safety 4.62
Outside linebacker 4.74
Tight end 4.77
Fullback 4.80
Inside linebacker 4.80
Quarterback 4.87
Defensive end 4.88
Defensive tackle 5.13
Center 5.30
Offensive tackle 5.32
Offensive guard 5.36

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at this the 2nd time, I noticed that only 2 players since 1999 (on the fastest time chart) weighed in over 200 lbs. 

1) Jalen Myrick, 5' 10 - 200 lbs CB last year 2017

2) Darrius Heyward-Bey, 6'2" - 210 lbs WR back in 2009

It's been reported that before the college football season Saquon Barkley ran a timed 40 yard dash of 4.33 seconds. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-watch-penn-state-s-saquon-barkley-runs-a-blazing-40-yard-dash-20170301-story.html

"Penn State on Wednesday hand-timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40 during winter conditioning tests... 

Last year, Barkley ran the team's fastest time at 4.38 seconds. So he's getting faster!...

Barkley's 40 (again, hand-timed) would have been the second-fastest among running backs at last year's NFL combine (Dallas' Ezekiel Elliott ran a 4.47). Backs run Friday at this year's combine, so we'll see how Barkley's time matches against the current draft prospects."

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The NFL should start having these guys run two 40 yard dashes.

One without a helmet and pads - then another one in full gameday gear.

That would be interesting to see. 

1 minute ago, tiamat63 said:

Barkley ain't running no 4.3   

About as dumb as the 'Peppers running a 4.3 crowd'.  

No, seriously man, that's what he ran. He ran a 4.38 two years ago. Then last year he ran a 4.33! Shaved off .05 of a second off. If he's able to do that one more time, which I think he could do- that could put him in, dare I say it? The late 4.2 speed range... that would be really scary huh? That's why I included the link for you guys- so you know it's not hyperbole. 

http://www.mcall.com/sports/college/psu/mc-watch-penn-state-s-saquon-barkley-runs-a-blazing-40-yard-dash-20170301-story.html

"Penn State on Wednesday hand-timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40 during winter conditioning tests... 

Last year, Barkley ran the team's fastest time at 4.38 seconds. So he's getting faster!...

Barkley's 40 (again, hand-timed) would have been the second-fastest among running backs at last year's NFL combine (Dallas' Ezekiel Elliott ran a 4.47). Backs run Friday at this year's combine, so we'll see how Barkley's time matches against the current draft prospects."

12 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

No, seriously man, that's what he ran. He ran a 4.38 two years ago. Then last year he ran a 4.33! Shaved off .05 of a second off. If he's able to do that one more time, which I think he could do- that could put him in, dare I say it? The late 4.2 speed range... that would be really scary huh? That's why I included the link for you guys- so you know it's not hyperbole. 

I'm gonna toss you on ignore like the other trolls.   Get at me when you want a sig or account time-out bet based on the combine 40.  I accept PM's.

The Eagles won with Jay Ajayi (5th round pick), L.Blount (undrafted) and Corey Clement (undrafted).  As good as Barkley is, RB is one of the last positions to invest heavily on (if at all) while building a championship team.  An elite pass rusher like Bradley Chubb would be far more valuable.  An elite DB like Minkah Fitzpatrick would be more valuable.

It's also a very deep RB draft class.  Let's wait and get Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Derrius Guice, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Rashaad Penny ect ect later on.

• Upvote 4

This is a BS report. It would have you believe that lardass offensive linemen are the slowest bastards on the field. Those guys are great athletes, anyone knows that.

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

This is a BS report. It would have you believe that lardass offensive linemen are the slowest bastards on the field. Those guys are great athletes, anyone knows that.

The game is won on the line of scrimmage.

Too many people want offense, offense and more offense and miss the stud lineman in the draft. I would go 1st pick QB and OL with the 4th pick.

As several people have said, John Dorsey favors selecting running backs later in the draft, and he's never taken one in the first round, let alone with the 4th (or even 1st) pick. In fact, the earliest round he took one is the 2nd round, and that guy didn't have a meaningful career (forget his name). 

What it obviously comes down to is whether or not Barkley is THAT much of a better prospect than some of the other ones coming out. This draft appears littered with quality backs that will likely be available throughout the various rounds, and I really don't see us taking one THAT early in the draft. Could we possibly trade back into the first round like what we did with Njoku? Maybe, if we have our heart set on someone. But our team has such an astonishing amount of holes that it's way more likely to me we're taking a QB 1st and then Minkah Fitzpatrick at 4. If Fitzpatrick goes 2 or 3, which is doubtful, I could see us trading down A LITTLE to acquire more picks for 2019. More likely is Fitzpatrick being available at 4, us taking him, and the Browns coming away with two extremely important and talented players early in the draft. 

To me, the 2nd round is more of a mystery. Do we select a tackle to take over for Joe? My stance all along is that he's not coming back because he physically won't be able to play at the level he's accustomed to, and he doesn't strike me as a guy who will play when he can't play well. Assuming we go QB, FS/CB, and OT with our first 3 picks, it's likely we'll add a RB in the 2nd round, and then possibly a linebacker who can cover, or more likely a cornerback. We have an amazing opportunity to add some heavy duty talent to our team, and I have hope that Dorsey and company get it right and build our team up. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, JimboJones said:

The Eagles won with Jay Ajayi (5th round pick), L.Blount (undrafted) and Corey Clement (undrafted).  As good as Barkley is, RB is one of the last positions to invest heavily on (if at all) while building a championship team.  An elite pass rusher like Bradley Chubb would be far more valuable.  An elite DB like Minkah Fitzpatrick would be more valuable.

It's also a very deep RB draft class.  Let's wait and get Ronald Jones, Kerryon Johnson, Derrius Guice, Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Rashaad Penny ect ect later on.

I mean, that's a bit of a fools gold argument. By that very definition a back-up 3rd round pick and a basically undrafted guy were in the Super Bowl, so we should wait for that position too?

Normally I'd agree, but if Browns (and before your head explodes tia, I'm not saying ME) see Barkley as an impact player he's worth being in the conversation. A dude like Elliott and Fournette have made their teams exponentially better in their first season, and I'm sure those teams are pretty darn happy the took a RB high.

• Like 1

F.ucking stupid philly fan's bet they burn down their city today cause honestly anyone who is stupid enough to put up a statue of Rocky and think that he is real is bound to be a ignorant f.uck

42 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

I don't care if barkley runs a 4.2.  He's not on zeke's level as a rb.  He just isn't. 

Barkley is much more highly rated by about every major scouting report than Zeke was. I know that ends up meeting squat in the end, but he's absolutely on his level as a prospect. Whether that pans out or not, who knows. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, syd said:

F.ucking stupid philly fan's bet they burn down their city today cause honestly anyone who is stupid enough to put up a statue of Rocky and think that he is real is bound to be a ignorant f.uck

Yo !! What makes you think that anyone thinks he was real?

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Barkley ain't running no 4.3   

About as dumb as the 'Peppers running a 4.3 crowd'.  

Before they went to electronic timing, Darryl Green and Bo Jackson hold the unofficial records at 4.1 or something like that. Track speed doesn't mean much if you're not a football player, or can't stay healthy (ask the Bengals about 4.22 John Ross). I'd be mighty curious to see what Usain Bolt could do in a 40.  :) LOL, if Saquon is another Bo, I'd be interested @ #4, not #1 though. Quarterback comes first.  As Jiggins pointed out, Dorsey hasn't taken RBs high, and there's a ton of quality guys who will be there in the second round. 

56 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Yo !! What makes you think that anyone thinks he was real?

damn i wish i could find the picture But if philly fan is stupid enough to put horse Sheet in his mouth I am sure they believe rocky is real 

15 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Do you know the adjusted time for hand timed vs electronic? 

BIG difference in hand vs electronic 

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Barkley is much more highly rated by about every major scouting report than Zeke was. I know that ends up meeting squat in the end, but he's absolutely on his level as a prospect. Whether that pans out or not, who knows. 

He's highly touted on all the draft boards,  but compared to zeke he didn't do sheet.  Zeke dominated the playoffs.  Barkley hasn't shown that level,  not consistently against the top teams.   

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

He will not run in the 4.3 range at the notoriously slow laser timed track in Indy. Hell he may not even run in the 4.4 range. Ohio state had 8 players run sub "4.4 times" including zeke some even in the 4.2 range on their team with hand timed 40s. While I think only lattimore ran sub 4.4 at the combine. It is greatly exaggerated at the college level. And like I said Indy is notorious for its slow track.

Edit to say that I'm not saying he won't cause buckeyes couldn't and they're so great. I'm just saying colleges all across the country fudge with 40 times. I just referenced Ohio state because I'm familiar with their reported college 40 times.

17 hours ago, nickers said:

We have more important needs.. RB's are a dime a dozen these days.. See Crowell...

This. Don't waste a top pick on a HB

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

He's highly touted on all the draft boards,  but compared to zeke he didn't do sheet.  Zeke dominated the playoffs.  Barkley hasn't shown that level,  not consistently against the top teams.   

Your bias is showing.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Before they went to electronic timing, Darryl Green and Bo Jackson hold the unofficial records at 4.1 or something like that. Track speed doesn't mean much if you're not a football player, or can't stay healthy (ask the Bengals about 4.22 John Ross). I'd be mighty curious to see what Usain Bolt could do in a 40.  :) LOL, if Saquon is another Bo, I'd be interested @ #4, not #1 though. Quarterback comes first.  As Jiggins pointed out, Dorsey hasn't taken RBs high, and there's a ton of quality guys who will be there in the second round. 

Didn't Ben Gay (RB) run a 4.3 or some Sheet?

• Upvote 1

Kent State RB Dri Archer ran a 4.26 40 at the combine & was out of league in a year & a half..10 rushes for 40 yards & 23 passing yards..a 3rd round pick that would rather fall down than take a hit..speeds good till ya get caught