THE BROWNS BOARD

Blowing up the QB rankings

Louisville Slugger

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

I've also said I don't see a generational talent in this draft. Lamar and Barkley could be but there are some concerns. I would take Lamar #1 because I would hope our staff knows how to use him. If they try to run an offense designed for Rothlisberger or Dalton instead of putting him in position to get the most out of his ability he will likely bust. 

1) That one play where Chubb catches him from behind Lamar went back 3 yards and Chubb went straight down the line and barely touched his shoe strings. It's not like Chubb ran him down. I'm not taking anything away from Vick but Lamar consistently shook multiple defenders with lateral jukes. He spun out of countless tackles. He takes 1 step and he's at full speed. He's a better runner than Vick he just maybe a step behind on top end speed.0a

2) Rosen is the most polished QB but he has some injury concerns. I don't like the idea of drafting Sam Bradford. It's not about his ability it's about his durability.

3) Combine results don't mean anything when on the field. Just look at Jarvis Landry, Jerry Rice, Jameis Winston, and anquan Bolden. They all are far more athletic than their combine numbers would have you believe.

4) Cousins is a proven commodity and will allow us to use that #1 on a safer pick like Bradley Chubb.

5) Lighten up Tiamat. It was a lighthearted joke. If I knew it would wreck your world I would have changed my name to Nibiru. 

1) Already said it once LS, if Lamar tries to be a running qb in the NFL- he's going to get killed in short order. He will be evaluated on his passing ability, not his running ability.  Carson Wentz is 2" taller and 20 pounds heavier than Jackson and had his season ended with a blown out knee. Only example? Hardly- Runnin' RG III is out of football after multiple injuries toting the rock. FWIW, that's a mighty good comparison to Lamar- almost the same height and weight, Griffin ran a 4.4 at the combine, and had accuracy issues. 

2) I'll ditto you on Rosen, I have the same injury concerns. It's why I don't have at the top of my QB ratings. And for the record, Bradford will presumably be a FA this spring- we won't have to trade for him if we're interested. 

3) Sometimes combine numbers don't translate to the football field- either high or low. Steve Largent and Ray Lewis were supposedly "too slow". OTOH, Vernon Gholston was a workout wonder at the combine 4.7 40, and 37 reps- and totally busted in the NFL.  

4) I've already said it a couple of times. From reports I've gotten from hard core Redskinns fans- Cousins isn't going to be worth anywhere close to the money he's going to get in free agency. Probably going to a team that can "win now". That isn't the Browns. We take our QB #1, one of Chubb, Barkley, or Fitzpatrick will be there for us at #4.  

5) If you like Lamar, that's fine. At least you're rational about it. Just good natured bantering back and forth- as it should be.  :)  Unlike someone we know who can't get his head out of Barkley's butt.  

14 minutes ago, hoorta said:

1) Already said it once LS, if Lamar tries to be a running qb in the NFL- he's going to get killed in short order. Carson Wentz is 2" taller and 20 pounds heavier than Jackson and had his season ended with a blown out knee. Only example? Hardly- Runnin' RG III is out of football after multiple injuries toting the rock. FWIW, that's a mighty good comparison to Lamar- almost the same height and weight, Griffin ran a 4.4 at the combine, and had accuracy issues. 

2) I'll ditto you on Rosen, I have the same injury concerns. It's why I don't have at the top of my QB ratings. And for the record, Bradford will presumably be a FA this spring- we won't have to trade for him if we're interested. 

3) Sometimes combine numbers don't translate to the football field- either high or low. Steve Largent and Ray Lewis were supposedly "too slow". OTOH, Vernon Gholston was a workout wonder at the combine 4.7 40, and 37 reps- and totally busted in the NFL.  

4) I've already said it a couple of times. From reports I've gotten from hard core Redskinns fans- Cousins isn't going to be worth anywhere close to the money he's going to get in free agency. Probably going to a team that can "win now". That isn't the Browns. We take our QB #1, one of Chubb, Barkley, or Fitzpatrick will be there for us at #4.  

5) If you like Lamar, that's fine. At least you're rational about it. Just good natured bantering back and forth- as it should be.  :)  Unlike someone we know who can't get his head out of Barkley's butt.  

1. Sure Jackson isn't superman he has the chance to get hurt, but he has shown durability. He's got grit. Russell Wilson runs alot and rarely get  hurt so it's not impossible. He does have RG3 size but he also ran an offense that has some pro stuff in it. Petrino usually runs more of a pro style but he adapter to Jackson skill set.

2. I want no part of Bradford either. Nothing worse than a player with paper skin and Styrofoam bones.

3. Exactly

4. I wouldn't care if Cousins could only get us to 8-8 the whole time he is here. That money would be well worth it. How much is turning a franchise around worth? 

5. Lamar became my guy after comparing him to the field. I think his flaws as a passer are no worse than the other QBs outside of Mayfield. By draft time I may move to Mayfield or Darnold camp there is alot of time to change my mind.

That Barkley fan is ridiculous. There is no denying Barkley is an incredible athlete, but this is such an impressive class of RBs it would be hard to justify taking him too high. I think Penny, Guice, Chubb, Jones, and Michel all have starter potential. Rashaad Penny being my favorite in the entire draft. 

5 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

4. I wouldn't care if Cousins could only get us to 8-8 the whole time he is here. That money would be well worth it. How much is turning a franchise around worth? 

5. Lamar became my guy after comparing him to the field. I think his flaws as a passer are no worse than the other QBs outside of Mayfield. By draft time I may move to Mayfield or Darnold camp there is alot of time to change my mind.

6) That Barkley fan is ridiculous. There is no denying Barkley is an incredible athlete, but this is such an impressive class of RBs it would be hard to justify taking him too high. I think Penny, Guice, Chubb, Jones, and Michel all have starter potential. Rashaad Penny being my favorite in the entire draft. 

4) I (and 90% of all Browns fans) would care if the Best Cousins could do is 8-8. Sure, we've been in the sewer for so long, 8-8 is improvement. But you hand a guy a $150 million contract, it's playoffs or bust- if not Super Bowl. 

5) I agree, it's early to lock in on a favorite. Right now, I have Mayfield\Darnold 1-2,but I could be swayed between now and April. FWIW, I have Jackson as my #5 pick, behind Josh Allen. 

6) The only and I mean the only way you draft Barkley #1 overall is if you think he's going to be Jim Brown good, and maybe not even then. As I've told Po a bunch of times Brown, Payton, and Sanders have 2 championships between the three of them, the Lions never even made the Super Bowl with Barry. Payton's is as much due to the all-star defense the Bears had that year. 

2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Name a QB that doesn't have concerns? One of these guys is going #1

Rosen- injury concerns/character

Darnold- turnovers/ looks timid in the pocket

Mayfield- size/arm/character

Jackson- accuracy/ footwork

Agree...have been saying it all along....this may NOT be  1983 or 2004.......it could be like 2011:   Ponder, Locker, Gabbert etc. etc. etc.  Or 2001 I believe:  David Carr...Joey Harrington.  Or 1999:   1 good one, 1 average one....3 likely busts.

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

4) I (and 90% of all Browns fans) would care if the Best Cousins could do is 8-8. Sure, we've been in the sewer for so long, 8-8 is improvement. But you hand a guy a $150 million contract, it's playoffs or bust- if not Super Bowl. 

5) I agree, it's early to lock in on a favorite. Right now, I have Mayfield\Darnold 1-2,but I could be swayed between now and April. FWIW, I have Jackson as my #5 pick, behind Josh Allen. 

6) The only and I mean the only way you draft Barkley #1 overall is if you think he's going to be Jim Brown good, and maybe not even then. As I've told Po a bunch of times Brown, Payton, and Sanders have 2 championships between the three of them, the Lions never even made the Super Bowl with Barry. Payton's is as much due to the all-star defense the Bears had that year. 

Here is my problem with that logic. You take that 30 mil and you spend it else where. What's more likely, Cousins gets you 8 wins or another QB with a few more FAs? Let' do it this way

Cousins + the top player in the draft + some lesser FAs

Or

Rookie QB + Jarvis Landry + Leveon Bell

Even if I give you the top 2 offensive FAs do you think that gives us a better chance to win games? I don't think it impossible we can strike gold on one of the rookies, but I like the odds with Cousins much better.

3 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Here is my problem with that logic. You take that 30 mil and you spend it else where. What's more likely, Cousins gets you 8 wins or another QB with a few more FAs? Let' do it this way

Cousins + the top player in the draft + some lesser FAs

Or

Rookie QB + Jarvis Landry + Leveon Bell

Even if I give you the top 2 offensive FAs do you think that gives us a better chance to win games? I don't think it impossible we can strike gold on one of the rookies, but I like the odds with Cousins much better.

Who says we're going to spend that money this year? Short term thinking. The Browns aren't going to the 2019 Super Bowl even if they spend all of the $110 million cap in one year. 

My scenario is none of the above. Not using one of the top two picks on a QB isn't going to happen, not in a draft where some of the talking heads are saying 5-6 quarterbacks could go in the first round. We aren't starting a rookie QB, and we're not spending $150 million on Cousins either. It's not just the humongous contract. You get Kirk, forget about grooming a long term QB, you're stuck with Cousins for at least 3 years. Sure Dorsey & Company will at least kick the tires to see if there's any interest- due diligence and all that.

Bring in a veteran bridge starter on a two year contract that will be 20% of what Cousins is going to command. Will we win a few less games? Probably. But we can sit Darnold, Mayfield, or even your guy Jackson for a year- makes your time horizon around 8 years longer. Can't just think about next year- have to be thinking a year or two down the road. I doubt Bell is going anywhere. The Steelers took care of Antonio Brown, Bell is next in line to get paid. Pittsburgh knows when Ben retires, the Super Bowl window is closed. Having cap room in reserve will be great- when we're ready to make that big move. 2018 is not the year. 

10 hours ago, hoorta said:

Who says we're going to spend that money this year? Short term thinking. The Browns aren't going to the 2019 Super Bowl even if they spend all of the $110 million cap in one year. 

My scenario is none of the above. Not using one of the top two picks on a QB isn't going to happen, not in a draft where some of the talking heads are saying 5-6 quarterbacks could go in the first round. We aren't starting a rookie QB, and we're not spending $150 million on Cousins either. It's not just the humongous contract. You get Kirk, forget about grooming a long term QB, you're stuck with Cousins for at least 3 years. Sure Dorsey & Company will at least kick the tires to see if there's any interest- due diligence and all that.

Bring in a veteran bridge starter on a two year contract that will be 20% of what Cousins is going to command. Will we win a few less games? Probably. But we can sit Darnold, Mayfield, or even your guy Jackson for a year- makes your time horizon around 8 years longer. Can't just think about next year- have to be thinking a year or two down the road. I doubt Bell is going anywhere. The Steelers took care of Antonio Brown, Bell is next in line to get paid. Pittsburgh knows when Ben retires, the Super Bowl window is closed. Having cap room in reserve will be great- when we're ready to make that big move. 2018 is not the year. 

So Manziel in as the bridge you say?;)

• 9 months later...
On 2/14/2018 at 7:06 PM, tiamat63 said:

Oh I've watched him in passing... didn't see Vick at all.  Reminds me of Vince in a way though.

Just watched Lamar make some VERY questionable decisions the first half of his first start.   Including watching such a sidearm-assed throw it hit his LG in the helmet.

Reminded me of this thread.   

Hand to Christ, they could be clones with their throwing motion.     Great soundtrack though.  

Archived