Flugel

Nice Article/Interview for Baker Mayfield Enthusiasts

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

I'll speak up- you think he's a one read wonder, and is too short? 

If you read my quick rundown on him from the Bedlam game you'd known my concerns.  

But those two are a part of it, yes.  

1 hour ago, tiamat63 said:

If you read my quick rundown on him from the Bedlam game you'd known my concerns.  

But those two are a part of it, yes.  

watching bakers film breakdown on dawgsbynature, I get a clearer picture of your concerns from the Georgia game 2nd half. widen the nfl hashes. D's keeping him in the pocket to fight threw windows & reads..Step forward to senior bowl..a few got knocked down from under center & he has not learned from Wilson nor Brees that he may have to drop deeper in pocket to open small windows..My hope is Rosen is not a duche..

44 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

watching bakers film breakdown on dawgsbynature, I get a clearer picture of your concerns from the Georgia game 2nd half. widen the nfl hashes. D's keeping him in the pocket to fight threw windows & reads..Step forward to senior bowl..a few got knocked down from under center & he has not learned from Wilson nor Brees that he may have to drop deeper in pocket to open small windows..My hope is Rosen is not a duche..

Didn't DBN say that Baker is far superior to Johnny....   and I'm pretty sure that clown said Manziel was a franchise QB.   

So........  

6 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Didn't DBN say that Baker is far superior to Johnny....   and I'm pretty sure that clown said Manziel was a franchise QB.   

So........  

learned from a old coach long ago..form your own opinion..turn them asshats volume off 

9 hours ago, stillmotion said:

Baker's the real deal. Will be an absolute beast in the NFL unless the Browns pick him.

FIFY:P

14 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Flugs, buddy... you're about the last person I expected to get caught in the Mayfield trap.  

And you have EARNED my respect for your research in here big time. I know he's polarizing and nobody's going to change your mind about the red flags you see.  I'm just going to tell you where I'm coming from.  I have him tied with Darnold-DucknobodyblockedBosaagain as my fave.

With Mayfield, Stoops explained how impressive walking onto to 2 different programs and starting at both was.  He also explained in 2013, Trevor Knight became the starter late and lit up Alabama like a Christmas Tree in their Bowl game with 45 points so that wasn't an easy task in 2015 to beat him out.  His TD:INT ratios in 3 years were: 36:7 w/68.1 cmp% + 40:8 w/70.9 cmp% + 43:6 w/70.5 cmp%. Along with the winning percentage and ridiculous points per game average - there's quite a bit to like about this leader.  I never saw him as another Manziel in terms of running the ball. He never rushed for over 1400 yards in 1 season like Manziel did.  His most yards rushing in 13 games was his 1st year at OU with 405 yds in 13 game followed by 177 in 13 games a year later followed by 311 in 14 games in 2017.  He's elusive because of his agility, pre-snap read/smarts and pocket presence. I don't see him threatening contain on the perimeter in the NFL; but I'm confident he will remain efficient at picking his opportunity to run when/where he has to. 

Beyond the Big 12 schedule, beating Ohio State at Ohio State and scoring 48 points on UGA should have shown people he wasn't exclusively wonderful to the Big 12.  Darnold wasn't able to beat Ohio State on a neutral field.  On the other hand, he was able to beat the Big 10 Champion PSU Team that beat Ohio State in 2016 and it was an incredible performance doing so from Darnold.  As you've noted about the QBs this year - they could all improve their play action fakes (Mayfield and Darnold included). The good news is that IS a very doable coach him up thing at the next level.

The guy I think Mayfield is a lot alike is another Texas born guy Drew Brees (aside from the same height).  If anyone remembers, Brees didn't emerge as a Pro Bowl QB until his 4th year (same year SD drafted a QB 1st overall).  That took time and some degree of compromise by his NFL team.  College system of play was one of the BIG question marks and putting Brees up under Center way more often than Purdue did. Well, in 2004 - SD drafted a Purdue Center named Nick Hartwick; and they ran a lot more shotgun formations if memory served me right.  This helped Brees make easier pre-snap reads and it all clicked. Love takes time though so we gotta give Mayfield longer than a sip of coffee here.  I'll be the first to tell you I wasn't patient with giving Kizer all the starts we gave him though.  That said, he was a middle of round 2 prospect with accuracy issues that reared their ugly head in red zones - not to be confused with a guy that will be prioritized at #1 or #4 hopefully.

Another intangible I like is does the guy elevate everyone's game?  RBs like Mixon and Perine had intriguing enough performances to excite NFL teams.  Perine had a day over 300 yards 1 year later both Anderson and Sermon averaged over 6 yard a carry while the lesser used Adams averaged over 9.2ypc. Anderson rushed for 201 yards and 2 TDs vrs UGA on 26 carries.  Meanwhile, he helped produced a Biletnikoff Award Winner from their WR Corps in DeDe Westbrook in 2016. People that aren't sold on Mayfield might ask me if it wasn't the other way around and if I'm getting myself all excited about the next Gino Toretta...  You can have talented surroundings but what does it mean if you can't bring it out of them. For example, why does Robert Woods have to move to LA to look like an unstoppable WR?  Because he had a better passer throwing him open or hitting him in stride or just being on the same page far more often than Tyrod Taylor could.  Chris Hogan also looked way better when he moved out of Buffalo.

Gumby brought up the Senior Bowl Mayfield's struggles and I chalk all that up to what staff (Elway's/Denver) Coached the side he was on and why they felt compelled to manipulate his results.  It's easy to do that from the personnel groupings to the play calling.   They also wanted to see Josh Allen about-face his very forgettable 1st half and they did.  When Mayock (who attended every practice) shows up with a lot of questions about Mayfield heading into the week and leaves Mobile concluding he is a solid 1st round QB; I'll value that way more what Denver's staff wanted Mayfield to look like to the NFL teams (they are competing with for a QB in the 1st 5 picks of the draft).

In the end, every one of the humans trying to be a first round QB have some concerns teams will have to research further.  I don't think Mayfield has any show stoppers. I love his accuracy, football smarts, results, and leadership intangible.  I can't make up my mind between him and Darnold so I'm glad I don't have to....

• Upvote 1

On 2/10/2018 at 11:56 AM, The Gipper said:

You REALLY pay very little attention to what is typed on here.....and what you read....or apparently do not read.

I assume you are talking about me because I have noted in the past that Mason Rudolph was "in the mix"  in terms of QBs who may become successful in the pros.

But....do you remember my #1 reservation about him?  If you bothered to open up your squinty little eyes....you would have known that I repeatedly have said the biggest concern for him is his Big 12 roots.

So....you are either purposely obtuse....or reckless in your comments because you make them based on nothing that has a basis in reality....or you are just stupid.

So...which is it?

My comments are...

you don’t like Baker because of Big 12, but like another Big 12 guy. 

Take from that what you will.

My concern with Mayfield is:

he threw so much of the time to wide open wr's, behind arguably the best offensive line in football, and often had 5/7 seconds to throw. In a spread offense. How does that translate to the NFL ? I don't know. The qb is going to be a tough one for every team out there. Whoever the Browns draft, I honestly believe those picks will be brilliant. for a welcome desperately needed CHANGE from the years past.

As long as they draft Allen with the first pick. LOL LOL LOL

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

My concern with Mayfield is:

he threw so much of the time to wide open wr's, behind arguably the best offensive line in football, and often had 5/7 seconds to throw. In a spread offense. How does that translate to the NFL ? I don't know. The qb is going to be a tough one for every team out there. Whoever the Browns draft, I honestly believe those picks will be brilliant. for a welcome desperately needed CHANGE from the years past.

As long as they draft Allen with the first pick. LOL LOL LOL

As I said Cal- accuracy is accuracy- whether the guy is wide open, or has NFL level coverage on him. WR is running a crossing pattern- and the ball is exactly where it should be. None of the Deshone behind him, over his head, in the dirt. 

BTW- when he didn't have all day to throw- he's still great- did ok in that regard against OSU- and I'm not talking the Oklahoma variety.  https://www.diehards.com/oklahoma/baker-mayfield-pressure-ohio-state-oklahoma

EDIT: found the link to his advanced stats in another thread- crazy accurate to all areas of the field, plus they expounded on his entire season when he had pressure in his face. The Ohio State game wasn't an aberration. https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/8/16953726/krupkas-baker-mayfield-film-room

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

True - my concern though, is when Mayfield has to make a completion, and the window is narrow, as they are in the pros,

can he get it there with some serious quickness? I don't see the ball coming off his hands like Jackson or Allen. As they say, everybody in the NFL was a star in college. If Mayfield had to play behind a poor offensive line, etc... does anybody think he would have been winning so much, been so successful, so accurate? That question, not so much his height, makes me wonder how he will do in the pros.

Matt Leinart had the following completion percentages at USC:

A. Leinart played surrounded by excellent talent

B. He was said to be a good bit of a party boy. I imagine he may have had

a hottub in his room...

C. His wide receivers were wide open a lot of the time.

D. Wimpy vs dealing with adversity.

E. Did not love the game.

F. Didn't have a big arm. Seems he had a Mayfield-degree arm strength.

Meaning - intangibles, IMHSO, can be the difference to being a star, or a bust.

3 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

My comments are...

you don’t like Baker because of Big 12, but like another Big 12 guy. 

Take from that what you will.

You continually continually continually fail to read and understand the simplest of the English language. See what I said just right above year I said I have questions about both of them because of the big 12 hello McFly is anybody homeYou continually continually continually fail to read and understand the simplest of the English language. See what I said just write up of year I said I have questions about both of them because of the big 12 hello McFly is anybody home

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You continually continually continually fail to read and understand the simplest of the English language. See what I said just right above year I said I have questions about both of them because of the big 12 hello McFly is anybody homeYou continually continually continually fail to read and understand the simplest of the English language. See what I said just write up of year I said I have questions about both of them because of the big 12 hello McFly is anybody home

You Sheet on Baker for being in the Big 12, then touted Rudolph. I really don’t care what you say to try and justify it. 

3 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

You Sheet on Baker for being in the Big 12, then touted Rudolph. I really don’t care what you say to try and justify it. 

Rain man is right. I don't know how many other ways I can say that I Sheet on both of them for the same reason. You just a goddamn dumbass apparently . I am not trained in special-education so honestly I don't know how to help you

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Rain man is right. I don't know how many other ways I can say that I Sheet on both of them for the same reason. You just a goddamn dumbass apparently . I am not trained in special-education so honestly I don't know how to help you

thumbsup.jpg

Just more ^ comments from PFF.  Cal's going to be disappointed Zebra Technology was charting velocity and RPMs of Mayfield and Allen at the Senior Bowl, and it's closer than you think. Now if you feel  you need a guy who can throw a Hail Mary from his own 30 yard line- Josh is your guy.  :)  

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-baker-mayfields-tape-numbers-say-he-should-be-no-1-overall-pick?utm_source=cj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cjaff

so, what? Mayfield throws harder, and Allen shows more touch on the ball? That's all you got? lol

whatever. I like Mayfield, too. I do believe Mayfield is more ready to start in the NFL.

but, Brandon Silvers is the hoorta hero. He threw for a completion percentage of 64.4%, so he'll be a star. He's taller than Mayfield, heavier than Mayfield, and he didn't have a star-studded cast of players around him...

Say, why not just draft him #1 overall, dammit?  He and his teammates in Troy beat LSU...so.... all aboard the Hoorta Silvers Hero High Percentage Train !

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2018/01/troys_brandon_silvers_looking.html

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/sports/article_7b3f6b5c-e2c0-11e7-92d7-d339e67edacf.html

And here we go again.....a thread talking about a QB who isn't Josh Kizer....dammit...Deshone Allen......and here's Cal to slobber all over it with his man love for Allen.  We get it.    You're repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Gonna get you and Po a room so you two can sit and jerk each other off over your man loves for these two guys.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

that's odd, markie, since flugels brought him in the other thread, and hoorta brought him up in this thread...so STFU.

Actually, I just posted my idea about Mike White, dumbass, so go read it, instead of bitch about it.

Here, I'll slow it down for you

I.....don't......see.....the ....big .....deal.....about......Mayfield......and.....not Mike.....White.

....I .....can ......see....not.....picking.....a ....qb....with....either...high....pick....in....the....first....round.

no, you won't find it - that would take some kahunas.

Here:

That's dumb. Kizer doesn't love the game, has no fire and only looks at one third of the field, on every play. It's all he can do. He has serious limitations that I don't see with Allen. I never once said he was a finished product. Aaron Rodgers wasn't a finished product. Your and hoorta's josh rosenbum isn't a top three - despite his glowing stats. He's a prick who doesn't fit the lockerroom or the community. And your Darnold guy - all those fumbles? how the heck hard is it to teach fundamentals to him? and the throwing motion - I've seen better throwing motions by shot putters.

" I'm actually wondering - I watched the State Farm college all-star competition, and rosenbum won the accuracy contest by two seconds. But on the long moving throws, he completely missed the target once, and hit the very bottom of the other one.

Mike White hit both - nailed both of them - hit the bullseye flat out on one. His two years at W. Kentucky - he had the very high completion percentages, very strong arm, can also run.  He's 6'4", 225 .....I don't see the great advantage of Mayfield over White - I wouldn't blame the Browns if they trade out of that top pick, draft Minkah, and later draft an immediate starter/dramatic impact player (not a qb), and draft Mike White with their first pick in the second round. White is really, really impressive.

after the combine, I won't be too surprised if he was gone in the late first round."

so, my next mock draft will have no qb with the top two picks, with a trade down and drafting Mike White at the top

of round two. If he is even there after the first round.

21 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

that's odd, markie, since flugels brought him in the other thread, and hoorta brought him up in this thread...so STFU.

Actually, I just posted my idea about Mike White, dumbass, so go read it, instead of bitch about it.

Here, I'll slow it down for you

I.....don't......see.....the ....big .....deal.....about......Mayfield......and.....not Mike.....White.

....I .....can ......see....not.....picking.....a ....qb....with....either...high....pick....in....the....first....round.

no, you won't find it - that would take some kahunas.

Here:

That's dumb. Kizer doesn't love the game, has no fire and only looks at one third of the field, on every play. It's all he can do. He has serious limitations that I don't see with Allen. I never once said he was a finished product. Aaron Rodgers wasn't a finished product. Your and hoorta's josh rosenbum isn't a top three - despite his glowing stats. He's a prick who doesn't fit the lockerroom or the community. And your Darnold guy - all those fumbles? how the heck hard is it to teach fundamentals to him? and the throwing motion - I've seen better throwing motions by shot putters.

" I'm actually wondering - I watched the State Farm college all-star competition, and rosenbum won the accuracy contest by two seconds. But on the long moving throws, he completely missed the target once, and hit the very bottom of the other one.

Mike White hit both - nailed both of them - hit the bullseye flat out on one. His two years at W. Kentucky - he had the very high completion percentages, very strong arm, can also run.  He's 6'4", 225 .....I don't see the great advantage of Mayfield over White - I wouldn't blame the Browns if they trade out of that top pick, draft Minkah, and later draft an immediate starter/dramatic impact player (not a qb), and draft Mike White with their first pick in the second round. White is really, really impressive.

after the combine, I won't be too surprised if he was gone in the late first round."

So they are both shite

1 hour ago, Mark O said:

And here we go again.....a thread talking about a QB who isn't Josh Kizer....dammit...Deshone Allen......and here's Cal to slobber all over it with his man love for Allen.  We get it.    You're repeating the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

Gonna get you and Po a room so you two can sit and jerk each other off over your man loves for these two guys.

Exactly Mark. I dare even mention Allen in a Baker Mayfield thread and Cal has to start slobbering about his fave. AGAIN. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Exactly Mark. I dare even mention Allen in a Baker Mayfield thread and Cal has to start slobbering about his fave. AGAIN. 

It's becoming disturbing the man love Cal has for Allen and of course Po has already ruined his 2nd Barfley poster from jerking off to it.

not at all. But a few of you wannable alpha jerks can't stand to be disagreed with.

I have only RESPONDED to your bitching about allen. And AGAIN, I would probably

have Mayfield in my mock draft - unless the Browns signed a fa that would start ahead of Allen

for a year or two. I think Mayfield could actually start his rookie year. I think wittle markie and big bad

Hoopla need a safe space.