Jump to content
Flugel

Nice Article/Interview for Baker Mayfield Enthusiasts

Recommended Posts

On 2/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, 7moses7 said:

Yea what he said!!   Baker Mayfield 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

OK, Mo- what don't you like about Baker. I'll listen. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been reading that Rudolph is sort of a one trick pony.  He has a great talent for looking, finding, and hitting the long pass.  But is not so good at throwing the out patterns, which is a must in nfl.

I have been saying that Indys #3 pick is key to the first round of picks.  Ideally the Brown's should quickly deal their 4th pick with their late 2nd for it.  Then if want Mayfly over Darnold or whoever, they can take Barkley/Fitz/Chubb at one, or still take qb at one and trade three on draft day to highest bidder getting a boatload more picks or stock up for next year's draft.

Mayfly just doesn't warrant the number one pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's where I'm at now:  If there was a way to combine 2 qb's, I'd smush together Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. I love the physical aspects of Rosen and the way he spins the rock, but I really believe the intangibles of Mayfield are going to prove invaluable. Our team is historically awful, and we need a guy who just isn't afraid of our challenge, but who EMBRACES it. I'm placing a very high importance on this, and I think our GM will too. 

This is not a dig on Rosen, as I still believe he's the best "start now" prospect entering the draft. But that's not the only thing to look at concerning our unique situation because we've just been THAT bad. We need a guy who can lift our team up, inspire greatness from others, and someone who won't accept continuous losing. Just watch Baker before his college games. Watch how infectious his attitude is, his fire, drive...and check out how his team responds. They're jumping around him, bouncing around, completely ready to go into battle. Baker is also very accurate and really attacks the middle of the field VERY well. 

At this early stage, my guy is Mayfield, and I think that's where we are leaning at this moment. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to disagree with flugel on just about anything. I guess if there was a gun to my head I would take Rosen or Darnold. But I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they took Mayfield especially at number 4.

It really is hard not to like the kid. As far as pre-draft interviews, seriously, who cares? Unless a kid came out and said man I want to play for the Browns even if they trade down to the second round to get me. Everybody wants to be picked high and everybody wants to take that team to the promised land. And there's no reason to believe that he's a head case. I really liked Johnny but he had serious mental problems, that had nothing to do with what conference he played in or how tall he was.

Plus, for what it's worth, Bob Stoops loves the kid.

Grabbing his pecker towards the opponent? Good. We could use a little bit of the ghost of Chris gardocki.

WSS

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, The Gipper said:

Two Words:  

Big 12.  

History says we are better off going FCS....or mid major. Or Big Ten/Pac 10/SEC.

 

Roethlisburger has 2 SB rings, yet he played for my alma mater, Miami University, in the MAC conference. Talent is where you find it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Hard to disagree with flugel on just about anything. I guess if there was a gun to my head I would take Rosen or Darnold. But I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they took Mayfield especially at number 4.

It really is hard not to like the kid. As far as pre-draft interviews, seriously, who cares? Unless a kid came out and said man I want to play for the Browns even if they trade down to the second round to get me. Everybody wants to be picked high and everybody wants to take that team to the promised land. And there's no reason to believe that he's a head case. I really liked Johnny but he had serious mental problems, that had nothing to do with what conference he played in or how tall he was.

Plus, for what it's worth, Bob Stoops loves the kid.

Grabbing his pecker towards the opponent? Good. We could use a little bit of the ghost of Chris gardocki.

WSS

If we have a clear #1 QB in mind among the 1st 3, then we just need to take him. No f'n around, no trading down, no Barkely or anyone else @ #1.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TexasAg1969 said:

If we have a clear #1 QB in mind among the 1st 3, then we just need to take him. No f'n around, no trading down, no Barkely or anyone else @ #1.

Oh I agree with that, it's just that I wouldn't be heartbroken if we wound up with Baker Mayfield.

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

Oh I agree with that, it's just that I wouldn't be heartbroken if we wound up with Baker Mayfield.

WSS

After hearing the Movin' The Chains guys from Sirius XM saying he was the best all week at the Senior Bowl and definitely not JM, I tend to agree Steve. They think he and Rosen are the two best ready for the NFL right now. They think he has all the throws and the leadership skills you need to move an offense. And eats, sleeps, lives football.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, jbluhm86 said:

Roethlisburger has 2 SB rings, yet he played for my alma mater, Miami University, in the MAC conference. Talent is where you find it. 

Good..Tell me reports from Todd Haley will not be coming out comparing size,arm strength & body type of Josh Allen are comparable to BR at school? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

I have been reading that Rudolph is sort of a one trick pony.  He has a great talent for looking, finding, and hitting the long pass.  But is not so good at throwing the out patterns, which is a must in nfl.

I have been saying that Indys #3 pick is key to the first round of picks.  Ideally the Brown's should quickly deal their 4th pick with their late 2nd for it.  Then if want Mayfly over Darnold or whoever, they can take Barkley/Fitz/Chubb at one, or still take qb at one and trade three on draft day to highest bidder getting a boatload more picks or stock up for next year's draft.

Mayfly just doesn't warrant the number one pick.

I'll just say this- if you think a guy is worth the #3 or #4 pick, he's probably worth the #1. That's if we're talking quarterback. I forgot where I saw it, but it sort of goes, if you think taking anything other than a potential franchise quarterback over a position player  at #1, you need to get on a Space X to Mars....   

Regarding Rudolph. Here's part of the report from Walter Football:

Rudolph will need development as a pro. He will have to work on his shaky accuracy and field vision, plus get used to playing under center and calling plays in the huddle. Rudolph is also not very athletic, though he has good size with average arm strength. Going through progressions and reading the field are problems for Rudolph, and he has to improve there for the NFL. His anticipation is terrible, too, and that will have to improve for the pros, or he could be taking a lot of sacks from holding onto the ball too long. 
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#dGibmr2fwhT507Jx.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The person making the argument Baker sucks because of his conference is the same person jacking his beans over Mason Rudolph...who’s in the same conference.

You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

The person making the argument Baker sucks because of his conference is the same person jacking his beans over Mason Rudolph...who’s in the same conference.

You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

Or getting a woody over a guy who completes 56% of his passes in the Mountain West.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously QBs are just like women.  One person can fall in love with one that others think is ugly.  It's all about beauty being in eyes of beholder.  No one is right or wrong until several years have passed and we see who is still married to whom.  Just like with a woman, there is allot more to judge them on than looks or first impressions.  Some guys/teams like only the tall sturdy ones vs shorter allusive ones, some are happiest with ones with big breasts (strong arms) vs nice figure (proper form & accuracy), and there are those who want a great face (head & brains) vs those who want a great body (the right measureables).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/9/2018 at 6:57 AM, SissyBoyFloyd said:

I have been saying that Indys #3 pick is key to the first round of picks. - SBF

Me too and we aren't the only ones.  I brought it up in a couple threads.  This keeps feeling like the most likely scenario to me:

Pick #1: If the biggest reason Dorsey was hired is to get the QB position right in the draft, why would he kick the pick of the litter at QB off our doorstep at #1 for a RB (especially in a draft much deeper at RB than it is at potential franchise QBs)?   Not only that but there's a very good chance the early run on QBs pushes him right on our door step at #4 anyway.

Pick #2:  As soon as Cleveland took the 1st QB off the board (and it's conceivable that QB might not even be the Giants' favorite QB) - why would they kick their pick of the litter at QB off their door step for a RB?   The timing couldn't be any better for them to draft their QB of the future.

Pick #3: A decreasing supply for a huge demand does what?  Creates enough desperation for some competition for a trade-up for Indy's 3rd pick among the following teams: Denver at pick #5; NY Jets at pick #6; Miami Dolphins at pick #11; Arizona Cardinals at pick #15; Buffalo Bills at picks #21 and #22; Jacksonville at #29.  I'd love to promote this NFL version of Wrestlemania with "If Elway ain't cryin - you ain't tryin!"

Pick #4: Cleveland can draft Barkley or whoever they want.  - Flugel

Ideally the Brown's should quickly deal their 4th pick with their late 2nd for it.  Then if want Mayfly over Darnold or whoever, they can take Barkley/Fitz/Chubb at one, or still take qb at one and trade three on draft day to highest bidder getting a boatload more picks or stock up for next year's draft. - SBF

We have 5 picks in the first 2 rounds and the very 1st pick of the 3rd round on a team lacking play makers and consistency at WR, CB, TE, S and RBs not named Duke; so I'd keep all our picks (except 1 of the 2nd rounders we might lose on a veteran FA QB).  That said, the time may be perfect to get ideal exchange value for Josh Gordon at the draft (possibly adding Corey Coleman to that deal).  Hear me out... We also have enough money to lasso the yes price tag of FA Pro Bowl WR Jarvis Landry.  It isn't like we've gotten more than 5 games in a season out of Gordon since 2013 (and that's been his best case scenario). As much as I liked where he got himself to last year - he could bring us some currency.  - Flugel

I have been reading that Rudolph is sort of a one trick pony.  He has a great talent for looking, finding, and hitting the long pass.  But is not so good at throwing the out patterns, which is a must in nfl. - SBF

Good point.   That all worked against the pass defenses or the lack thereof in his conference.  It may even work as temporarily as it worked for Derek Anderson in the NFL.  Sooner or later, if you have too many deficiencies in your short game - those out patterns and tight windows of NFL red zones are going to confine you to backup duty at best. - Flugel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

Obviously QBs are just like women.  One person can fall in love with one that others think is ugly.  It's all about beauty being in eyes of beholder.  No one is right or wrong until several years have passed and we see who is still married to whom.  Just like with a woman, there is allot more to judge them on than looks or first impressions.  Some guys/teams like only the tall sturdy ones vs shorter allusive ones, some are happiest with ones with big breasts (strong arms) vs nice figure (proper form & accuracy), and there are those who want a great face (head & brains) vs those who want a great body (the right measureables).

:D Good analogy.  And the ones that look better with the more beer we drink haven't played for the Browns in the last couple decades...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Hard to disagree with flugel on just about anything. I guess if there was a gun to my head I would take Rosen or Darnold. But I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they took Mayfield especially at number 4.

It really is hard not to like the kid. As far as pre-draft interviews, seriously, who cares? Unless a kid came out and said man I want to play for the Browns even if they trade down to the second round to get me. Everybody wants to be picked high and everybody wants to take that team to the promised land. And there's no reason to believe that he's a head case. I really liked Johnny but he had serious mental problems, that had nothing to do with what conference he played in or how tall he was.

Plus, for what it's worth, Bob Stoops loves the kid.

Grabbing his pecker towards the opponent? Good. We could use a little bit of the ghost of Chris gardocki.

WSS

LMAO. I'm with you. We could use a little bit of pecker-grabbing in Cleveland!

Wait a second.... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

LMAO. I'm with you. We could use a little bit of pecker-grabbing in Cleveland!

Wait a second.... 

Not to worry, you'll see more than a little bit of that in the Barkley threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

The person making the argument Baker sucks because of his conference is the same person jacking his beans over Mason Rudolph...who’s in the same conference.

You can’t make this stuff up, folks.

You REALLY pay very little attention to what is typed on here.....and what you read....or apparently do not read.

I assume you are talking about me because I have noted in the past that Mason Rudolph was "in the mix"  in terms of QBs who may become successful in the pros.

But....do you remember my #1 reservation about him?  If you bothered to open up your squinty little eyes....you would have known that I repeatedly have said the biggest concern for him is his Big 12 roots.

So....you are either purposely obtuse....or reckless in your comments because you make them based on nothing that has a basis in reality....or you are just stupid.

So...which is it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flugel said:

Not to worry, you'll see more than a little bit of that in the Barkley threads. 

That's way beyond pecker-grabbing.

PoG is in full sword-swallowing mode. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:38 PM, hoorta said:

OK, Mo- what don't you like about Baker. I'll listen. 

BIG 12

6'0 tall

spread offense

already tried 6'0 tall QB

Heisman Jinx

overrated

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, 7moses7 said:

BIG 12 Every Big 12 qb will fail? Dalton is at least above average. 

6'0 tall So is Drew Brees, Russell Wilson even shorter. 

spread offense Like Goff ran? 

already tried 6'0 tall QB  Mayfield ≠ Manziel. About the only thing they have in common.  Dorsey: height not an issue with Mayfield.

Heisman Jinx Since 2008 (can't count Mayfield and Jackson yet) there have only been 2 busts- Manziel and Griffin, not as much a jinx as in the past. 

overrated Depends who you talk to... He's moving up the draft boards fast. Walter Football now has us taking Baker at #4.  LOL, you want an omen? Mayfield weighs 216. Cleveland Area Code = 216.  :)

 

PS Mayfield has one thing going for him that none of the other top 5 prospects have- and Bill Parcells used it as one of his top predictors of QB success in the NFL- four year starter. Can't remember the link to advanced metrics I saw- and Baker comes out #1 in that regard, the only other QB that's close is Sam Darnold. And if we take Sam instead, I wouldn't be heartbroken unlike Po who will be devastated if we don't draft his man-crush.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The one thing that comes to mind on Mayfield 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

PS Mayfield has one thing going for him that none of the other top 5 prospects have- and Bill Parcells used it as one of his top predictors of QB success in the NFL- four year starter. Can't remember the link to advanced metrics I saw- and Baker comes out #1 in that regard, the only other QB that's close is Sam Darnold. And if we take Sam instead, I wouldn't be heartbroken unlike Po who will be devastated if we don't draft his man-crush.  

I'm going to laugh my butt off when the Browns take a QB at #1 and when they are on the clock at #4 they take.... someone not named Saquon Barkley. :lol: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Flugs, buddy... you're about the last person I expected to get caught in the Mayfield trap.  

I'll speak up- you think he's a one read wonder, and is too short? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×