THE BROWNS BOARD

Nice Article/Interview for Baker Mayfield Enthusiasts

Flugel

Baker Mayfield is emerging as my favorite QB at #1 overall right there with Darnold-DucknobodyblockedBosaagain. Here's an article below - if you want to see and listen to the videos - open the link. 

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Baker-Mayfield-would-embrace-being-No-1-pick-‘I-want-to-be-the-guy-for-a-franchise’/a455ec8f-fb90-4738-8882-2818c663562f

Baker Mayfield would embrace being No. 1 pick: ‘I want to be the guy for a franchise’

Posted 25 minutes ago

patrick-maks.jpg Patrick Maks Staff Writer Twitter

•  
  •  

The Oklahoma QB is projected to be a first-round pick

Baker Mayfield believes he’s the best quarterback in this year’s NFL Draft class.

As such, the former Oklahoma star and Heisman Trophy winner, said he’d embrace the opportunity to be the top pick this spring and, subsequently, help turn the Browns around after the franchise’s first winless season.

“I’d take it, absolutely,” Mayfield told NFL Network at the Super Bowl last week. “People talk about, they'd rather fall down in the draft to the right team. No — I want to play somewhere that’s a challenge, I want to be the guy for a franchise. I want to be the face of a franchise and I want turn it around.”

Mayfield, perhaps one of the most polarizing prospects in this year’s draft, is among several quarterbacks widely projected to be first-round picks. It’s a list that includes USC’s Sam Darnold, UCLA’s Josh Rosen, Wyoming’s Josh Allen and Louisville’s Lamar Jackson.

The Browns, owners of the first and fourth overall selections, will continue their dissection of those signal-callers in search of an elusive long-term answer at the position.

In an interview two weeks ago at the Senior Bowl, new Browns general manager John Dorsey said multiple quarterbacks in this year’s class have caught the team’s attention. “There are four or five prospects in this class that make you think at least whether they’re worthy of that position (at No. 1),” he said. “We’re at the beginning stages, let’s understand who they are as people, let’s understand them as football players, let’s see if they can be the face of the franchise and are they the guys for the Cleveland Browns. That’s how I look at it.”

Mayfield, a former walk-on at Texas Tech who’s earned high marks from evaluators for his accuracy, poise in the pocket, mobility and leadership qualities, would appear to be firmly in that mix.  To be certain, he’ll face questions regarding his maturity (he celebrated an upset win against Ohio State by planting a flag midfield at the Horseshoe and, later in the year, made a crude gesture during a game against Kansas) and an arrest last spring for public intoxication and disorderly conduct.

Dorsey, asked specifically about Mayfield (who was one of several top prospects on display at the Senior Bowl), played down those concerns. “I think it’s a narrative you guys have created. We’ll see. I haven't really met him, I don't really know who he is as a person,” said Dorsey, who added he was in attendance at the Kansas game prior to joining the Browns' front office in December. “I think after I do meet him I’ll be able to see what's deep inside him and see what makes him click and that's part of the process.”

That process continues in three weeks at the league’s annual scouting combine. Mayfield will have the opportunity to keep making his case.

Asked what kind of player he’ll be in the NFL, Mayfield said: “(They’re getting) a winner, somebody that cares more about it than anybody else in that building.” 

“I'd really do anything for those guys, doesn't matter what team it is,” he continued. “They get a winner, they get somebody who really cares about the game and who loves it.”

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Two Words:  

Big 12.  

History says we are better off going FCS....or mid major. Or Big Ten/Pac 10/SEC.

I'm not wild about the Big 12 and how little it contests passers/receivers - but I am wild about the QB.  He beat Ohio State AT Ohio State and then he scored 48 points on UGA in a double OT loss.  While we're at it here - you are aware the Mason Rudolph you are most fond of also played in the Big 12 right? 

There was a trend once upon a time that concluded don't draft a Tedford System QB.  Then 1 day the Green Bay Packers dared to challenge the trend and drafted themselves Aaron Rodgers at #24 overall.  Sometimes it takes balls to win.

Before that, another trend said don't fall for the BYU system QB when guys like Gifford Nielson, Marc Wilson, Ty Detmer, Robbie Boscoe and others never panned out or found a better niche than backup QB.  But Jim McMahon and Steve Young were 2 QBs bucked such a trend. They became Superbowl Winning QBs that made NFL Pro Bowls as well

There was a time when NFL Teams and scouts were wary of drafting a Veer Option QB. And then Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb came along and made countless Pro Bowls via leading their teams to numerous post seasons and the Superbowl.  Favre's backup of 9 years at Green Bay sure liked using that RPO with his Championship Winning QB this year. 

Manziel played in the SEC and that didn't do ski-wat for us. 

You draft the player - not the school or the conference.  As I said, the other QB I like just as much is Sam Darnold. 

5 minutes ago, Flugel said:

You draft the player - not the school or the conference.  As I said, the other QB I like just as much is Sam Darnold.  

& OTOH, just because a guy is from a power 5 school other than Big 12, doesn't mean he's any less of a risk. Between Carson Palmer and Sam Darnold, USC churned out notable busts like Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez, 

31 minutes ago, hoorta said:

& OTOH, just because a guy is from a power 5 school other than Big 12, doesn't mean he's any less of a risk. Between Carson Palmer and Sam Darnold, USC churned out notable busts like Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez, 

Not to mention guys like Jake Locker, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, and Todd Marijuanavich also came out of the Pac 12.  None of them became as good as Troy Aikman.  You draft the player - not the conference.

And just because Notre Dame's Joe Montana and Joe Theisman became great NFL QBs - that didn't mean Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer and DeShone Kizer would be great QBs too.  You draft the player - not the school.

Just because the U QBs like Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde all became solid-great NFL starters - it never meant or guaranteed Craig Erickson, Gino Toretta, Steve Walsh, and Ken Dorsey would be just as good. 

Bob Griese and Drew Brees succeeding in the NFL after Purdue never meant Mike Phipps and Kyle Orton would as well.

Speaking of conferences, it wasn't like the one Carson Wentz came out of was stock-piling the NFL right?

13 minutes ago, Flugel said:

I'm not wild about the Big 12 and how little it contests passers/receivers - but I am wild about the QB.  He beat Ohio State AT Ohio State and then he scored 48 points on UGA in a double OT loss.  While we're at it here - you are aware the Mason Rudolph you are most fond of also played in the Big 12 right? 

There was a trend once upon a time that concluded don't draft a Tedford System QB.  Then 1 day the Green Bay Packers dared to challenge the trend and drafted themselves Aaron Rodgers at #24 overall.  Sometimes it takes balls to win.

Before that, another trend said don't fall for the BYU system QB when guys like Gifford Nielson, Marc Wilson, Ty Detmer, Robbie Boscoe and others never panned out or found a better niche than backup QB.  But Jim McMahon and Steve Young were 2 QBs bucked such a trend. They became Superbowl Winning QBs that made NFL Pro Bowls as well

There was a time when NFL Teams and scouts were wary of drafting a Veer Option QB. And then Brett Favre and Donovan McNabb came along and made countless Pro Bowls via leading their teams to numerous post seasons and the Superbowl.  Favre's backup of 9 years at Green Bay sure liked using that RPO with his Championship Winning QB this year. 

Um, yea, fair point.  But....

At some point in time...sure, some Big 12 QB has to break that conferences trend of not producing very good QBs.  Maybe Doolin' Dalton has done it a bit.  Maybe Mahomes can.  Maybe Mayfield can.   But:  Vince Young couldn't, Colt couldn't. RGIII couldn't ultimately. Bradford really couldn't. They were all pretty much rated as highly as Mayfield.  Those guys have a collection of 2-3 Heisman's.  Throw Jason White in there. 

But its just terrible to have to go back to the likes of Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, John Hadl to find a decent B12 QB.    Teams have more success with the "smaller schools" than they have had with Big 12 schools.    Derek Carr, BR, Wentz, Flacco,  maybe Garropolo if he becomes all that.etc. all smaller schools. 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Um, yea, fair point.  But....

At some point in time...sure, some Big 12 QB has to break that conferences trend of not producing very good QBs.  Maybe Doolin' Dalton has done it a bit.  Maybe Mahomes can.  Maybe Mayfield can.   But:  Vince Young couldn't, Colt couldn't. RGIII couldn't ultimately. Bradford really couldn't. They were all pretty much rated as highly as Mayfield.  Those guys have a collection of 2-3 Heisman's.  Throw Jason White in there. 

But its just terrible to have to go back to the likes of Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, John Hadl to find a decent B12 QB.    Teams have more success with the "smaller schools" than they have had with Big 12 schools.    Derek Carr, BR, Wentz, Flacco,  maybe Garropolo if he becomes all that.etc. all smaller schools. 

I still think you got to look at the player more than the school or conference.  That's not to say I don't want to see how prospects did against the biggest challenges on their schedule. 

38 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Not to mention guys like Jake Locker, Ryan Leaf, Cade McNown, Akili Smith, Kyle Boller, and Todd Marijuanavich also came out of the Pac 12.  None of them became as good as Troy Aikman.  You draft the player - not the conference.

And just because Notre Dame's Joe Montana and Joe Theisman became great NFL QBs - that didn't mean Brady Quinn, Rick Mirer and DeShone Kizer would be great QBs too.  You draft the player - not the school.

Just because the U QBs like Jim Kelly, Bernie Kosar and Vinny Testaverde all became solid-great NFL starters - it never meant or guaranteed Craig Erickson, Gino Toretta, Steve Walsh, and Ken Dorsey would be just as good. 

Speaking of conferences, it wasn't like the one Carson Wentz came out of was stock-piling the NFL right?

Excellent post Tom! Now we just have to wait & see which player(s) Dorsey & Staff like. I can't wait for this draft!!!

Mike

6 hours ago, Flugel said:

I still think you got to look at the player more than the school or conference.  That's not to say I don't want to see how prospects did against the biggest challenges on their schedule. 

Problem is the lesser schools, you just don't get to see many (if any) of their games. Only got to see MIke White at the Senior Bowl.   ESPN did us amateur scouts a favor showing a bunch of Josh Allen's games, since he's a highly regarded prospect in some corners..Unfortunately I didn't like what I saw. Watching Foles & Brady in the Super Bowl, I'm more convinced than ever having a rocket launcher arm is a plus, but not necessary for NFL success. Plenty of slow moving rainbows tossed by both QBs- the key there was they were accurate

PS- Regarding the SB, there was an amazing stat I saw tonight on Fox Ohio's Red Zone. The Patriots didn't punt the entire game- and still lost. 

3 weeks until the combine. I like watching that. Usually have excellent commentary going on throughout, both about the history on players as well as their performances in the various events. Tues. Feb 27-Monday March 5.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Problem is the lesser schools, you just don't get to see many (if any) of their games. Only got to see MIke White at the Senior Bowl.   ESPN did us amateur scouts a favor showing a bunch of Josh Allen's games, since he's a highly regarded prospect in some corners..Unfortunately I didn't like what I saw. Watching Foles & Brady in the Super Bowl, I'm more convinced than ever having a rocket launcher arm is a plus, but not necessary for NFL success. Plenty of slow moving rainbows tossed by both QBs- the key there was they were accurate.  

And played in a Dome :angry:..Imagine Brady's numbers if half his games were in a dome. Brees & C. Keenum dropped many dimes in that same dome 2 weeks ago..Not many good numbers on Keenum outdoors. Strafford & Ryan maybe the best that can take some off to drop ball in from dome to outdoors? If ya like Mike White watch some tape on Luke Falk. Reminds me of Nick Foles running RPO's     

13 hours ago, Flugel said:

Bob Griese and Drew Brees succeeding in the NFL after Purdue never meant Mike Phipps and Kyle Orton would as well.

Hey, common now, BQ could've been a contender.....

16 hours ago, Flugel said:

Sure...you can look at the player...not the conference.....but when you have SO many QBs from the same conference become abject failures in this league.....there must be a reason.

So...can you explain it?

45 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Sure...you can look at the player...not the conference.....but when you have SO many QBs from the same conference become abject failures in this league.....there must be a reason.

So...can you explain it?

It would take some doing to correlate starting NFL QBs by conference. A lot of the Big 12 flops never had me saying, wow, this guy looks like a potentially great NFL QB. Bradford may have made it to that level if he wasn't always hurt. Aikman started in the Big 12 before he transferred.

17 minutes ago, hoorta said:

It would take some doing to correlate starting NFL QBs by conference. A lot of the Big 12 flops never had me saying, wow, this guy looks like a potentially great NFL QB. Bradford may have made it to that level if he wasn't always hurt. Aikman started in the Big 12 before he transferred.

It was probably still The Big 8 when Aikman was there. 

I think, maybe, that the reason that Aikman left OK is part of the reason that the Big 12 does not produce good NFL QBs.  Aikman WAS a top NFL prospect....but the style of play in that conference was...and has not so much, been conducive to a pocket passer.  The wide open spread type offenses just do not train QBs for the NFL.

Maybe a bit has changed.  As noted....Dalton has had some success.    And...to my mind...I think that it is highly possible that a Mason Rudolph....more of a pocket passer....could have more NFL success than Baker Mayfield.  We shall see.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I think, maybe, that the reason that Aikman left OK is part of the reason that the Big 12 does not produce good NFL QBs.  Aikman WAS a top NFL prospect....but the style of play in that conference was...and has not so much, been conducive to a pocket passer.  The wide open spread type offenses just do not train QBs for the NFL.

Maybe a bit has changed.  As noted....Dalton has had some success.    And...to my mind...I think that it is highly possible that a Mason Rudolph....more of a pocket passer....could have more NFL success than Baker Mayfield.  We shall see.

True Rudolph is more of a pocket passer, but has far more flaws in his game than Mayfield. I've noted Mason is extremely well spoken in his interview at the Senior Bowl. I will dang guarantee you Baker will go off the board long before Mason does.. 

BTW, that CBS Mock that you were loving on has dropped Rudolph from #1 down to #21- Buffalo. They have Mayfield going #6 to the Jets, but if Denver doesn't land Cousins- he doesn't drop farther than #5, I've been saying for weeks the Colts are open for business and will listen to any offers for their #3 if anyone want to trade up for a QB. They have the Browns drafting Darnold #1- which I can get behind, They have us taking Joshua Jackson at #4, and that's the first time I've seen him going that thigh. Walter Football does have him rated as the #1 CB prospect, and Lord knows we need some help there. PS- Po is going to be so disappointed his bestest ever RB drops to #9 to San Fran. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

True Rudolph is more of a pocket passer, but has far more flaws in his game than Mayfield. I've noted Mason is extremely well spoken in his interview at the Senior Bowl. I will dang guarantee you Baker will go off the board long before Mason does.. 

I don't know that he has more flaws.  What are those flaws?   While maybe Mayfield may go off the board before Rudolph....that does not mean he will be a better pro QB than Rudolph.

BTW, that CBS Mock that you were loving on has dropped Rudolph from #1 down to #21- Buffalo. They have Mayfield going #6 to the Jets

See...this is where even YOU have to learn the difference between a talent ranking and a mock draft.  Mock drafts are designed to predict what NFL teams will do in the draft....NOT what the best talent is.   A whole lotta rankings have  Barkley as the best talent in this draft....but very few mock him to the Browns.  Mocks are projections of what the person making it thinks what a team WILL do...not what they SHOULD do.

, but if Denver doesn't land Cousins- he doesn't drop farther than #5, I've been saying for weeks the Colts are open for business and will listen to any offers for their #3 if anyone want to trade up for a QB. They have the Browns drafting Darnold #1- which I can get behind, They have us taking Joshua Jackson at #4, and that's the first time I've seen him going that thigh. Walter Football does have him rated as the #1 CB prospect, and Lord knows we need some help there. PS- Po is going to be so disappointed his bestest ever RB drops to #9 to San Fran. 

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

See...this is where even YOU have to learn the difference between a talent ranking and a mock draft.  Mock drafts are designed to predict what NFL teams will do in the draft....NOT what the best talent is.   A whole lotta rankings have  Barkley as the best talent in this draft....but very few mock him to the Browns.  Mocks are projections of what the person making it thinks what a team WILL do...not what they SHOULD do.

Yada, yada. I KNOW. Walter Football has Rudolph ranked as the #7th Qb, some scouts Walt talked to have him as a day three prospect. NFL.com ditto, 7th ranked QB prospect. Jeremiah doesn't even have Rudolph in his top 50 prospects (all positions). If you want to think we should draft Rudolph in the top 4, that's going to be a very minority opinion. 

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

How many star QBs did Syracuse and Pitt put in the NFL prior to McNabb and Marino?  And how about So Miss before Favre?  And Alcorn State before Steve McNair? And how about Miami of Ohio before Ben Rapen?  Wisconsin before Russell Wilson (who transferred to Wisconsin)?

The problem I see in college football is the type of offenses QBs are being trained in haven't always been compatible to many NFL Offenses/Coaching Staffs/Systems/etc.  The ones that are willing to utilize some of the offenses these kids come from seem to get more out of a Cam Newton or take your pick of an example.

We don't have time to get into detail.  You just have to watch the QB enough to make a confident prediction.  Some guys take time like Drew Drew Brees. After his 3rd year wth SD sporting the worst NFL record - they used their #1 overall pick on a QB.  The rookie QB held out and Brees went 12-4 and made the Pro Bowl.  Not everyone emerges at the same rate depending on what they have to overcome in learning curve and surrounding talent, etc.

Mayfield isn't going to be for everyone in here as you can see. 

37 minutes ago, Flugel said:

How many star QBs did Syracuse and Pitt put in the NFL prior to McNabb and Marino?  And how about So Miss before Favre?  And Alcorn State before Steve McNair? And how about Miami of Ohio before Ben Rapen?  Wisconsin before Russell Wilson (who transferred to Wisconsin)?

The problem I see in college football is the type of offenses QBs are being trained in haven't always been compatible to many NFL Offenses/Coaching Staffs/Systems/etc.  The ones that are willing to utilize some of the offenses these kids come from seem to get more out of a Cam Newton or take your pick of an example.

We don't have time to get into detail.  You just have to watch the QB enough to make a confident prediction.  Some guys take time like Drew Drew Brees. After his 3rd year wth SD sporting the worst NFL record - they used their #1 overall pick on a QB.  The rookie QB held out and Brees went 12-4 and made the Pro Bowl.  Not everyone emerges at the same rate depending on what they have to overcome in learning curve and surrounding talent, etc.

Mayfield isn't going to be for everyone in here as you can see. 

Yea what he said!!   Baker Mayfield 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

I am a HUGE Baker Mayfield Fan. Interesting take here...   https://www.dawgsbynature.com/2018/2/8/16953726/krupkas-baker-mayfield-film-room

That being said, I am most excited about the Team of successful  football guys that we now have doing the selecting, so I'll be good with whomever their choice(s) may be.

Mike

On 2/7/2018 at 8:24 AM, 7moses7 said:

Yea what he said!!   Baker Mayfield 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

OK, Mo- what don't you like about Baker. I'll listen. 

I have been reading that Rudolph is sort of a one trick pony.  He has a great talent for looking, finding, and hitting the long pass.  But is not so good at throwing the out patterns, which is a must in nfl.

I have been saying that Indys #3 pick is key to the first round of picks.  Ideally the Brown's should quickly deal their 4th pick with their late 2nd for it.  Then if want Mayfly over Darnold or whoever, they can take Barkley/Fitz/Chubb at one, or still take qb at one and trade three on draft day to highest bidder getting a boatload more picks or stock up for next year's draft.

Mayfly just doesn't warrant the number one pick.

Here's where I'm at now:  If there was a way to combine 2 qb's, I'd smush together Josh Rosen and Baker Mayfield. I love the physical aspects of Rosen and the way he spins the rock, but I really believe the intangibles of Mayfield are going to prove invaluable. Our team is historically awful, and we need a guy who just isn't afraid of our challenge, but who EMBRACES it. I'm placing a very high importance on this, and I think our GM will too. 

This is not a dig on Rosen, as I still believe he's the best "start now" prospect entering the draft. But that's not the only thing to look at concerning our unique situation because we've just been THAT bad. We need a guy who can lift our team up, inspire greatness from others, and someone who won't accept continuous losing. Just watch Baker before his college games. Watch how infectious his attitude is, his fire, drive...and check out how his team responds. They're jumping around him, bouncing around, completely ready to go into battle. Baker is also very accurate and really attacks the middle of the field VERY well. 

At this early stage, my guy is Mayfield, and I think that's where we are leaning at this moment. 

Hard to disagree with flugel on just about anything. I guess if there was a gun to my head I would take Rosen or Darnold. But I would not be the slightest bit unhappy if they took Mayfield especially at number 4.

It really is hard not to like the kid. As far as pre-draft interviews, seriously, who cares? Unless a kid came out and said man I want to play for the Browns even if they trade down to the second round to get me. Everybody wants to be picked high and everybody wants to take that team to the promised land. And there's no reason to believe that he's a head case. I really liked Johnny but he had serious mental problems, that had nothing to do with what conference he played in or how tall he was.

Plus, for what it's worth, Bob Stoops loves the kid.

Grabbing his pecker towards the opponent? Good. We could use a little bit of the ghost of Chris gardocki.

WSS

On 2/5/2018 at 4:31 PM, The Gipper said:

Two Words:  

Big 12.  

History says we are better off going FCS....or mid major. Or Big Ten/Pac 10/SEC.

Roethlisburger has 2 SB rings, yet he played for my alma mater, Miami University, in the MAC conference. Talent is where you find it. 

Archived