THE BROWNS BOARD

CFL's most outstanding player moonlights as teller? NFL overpaid?

mjp28

The CFL’s Most Outstanding Player Moonlights as a Banker

https://www.si.com/2014/06/26/cfl-offseason-jobs-jon-cornish-calgary-stampeders

A man walks up to the bank window. “Wow,” the man says to the teller. “You look exactly like Jon Cornish, the running back for the Calgary Stampeders.”

The bank teller smiles. He’s bald, like Cornish, has broad shoulders, like Cornish, and that grin? It looks awfully familiar.

Another customer from the back of the line interjects. “Hold up,” he says. “That doesn’t just look like Jon Cornish, that is Jon Cornish!”

“The whole scene seems a bit corny,” says the bank teller, who is in fact the real Jon Cornish. “But that’s my life. Interactions like that happen all the time.”

Cornish, the 29-year-old British Columbia-born, Kansas-schooled running back is the reigning Canadian Football League Most Outstanding Player. Last year, he broke his own single-season rushing record with 1,813 yards, led the league with 2,157 yards from scrimmage and scored 14 touchdowns. When he’s not wearing his No. 9 jersey, he suits up (literally) for his second job at a TD Canada Trust branch near a mall in Calgary.........

...........Take three NFL Hall of Famers, for example. Giants linebacker Sam Huff won a championship as a rookie in 1956. His $7,500 paycheck barely covered New York City living expenses, so he returned to West Virginia over the summer and bagged groceries. Y.A. Tittle moonlighted as an insurance salesman and Oilers defensive end Elvin Bethea worked at a Big & Tall clothing store in the offseason. The manager initially placed the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Bethea in the front of the store to greet customers. But when too many fans stopped by to ask for autographs or simply gawk, Bethea was granted his wish to work in a back room.........

.........The CFL’s recently ratified collective bargaining agreement set the salary cap at $5 million per year, per team—an uptick from the previous $4.4 million. For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000. The Houston Texans No. 1 pick, Jadeveon Clowney, by contrast, will earn a $420,000 base salary (with a $3.6 million prorated bonus) in 2014......... MUCH MORE IN LINK........

So do think NFL players and most all American major sports players are a bunch of overpaid spoiled brats? Hmmmmm.

5 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

So do think NFL players and most all American major sports players are a bunch of overpaid spoiled brats? Hmmmmm.

At the price Cousins is going to command, Haslam could easily buy a CFL franchise instead. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

At the price Cousins is going to command, Haslam could easily buy a CFL franchise instead. 

Hassle'em is the only NFL owner that has a pyrite mine that churns out gold for him every year. My bet is that he won't bid that high on Cousins, but might get a cheaper (and lessor) QB for a bridge to one of these rookies and pay for a real QB whisperer (not Huey Fig Newton) to turn Kizer's arm accurate in the off season.

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Do you have a problem with the money owners of these teams make?

Yes if it changes the whole world economy wacky with game tickets, parking, souvenirs -and- hot dogs and beverages for four into $X,XXX.XX territory and forget actually GOING to the super bowl unless you're an overpriced movie star.....or related to an American major sports star!  

But I hear TV for four with hotdogs and chips is still reasonable in America. :lol:

1 minute ago, mjp28 said:

Yes if it changes the whole world economy wacky with game tickets, parking, souvenirs -and- hot dogs and beverages for four into $X,XXX.XX territory and forget actually GOING to the super bowl unless you're an overpriced movie star.....or related to an American major sports star!  

But I hear TV for four with hotdogs and chips is still reasonable in America. :lol:

Yet you don't call the owner "spoiled brats", even though we taxpayers subsidize their sports teams with amazing tax breaks, funding for stadiums, arenas, etc... Interesting.

5 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yet you don't call the owner "spoiled brats", even though we taxpayers subsidize their sports teams with amazing tax breaks, funding for stadiums, arenas, etc... Interesting.

Oh they're the worst! Especially with their grown up spoiled brat kids in the luxury boxes who don't even watch the game. 

........oh edit add, and the trophy wives who read books! Meanwhile we might be in row ZZ if we can score a ticket.

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

A man walks up to the bank window. “Wow,” the man says to the teller. “You look exactly like Jon Cornish, the running back for the Calgary Stampeders.”

The bank teller smiles. He’s bald, like Cornish, has broad shoulders, like Cornish, and that grin? It looks awfully familiar.

Another customer from the back of the line interjects. “Hold up,” he says. “That doesn’t just look like Jon Cornish, that is Jon Cornish!”

“The whole scene seems a bit corny,” says the bank teller, who is in fact the real Jon Cornish. “But that’s my life. Interactions like that happen all the time.”

Feels made up...

Not a single "eh?" in the quotes.

11 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Spoiled? Maybe.

Overpaid? No... market rate.

12 hours ago, hoorta said:

Curious......are there rules in Canada against "foreigners" owning CFL teams?   Sure...that could be Americans....but there are foreign owners of major league teams in this country.  (the guy that owns the Nets for example).

And the discussion about JFF wanting $500,000.00 to play there?   With only a $5 mill salary cap...he would take up the great huge chunk of it.

12 hours ago, mjp28 said:

...........Take three NFL Hall of Famers, for example. Giants linebacker Sam Huff won a championship as a rookie in 1956. His $7,500 paycheck barely covered New York City living expenses, so he returned to West Virginia over the summer and bagged groceries. Y.A. Tittle moonlighted as an insurance salesman and Oilers defensive end Elvin Bethea worked at a Big & Tall clothing store in the offseason. The manager initially placed the 6-foot-2, 260-pound Bethea in the front of the store to greet customers. But when too many fans stopped by to ask for autographs or simply gawk, Bethea was granted his wish to work in a back room.........

Bethea played in the 70's... I'd be surprised if he had to "moonlight" to make ends meet.

Off-season jobs out of necessity were common in the 50's.... were still a thing in the 60's. I wonder when they died off...

One of the last "working" Browns that comes to mind is Paul Warfield. IIRC he worked for a car dealership trading his celebrity for learning the business.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Bethea played in the 70's... I'd be surprised if he had to "moonlight" to make ends meet.

Off-season jobs out of necessity were common in the 50's.... were still a thing in the 60's. I wonder when they died off...

One of the last "working" Browns that comes to mind is Paul Warfield. IIRC he worked for a car dealership trading his celebrity for learning the business.

As some know- it's part of the reason my jersey is #46.  Retired number, and the reason is the guy who wore it in the 60s Don Fleming had an off season job working for CEI (Cleveland Electric\Illuminating). Don got himself electrocuted working on the job, and the Browns retired his number. '46 is also the year of the Browns birth.   

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yeah my last job in the steel business one of our customers guys up on the lake near Erie was a famous 1960s-1970s BROWNS OL, seemed strange to be talking about construction jobs with him.....used to block for Jim Brown in his pro football  career.

4 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah my last job in the steel business one of our customers guys up on the lake near Erie was a famous 1960s-1970s BROWNS OL, seemed strange to be talking about construction jobs with him.....used to block for Jim Brown in his pro football  career.

Gene Hickerson? finger Schafrath?

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Curious......are there rules in Canada against "foreigners" owning CFL teams?   Sure...that could be Americans....but there are foreign owners of major league teams in this country.  (the guy that owns the Nets for example).

And the discussion about JFF wanting $500,000.00 to play there?   With only a $5 mill salary cap...he would take up the great huge chunk of it.

I'm sure there are.

Interesting observations on Manziel and the Browns from Brian Hoyer. Sounds like he has no animosity for his former teammate and also observes that the injury to Alex wrecked the team's offense because they could no longer run.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/02/brian_hoyer_admits_johnny_manz.html

57 minutes ago, wargograw said:

My high school had a quote. "We're rich, we're white, we're Westlake." 

Hey CFL. We're rich. We're, umm, majority white. We're the USA.

You left out something.. "We're rich, we're white, we're Westlake." " And..." "We're Gay!!"

3 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Which Westlake are you talking about.  The one on the West side of Cuyahoga Co....or one in Texass?

Uhmm Cuyahoga, Dude!

12 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I don't think that is the one they are talking about though.

It was meant in Jest , None the less...

On 2/5/2018 at 12:07 AM, hoorta said:

Foles= overrated. great backup on a great team. 

Agreed.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:23 AM, The Gipper said:

Which Westlake are you talking about.  The one on the West side of Cuyahoga Co....or one in Texass?

Here.

On 2/3/2018 at 1:09 PM, Tour2ma said:

I happened to see the Arena League players, wow those guys now all have to moonlight. They are paid per game!

OH JUST stumbled into the AFL salaries, Australian Football League, they don't if they want. $xxx,xxx salaries. 

Arena .......Before the league was reset in 2010, salaries were competitive. The league minimum for players was $31,000, though six-figure contracts weren’t uncommon, pushing the average salary near $80,000.

Now, under a single-entity model where players sign contracts with the league, they make $830 a game — $775 for rookies, with quarterbacks earning an extra $250 per start. To offset the meager salaries, players are given three meals a day and have the option of renting an apartment provided by the team, and often arranged by the coach, for $600 per month.

About half of the players on the Soul supplement their income with a second job, while all but two or three have assistance with housing. Around the league, players have been known to work as bouncers at nightclubs or personal trainers at local.......

........The AFL Players Association negotiates for players with the AFL on the topic of average salary. In June 2017, the AFL and AFL Players Association agreed to a new CBA deal which resulted in a 20% increase in players salary. The six-year deal, which begins in 2017 and ends in 2022 means that the average player wage rises from $309,000 to $371,000 and the player salary cap from $10.37m to $12.45m. In 2022, the final year of the agreement, the average player wage will be $389,000 with a salary cap of $13.54m.......... :o

Unless you are very well compensated you better love to play professional football even semi pro, you can get permanently hurt!

Archived