THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 QB Class

Westside Steve

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't worry. If Smith vetoed a trade to the Browns, you really think Cousins is coming here, regardless of how much loot we throw at him?

Nope.  I never, ever believed that.  As I said once, We'd be a last resort.  Slightly above flipping burgers.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't worry. If Smith vetoed a trade to the Browns, you really think Cousins is coming here, regardless of how much loot we throw at him?

Money talks but the price has become too high for Cousins. Dorsey already made those big money mistakes at KC. Will he repeat it for short term gains?

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Coughlin is still around. I just saw him in a feature a couple of weeks ago.   I never thought he was much good....and based on recent viewing...that has not changed.

I thought he was funny more than anything else and he at least gave the impression he belted down a few beers at an Irish pub somewhere before his set.LOL

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... What's the saying? "Damning with faint praise"?

I guess. :)  But ya know, last night I read some guy's write up on the QB's and he said the same thing I said, long, looping, but get's through it fast.  :)  ...and he said what I said about Mayfield, throws from all kinds of positions.

11 hours ago, nickers said:

I thought he was funny more than anything else and he at least gave the impression he belted down a few beers at an Irish pub somewhere before his set.LOL

What consists of a seven-course Irish meal?

A six-pack of beer and a potato.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

What consists of a seven-course Irish meal?

A six-pack of beer and a potato.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Close to the same here in Texas. 6 pack and potato CHIPS.

You're BOTH wrong....

A 6 pack & a shot o' good Irish Whiskey....I prefer Old Bushmill to Jameson (the Protestants beat we Catholics in the makin' of the whiskey!).

Mike

On 1/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, boo fagley said:

I noticed that you were  puzzled of my numbers. Take half the money out of your piggy bank and give it to me. I have 50% and you have 50%. See how that works??

Hilarious, you are arguing over 6 more completions per 100 attempts. Thats 24 more completions @ 400 attempts divide by 16 games = 1.5 additional completions per game to reach 62%. Brady completes so many short 5 yard passes its  impossible for him to not be in the 66% range which is 2 completions out 3 attempts and the winning formula. Brady, Rogers, Ryan, Brees even Alex Smith are all 66% passers. Allen needs 10 more completions per 100 to reach the 66% plateau. 2.5 completions per 16 games with better coaching, better OL, better WRs, better RBs.

Allen needs coaching up. Brady needed coaching up. Its foolish to believe that these QBs come from winning college programs and start winning in the NFL the same way. Brady is constantly working on his throwing motion and footwork. 

Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

You're BOTH wrong....

A 6 pack & a shot o' good Irish Whiskey....I prefer Old Bushmill to Jameson (the Protestants beat we Catholics in the makin' of the whiskey!).

Mike

You boys got a lot a learnin' to do about south of the border rums.:P

16 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Dan Coughlin is a typical outspoken Irishman an old favorite of many of us other old Irishmen in NE Ohio. He could not be called boring.

Mike

I am an old Irishman in NE Ohio.   (I actually have dual Irish citizenship).   And I can call him boring.

7 hours ago, broganreynik said:

You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats.

It's what he does... the man knows his limitations.

Great idea for a new avatar for him... 5a73472a9dbbe_CaptObvious.jpg.1d1ad3ee891b9b24dbb537cd14ec51cd.jpg

Z?

Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

“Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

“Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

4 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I had read something about Peyton Manning possibly getting a similar show next season but it was speculation.

Jay Cutler, actually.

He'd be the anti-Gruden. It would be a half hour of snide remarks, resting bitch face stares into the camera, and eye rolls.

17 hours ago, broganreynik said:

Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

You were confused, but glad to see your 1 yo son understands percentages. He didnt get his brains from his Pa thats for sure.

I will side with those who evaluate NFL talent before the Rain Man of the Browns forum. Thanks anyway.

8 hours ago, boo fagley said:

You were confused, but glad to see your 1 yo son understands percentages. He didnt get his brains from his Pa thats for sure.

I will side with those who evaluate NFL talent before the Rain Man of the Browns forum. Thanks anyway.

sarcasm

[sahr-kaz-uh m]

noun

1. harsh or bitter derision or irony.

2. a sharply ironical taunt; sneering or cutting remark

Once again, your puerile simplicity can’t decipher facetious if it bit you in the tuckus.

Sidenote: not cool with the Rain Man remark. My sister is mentally disabled, and it’s cretins like you that can’t handle their own mental inferiority, so you attempt derision. Thing is, she knows she’s smarter than you. She has a legit reason, whereas you are willfully ignorant.

16 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bruce Arians believes college QB crop may be “best in the last 15 or 20 years”

Posted by Curtis Crabtree on February 1, 2018, 1:03 AM EST
617642580-e1503438105583.jpg?w=560&h=316
Getty Images

Bruce Arians may not be coaching the Arizona Cardinals anymore, but that doesn’t mean he’s not still invested in the game he coached for 42 years.

In an interview with Josh Weinfuss of ESPN.com at the Waste Management Open on Wednesday, Arians spoke glowingly about the group of college quarterbacks eligible to be drafted in April.

“Oh, I think it’s outstanding,” Arians said. “Maybe the best in 15 or 20 years. The number of quality guys with height, stature, arms, statistics… I really wish I had the chance to meet each and every one and do all the evaluations but I think right now you could be sitting at 14 and get a quarterback. People are going to start trading up and everything but there’s enough quality guys to go around for everybody.

Arians’ former team needs a quarterback following the retirement of Carson Palmer after the season. They will certainly be one of the teams pouring time into evaluations of all of the quarterbacks available in the class.

Arians said there’s a lot of quarterbacks that have made an impression on him from this year’s crop.

“Talent-wise, I mean, Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, (Josh) Allen,” he said. “Baker (Mayfield) has that charisma. I love Lamar Jackson. I think he’s got an unbelievable skill set. Mason Rudolph beat my (Virginia Tech) Hokies with that deep ball and he may have the best deep ball of all of them. You could go on and on.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/01/bruce-arians-believes-college-qb-crop-may-be-best-in-the-last-15-or-20-years/

Tour....what the heck is wrong with me? Scratch that, we don't have time to go into that, and I don't need my therapist responding on this thread. But I don't have this class as anything THAT special? Am I the only one? Sure I love Rosen's ability, and I believe Darnold has some crazy tools, although super raw, but this doesn't feel any different from the past few years. I have Josh Allen as a 2nd to 3rd round pick, and only 3 qb's ranked for the first round (Rosen, Darnold, and Mayfield). Am I forgetting someone? I absolutely love Lamar Jackson, but I consider him to be more of a project than the others, thus giving him a 2nd round grade (although I think someone falls in love with him and trades back into 1st round). There's a CHANCE I will move Mason Rudolph into the 1st round, but to be fair, I haven't evaluated him yet, and I'm slow to warm to big, slow white guys from Oklahoma State (ahem, Weeden). 

I fully respect Bruce Arians, and I was one of fans who was ticked when we didn't hire him in past years. I think he knows qb's, so maybe I'm just way wrong for thinking this qb class is just more of the same. I was slow to come around on Darnold because of his rawness and penchant for turning over the rock, but now I believe his skill set is simply too vast to ignore. Rosen has my favorite skill set by far, but I don't love his injury history, and I'm worried there is some truth to rumors regarding his entitlement and arrogance issues. I'm just not sure a team like the Browns can take a risk on a QB with concussion history. Now, I tend to be higher than most on Baker Mayfield, and here's why:  I've long said that the QB responsible for turning the Browns around will be a special talent. A guy who isn't just physically talented, but someone who has the charisma and innate leadership ability that infects his teammates with a "can't lose" attitude. A fiery, emotional, and larger than life type personality who will drive our team from the doldrums of professional sports and cement our beleaguered franchise back in the top where we have strayed for far too long. 

If you were to look at Baker Mayfield's stats in the Senior Bowl, you'd probably come away unimpressed (3-7, 9 yards I think). But the numbers don't tell you the entire story, as virtually every pass he threw was right on the money except for maybe 1 or 2. They were definitely not "easy" catches, but he demonstrated accuracy and surprising arm strength on several tosses. He also showed off his newly acquired experience in taking snaps under center. Although he didn't show many, it certainly looked pretty natural. With Mayfield, I really want to know about his intelligence. How does he score in Wonderlic? What do people say about his ability to digest information, and more importantly, his ability to PROCESS information quickly? Can he progress through his reads, and if not, does he possess the aptitude for LEARNING this prized skill? 

As the season ended, I was completely on board with drafting Josh Rosen. In fact, I STILL believe he's the best pure prospect in the draft. I've always agreed with Tour on that fact, but as more time goes by, I find myself becoming more and more terrified of drafting a QB with concussion issues, especially when rookies are known to take so many hits (as they learn the speed and nuances of the game). If not for the concussions, I'd be screaming to draft Rosen, and even if we do, I'll still be elated. He's a very solid choice. But due to injury concerns, I find myself going back and forth with Darnold and Mayfield. Darnold got his butt blown apart by Ohio State, and that's worrisome, but he's certainly not the only qb to receive that treatment by OSU's defense. Darnold is scrappy, physically talented, and has lots to work with. I don't love his release, and he needs to clean up the fumbles IMMEDIATELY. Mayfield is the KING of scrappy, but doesn't have the size. All three (Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield) are currently part of my "We better draft these guys or I'll implode" list, and as the workouts and combine evaluations start to roll in, we Browns fans will have lots of fun discussing these guys and what they each bring to the table. 

Archived