No idea, nickers.... hadn't seen him in decades, but he wrote a column for The PD back when I was in HS... so he my well be dead now.

4 hours ago, nickers said:

Your talking about the same portly man who was on TV8 Sports , correct?. That Dan Coughlin?

Coughlin is still around. I just saw him in a feature a couple of weeks ago.   I never thought he was much good....and based on recent viewing...that has not changed.

Sam Darnold   - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7TRrfWO3uU   -   Good size.  Has kind of a long, looping throwing motion....but he does it really fast so it's not as big of a deal as it could be (unless you're a DE with a nice long wing-span).  I'm not thinking that QB Mechanics School would have much of an effect on his motion.  He's done growed up with it :) and it'll be there when the bullets start flying.  

Josh Rosen  - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9xDIb1N2LI  -  Tall but skinny.  Has a nice tight throwing motion.  Gets it out quickly.  Has had a couple of concussions.  Looks like he could be easily broken if dropped.  He would probably prefer we don't draft him.  (get in the lengthy line pal)

Josh Allen  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQezAEfWQCk  -  Pretty good size.  Pretty good throwing motion.  Not as fast getting the ball out as Rosen but ok.  Didn't really have to fight the heavy-weight contenders to get to the title fight.  Completion percentage follows him like a dark cloud.

Baker Mayfield  -  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZprJbOgROps  -  The runt of the litter.  Reminds me of Manziel (but doesn't live to run as much).  Makes off balance throws (sometimes when he doesn't have to).  Knows how to avoid the rush and get out where LB'ers feel like they're in nowhere land.  (at what maturity level is his head at though?) -  I have to say here that there was one game that Manziel played for us where I actually enjoyed watching the Browns offense.  Although Pettine wanted him to stay in the pocket and get killed, he used his internal clock properly and got out of the crumbling pocket and into open space where you could just 'feel' the defense $hittin' their pants.  -  Then again, I enjoyed watching Kosar too.  :)

Obviously, the fate of these guys depend on what happens in free agency.  (perhaps a couple of 'em will be sending a letter to Cousins telling him how nice the colors orange & brown look together)

IMO, they all throw the ball well enough to play NFL football.  But it might be a difficult decision deciding who will deliver the MOST value in terms of talent, longevity, leadership and professionalism.  I'd support any choice with the warning that Mayfield's maturity level will have to be researched THOROUGHLY...because we ARE the team that suffered the Manziel thing.  (Billy)

• Like 1

Darnold and Rosen have played head to head. Rosen was obviously and clearly better as a QB. He sits in the pocket better, he's more accurate, and is more polished. 

I highly suggest watching that game film and make your own decision. Dorsey seemed to choose very well last year with Mahomes and Hunt, so that's a good sign for the Browns. I don't even care who they get #1, as long as he turns out to be THE GUY. It's been too damn long, and we're all sick of trading down, or drafting QB's at #22, or whatever. Get the best guy and take a shot for once. 

Side note- didn't Kerry Collins have a similar throwing motion to Darnold?

33 minutes ago, SD_Tom said:

It's been too damn long, and we're all sick of trading down

Absolutely.

A couple of years ago I was almost giddy because I knew that we would get one of the two best QB's in the draft and FINALLY man the position.  Well, we didn't.  So even though there are 4 to choose from...and THIS time we're under new management...I'm still once shot and twice shy.

1 hour ago, Orion said:

Absolutely.

A couple of years ago I was almost giddy because I knew that we would get one of the two best QB's in the draft and FINALLY man the position.  Well, we didn't.  So even though there are 4 to choose from...and THIS time we're under new management...I'm still once shot and twice shy.

Don't worry. If Smith vetoed a trade to the Browns, you really think Cousins is coming here, regardless of how much loot we throw at him?

2 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

Darnold and Rosen have played head to head. Rosen was obviously and clearly better as a QB. He sits in the pocket better, he's more accurate, and is more polished. 

I highly suggest watching that game film and make your own decision. Dorsey seemed to choose very well last year with Mahomes and Hunt, so that's a good sign for the Browns. I don't even care who they get #1, as long as he turns out to be THE GUY. It's been too damn long, and we're all sick of trading down, or drafting QB's at #22, or whatever. Get the best guy and take a shot for once. 

Side note- didn't Kerry Collins have a similar throwing motion to Darnold?

wtf are your passive aggressive remarks about Donald all about on the Alex Smith thread you said that Donald did not want to be here(which was a Shmucking lie) and now comparing him to Collins ? where do you pull this Sheet from ?

20 minutes ago, syd said:

wtf are your passive aggressive remarks about Donald all about on the Alex Smith thread you said that Donald did not want to be here(which was a Shmucking lie) and now comparing him to Collins ? where do you pull this Sheet from ?

I asked if his long throwing motion (which is supposedly a con on his scouting report... just like leadership/attitude is con on Rosen's report) was similar to Kerry Collins. Only reason I remember Collins, is I remember a buddy of mine hated him with a passion for that exact reason. He's PSU fan, and me being a Buckeyes fan, we sued to talk Sheet about each school's draft picks. 

Not once did I compare him to Collins as a player, so don't put words in my mouth. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Don't worry. If Smith vetoed a trade to the Browns, you really think Cousins is coming here, regardless of how much loot we throw at him?

Nope.  I never, ever believed that.  As I said once, We'd be a last resort.  Slightly above flipping burgers.

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

Money talks but the price has become too high for Cousins. Dorsey already made those big money mistakes at KC. Will he repeat it for short term gains?

18 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Coughlin is still around. I just saw him in a feature a couple of weeks ago.   I never thought he was much good....and based on recent viewing...that has not changed.

I thought he was funny more than anything else and he at least gave the impression he belted down a few beers at an Irish pub somewhere before his set.LOL

16 hours ago, Orion said:

"... but he does it really fast..."

lol... What's the saying? "Damning with faint praise"?

10 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Never mind I found it.

Also a good talk on who to take @ #4.

Sorry, probably should've mentioned you needed to scroll down to find the right podcasts. 

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

lol... What's the saying? "Damning with faint praise"?

I guess. :)  But ya know, last night I read some guy's write up on the QB's and he said the same thing I said, long, looping, but get's through it fast.  :)  ...and he said what I said about Mayfield, throws from all kinds of positions.

Dan Coughlin is a typical outspoken Irishman an old favorite of many of us other old Irishmen in NE Ohio. He could not be called boring.

Mike

11 hours ago, nickers said:

I thought he was funny more than anything else and he at least gave the impression he belted down a few beers at an Irish pub somewhere before his set.LOL

What consists of a seven-course Irish meal?

A six-pack of beer and a potato.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Close to the same here in Texas. 6 pack and potato CHIPS.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Close to the same here in Texas. 6 pack and potato CHIPS.

You're BOTH wrong....

A 6 pack & a shot o' good Irish Whiskey....I prefer Old Bushmill to Jameson (the Protestants beat we Catholics in the makin' of the whiskey!).

Mike

On 1/28/2018 at 7:18 AM, boo fagley said:

I noticed that you were  puzzled of my numbers. Take half the money out of your piggy bank and give it to me. I have 50% and you have 50%. See how that works??

Hilarious, you are arguing over 6 more completions per 100 attempts. Thats 24 more completions @ 400 attempts divide by 16 games = 1.5 additional completions per game to reach 62%. Brady completes so many short 5 yard passes its  impossible for him to not be in the 66% range which is 2 completions out 3 attempts and the winning formula. Brady, Rogers, Ryan, Brees even Alex Smith are all 66% passers. Allen needs 10 more completions per 100 to reach the 66% plateau. 2.5 completions per 16 games with better coaching, better OL, better WRs, better RBs.

Allen needs coaching up. Brady needed coaching up. Its foolish to believe that these QBs come from winning college programs and start winning in the NFL the same way. Brady is constantly working on his throwing motion and footwork. 

Apparently The Rock eye-roll is too subtle for you. Then, the ball going over the punter’s head went even further over your head.

I wasn’t puzzled at all; I was being sarcastic. My one year old son knows one percent is one out of a hundred.

You were overstating the obvious like you had some Billy Bean keen eye for stats. Meanwhile, every one else knows that 6% difference in completion percentage is like a quarter-second in the 40.

It’s foolish to think a guy that can’t complete 60% of his passes against Mountain West competition will complete 66% in the NFL.

1E229E2E-4454-43E4-A176-0011F2CE7982.gif

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

You're BOTH wrong....

A 6 pack & a shot o' good Irish Whiskey....I prefer Old Bushmill to Jameson (the Protestants beat we Catholics in the makin' of the whiskey!).

Mike

You boys got a lot a learnin' to do about south of the border rums.:P