THE BROWNS BOARD

2018 QB Class

Westside Steve

17 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Keenum showed me something  that O'Brien never got out of him in Houston. What a difference a coach can make that plays to a player's strengths. Too bad we don't have a HC like that.

BTW rumors are out there that Keenum may be headed for Arizona.

Makes sense. I don't know if I would want Keenum throwing outdoors in Cleveland.

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Keenum showed me something  that O'Brien never got out of him in Houston. What a difference a coach can make that plays to a player's strengths. Too bad we don't have a HC like that.

Interesting!  To me, Keenum makes the most sense in Denver.  A plus-rated defense similar to Minnesota, probably won't be asked to do TOO much, and Denver appears to be at the end of their playoff run (despite missing badly last year), so I would expect the Broncos to go heavily after a guy like Keenum who made the playoffs last year.  In a perfect world, I think the Broncos would like to sign Cousins (duh), but I'm not sure they have the necessary cap room, and even if they DID, I don't believe they'd offer that kind of money to Kirk anyways.  I see the Jets offering STUPID MONEY to Kirk and him accepting the deal, Keenum going to Denver, AJ McCarron going to Minnesota, and Sam Bradford going to Arizona.  

Oh, the "Veteran QB Musical Chairs" game, and guess who is going to be the team left standing without a place to sit when the music stops?  You guessed it, the Browns.  But hey, it's expected when you're 1-31, right?  So who are we going to bring in as our veteran QB?  None other than....Joshua McCown!  That's right, the ageless wonder will make his way back to Cleveland and serve as our "bridge QB" until Baker Mayfield (we're drafting him...please lord) or Deshone Kizer win the job.  

They are only two wildcards in my twisted mind, McCarron and Bridewater.  I give McCarron a 75% chance of going to Minnesota, and maybe 10% going to Cleveland.  Bridgewater is the one guy that nobody knows about.  The Vikings' coach Mike Zimmer repeatedly said in the past that he wanted Bridewater to be the last QB he ever coached, and he felt VERY strongly that Teddy was going to be the guy for years to come in Minnesota.  He absolutely LOVED Bridgewater, but his devastating knee injury obviously derailed that affair, and Teddy remains the biggest question mark in the veteran QB class at this moment.  He basically played two full seasons in 2014 and 2015, and then suffered the injury in preseason PRACTICE.  It was so gruesome that I want to say a few players ran off the field to vomit (I didn't confirm that rumor, just hearsay, but you get the point).  Teddy's stats for those two seasons were "pretty good".  He actually reminded me a lot of Sam Bradford (no, not just because of the bad knee).  Teddy completed a high percentage of passes (around 65%), didn't throw a bunch of picks (around 19 total in two seasons), and was good at delivering safe passes and taking what was there.  I believe Teddy played 29 games in those two seasons, and his total passing TD's were around 28.  Not exactly prolific, but he got his team in positions to win games, largely because he had a killer defense, and he didn't turn it over.  He also had some incredibly clutch moments in those 2 years, which of course I love.  

The Cleveland Browns, however, do NOT have a "dominant defense" (as of right now, but I'm starting to like our personnel...except Peppers.  He can kiss my rear right now, rookie or not).  If Teddy comes to Cleveland, he's going to HAVE to throw it more, throw it when the defense KNOWS you're throwing it, and you're probably not going to have a terrific run offense.  With his knee injury, I don't think we can grab him...just can't.  Because if Teddy goes down, we're either throwing Kizer back in there, or we're tossing in our fresh new rookie.  It's the same thing with Sam Bradford.  I think if you sign Sam, you literally have to sign his surgeon to a contract too.  

If the chips fall like I expect them to, the Browns will be on the outside looking in, and the only guy who will be available to us that doesn't have a mechanical knee will be Josh McCown.  Welcome back Josh.  

3 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

That may be a logical landing spot for him.

3 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

They grow up with nothing and think that a family member has their best interests in mind. But depending on someone with zero background in contracts is a horrible idea.

The restaurant business is a big draw that looks like a cant miss.

The two happiest days in the restaurant biz are the grand opening and when you close the doors for good.

17 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

The restaurant business is a big draw that looks like a cant miss.

The two happiest days in the restaurant biz are the grand opening and when you close the doors for good.

I have heard the same thing said about boats:  2d happiest day is when you buy it....only exceeded by the day you sell it.

And similar things have been said about Rental property.

I have been smart enough at least to avoid investing in all three. 

6 hours ago, Zombo said:

The easiest to coach: Ball Security.

Darnold is the leader in the clubhouse.

Zombo

Darnold is working with Carson Palmers brother to fix his long whine up in his mechcanics. Some say that is why Darnold/agent chose to not throw at Combine but to wait for his familiar WR's at Pro Day..Am holding that thought on Darnold till I see this new whined up..  

16 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I have heard the same thing said about boats:  2d happiest day is when you buy it....only exceeded by the day you sell it.

And similar things have been said about Rental property.

I have been smart enough at least to avoid investing in all three. 

And an RV.....or so I've heard.

8 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Measurements came in from the combine:

Lamar Jackson

6’2 1/4

216 lbs

Hand 9 1/2

Sam Darnold

6’3 3/8

221 lbs

Hand 9 3/8

Josh Rosen 

6’4

226lbs

Hand 9 7/8

Baker Mayfield

6’0 5/8

215 lbs

Hand 9 1/4

Discussion about this on the radio this AM.   Statment generally was that  9.5"   hand size was expected minimum.   Russell Wilson....even though he was only like 5'11"   had a hand size over 10 inches.

So...now....where are these stats on  Allen and Rudolph et al?

After some research....I found a very rare oddity:    the two starting QBs with the largest hands.....at 10.25 inches each.....were Drew Brees and Russell Wilson.....who just happen to be like the two shortest starting QBs.   

How odd is that?

Also, here is a chart from earlier years...not current...but interesting:

main-qimg-9892ee7e6e3585eba3d02c0e963eff

Edit....sorry about the size.

Here ya go

• Brett Favre (10⅜)
  • E.J. Manuel (10⅜)
  • Drew Brees (10 ¼)
  • Russell Wilson (10 ¼)
  • Tim Tebow (10⅛)
  • Andrew Luck (10")
  • Marcus Mariota (9⅞)
  • Johnny Manziel (9 ⅞)
  • Cam Newton (9⅞)
  • Robert Griffin III (9 ½)
  • Daunte Culpepper (9 ½)
  • Andy Dalton (9½)
  • Sam Bradford (9½)
  • Aaron Rodgers (9⅜)
  • Blake Bortles (9⅜)
  • Jameis Winston (9⅜)
  • Teddy Twatwater (9¼)

48 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

With Rogers @ 9 3/8 that kind of throws out the 9 1/2 min. myth.

Well....it is just an optimal thing....not a hard fast rule by any means.  

I think Michael Vick had only 8.5 inch hands.    Alex Smith I think is the same.

Here is an article on hand size...and why supposedly it has some importance to NFL teams.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/02/22/why-quarterback-hand-size-matters-to-nfl.html

And..What about Allen and Rudolph and others?   Here are some stats from the Senior Bowl:

Hand sizes of Senior Bowl QBs:
Josh Allen: 10 1/8
Luke Falk: 9 3/8
Tanner Lee: 10 1/8
Kurt Benkert: 9 5/8
Kyle Lauletta: 9 5/8
Mason Rudolph: 9 1/8* won’t play
Brandon Silvers 9 1/8
Mike White: 9 3/8

UCLA QB Josh Rosen measured with 9 7/8-inch hands at the combine on Thursday, while Louisville QB Lamar Jackson's measured 9 1/2 inches. Wyoming's Josh Allen had the biggest hand measurement at 10 1/8 inches. Oklahoma's Baker Mayfield had one of the smallest hands among combine QBs with a measurement of 9 1/4 inches.

In a combine preview, Jeremiah noted scouting concern that Darnold's hands were on the small side, contributing to a high turnover rate in his junior and final season at USC.

Darnold has elected not to throw at the combine this week, so clubs won't have a chance to evaluate him live as a passer until his March 21 pro day

Jonah Adam Falcon (born July 29, 1970) is an American actor and television presenter. He came to national attention in 1999 over the size of his penis, reported to be the largest on record at 13.5 inches (34 cm) long when erect.

(No word about the size of his hands)

On 2/27/2018 at 10:03 PM, SD_Tom said:

Darnold might still be shell shocked from getting whooped by the buckeyes 

Yeah, I hyphenated his last name to Darnold-DucknobodyblockedBosaagain after that Ohio State mismatch in the trenches.

On 2/28/2018 at 5:38 PM, gumby73 said:

Darnold is working with Carson Palmers brother to fix his long whine up in his mechcanics. Some say that is why Darnold/agent chose to not throw at Combine but to wait for his familiar WR's at Pro Day..Am holding that thought on Darnold till I see this new whined up..  

Jordan Palmer also worked with DeShaun Watson last year. It looked like he did a great job!

On 2/27/2018 at 8:48 PM, jiggins7919 said:

Is Rosen throwing? I know Darnold isn't. 

Yes, Rosen is throwing.   Stock up!   If you don't believe in yourself - who will?  

Darnold is not.  Stock down!  Yeah, I know he's working with the same guy (Jordan Palmer) that worked with DeShaun Watson for ideal results.   However, Watson still participated in the combines and it went well enough for a team to trade up to #12 overall to take him.  He's going to get interviewed by interested team so he can tell them "hey I've recently altered some mechanics so I'm not quite where I want to be just yet; but I LOVE to compete so here I am.  Having said that, I hope you'll notice some progress when you see me again at my Pro Day."  Or, something to that effect.  Believe in yourself kid!  

IMO, this is an ideal chance to compete especially considering Darnold's 2017 troubles with pocket pressure with the fumbles.  Here's the chance to throw with no pass rushers challenging mechanics, time to throw and ball security. Even better, there's no corners messing up routes or throws. Take advantage of these goodies in front of people that may want to invest in you.  Show them what you'd be like with reasonable pass pro and WRs that can actually get open. 

The drills are just specified drops/roll-outs and throw to an area.  Last year, the best 2 QBs by far on those quick out throws were Watson and Trubisky. They also looked best overall to me.  They were my 1A and 1B last year.  That said, I usually found myself defending Watson to people that only liked Trubisky. I'll say this again this year - you don't have to like just 1 QB or prematurely entrench yourself into 1 QB camp 6-8 weeks before the combines.  Not to sound like Bart Simpson giving advice on etiquette... 

Archived