Sign in to follow this  
Westside Steve

Oscars 18

I will have reviewed all of the best picture nominations and posted them by week's end.

Preliminarily

Oscar’s 2018
Hollywood has always reflected the attitude of America . From the patriotic films of the 40s through the sexual Revolution and the anti-heroes of the 60s and 70s and so forth. I can’t remember a more divided and bitter as than today and unfortunately that’s reflected in the Oscar nominations. I respect the rights of people to have opinions that differ from my own but because I’ve always seen the Oscars as the highest form of praise for outstanding acting and production I fear those standards have taken a backseat to political activism
Of the snubs involved this year I feel sorry for James Franco, he deserved  a best actor nomination in THE DISASTER ARTIST. He didn’t get one because of unproven allegations that he flatly denies. I’m also disappointed in Hollywood’s treatment of Woody Allen. The fact is that he began his relationship with Soon-Yi when she was 21 and the two have been married ever since. Also the accusation by daughter Dylan Farrow were fully investigated and the conclusion was that no abuse ever occurred. That sucks because WONDER WHEEL was snubbed this year and his upcoming film, RAINY DAY IN NEW YORK might never make it to the theaters. 
So because of our publishing schedule my predictions will be in next issue but because of deadlines I will write them before we go to press. That means there’s no way I can hedge my bets!
Just a recap of the best picture nominations.
1  THREE BILLBOARDS OUTSIDE EBBING MONTANA. Great acting, great character development and an offbeat story that allows all of the flawed people to find a measure of redemption. 
2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.
3 THE SHAPE OF WATER
It’s hard to accurately describe this wonderfully emotional and engaging story of a mute woman and a sea monster. 
4 DUNKIRK 
Rather slow moving story about the heroic rescue that took place in World War II.
5 DARKEST HOUR
Yet another World War II epic from the same time as Dunkirk but focusing on the irascible and iconic Winston Churchill. Absolutely great performance by Gary Oldman.
6 PHANTOM THREAD
Though exquisitely crafted this Daniel Day-Lewis and Paul Thomas Anderson film has almost no entertainment value whatsoever.
7 LADY BIRD
A pleasant but run of the mill Coming of Age film this time from a teenage girl’s point of view.
8 THE POST
Probably made to draw attention away from accusations of the modern-day Washington Post’s bias, but regardless how could Steven Spielberg Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep possibly make a bad film? We'll see it this week.
WSS

2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.

You know I haven't seen this....and will not at your suggestion.   But please explain the hypocrisy angle.  (I am not disagreeing with you...only asking you to flesh it out)

Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

WSS

1 hour ago, Westside Steve said:

Well this is just a short recap the hypocrisy will be made more clear in the actual review but the entire plot of the film celebrates an adult grad student staying with a family for the summer and having a two-month sexual relationship with their virgin teenage son before going home to marry his fiancee.

Just imagine that story with an adult male and a teenage girl back in the 80s...

WSS

Lolita?

Just now, Westside Steve said:

Firestorm of opposition. Banned in many places. Your point?

WSS

Would it have been considered the equivalent of this movie...story wise...except with a teenage girl?

1 minute ago, Westside Steve said:

I suggest you either watch it or read my review on it comes out then you can bicker about it.

WSS

I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I am not bickering at all.  Just trying to put it in context with what you said...and trying to bring in a potential comparative story...except with a female.

It's different enough to make the bickering nonsense.

First of all Lolita was actually 12 then 14 when she was banged.

Second the critics and public threw a fit.

3rd for the film version came out Stanley Kubrick couldn't do hardly anything he wanted due to the Stranglehold of the censors.

4th the book is French and in France they only recently started to ponder whether should be any age limit for sex. And the number they bandied about was 13.

Fifth if you are completely unaware of The Firestorm created by a 24 year old lawyer dating an 18 year old girl...

WSS

15 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

It's different enough to make the bickering nonsense.

First of all Lolita was actually 12 then 14 when she was banged.

Second the critics and public threw a fit.

3rd for the film version came out Stanley Kubrick couldn't do hardly anything he wanted due to the Stranglehold of the censors.

4th the book is French and in France they only recently started to ponder whether should be any age limit for sex. And the number they bandied about was 13.

Fifth if you are completely unaware of The Firestorm created by a 24 year old lawyer dating an 18 year old girl...

WSS

You are just bickering with yourself over this.

Once again the Oscars denies that nod to Tom Hanks. Must have some kind of hatred for him? Really very much showing favorites.

46 minutes ago, JPPT1974 said:

Once again the Oscars denies that nod to Tom Hanks. Must have some kind of hatred for him? Really very much showing favorites.

JP not sure who you are referring to but in my opinion you can't nominate Tom Hanks for everything he does. I think he's very good in some things okay in others,  but you have to admit most of his characters are the same, and I really didn't think he did anything amazing in the post.

Giving a nomination to the kid from get out was an absolute  PC disgrace. And I giving one to James Franco was terrible 

WSS