THE BROWNS BOARD

Oscars 18

I thought that Black Panther may have warranted a 6 or 7 on my 10 point "entertainment value" scale. Which would be about the same, say, for Wonder Woman.  Compare to the highly, highly disappointing Superman vs. Batman....which warranted maybe a 3 at best.  The Justice League was much better...in that 6 range. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2018 at 10:12 AM, Westside Steve said:

2 CALL ME BY YOUR NAME.
A disturbing study of a sexual relationship between a grown man and a teenage boy. The hypocrisy of the academy is staggering in this instance.

3 THE SHAPE OF WATER
It’s hard to accurately describe this wonderfully emotional and engaging story of a mute woman and a sea monster. 

4 DUNKIRK 
Rather slow moving story about the heroic rescue that took place in World War II.

I don't agree with you on call me by your name Steve. I haven't seen it, but Scorsese, Paul Thomas Anderson, and many others were calling it the best movie of the year by far, PTA even said he liked it better than his own Phantom Thread. Luca Guadagnino is rated as the best active living Italian director, and all of my friends from Italy rave about him. I've heard its not sexual at all, not even with a sex scene in it. I would agree comparing it to Kubrick's Lolita. At least Guadagnino and Kubrick make moves about stuff people won't talk about rather than sexually assaulting kids themselves like Woody Allen, and Bryan Singer do.

I agree with you on Dunkirk, I'm not a huge Nolan Fan but the flow and the soundtrack were amazing. Nolan always has a lack of character development, but that didn't matter to me at all in Dunkirk. It was a million times better than shape of water.

The Shape of water was freaking horrible. It made Downsizing seem like Citizen Kane. It's like a twelve year old got the Helen Keller story wrong and watched "Creature from the Black Lagoon" and mixed them up together for a script. It was completely illogical, identity politics/social justice warrior cowpoop that threw in stuff like the mute girls old gay male roommate trying to bang some dude who sold cheesecake, only to get shot down and thrown out. It starts out with the mute girl playing with herself in the bath tub, and the scene she banged the creature in was so beyond ridiculous I almost walked out. Notice that Michael Shannon was the only good part in that film with his performance. But he is portrayed as the all-omnipotent, all-powerful white male who's evil, which is absolutely ridiculous, much like radical feminists blame "the patriarchy" for everything. The black women is "oppressed", the gay man who hits on the cheesecake guy is "oppressed", the communist scientist is the good guy, and they all unite together to destroy the evil white man (Shannon). I liked Pan's Labyrinth, but Shape of Water is the worst Academy Award Winner i've ever seen. And to think, I kept hearing "He's a mexican director and it's superb for him to be recognized". It shouldn't matter what race, gender, sexual orientation, or skin color a director is if they make a great movie. But the sympathy cards need to stop, and films that are "real" and "authentic" need to be recognized.

Phantom Thread is by far the best movie of the year in my opinion. From the absolutely gorgeous shots, to the deep psyche of Daniel Day Lewis' character and his thirst for creativity and inspiration. He's so narcissistic, OCD, and controlling, yet he really yearns for someone to take care of him, and deeply, for someone to love him. Every time he gets poisoned, his creativity resets and he can work again. It's the perfect summary of a relationship when someone can't live with someone, yet can't live without them. PTA is for sure one of the best living directors alive today, but I get why people would get bored by it. Its a film about a dressmaker who likes whores and yearns to be loved, yet moves slowly and has a bunch of complicated riddle like messages. But I'll be damned if it isn't real, authentic, gorgeous to look at, and a cinematic masterpiece. Not to mention the score by Jonny G is absolutely freaking masterful.

Oh well. I guess if you see call me by your name and disagree with me then that's how it goes.

The whole thing is opinion-based there isn't any objective criteria that makes one piece of art better than another piece of art and I stand by my opinions of all these films. Sure there may have been a little politically correct undercurrent in the shape of water and I have no doubt he gets extra points for being Mexican from this liberal bunch in the academy. On the other hand the homosexual aspect gained a lot of points for call me by your name. And whoever said it wasn't sexual is out of their mind.

Didn't I admit Phantom thread was extremely well-crafted? I just found out solutely no entertainment value whatsoever and in this particular case didn't care that the story was offbeat or quirky or avant-garde. I just didn't like it.

WSS

Archived