THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Barkley #1 Overall

cdl15

On 1/22/2018 at 6:08 PM, Dutch Oven said:

I can't be the only person who gets this image in their head after reading a PoG post, right?

onemanwolfpack.jpg

look in front yard..The Barkley Cinderella Stagecoach just pulled up

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The video is 6 minutes long. You aren't doing your work, you've shown that you haven't. 

How sweet would it be to draft a #1 Overall RB? 

It's kind of cheating because we also have the #4- lol, but still! 

Superstar. 

It creates belief. It's what we need. 

4 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

The video is 6 minutes...(so is most wife's sex life:P)            You aren't doing your work 

Pop Quiz'o---Say we dumbly tag Crow or Crow signs a 2-3 year deal?.. Who's your #1 & #4 pick then?

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

Unreal, this kid. He's the closest thing to a Superman we're going to find. If anybody need one, it's Cleveland. Just watch the video and tell me that Coleman wouldn't thrive with this guy around. Coleman would go to a whole 'nother level. Saquon is a leader and I have to think that, as young as our team is, our guys will gravitate to him.

What would a Barkley/Mayfield locker room, with Gordon and everybody look like?... I mean, stats are just stats. Everybody is good, it's about when it's time to execute, who come in clutch. Games are so tough and closely matched, in most cases, it comes down to the team and who wants it more, who BELIEVES they are going to win. We have to get away from the Mercenary type of team that we've been. Players coming and leaving all the time, coaches coming and leaving, so on and so on. We have believe in each other. We need to grind this out and learn from it, let it burn so we can win next timer. What hurt is it to a player when loyalty is gone, but the pain is real for fans- when Kenny Britt is going to the Superbow. For guys like Joe Thomas, Josh Gordon and Joe Ha...damn. But for players like Kevin Hogan, Christian Kirksey it's gotta burn... this thing we're trying to build, it's built in the trenches- during the grind. But we will rise from this, to heights not yet seen, to heights not yet dreamed. The best is ahead of us. Belief, trust and love. 

And what about your other hero Kevin Hogan if the Browns draft Baker?

Would it be that bad if Hogan started the season while Baker learned from Hogan's experience? Hogan with Barkley, Gordon, Coleman and Njoku. They are gonna put up a lot of points if they get to work together and develop some chemistry.

16 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Would it be that bad if Hogan started the season while Baker learned from Hogan's experience? Hogan with Barkley, Gordon, Coleman and Njoku. They are gonna put up a lot of points if they get to work together and develop some chemistry.

Why would the Browns waste a first rounder on Baker Mayfield when you've told us, over and over, that Kevin Hogan is a future franchise QB?

If you are going to troll, at least stick to the script.

I was hyped on Barkely early this season, but I've seen him disappear a lot.Maybe they were limiting his snaps or whatever, mybe PSU just wasn't that great. 

Love and Penny were the most impressive backs I've seen this year. I've seen numerous games for both, and every time they had the ball they were a threat to score. their stats reflect that as well. Love may be a bit small, but damn he was awesome. He even got injured 3/4 thru the season, and he was still putting up close to 200 yds a game. Penny actually had 5 straight 200+ yd games including the bowl game, but he gets no love from anyone. 

35 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Would it be that bad if Hogan started the season while Baker learned from Hogan's experience? Hogan with Barkley, Gordon, Coleman and Njoku.

yes..Shoolie can call them The Bhue Jackson 5..(am going to finish throwing up before bed:mellow:) page 10 yippie!!

The point is that you have said how great Hogan is and can be. It's not like he's old. So if you believe that (not trolling), and it actually happened, then it would be incredibly idiotic to draft a QB at 4. Then either your all world franchise guy Hogan or Mayfield would be a backup. So it would be a waste of a pick in your world

2 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Well, I tried to have an actual discussion....

YPC isn't a tell all stat War. I already addressed that, I said you have to take into account the player and his abilities OUTSIDE the college system. 

Simple question. Is he capable of doing the things he does in college in the pros? The player doesn't change, or become a different player at the next level. What I mean is why wouldn't he be successful at the next level? Do you think he is too slow? Can't catch the ball? Can't block in pass protection? Can't read a defense, find the hole or follow his blocking assignments? 

I don't mind having an actual discussion at all actually. I'm just saying you are basing your decision off of one stat, ypc. There is much more to a running back then ypc. A lot has to do with the gameplan and the blocking up front, some of it goes to the defense and their scheme. Some of it is attributed to the actual player. Can you show any evidence or do you have evidence  outside of the "ypc" end all be all stat that you are judging the most complete back Urban Meyer has seen in the last 30 years? 

I'm responding but you are not doing your research brother. 

4 hours ago, PoeticG said:

How sweet would it be to draft a #1 Overall RB? 

It's kind of cheating because we also have the #4- lol, but still! 

Superstar. 

It creates belief. It's what we need. 

I'll believe Barkley has Super Star potential when he runs a 4.12 40- like Bo Jackson did at the combine. That would qualify as rare talent, and something to get excited about. Until then- color me unimpressed. 

3 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Po, Hogan's not going from the inactive list to NFL starter. Give it up already. If anything the QB depth chart will be Smith (I hope)- Mayfield\Darnold- Kizer. Hogan is about as good as gonzo, unless they keep him around for kicks and giggles as a spare arm in training camp. Nah- he's a ERFA, I doubt the Browns are going to pay him any more money to hang around. If it makes you feel better, Kevin has collected $850,000 for two years of being a roster hanger on. We all should be so lucky...   

YPC isn't a tell all stat War. I already addressed that, I said you have to take into account the player and his abilities OUTSIDE the college system. 

Simple question. Is he capable of doing the things he does in college in the pros? The player doesn't change, or become a different player at the next level. What I mean is why wouldn't he be successful at the next level? Do you think he is too slow? Can't catch the ball? Can't block in pass protection? Can't read a defense, find the hole or follow his blocking assignments? 

I don't mind having an actual discussion at all actually. I'm just saying you are basing your decision off of one stat, ypc. There is much more to a running back then ypc. A lot has to do with the gameplan and the blocking up front, some of it goes to the defense and their scheme. Some of it is attributed to the actual player. Can you show any evidence or do you have evidence  outside of the "ypc" end all be all stat that you are judging the most complete back Urban Meyer has seen in the last 30 years? 

I'm responding but you are not doing your research brother. 

Actually you're just ignoring my posts until I call you back to the conversation. 

You have to explain why the YPC was so absurdly bad at times. I can't recall a first round back that had those kind of things on his resume. I know YPC isn't everything, but when yours is that bad, it shoots to the top of the relevancy charts. 

To answer the question in your second paragraph: no, he's not capable of padding his stats into the realm of respectability with a 50+ run almost every game in the pros.

http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/undefined

Slowing Saquon - Barkley, who looked like the Heisman frontrunner just three weeks ago, had little room to run behind an offensive line without it's starting Left Tackle.

Ryan Bates, who was hurt Oct. 28th against Ohio State, missed his second game with an undisclosed injury. Barkley has been held to 63 rushing yards or fewer in each of the last three games.

"It's part of the game," Barkley said. "Obviously I'm aware of what teams are going to try and do and teams are going to try to take away our run game and take away our backs."

Penn State: Three games ago, Penn State was sitting at No. 2 and had a clear path to the playoff with a bona fide Heisman Trophy front-runner in Barkley leading the offense. With two losses and one shaky start later, Penn State can't get Barkley going on the ground, and his Heisman chances are becoming slimmer.

-----------------------------------------

- So there you go War, losing a LT and Defenses scheming to stop the run. That was a three game stretch at least, in which their only 2 losses of the season came as well. 

*The very next game against Nebraska, on the very first offensive play Barkley took a run for 65 yards down the sideline.   

*The Georgia game? His stats don't look good, 10 carries - 47 yards for a long of 33 right? Not good as you would say, "take out the long of 33 yards and Barkley only ran for 14 yards on 9 carries"! Well... there's this. You just have to try a little harder to get the information you seek. http://www.espn.com/ncf/recap/_/id/undefined

"McSorley threw a stadium-record 85-yard touchdown pass to Saquon Barkley for one of his four scoring strikes and also ran for a touchdown in No. 5 Penn State's 56-0 victory over Georgia State 56-0 on Saturday night.

"That was something that was in my mind," McSorley said. "Last week, personally, I didn't put our team in the best position through my play to win the game. Obviously, we were able to come out with a win but I felt that I didn't put our team in the best position."

That's all he did against Georgia State (0-2) and he got off to a fast start.

McSorley completed 14 of 19 passes for 258 yards in the first half to help Penn State (3-0) take a 35-0 lead in a rare prime-time game against a non-Power Five opponent.

The junior quarterback finished 18 of 23 for 309 yards and running back Saquon Barkley had 226 all-purpose yards despite being sidelined for a stretch in the second quarter with a stomach bug.

Barkley returned to the game after a brief evaluation but wasn't needed much longer. Penn State rested most of its starters after scoring on its first drive of the second half.

"I thought Trace definitely threw the ball better," Penn State coach James Franklin said. "Saquon, he's just got so many tools. You're talking about a 230-pound guy that can make you miss, can run you over and can burst down the sideline."

BARKLEY'S OMINOUS TENT VISIT

Penn State's sideline got a scare when Barkley signaled he needed a breather midway through the second quarter.

The Heisman candidate had just lowered his head on an inside run and was piled on by Panthers defenders. Although he popped up quick, Barkley walked slowly to the bench, sat down and hung his head for a bit before being shuffled into the team's nearby medical tent by the team's head athletic trainer.

Barkley emerged after a few minutes and returned to the game apparently no worse for wear. He said afterward he ate something before the game that didn't agree with him and was fine after a brief reprieve.

"It didn't really affect me in the game," Barkley said.

----

So, there's an explanation for four games that you were concerned about. In the one game the kid had 142 receiving yards and a TD. 

Need I continue? Or do you got it from here, I've shared his stat log below for easy reference. 

2017 SPLITS ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
Season 217 1271 5.9 92 18 54 632 11.7 85 3
Home 104 664 6.4 80 10 25 431 17.2 85 3
September 86 574 6.7 80 4 27 386 14.3 85 2

Complete Splits »

CAREER STATS RUSHING RECEIVING
SEASON ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
2017 217 1271 5.9 92 18 54 632 11.7 85 3
2016 272 1496 5.5 81 18 28 402 14.4 44 4
2015 182 1076 5.9 56 7 20 161 8.1 32 1

2017 Game Log Rushing Receiving
DATE OPP RESULT   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
9/2 Akron W 52-0 14 172 12.3 80 2 3 54 18.0 43 0
9/9 Pittsburgh W 33-14 14 88 6.3 22 1 4 45 11.3 46 1
9/16 Georgia State W 56-0 10 47 4.7 33 0 4 142 35.5 85 1
9/23 @Iowa W 21-19 28 211 7.5 44 1 12 94 7.8 15 0
9/30 Indiana W 45-14 20 56 2.8 8 0 4 51 12.8 36 0
10/7 @Northwestern W 31-7 16 75 4.7 53 2 2 9 4.5 8 0
10/21 Michigan W 42-13 15 108 7.2 69 2 3 53 17.7 42 1
10/28 @Ohio State L 39-38 21 44 2.1 36 1 4 23 5.8 10 0
11/4 @Michigan State L 27-24 14 63 4.5 36 0 3 33 11.0 20 0
11/11 Rutgers W 35-6 14 35 2.5 11 2 1 20 20.0 21 0
11/18 Nebraska W 56-44 17 158 9.3 65 3 6 66 11.0 24 0
11/25 @Maryland W 66-3 16 77 4.8 17 2 1 4 4.0 4 0
PLAYSTATION FIESTA BOWL
12/30 Washington W 35-28 18 137 7.6 92 2 7 38 5.4 12

The worst game I've found from him from a ypc statistic was last year.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Saquon Barkley ran for two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter, helping No. 10 Penn State beat Indiana 45-31 on Saturday.

Barkley was held to 20 yards on 20 carries though the first three quarters. But the Big Ten's top rusher stepped up in the final period, helping the Nittany Lions (8-2, 6-1, No. 12 AP) keep pace with No. 3 Michigan in the East Division with their sixth consecutive victory.

Editor's Picks

First, Barkley found a hole for a 4-yard TD run that made it 28-24. After Indiana regained the lead on Richard Lagow's 40-yard touchdown pass to Nick Westbrook, Barkley ran over a defender for a 2-yard score with 3:58 left.

"What you can't do when you're struggling in the run game is abort it, especially with a young offensive line," Penn State coach James Franklin said. "It was a gutsy, gutsy win on the road."

Penn State sealed the victory with a 9-yard fumble return for a TD with 29 seconds left.

Barkley finished with 60 yards on 33 carries. Trace McSorley was 16 of 30 for 332 yards with two TD passes and two interceptions.

-----

If you take out Barkley's 2 catches in that game the QB was 14 of 28 for 332 yards. That seems chunk plays to me. To me that tells me they sold out to stop the run, and got burnt for doing so. Barkley played his part and grinded, in the end when it counted he punched it in for a lead. 

They won't be able to do that to the Browns because we have Gordon who can blow the top off if they slip up and sell out. 

I love it how some posters create camps in this forum...

While others create nazi parties and fill everything up with propaganda.

12 hours ago, SD_Tom said:

I was hyped on Barkely early this season, but I've seen him disappear a lot.Maybe they were limiting his snaps or whatever, mybe PSU just wasn't that great. 

Love and Penny were the most impressive backs I've seen this year. I've seen numerous games for both, and every time they had the ball they were a threat to score. their stats reflect that as well. Love may be a bit small, but damn he was awesome. He even got injured 3/4 thru the season, and he was still putting up close to 200 yds a game. Penny actually had 5 straight 200+ yd games including the bowl game, but he gets no love from anyone. 

I saw a lot of Penny as well and he's very impressive.  Of course he gets no love.  He plays in the Mountain West (but check out his numbers against Stanford and Arizona State) and his games were typically on at 7 or 8 PST so no one on the east coast saw him play.   I think he will be a really good NFL back and and I would look at picking in round 2.  His stock will be helped at the combine if he runs a good 40 time because he's pretty good size.

6 hours ago, Nero said:

I love it how some posters create camps in this forum...

While others create nazi parties and fill everything up with propaganda.

LOL!:lol: Another student of history I see. Don't tell them anything while their heads are in the sand. It worked out so well in Germany, Italy and Franco's Spain.

EDIT: You can ship Nero's and my comments to the political board if you wish Mark.

6 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL!:lol: Another student of history I see. Don't tell them anything while their heads are in the sand. It worked out so well in Germany, Italy and Franco's Spain.

EDIT: You can ship Nero's and my comments to the political board if you wish Mark.

I don't have that power here anymore.  I'm a moderator in title only but without any real powers.

Just now, Mark O said:

I don't have that power here anymore.  I'm a moderator in title only but without any real powers.

Kind of like Hue? 

Just now, Mark O said:

You should change your screen name to Austin then so you at least have something. Yeah baby!:rolleyes:

7 hours ago, PoeticG said:

The worst game I've found from him from a ypc statistic was last year.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Saquon Barkley ran for two go-ahead touchdowns in the fourth quarter, helping No. 10 Penn State beat Indiana 45-31 on Saturday.

Barkley was held to 20 yards on 20 carries though the first three quarters. But the Big Ten's top rusher stepped up in the final period, helping the Nittany Lions (8-2, 6-1, No. 12 AP) keep pace with No. 3 Michigan in the East Division with their sixth consecutive victory.

Editor's Picks

First, Barkley found a hole for a 4-yard TD run that made it 28-24. After Indiana regained the lead on Richard Lagow's 40-yard touchdown pass to Nick Westbrook, Barkley ran over a defender for a 2-yard score with 3:58 left.

"What you can't do when you're struggling in the run game is abort it, especially with a young offensive line," Penn State coach James Franklin said. "It was a gutsy, gutsy win on the road."

Penn State sealed the victory with a 9-yard fumble return for a TD with 29 seconds left.

Barkley finished with 60 yards on 33 carries. Trace McSorley was 16 of 30 for 332 yards with two TD passes and two interceptions.

-----

If you take out Barkley's 2 catches in that game the QB was 14 of 28 for 332 yards. That seems chunk plays to me. To me that tells me they sold out to stop the run, and got burnt for doing so. Barkley played his part and grinded, in the end when it counted he punched it in for a lead. 

They won't be able to do that to the Browns because we have Gordon who can blow the top off if they slip up and sell out. 

He's a good football player, no doubt. But calling him a generational player when he hasn't played a down in the NFL is ludicrous. And the expectation can't be the any college player can duplicate the big play numbers they had in college at the pro level.

0-16 is as bad as you can get as a team. But the 53 players on the team are still the best of the best college had to offer. There isn't a "scrub" anywhere.

The reason that a game like Ohio State is being discussed. They are closer to what an NFL defense will look like in regards to skill, speed, size, etc. than most teams. 

So there is a difference in how a player performs against Mercer and against Clemson.

So, with how you view your new hero in Saquon Barkley, who would you rather have on your football team, Barkley or Gurley?

16 hours ago, PoeticG said:

1. Would it be that bad if Hogan started the season while Baker learned from Hogan's experience?

17 hours ago, PoeticG said:

2. How sweet would it be to draft a #1 Overall RB?

I love a pop quiz...

1. I'm going to go with.... "Very?"
  2. Ummmm... "Bitter?"

POP QUIZ: As to "Hogan's experience"... do we think we can afford the 7 minutes it would take to fully communicate that?

2 hours ago, Mark O said:

Same pay tho?

Archived