THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Barkley #1 Overall

cdl15

Hogan will start until Mayfield is ready next year. 

Hoping Hogan will play like I know he can! He's going to have some help with Barkley taking the pressure off. 

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

Hogan will start until Mayfield is ready next year. 

Hoping Hogan will play like I know he can! He's going to have some help with Barkley taking the pressure off. 

Kevin Hogan won't be on the roster next season.

You are just being a silly goose now. Silly, silly goose.

14 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

A RB at 1 had better be the reincarnation of Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Barkley is not that. He had several games this year where he didn't break 100 yards. Barkley isn't even Zeke.

You're never going to be able to tell Po that though.  

6 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

wait.... LaDanian was drafted with the fifth overall pick. Peterson 7th overall pick. not that much different than the 4th pick.

I wasn't going exact numbers on those two Cal. What I'm trying to get through Po's thick noggin- you absolutely can get a stud running back without spending the #1 overall on one. Including RBs that are upper echelon HOF guys. 

On 1/10/2018 at 6:04 PM, PoeticG said:

He nearly matched Zeke in yards from scrimmage.

But in rushing he basically posted in three years what Zeke did in two years. Doesn't that tell you something as well?

37 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

But in rushing he basically posted in three years what Zeke did in two years. Doesn't that tell you something as well?

Yes, it does. Zeke had a better team around him, better blockers, offensive scheme and a much better defense. I would say that the receivers around him were better as well. This left Zeke as a powerful offensive weapon among many. Where as Barkley is the guy other teams have to beat. Barkley caught a lot more passes than Zeke and had a lot more yards receiving.

I'll say that Zeke is a beast. He's an ironman, he can certainly do it all. Seeing a lot of that in Barkley and possibly even more, doesn't necessarily equate to a knock on Zeke.

I just think that Zeke had a better team, a better scheme and benefitted more from it. They are both beasts, I think Barkley is better however. I think he's faster, has better hands, he's quicker and has some of the best balance I've seen. Reminds me of a bigger stronger Barry Sanders.  

Picking a RB # 1 is stupid, I am sorry but it is. We don't have a real RB problem, Crowell and Johnson are serviceable, instead of creating a need the GM should sign Crowell for another 3 yrs, maybe even over pay, and work on picking the best possible QB at #1. If, and then the best player at #4 which won't be Barkley.

5 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

Picking a RB # 1 is stupid, I am sorry but it is. We don't have a real RB problem, Crowell and Johnson are serviceable, instead of creating a need the GM should sign Crowell for another 3 yrs, maybe even over pay, and work on picking the best possible QB at #1. If, and then the best player at #4 which won't be Barkley.

Shmuck crow I would have no problem at all with barkley at #4  But just as long as we do not trade down I would be happy with derwin fitz or chubb

The Giants are also in play for Barkley. Saquon is the best player in the draft. I don't know how you can justify taking Garrett #1 overall, he barely impacts the game on a play to play basis. 

SB will impact every play on offense. It helps WHOEVER is going to be QB. 

Say the Browns DO take Barkley #1- what happens with the next two picks. I've heard that 3 or 4 QBs are the best QBs in the draft. 

Rosen's the best, no Darnolds the best... NO it's Mayfield. What about Allen? What about Rudolph or Jackson?... There is no question on who is the best runningback in the draft. Worse case scenario if Browns go Barkley #1? Rosen goes to the Giants and Darnold to whoever trades with the Colts. Well, 2 situations arise, 1) We are the team that trades with Indy to move up and secure the QB or 2)we hold our load and pick one of the other 4 remaining "best Qbs of the draft". 

Anybody could do better than Kizer did last year... and anybody will and should be able to shatter that bar with Barkley as the RB and Gordon as his #1. Coleman with another year and Njoku coming into his second year. A lot of our players will be entering their 2nd or 3rd year in the league and that's when players typically make a jump. We might surprise ourselves when these players mature.

Using the #1 overall pick on a position that has the shortest shelf life is not a sound philosophy PoG.

There's no reason to use such a valuable pick on a position that has been shown can be very ably manned by mid to late round picks.

8 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I'm sorry but this is the worst plan ever.

No, nobody needs a #1 RB, nobody. The notion that you don't take a RB #1 is stupid to me. If you have a chance to take an impact player(do you know what an impact player does?) you take that player and you don't look back.

Crofell is the absolute worst case scenario. I'd rather go get Jamal Lewis back out of retirement and watch him do another victory lap around the stadium.

Duke Johnson is not a feature RB.

We can get the best player in the draft in Saquon Barkley and fill a huge need without throwing money at Crowfell, who is a FA. I would rather draft Penny late then even resign Crow if we had the chance. Crow did well for an UDFA and he should get picked up somewhere, just not by us.

1 minute ago, Dutch Oven said:

Using the #1 overall pick on a position that has the shortest shelf life is not a sound philosophy PoG.

There's no reason to use such a valuable pick on a position that has been shown can be very ably manned by mid to late round picks.

We spent the #3 on Joe Thomas, played and made probowls for 10 years... How many games have we won? How many Playoff performances? How many games have we watched the Browns play after the New Year ball dropped? 

I'd take Barkley for 7 years and 5 playoff performances over another 10 years of suck.

Just now, PoeticG said:

We spent the #3 on Joe Thomas, played and made probowls for 10 years... How many games have we won? How many Playoff performances? How many games have we watched the Browns play after the New Year ball dropped? 

I'd take Barkley for 7 years and 5 playoff performances over another 10 years of suck.

What does Joe Thomas being taken #3 overall have to do with the poor decision that taking a RB #1 overall would be?

And how does taking Barkley #1 overall guarantee anything?

You need a weapon, the first guy is never going to tackle Barkley, he's the focus of attention. That opens up Gordon, Coleman, Njoku and Duke Johnson. There is soooo much to be gained by having a RB that can blow the game open on any play. 

There are not any other RBs that can do what Barkley can do. The kid is only 20 years old! He's only going to get better. 

With SOOO many QBs coming out this year you basically have your pick at 4. You won't find a rare talent like Barkley anywhere in the next 4 drafts. 

223 pounds, moving like a damn cat. 

The draft is a crap shoot. Myles Garrett #1 overall. What did Myles do that Conley didn't? He got injured, he didn't even go to the London game. I'm by no means hating on Myles, just saying, shelf life is whatever you make it, to me- it's an excuse to make yourself feel better passing on a franchise player.

WE ARE A RUNNING TEAM. We have the number one ranked rushing Defense. If we took Barkley we could have the #1 rushing attack. That would lead to wins. A lot more wins than taking another rookie QB who is going to suck another year from our lives. 

Gordon needs to have a big and productive year next year. A runningback as good as Laveon Bell will help that happen. If we take Barkley, look I don't care where or how they have to take him. Trade up to #2 if you have to, but you HAVE to get Barkley. 

48 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

Sorry Po- finding a #1 RB is not the Browns major problem. Finding a QB that can put an end to the endless jersey is....   

Here's the top 5 running backs of 2017, and where they were drafted....  

1 Kareem Hunt, #86 third round.

2 Todd Gurley #10 first round.

3 LeVeon Bell #48 second round.

4 Lesean McCoy #53 second round

5 Mark Ingraham #22 first round

So just keep on dreaming about the latest guy  that you can put his poster on your wall next to Trent Richardson's. I've already said Tom Brady has more SB (or championship wins) than Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders combined

6 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Sorry Po- finding a #1 RB is not the Browns major problem. Finding a QB that can put an end to the endless jersey is....   

Here's the top 5 running backs of 2017, and where they were drafted....  

1 Kareem Hunt, #86 third round.

2 Todd Gurley #10 first round.

3 LeVeon Bell #48 second round.

4 Lesean McCoy #53 second round

5 Mark Ingraham #22 first round

So just keep on dreaming about the latest guy  that you can put his poster on your wall next to Trent Richardson's. I've already said Tom Brady has more SB (or championship wins) than Jim Brown, Walter Payton, and Barry Sanders combined

...and none of these guys are on Barkley's level. So we could legit have the best RB in the NFL. That's worth the #1 pick over a GAMBLE on a long litany of #1 overall QB busts.

Gamble on a QB with #4 not #1, at #1 you take a difference maker. Somebody who is going to put wins on the board. Kizer could win if we had Barkley. Saquon is a huge boost to a team in DESPARATE need of a 'scorer of points'. 

Exhibit A- Saquon Barkley... Only the Browns could screw this up. 

...and none of these guys are on Barkley's level. So we could legit have the best RB in the NFL. That's worth the #1 pick over a GAMBLE on a long litany of #1 overall QB busts.

Your objectivity is glaringly lacking. Better than Peterson in his prime? 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Gamble on a QB with #4 not #1, at #1 you take a difference maker. Somebody who is going to put wins on the board. Kizer could win if we had Barkley. Saquon is a huge boost to a team in DESPARATE need of a 'scorer of points'. 

Exhibit A- Saquon Barkley... Only the Browns could screw this up. 

No, only you could screw this up. QB is the # 1 difference maker- name Brady's running backs if you dare.... 

He's probably better than Bell. Bell was #3 on that list, sooo he's at least that good. He's better than Gurly. Better than Ingraham. 

Barkley has some work to do to make the #1 overall pay off. But, I have a feeling that he will come as billed. 

Rosen's been injured, he's slow, he'll be killed in Cleveland. Kizer is much bigger than Rosen and he barely survived. 

Darnold is NOT Wentz. We can't just draft another red-head and hope that they all play the same.

There's tons of QBs. It's only possible for 2 of them to be gone and I don't think a even one of them will be gone before 4. Too many Question marks to gamble that high on a QB. 

Fitzpatrick, Chubbs even the OTs coming out are more a sure thing than these "top2" QBs. 

I actually think that at least one of the two teams at 2 and 3 pick a defensive player. That's pretty good odds that our QB will be there at 4. Actually even better chance if we like Allen, Rudolph or Mayfield, even Jackson. 

BUUUUT, if you don't take Barkley #1 he's is definitely gone by 4. 

1 hour ago, PoeticG said:

I'm sorry but this is the worst plan ever.

No, nobody needs a #1 RB, nobody. The notion that you don't take a RB #1 is stupid to me. If you have a chance to take an impact player(do you know what an impact player does?) you take that player and you don't look back.

Crofell is the absolute worst case scenario. I'd rather go get Jamal Lewis back out of retirement and watch him do another victory lap around the stadium.

Duke Johnson is not a feature RB.

We can get the best player in the draft in Saquon Barkley and fill a huge need without throwing money at Crowfell, who is a FA. I would rather draft Penny late then even resign Crow if we had the chance. Crow did well for an UDFA and he should get picked up somewhere, just not by us.

The issue is what the priority is, RB is way low on what the Browns need. Take the top QB #1 and the best player available at #4. My preference is Chubb, Fitzpatrick or Derwin. We can live with an average back. We need a QB, WRs and help in the secondary. Thats why you resign Crowell so you are not creating a need you don't need too. The Browns have done this far too often. Letting players walk causing voids you have to use draft picks on.

These QB's are not Brady. They are more of the David Carr and Leaf incarnations. 

1 minute ago, runyon27 said:

The issue is what the priority is, RB is way low on what the Browns need. Take the top QB #1 and the best player available at #4. My preference is Chubb, Fitzpatrick or Derwin. We can live with an average back. We need a QB, WRs and help in the secondary. Thats why you resign Crowell so you are not creating a need you don't need too. The Browns have done this far too often. Letting players walk causing voids you have to use draft picks on.

I like those Defensive players as well, much more than any of the TOP 3 QBs. They won't fix the Browns alone. Nobody can. Barkley can't. But, Barkley can FREEZE the LBs and Safeties to allow Gordon and the WR/TEs to make plays. A QB's job is to get the playmakers the ball. We need playmakers. 

Crowfell is not a playmaker. 

Every team can make a case to move up and take Barkley. Nobody is going to be trying to move heaven and earth to come up and get josh rosen. 

You guys need to take of the QB colored glasses for just a minute. Use them to watch Saquon Barkley for 5 damn minutes. Use the trusty eyes that god gave you and come back here and tell me that Saquon ain't got Sheet we need. 

I like those Defensive players as well, much more than any of the TOP 3 QBs. They won't fix the Browns alone. Nobody can. Barkley can't. But, Barkley can FREEZE the LBs and Safeties to allow Gordon and the WR/TEs to make plays. A QB's job is to get the playmakers the ball. We need playmakers. 

Crowfell is not a playmaker. 

Every team can make a case to move up and take Barkley. Nobody is going to be trying to move heaven and earth to come up and get josh rosen. 

you are Shmucking high or brain damaged 

The Browns need to develop a Shmucking qb (you know something we have not had since 99) we now have a chance to do that  bring in a vet and take the highest rated QB at #1 

9 minutes ago, syd said:

you are Shmucking high or brain damaged 

The Browns need to develop a Shmucking qb (you know something we have not had since 99) we now have a chance to do that  bring in a vet and take the highest rated QB at #1 

We haven't had a QB since 99? I believe we have the record for Qbs used in that time frame.

I'm obviously not the one who is high or brain damaged. What makes you think for one second that Cleveland even has the capacity to develop a QB?

Weeden, Manziel, Quinn- All first rounders, add in Kizer(2nd), various OLD VETS- McCown- who played well in NY, Hoyer(Under Brady, whom the Patriots wanted back)- WE'VE HAD THEM ALL, 3rd rounder- McCoy, Kessler. Even #1 overall Tim Couch. We've tried this approach 100 times. We were always meant to be a running team. That's just who we are. A Stud RB is JUST as important as a QB. 

You hear EVERYWHERE how RARE Barkley is. But the Browns HAAAVE to draft a QB #1 Overall. Shmuck that, we don't have to do ANYTHING> 

We need to fix the QB situation. But if the only way to do that is to burn the #1 overall is the ONLY way to go. Dorsey isn't worth his salt if that is the ONLY way to fix this. That is the LAZY man's fix. Duct tape and a Shmucking bandaid... that's cowpoop. Take Barkley and get Mayfield, Darnold or Rosen or Allen or RUDOLPH at 4. 

2 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

We haven't had a QB since 99? I believe we have the record for Qbs used in that time frame.

I'm obviously not the one who is high or brain damaged. What makes you think for one second that Cleveland even has the capacity to develop a QB?

Weeden, Manziel, Quinn- All first rounders, add in Kizer(2nd), various OLD VETS- McCown- who played well in NY, Hoyer(Under Brady, whom the Patriots wanted back)- WE'VE HAD THEM ALL, 3rd rounder- McCoy, Kessler. Even #1 overall Tim Couch. We've tried this approach 100 times. We were always meant to be a running team. That's just who we are. A Stud RB is JUST as important as a QB. 

no poe We have never tried to develop a Q.B never we are in a position now to do so with are cap space and high draft picks,the vets you mentioned are perennial  back up's the rookies were thrown into the fire time for that crap to stop cause until we get a Q.B we will continue to suck

Archived