THE BROWNS BOARD

Camp Barkley #1 Overall

cdl15

• Replies 549
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cdl15 said:

If they draft these two guys and land an Alex Smith type I would Shmucking backflips.

Won’t matter if Hue is coaching. They will go 0-16 again 

• 2 weeks later...

Camp Barkley for sure. #1. After that it's a regular draft. We pick 3rd. If we really want someone we move up and get them or we just let it come to us at 3. 

Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Jackson, Mayfield- there's 5 QBs. There are not 5 Barkley's. Not in this draft or the next one after that. Barkley is as good, if not better than Bell for the Steelers. 

We would actually have a better run game than the Steelers next year. You are going to lose your mind when Barkley jumps over the line. This dude can cut on a dime, the defense wouldn't know whether to watch him or Josh Gordon. You have to have that threat of Barkley bouncing outside, gets the linebackers froze for a second while the WR make moves. They realize it's a play action it's too late, they fall back to defend that and bam!~ It's a screen. Touchdown.  

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Camp Barkley for sure. #1. After that it's a regular draft. We pick 3rd. If we really want someone we move up and get them or we just let it come to us at 3. 

The Browns have the #1 and #4 overall pick in Round 1. Not #3.

2 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

The Browns have the #1 and #4 overall pick in Round 1. Not #3.

We did have that until we decided to take Barkley #1. Now it's a normal draft and we are #3 overall. 

3 of the top 5 will be waiting for us at 3. 

1 minute ago, PoeticG said:

We did have that until we decided to take Barkley #1. Now it's a normal draft and we are #3 overall. 

3 of the top 5 will be waiting for us at 3. 

The draft is very hard to predict.

But the Browns are not taking Barkley #1.

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

The draft is very hard to predict.

But the Browns are not taking Barkley #1.

I get that "normally" teams wouldn't take a RB #1. But being as he the biggest playmaker with the highest potential, NFL ready to plug and play... And since Crowfell is a FA, ANNND because we also have the #4 overall, it changes the "rules". We ARE able to take the most dangerous offensive weapon and still take a top 3 player on top of that. 

Barkley in Brown and Orange will be like getting Ernie Davis back.

Delved into that a little bit and found this... Maybe taking Barkley breaks the curse? 

Davis was the number-one pick in the 1962 NFL Draft. Selected by the Washington Redskins,[12] he was traded to the Cleveland Browns. He was also drafted by the Buffalo Bills of the American Football League.[13]

Redskins founder and owner George Preston Marshall was an avowed racist who kept the Redskins entirely white long after the other teams had integrated. He openly admitted that his unwillingness to sign a black player was an effort to appeal to his mostly Southern fan base (they had long been the southernmost team in the league). The signing only came when Interior Secretary Stewart Udall issued an ultimatum to Marshall: sign a black player by the start of the 1962 season, or he would revoke the Redskins' 30-year lease on D.C. Stadium (now Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Stadium). The stadium was a city-owned facility, and the Washington city government has long been legally reckoned as a branch of the federal government (given that the Constitution gives Congress ultimate authority over the capital). Marshall could not bring himself to draft a black player, so he left the decision to general manager and head coach Bill McPeak, who picked Davis. Davis refused to play for the Redskins and demanded a trade.[14] A deal with Cleveland was engineered by Browns coach Paul Brown without the knowledge and consent of the owner Art Modell. This had been standard operating procedure with the Browns from their inception in 1946; Brown served as his own general manager, and had enjoyed a free hand in football matters.[15][16] The Redskins traded the rights to Davis to the Cleveland Browns for Bobby Mitchell and first-round draft pick Leroy Jackson. Davis chose to go to the Cleveland Browns where his classmate John Brown would be his roommate and Jim Brown, whom he admired, was already playing.

Davis signed a three-year, $200,000 contract with the Browns in late December 1961 in San Francisco while preparing for the East-West Shrine Game.[17][18] Originally reported at $80,000, the contract, according to Davis's attorney, Tony DeFilippo, consisted of $80,000 for playing football, including a $15,000 signing bonus; $60,000 for ancillary rights, such as image marketing; and $60,000 for off-season employment.[18] It was the most lucrative contract for an NFL rookie up to that time.[18]

The Browns' dream of pairing Davis with Jim Brown took a tragic turn when Davis was diagnosed with leukemia. The rift between Coach Brown and Modell worsened when Modell brought in doctors who said Davis was well enough to play and Brown still refused to allow it. Although Davis's leukemia was in remission at the time, Brown felt letting him play would hurt team morale. This contributed to Modell's decision to replace Brown before the 1963 season.

Davis was allowed to practice on the field without physical contact and helped Brown draw up game plans but he never played a meaningful down. His only appearance at Cleveland Stadium came at a pre-season game on August 18,[2] in which he ran onto the field as a spotlight followed him. Following his death, the Browns retired his number 45 jersey.[19]

-----------------------------------------

So that's why Modell fired Paul Brown. 

NFL Draft:

Ernie Davis Draft Selection

Coincidence??? 

1962 / Round: 1 / Pick: 1

AFL draft:

1962 / Round: 1 / Pick: 4

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

The Browns' dream of pairing Davis with Jim Brown took a tragic turn when Davis was diagnosed with leukemia. The rift between Coach Brown and Modell worsened when Modell brought in doctors who said Davis was well enough to play and Brown still refused to allow it. Although Davis's leukemia was in remission at the time, Brown felt letting him play would hurt team morale. This contributed to Modell's decision to replace Brown before the 1963 season.

Davis was allowed to practice on the field without physical contact and helped Brown draw up game plans but he never played a meaningful down. His only appearance at Cleveland Stadium came at a pre-season game on August 18,[2] in which he ran onto the field as a spotlight followed him. Following his death, the Browns retired his number 45 jersey.[19]

Sad thing is Po- if then was now, Davis probably would have been cured of leukemia. The advances in treatment since then have been nothing short of miraculous. Acute leukemia in the '60s was a death sentence. My younger brother died from it a few years after Davis. 

Barkley is the closest thing to a sure thing in this draft. He's going to go to INDY to help Luck if we don't take him #1. 

I'm starting to see Mayfield as the best passer from the bunch. He's pretty accurate and he brings excitement. I think he'll go pretty early, earlier than most predict. Maybe we should just take him #4. 

Barkley/Mayfield could be explosive. Gordon would make it a trifecta. I'm really starting to like this scenario. 

15 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Barkley is the closest thing to a sure thing in this draft. He's going to go to INDY to help Luck if we don't take him #1. 

I'm starting to see Mayfield as the best passer from the bunch. He's pretty accurate and he brings excitement. I think he'll go pretty early, earlier than most predict. Maybe we should just take him #4. 

Barkley/Mayfield could be explosive. Gordon would make it a trifecta. I'm really starting to like this scenario. 

To be honest Po, I could live with Barkley\ Mayfield. Here's a very real possibility. Let's assume the Colts are willing to trade down- to say Denver. QBs go #1, #2, #3. Guess who's there @ #4? Your fave Barkley. We've already posted this in another thread. The 4 greatest RBs of all time- Smith, Payton, Sanders, Brown didn't get drafted #1 overall. You want to tell me Saquon is in that class? Hell's Bells- the guy I would have loved the Browns to draft 15 years ago, Ladanian Tomlinson didn't go that high, and the greatest RB of recent vintage Adrian Peterson didn't either. So there. If Dorsey has two communicating neurons, he's going to take the QB FIRST, (or you forget Jimmuh  has told John, finding the QBOTF is job #1, #2, AND #3?) and hope Barkley falls to #4. 

BTW, Brady has won more Super Bowls (or NFL Championships) than Smith, Payton, Sanders, and Brown combined so you tell me what's more important. 

3 minutes ago, hoorta said:

To be honest Po, I could live with Barkley\ Mayfield. Here's a very real possibility. Let's assume the Colts are willing to trade down- to say Denver. QBs go #1, #2, #3. Guess who's there @ #4? Your fave Barkley. We've already posted this in another thread. The 4 greatest RBs of all time- Smith, Payton, Sanders, Brown didn't get drafted #1 overall. You want to tell me Saquon is in that class? Hell's Bells- the guy I would have loved the Browns to draft 15 years ago, Ladanian Tomlinson didn't go that high, and the greatest RB of recent vintage Adrian Peterson didn't either. So there. If Dorsey has two communicating neurons, he's going to take the QB FIRST, (or you forget Jimmuh  has told John, finding the QBOTF is job #1, #2, AND #3?) and hope Barkley falls to #4. 

BTW, Brady has won more Super Bowls (or NFL Championships) than Smith, Payton, Sanders, and Brown combined so you tell me what's more important. 

I love ya bro... but wasn't Brady drafted in the 6th round, not #1 overall? ;)

3 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

I love ya bro... but wasn't Brady drafted in the 6th round, not #1 overall? ;)

Well, the odds of the Patriots getting hit by lightning again are approaching zero Po . FWIW- Gipper posted the RBs drafted #1 overall since 1966, and the only one who truly lived up to his status was Earl Campbell. Bo Jackson might have if he hadn't suffered a fluke injury. 

The point is, Franchise QB trumps Franchise RB by a country mile, and it's not even that close. To prove a point- I'll bet you can name me every starting QB for the teams left in the playoffs. Running backs? I'll spot you Le'Veon Bell for the Steelers. Give me three more (without looking), and you win a pair of Browns tickets. 

Rosen wants to be in Cleveland -- IF AND ONLY IF the people in Browns organization are interested in supporting him.. And he actually thinks the same about any team.  That's the totality of the actual quote. Yep -- he had the temerity to point out the objective fact that some organizations are dysfunctional.

Rosen at #1, DB [Fitzpatrick?] at the 4.. wouldn't hurt to go CB/WR in the second.

There’s a lot of talent coming out at the RB position this year. The browns definitely need one of them, but I think it’s most likely that Dorsey takes his shot in the mid rounds.  He has a track record of taking star quality offensive playmakers in the mid rounds (Travis Kelce, Tyreek Hill, Kareem Hunt) let’s see if he can do it in Cleveland.  None of it will matter if he can’t get the QB situation sorted though. 

A case against taking Barkley high by a Colts writter...

PSA: Draft value and other reasons the Colts should not draft a RB early

I’m positive drafting Saquon Barkley wouldn’t be the biggest mistake we could make, but it would absolutely be stupid.

“But he’s a once in a generation talent!”

So was Todd Gurley. So was Leonard Fournette. So was Ezekiel Elliot. So was Trent Richardson. So unless we change the definition of “once in a generation” to actually mean “best college running back since literally 1 to 2 years ago” that doesn’t hold much water.

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2017/12/28/16801912/psa-like-it-or-not-the-draft-is-about-value-and-other-reasons-not-to-draft-a-rb-early

14 hours ago, hoorta said:

Ladanian Tomlinson didn't go that high, and the greatest RB of recent vintage Adrian Peterson didn't either.

wait.... LaDanian was drafted with the fifth overall pick. Peterson 7th overall pick. not that much different than the 4th pick.

Well....lets see Who WERE the greatest talents at RB of a Generation.   I will go here by the era in which they played...not by their personal birth period:

Baby Boomer Generation:    1946-1964.     I say Jim Brown who played from 1957 to 1965.   

Gen X.   1965 to 1982   I think I have to say OJ Simpson....who played from 1969 to 1979   (I might have said Walter Payton...but he played in a cross generation time frame....1975-1987)

Millenials   1982 to 2000    I think you have to say Barry Sanders.   (Emmit Smith was also "cross generation: 1990 to 2004....I will stick with Sanders)

????Generation....what are they calling this?   2000-2018:  Candidates:    LaDanian Tomlinson...or Adrian Peterson. That is a hard choice, fair to say? I think I would come down on the side of LDT...but just by a nose hair. 

The Next Generation:  IF Saquon Barkley....or anyone else...wants to be known as the RB of a Generation....then he will HAVE to prove to be as good as the likes of Jim Brown,  OJ Simpson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, LaDanian Tomlinson...or Adrian Peterson....from my point of view.

How about The Lost Generation.....from 1928 to 1945.   That distinction may actually belong to Akron Ohio's own Cliff Battles.   He led the league in rushing the most times...and also led his team to a title in 1937.   His biggest competition is Bronko Nagurski.

How about the GI Generation:  1910 to 1928.   Stats are pretty much difficult to discern....so I am going to make an Executive Decision and say that the RB of the GI Generation   was Jim Thorpe.......and who is going to argue with that?

So...you got:

Jim Thorpe

Cliff Battles/Bronko Nagurski

Jim Brown

OJ Simpson

.....Walter Payton (cross gen.)

Barry Sanders

....Emmitt Smith (cross gen.)

LaDanian Tomlinson/ Adrian Peterson

If you don't fit in with these guys....FRACK off in terms of calling someone the RB of a generation.

Fair enough?

10 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

A RB at 1 had better be the reincarnation of Walter Payton or Barry Sanders. Barkley is not that. He had several games this year where he didn't break 100 yards. Barkley isn't even Zeke.

The thing is that he does both

Rushing & Receiving & Kickoff Return.

He nearly matched Zeke in yards from scrimmage. He is a little bit bigger than Zeke but much faster. The point is, he is a legitimate weapon and it's easy to see what he can project to be at the next level. If "you" can't see it it's because of Cleveland's blind obsession with every new QB "savior" that comes along.

Barkley is the "next generation". When they say he is "generational"- it's because of his style, his build, the speed and the hands that will define the "next generation of runningbacks", all around solid player. Not that he's going to be better than AP or Sanders. It's because those players changed the game with their play. I don't know how else to explain it to you. 

All
Rushing Team GP Att Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD Lng 100+
2013 OSU 7 30 4.3 262 8.7 37.4 2 57 1
2014 OSU 15 273 18.2 1878 6.9 125.2 18 85 9
2015 OSU 13 289 22.2 1821 6.3 140.1 23 80 12
All
Receiving Team GP Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 100+
2013 OSU 7 3 23 7.7 3.3 11 1 0
2014 OSU 15 28 220 7.9 14.7 22 0 0
2015 OSU 13 27 206 7.6 15.8 30 0 0
All
    Punt Return Kick Return
  Punt Return Kick Return
Returning Team GP PR Yds TD Lng Ret Yds TD Lng
2014 OSU 15 0 0 0 0 1 16 0 16
2015 OSU 13 2 13 0 10 0 0 0 0
  •  
|
Year

Career

Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos G Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
*2015 Penn State Big Ten FR RB 11 182 1076 5.9 7 20 161 8.1 1 202 1237 6.1 8
*2016 Penn State Big Ten SO RB 14 272 1496 5.5 18 28 402 14.4 4 300 1898 6.3 22
2017 Penn State Big Ten JR RB 13 217 1271 5.9 18 54 632 11.7 3 271 1903 7.0 21

RUSHING Stats
YEAR TEAM ATT YDS AVG LNG TD
2017 217 1271 5.9 92 18
2016 272 1496 5.5 81 18
2015 182 1076 5.9 56 7
RECEIVING Stats
YEAR TEAM REC YDS AVG LNG TD
2017 54 632 11.7 85 3
2016 28 402 14.4 44 4
2015 20 161 8.1 32 1
RETURN Stats PUNTS KICKOFFS
YEAR TEAM PR YDS TD FC LNG KR YDS TD LNG
2017 0 0 0 0 0 15 426 2 98
2016 0 0 0 0 0 3 74 0 33

Here's Barkley's stats for last season. On par with Zeke. 

Also, Barkley doesn't fumble. 

You should too, we're picking him #1.

The Colts fans want to draft Barkley soooo bad. 

Hogan - Barkley - Gordon 

From Worst to First next year. 

Archived