THE BROWNS BOARD

Todd Haley

LionOfBuddha

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure, there were a few effed up calls in that game Sunday.....but I don't see a reason to fire him....they DID score 42 pts.

Why isn't there DC fired as well?

I would say...sure....interview him.  Kizer a bit of a BR clone...without the intellect or accuracy....but maybe Haley could help. Either Kizer of the guy to be drafted.

Dear Todd, did ya get the train number Ben rolled you under in his presser?:o Even though your offense put up 42 points against a damn good Jags defense (enough to win). Scout Cheerleader Tomlin says his defensive staff will stay in Tack..YoaTomlin, your defense gave up 45 to the Faguars..Edit--Haley was told his contract would not be extended..convinantly Fired..    

BR did question those few calls...as he probably should have. 

I guess my question is this....as I know that HCs have done this in the past:   Don't HCs have "veto" power over plays that are called...expecially in very crucial situations?

I always thought they did.  Especially one with the authority of Tomlin.   Its 4th and inches...and the OC calls for a sweep...cannot, should not the HC say: "Hey Todd....I think we want to do something different here.  Lets just have Ben sneak it for those few inches.  Let's go with that."

Now...that does NOT seem out of line for an HC to do...a couple of times a game.   If the HC is questioning his OC on like every 3rd play...that is different.   But, on 4th and one?   HC prerogative.   So...to me...Tomlin has himself to blame there....and should not be making Haley his scapegoat. 

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Lets just have Ben sneak it for those few inches.  Let's go with that." 

the adjusting Hailey, has been protecting the old man Ben, from sneak injuries all season..most steel queen fans should tell ya the same

Tomlin opted not to take a 38 yard FG and go for it and failed. Tomlin went for it again on 4th down and failed giving Jax the ball at the 39 yard line. In 3 downs Jax was across mid field and on the Pitt 48 yard line.

Ben threw an INT that resulted in 7 points and then fumbled for another 7 point run back.

Tomlin let his players spout off all week about the AFC Championship game that they were going to. One of his players was outside the Jax locker room before the game crowing about the axx whipping Pitt was about to give them. Tomlin himself got in on the act with a Tony Dungy interview earlier.

Its Haleys fault that Tomlin is an idiot.

19 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Don't HCs have "veto" power over plays that are called...expecially in very crucial situations?

Yes, they do... but to overrule a play call, they'd better be willing to spend a timeout.

With the 35 second, play clock rolling and down to 30 after unpiling the prior play and personnel running onto the field to run the OC's call... which has to be completed prior to the 20 second mark... there's very little time for the HC to overrule, send out a different package to run a different play... especially when you consider the refs step in and hold up the snap until the D has had adequate time to counter any personnel changes.

If an HC wants input, as soon as the previous play is over he needs to make his input.

53 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yes, they do... but to overrule a play call, they'd better be willing to spend a timeout.

With the 35 second, play clock rolling and down to 30 after unpiling the prior play and personnel running onto the field to run the OC's call... which has to be completed prior to the 20 second mark... there's very little time for the HC to overrule, send out a different package to run a different play... especially when you consider the refs step in and hold up the snap until the D has had adequate time to counter any personnel changes.

If an HC wants input, as soon as the previous play is over he needs to make his input.

Sure....but, if it is SUCH a critical play, then that would be a likely valid use of a timeout.  You see it happen all the time in those situations.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Sure....but, if it is SUCH a critical play, then that would be a likely valid use of a timeout.  You see it happen all the time in those situations.

And now you know why...

1 hour ago, Zombo said:

Looks like Haley is going to be the guy, which I think is great ...

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2018/01/browns_are_close_to_hiring_tod.html

Why not? After all, THEY got Haden!

Mike  

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

oh, hell no.

You are a friend of mine, but this closed mindedness HAS to stop!

We are trying to build a WINNER here!!!

Mike

2 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

You are a friend of mine, but this closed mindedness HAS to stop!

We are trying to build a WINNER here!!!

Mike

You're a friend of mine, too, but you don't stop and think. It's a great draft for rb's,  I know you hate to read, but come on, seriously:

"loser loser dope, rap and booze loser. that's bell"

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/pittsburgh-steelers-nfl-features-news-blog-long-form/2018/1/21/16911348/a-true-steelers-dilemma-is-leveon-bell-worth-the-trouble-nfl-free-agency-news

Ed Bouchette reported recently in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette the All-Pro running back had missed all but five minutes of the Steelers' Saturday walk-through before their playoff loss to Jacksonville the following day. (Maybe he was busy dreaming up his social media message in which he totally discounted the Jacksonville Jaguars and looked ahead to the New England matchup, which I can't find in any tv listings this weekend.)

Then on Sunday, he showed up later than Mike Tomlin's scheduled time to the locker room for game time. This would seem like an aberration, if Bell didn't have a rap sheet of unprofessionalism and immaturity during his Steeler career. Also, one can't ignore his hip-hop career in which he has incessantly rapped about his contract displeasure. For old time sake, let's review some of Bell's low-lights.

• His arrest for DUI and marijuana possession following driving to the airport before a preseason game in Philadelphia with LeGarrette Blount in 2014, this ultimately resulted in a two-game suspension to start the 2015 season.
  • His suspension for missing drug tests in December 2016 resulted in a three-game suspension to begin the 2016 season.
  • His hip-hop songs highlighting his contract displeasure.
  • His turning down a reported $12 million a year contract offer tendered by the team, four million more than the next-highest paid RB (LeSean McCoy).
  • His slow start following his failing to report to 2017 training camp until days before the season opener.
  • Voicing displeasure in the media regarding play calling after a mere 15 carries in the Week 5 loss to Jacksonville.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/ron-cook/2018/01/21/leveon-bell-contract-franchise-tag-tweeting-holdout-retirement-steelers-patriots-jaguars/stories/201801210080

First, Bell told ESPN that he would sit out next season or even retire if the team doesn’t meet his contract demands and puts its franchise tag on him for a second consecutive year. Nice timing, right? Really bad look. Then, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette’s Ed Bouchette, Bell blew off most of the Steelers’ walk-through practice last Saturday. Talk about disrespecting Mike Tomlin and his teammates. Finally, Bell tweeted the night before the Jacksonville game that he was really looking forward to Round 2 against the New England Patriots in the AFC championship. For all of it, he should have been penalized 15 yards for unnecessary stupidity.

He proved he has matured in one major way by not getting suspended for the third year in a row because of a marijuana issue and proved he can start and finish a season healthy for the first time.

I also have some advice for Bell: Grow up and stop acting so infantile. Keep playing football, even if it means lowering yourself to make a mere $14.5 million. And one more thing … stop tweeting. Please.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

oh, hell no.

Sorry Cal, I thought you were saying HELL NO to both Haley & Bell. I would love to have Haley, but after reading your post & accepting it to be accurate, I'm not so sure about Bell.

I presume you're ok with Haley?

Mike

We have talked about character for years. Haley has had a terrific career around the NFL. He's noted as a very strong, aggressive, creative coach. I think that's a GREAT thing that he would come here.

I haven't said one word about not wanting Haley to come here, and this is page two. Now that someone wants bell to come with him, I said "hell, no". 

Archived