THE BROWNS BOARD

Deeply Religious People are Weird

MLD Woody

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

That is all

I think that applies to anyone who dives too deep into anything that is religious, spiritual, or weird faux philosophical. My wife knows some dummies who got really into The Secret. She also is friends with some girls who believe in the power of crystals and "healing energy". Hippie nonsense that Jas just grips my leg and gives me the "don't do it" look when they try to ramble on. They have picked up on my feelings about it and generally don't go too deep into the subject when I am around. 

American King James Version
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but to us which are saved it is the power of God.

1 Corinthians 2:14King James Version (KJV)

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

There's little I dislike more than a religious zealot regardless of what ancient dogma they subscribe to. Christians irk me the most because I know a lot of fake pious douchebags who do scummy sh:t and believe praying to jebus is gonna make that ok. 

Muslims are clearly the most dangerous, but they're all sh:t

20 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

I'm not sure what you're interpretation of that passage is, but I imagine it's one that absolves Christianity of something a crazy follower would do.

A crazy follower who perhaps would lay his life down for others? That would be the flip side. 

Those passages of scripture only point out that the world believes the message of the cross to be foolishness until ones eyes are opened to the truth. I think human history has born that out up until the present day.

4 hours ago, OldBrownsFan said:

A crazy follower who perhaps would lay his life down for others? That would be the flip side. 

Those passages of scripture only point out that the world believes the message of the cross to be foolishness until ones eyes are opened to the truth. I think human history has born that out up until the present day.

What history? That people don't believe something until they do? Obviously. You either do or you don't. 

There's going to be an interpretation of a passage in the Bible (or any other religious text) for everything you need an explanation for. They've been defending it for hundreds of years

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Yep. Exactly

I don't want to put words in your mouth but If I remember right Woody you thought Ben Carson was not fit for public office because he believes in prayer and God speaking to him. That would disqualify many believers from public service in your view.

1 minute ago, OldBrownsFan said:

I don't want to put words in your mouth but If I remember right Woody you thought Ben Carson was not fit for public office because he believes in prayer and God speaking to him. That would disqualify many believers from public service in your view.

Correct. 

The more religious someone is, the less I want them in public office. 

I don't remember exactly what Carson believed, but I remember it was someone ridiculous Sheet.

5 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Correct. 

I don't remember exactly what Carson believed, but I remember it was someone ridiculous Sheet.

It was something I didn't believe but I thought it was an interesting theory on the pyramids being built to store grain in Joseph's time in Egypt. In the bible Joseph was warned (God spoke to him) of a 7 year famine to come and he stored up grain ahead of the famine.  

On 1/17/2018 at 12:47 PM, The Cysko Kid said:

There's little I dislike more than a religious zealot regardless of what ancient dogma they subscribe to. Christians irk me the most because I know a lot of fake pious douchebags who do scummy sh:t and believe praying to jebus is gonna make that ok. 

Muslims are clearly the most dangerous, but they're all sh:t

On 1/18/2018 at 12:14 PM, MLD Woody said:

Correct. 

Perfect example of why the "separation of church and state" doctrine should be further encoded into a possible constitutional amendment:

Judge Interjects, Tells Jury That God Wants A Not Guilty Verdict

At least he had the decency to recuse himself after the jury denied his stupid request

1 hour ago, jbluhm86 said:

Perfect example of why the "separation of church and state" doctrine should be further encoded into a possible constitutional amendment:

Judge Interjects, Tells Jury That God Wants A Not Guilty Verdict

At least he had the decency to recuse himself after the jury denied his stupid request

as if the first amendment wasnt enough....

while on the subject of "judges"  there's a whole group of the activists all over the left coast

wouldn't it be nice if they did the same courtesy?

1 hour ago, calfoxwc said:

An important aspect of religion is ignoring all of the science around you that explains away your beliefs.

With that in mind, climate change deniers are much closer to religious fanatics

On 1/17/2018 at 7:17 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

I think that applies to anyone who dives too deep into anything that is religious, spiritual, or weird faux philosophical. My wife knows some dummies who got really into The Secret. She also is friends with some girls who believe in the power of crystals and "healing energy". Hippie nonsense that Jas just grips my leg and gives me the "don't do it" look when they try to ramble on. They have picked up on my feelings about it and generally don't go too deep into the subject when I am around. 

You should go out in the back yard, find a decent looking rock to put in the house before they show up and then offer to let them pet your new pet rock when they start talking Sheet. Give it a name like Rocky or Hardass. That'll go over big too.:rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

An important aspect of religion is ignoring all of the science around you that explains away your beliefs.

I disagree - religious fanatics refused to accept anything that contradicts their locked in loyalty to even a farfetched nonsense cult.

The mmgw people refuse to accept any legit science that contradicts their locked in loyalty to even a farfetched nonsense belief.

Fairly close, imho.

10 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I disagree - religious fanatics refused to accept anything that contradicts their locked in loyalty to even a farfetched nonsense cult.

The mmgw people refuse to accept any legit science that contradicts their locked in loyalty to even a farfetched nonsense belief.

Fairly close, imho.

This is literally you. 

The fact that you even had to clarify "legit science" in the second paragraph just adds to that.

too bad, woodpecker - you just did it again. It isn't about me or you - it's about the freaking subject. There are two sides to the mmgw story, you only accept one side. I see both sides, and conclude that the mmgw is a crock because of the two sides conflicting.

You adhere to the one side, and will only accept one side of it all. And clarification of "legit science" is simply a reference to the many posts we've made, with top scientists in the world, and all the mmw experts whose quotes reference the need to mmgw because it's their only chance for redistribution of wealth, etc etc etc etc.

Thta's you, woodpecker. Just another personal insult from you to divert attention that you are wrong. Not one bit of evidence that you are absolutely correct. You're have always been wrong about mmgw. That's why you and all went with the fallback "climate change".Options

Yes, climate changes. But you didn't address any of the content of the link. I didn't insult you, I simply disagreed, and explained why.

Have a nice day in your little birdhouse.

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Coulda fooled me.

You're too easy.

•  
  • REGISTERED
  • 30,788 posts
  • Interests:Traveling, fishing, camping, gardening/farming,groundhog/squirrel/turkey hunting,
    ***BROWNS***
3 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

4 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Fairly close, imho.

Archived