THE BROWNS BOARD

Why are we looking for an offensive coordinator?

Orion

Is it the owner's idea?

Was it Dorsey's idea upon being hired?  "If you're not gonna fire the HC then I want an OC brought in"  -  type of thing.

Is it Hue's idea? 

What are the stipulations to the perpetual OC candidates?  1) Hue will call the plays, we will run Hue's offense and you will be a puppet figure OC?  2)  You can bring in your offense and call plays.  3) You bring your offense but Ray Farmer will call plays via text messages.

on 1-1, in hue's presser, out of his own lips "serving as HC & play calling could have been to much"..he would consider meeting with OC's if "Hue" thought it would move the team forward. If Hue don't?, Dorsey maybe really saying "Hue convince me or "I'll make that decision"...Remember Hue had Pep Hamilton as Associate Head Coach. He walked to Michigan cause Hue did his job too. We have hired 2 QB coaches. Who's the QB guru around here? now a good RB coach goes cause, well if ya ask Crow he's been disrespected while Duke is consoling Kizer Hue has not ruined your career..while Pottzie on Happy Dayes is wearing TD shades,,,can't wait till training campB)can you?  Go Vikings!!          

46 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

Remember Hue had Pep Hamilton as Associate Head Coach. He walked to Michigan cause Hue did his job too.

This is what's going on in my head.  Pep didn't have the OC title.  He was Hue's assistant.  (coffee fetcher as the Ghoul would like to put it).  So Pep took off.  Hue WANTS everything offensive his way and he wants to call the plays.  What he really wants is an OC to be his 'assistant' only.   At least that's my take on Hue.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Is it the owner's idea?

Was it Dorsey's idea upon being hired?  "If you're not gonna fire the HC then I want an OC brought in"  -  type of thing.

Is it Hue's idea? 

What are the stipulations to the perpetual OC candidates?  1) Hue will call the plays, we will run Hue's offense and you will be a puppet figure OC?  2)  You can bring in your offense and call plays.  3) You bring your offense but Ray Farmer will call plays via text messages.

DUDE................. Listen to me..................... DORSEY IS A COFFEE FETCHER....................... HE IS PHIL SEWAGE..................HE IS MIKE HOLMGREN....................

THIS GUY MUST BE FIRED>.................... NOW..................................

WTF is the value of a new FO boss, if he has to do what Haslam tells him? DORSEY.................Here on forever to be called DORKEY............... is not here to draw a sword. He is not here to save this franchise. He is here to still the waters, to distract the fans. He is giong to sit on his asss, let Haslom continue to play football genius, collect his fat salary, and in 2 or 3 years, deliver the " We made a lot of progress, but we didn't get it done" speech.

THe 2018 Browns will not win 4 games.

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

WTF is the value of a new FO boss, if he has to do what Haslam tells him?

This, of course, is the fear.  And it's a very REAL fear since Haslam was the one voicing that the coach would not be fired.  I mean, if Haslam had even HALF a brain, he'd have let Dorsey make that statement...to at least 'show' that Dorsey was in control.  Instead, he puts out there that both Hue & Dorsey report to Haslam.  :huh:

Anyway, we digress on that issue.

What I'm interested in is what are they looking for in an OC?  A coffee fetcher or someone to run the offense?

8 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

DUDE................. Listen to me..................... DORSEY IS A COFFEE FETCHER....................... HE IS PHIL SEWAGE..................HE IS MIKE HOLMGREN....................

THIS GUY MUST BE FIRED>.................... NOW..................................

WTF is the value of a new FO boss, if he has to do what Haslam tells him? DORSEY.................Here on forever to be called DORKEY............... is not here to draw a sword. He is not here to save this franchise. He is here to still the waters, to distract the fans. He is giong to sit on his asss, let Haslom continue to play football genius, collect his fat salary, and in 2 or 3 years, deliver the " We made a lot of progress, but we didn't get it done" speech.

THe 2018 Browns will not win 4 games.

I had hopes when I first heard Dorsey's name. He has some pretty good bona fides in the football world. It's looking more and more like SSDD. Haslam wants to call all the shots and puts up the money so he can. 4 wins? Haven't seen that since pets first season. Two wins unless the hillbilly bows out.

I think Hue believed he could do it, and now realizes he has to change in order to make it work. He knows he's on a short leash and he had to do SOMETHING different, and I believe this would be a good change for us. 

I think it’s more of a “find an OC with a compatible offense to call Hue’s plays”, which isn’t a bad thing. Scheme consistency has been harped on by JT recently, getting another playbook in here would set back the young players another year. 

Hue’s philosophy and plays aren’t bad when schemed and called correctly. The problem is the playcalling overall was way too simplified because Hue’s in over his head doing two jobs. 

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I think Hue believed he could do it, and now realizes he has to change in order to make it work. He knows he's on a short leash and he had to do SOMETHING different, and I believe this would be a good change for us. 

I tend to agree more with Ghoolie (God, did I say that?:lol:). The OC hire will be just as meaningful as the GM hire. The real fight to watch this season will be over whether they serve Starbucks or Kona Coast because neither will be doing any other real job.

EDIT: Back to draft fantasies because Browns fantasies are discouraging (other than the cheerleader thread).

15 hours ago, Orion said:

Is it the owner's idea?

Is it Hue's idea? 

We are looking for an OC because Hue sucked swamp water at play calling for 2 years now.... and because he is incapable of managing both jobs...which is clear to perhaps everyone but him.  And because I suspect it was a condition of his continued employment to do so.  Perhaps prodded by Dorsey....or perhaps Jimmy is not blind and can see what Hue has been doing for 2 years.....sucking swamp water as a play caller...as both an OC and a HC.  Yet....Jimmy didn't do what he should do...fire Hue. So, in giving him another chance, he as least put conditions on his continued employment.     (not that I think it will do him a lot of good......if he goes 3 games below .500 at any point next year...his butt is grass)

4 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Don't be a jackoff. Hue is a jackoff. IS that who you want to hang out with? They guy doesn't have a clue. He has been given a scapegoat, an excuse, and so like all those before him, he will take the free ride and satisfy idiot fans by saying ... NOW.....NOW I got it right. We had to get through the other schidt I did. Yeah, I din't know what I was doing then, BUT BTU BUT................. BUT NOW? Yeah, I am your guy.

Dorkey needs to be fired. This is more of the same BS.

They need an OC because Hue tries to be:

1)  Head Coach;

2)  OC;

3)  QB mentor and whisperer.

As a result, he does all of those jobs poorly and that results in him being unable to do simple **** like manage the clock, make challenges, get plays in on time, etc.  The reasons are quite simple (much like those who don't see the need).

...seems to be a substantial amount of hate for Hue....

It seemed to me that Hue learned a little bit from 2016's finale with Pittsburgh and the bubble screen on the goal line.  Against the Vikings this year, from close to the goal line, he pounded it into the end zone.  I remember yelling out, "Now THAT'S how you do it!  You play TACKLE FOOTBALL!  No buble screens"  - I said it, you can ask my friend when you get to heaven. He was sitting right next to me.

Ya know who I'd like to see them hire?  And let do the play calling with HIS designed offense?  DeFilippo.  He got a season out of Gary Barnidge that nobody else ever got.  We 'supposedly' have a couple of TE's.  I'd love to see what he could do with them.  -  These old schoolers that they're talking too...they wanna try to run the ball to set up the pass.  I want a young guy like a Josh McDaniels, a Sean McVay, (or a DeFlippo) who understands today's game and how the Patriots are the model.  - IMO, you only go that 'power running' route if you don't HAVE the QB and a minimum of receiver talent.  

The Patriots, they keep playing (they're style of) football all game long.  They don't stop when they get a lead and play 'run the clock with pounding the run'.  Nope, they keep playing their game until it's time to take a knee.  Pass you to death and sprinkle gut punches with the run here and there.  Keep the momentum going.  Don't get bogged down playing not to lose.  That's HOW you lose.

Joe Banner had it right, "Today's NFL is Pass and Rush the Passer."

2 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

We passed on 61% of plays last year. New England passed on 58%.

And one is the odds on SB favorite and the other won -0- games, go figure? 

• I used to be a big X & O's and numbers guy about BROWNS and other football, I think my brain finally melted down sometime this season. :lol:

34 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

And one is the odds on SB favorite and the other won -0- games, go figure? 

• I used to be a big X & O's and numbers guy about BROWNS and other football, I think my brain finally melted down sometime this season. :lol:

Of the top 16 teams in passing %, the only ones that are playoff teams are Pittsburgh, Kansas City and New England...and they are 10th, 11th, and 16th respectively.

It could be that maybe, just maybe, this whole “running game” might be important.

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I tend to agree more with Ghoolie (God, did I say that?:lol:). The OC hire will be just as meaningful as the GM hire. The real fight to watch this season will be over whether they serve Starbucks or Kona Coast because neither will be doing any other real job.

EDIT: Back to draft fantasies because Browns fantasies are discouraging (other than the cheerleader thread).

Do we know whether or not the new OC will be calling plays, or is that a stupid question? Hence, OC not doing real work? 

9 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Of the top 16 teams in passing %, the only ones that are playoff teams are Pittsburgh, Kansas City and New England...and they are 10th, 11th, and 16th respectively.

It could be that maybe, just maybe, this whole “running game” might be important.

Or maybe they are generally ahead and just running out the clock....meanwhile the losing (worse) teams are chucking up the ball in desperation and during "garbage time" racking up bigger passing numbers.....like the Cleveland Browns. Eh?

1 hour ago, jiggins7919 said:

Do we know whether or not the new OC will be calling plays, or is that a stupid question? Hence, OC not doing real work? 

That is my guess based on Hue's apparent ego problem and a need to control. If he had realized how poorly he was doing that was leading to 0-16 he would have addressed it during the season. The excuse of not wanting someone else to take the blame besides himself just does not hold water for me. If you're drowning you need to find lifelines or you just go down. That is what is happening to this stubborn fool. Adding an OC will not cure the problem that he is too blind to see, but is obvious to even the least educated fan. He is a poor playcaller in the redzone and is a horrible game & clock manager. And take away that red flag. All it does is lose timeouts that he tends to squander anyway.

10 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

Do we know whether or not the new OC will be calling plays? 

Therein lies the question.

My guess, if he can get away with getting a puppet OC where he can still call the plays.....he'll go that route.

3 hours ago, Orion said:

Therein lies the question.

My guess, if he can get away with getting a puppet OC where he can still call the plays.....he'll go that route.

The theory now is that management is going to hire an OC with a ton of head coaching experience, and then basically promote that guy as our new coach when/if Hue struggles. The last few names we've heard being kicked around all have a crap-ton of head coaching and OC'ing experience, and we'd probably be happy to have any of them. 

Now, I'm not a conspiracy guy like many around here, and I'm not so sure Hue is going anywhere. People need to realize that he made a bunch of mistakes, but he hasn't exactly been an embarrassment either. We started a 21 year old qb, we had some bad injuries, and let's not pretend Hue had the benefit of a great defense. The players like the guy, he's going to another draft full of high picks, and we might even have a legit all star at WR. I'm not trying to make excuses for Hue, and I know 0-16 is beyond reprehensible, but we're going to look different in 2018. Laugh at me all you want, and I won't blame you for being pissed off, but right now I'm feeling like we've got something coming up that will shock people. Starting with a QB, and I don't think we'll stop there. 

On 1/17/2018 at 6:53 AM, jiggins7919 said:

A number of HCs have OCs, but retain playcalling... O'Brien in HOU, Reid in KC and McCarthy in GB spring to mind.

There are examples of DCs who don't call the D as well.

Point being there is "real work" for Coordinators to do besides call plays on gameday... if the HC empowers them to do that work. Assembling game plans, running practices and the Offense's "room" are among them.

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

A number of HCs have OCs, but retain playcalling... O'Brien in HOU, Reid in KC and McCarthy in GB spring to mind.

There are examples of DCs who don't call the D as well.

Point being there is "real work" for Coordinators to do besides call plays on gameday... if the HC empowers them to do that work. Assembling game plans, running practices and the Offense's "room" are among them.

But...WE need an OC that calls plays......and assembles a game plan...and runs practices...and etc. etc.   We need Hue to just be a coffee fetcher.

Fair to say?

Archived