THE BROWNS BOARD

Pirates trade McCutchen to SF

mjp28

The Pittsburgh Pirates took a definitive step in their rebuild Monday, agreeing to trade former National League MVP Andrew McCutchen to the San Francisco Giants, a source told ESPN, confirming multiple reports.

It is not immediately clear what Pittsburgh will receive in exchange for McCutchen, a five-time All-Star outfielder who helped revitalize the Pirates franchise and led the club to three consecutive postseason appearances from 2013 to 2015.

McCutchen tweeted a goodbye to Pittsburgh on Monday.

Pittsburgh.My Home.My Fans.My City. The placed that raised me and helped mold me into the man I am today. You will 4ever be in my heart.A tip of the cap to all who have been on this journey with me. With Love and respect,
Cutch

The Athletic was first to report the deal, which would be the second major trade this offseason for both teams. The trade is pending the completion of a physical, according to reports.

The trade marks the end of an era for the Pirates, who dealt ace Gerrit Cole to Houston two days ago but signaled the start of their rebuild with the trade of McCutchen, one of the franchise's most accomplished and popular players.

McCutchen, 31, would become the latest veteran star to join the Giants, who already landed three-time All-Star third baseman Evan Longoria in a trade last month with the Tampa Bay Rays.

McCutchen is entering the final year of his contract and is slated to make $14.5 million in 2018.

The Giants, looking to bounce back from a 98-loss season and last-place finish in 2017, hope McCutchen will bolster an outfield that lacks proven veteran depth beyond Hunter Pence.

Pence welcomed McCutchen to the Giants in a tweet Monday.

OFFICIAL: The Pirates today acquired pitcher Kyle Crick, minor league OF Bryan Reynolds and $500,000 in international bonus pool space from the San Francisco Giants in exchange for Andrew McCutchen and cash considerations.

McCutchen is, of course, not the first former MVP to make the move from Pittsburgh to San Francisco. Barry Bonds left the Pirates to join the Giants as a free agent way back in 1993. 

Earlier this offseason the Giants were in on Giancarlo Stanton -- they agreed to a trade with the Miami Marlins only to have Stanton veto it with his no-trade clause -- so it was no secret they wanted to upgrade their outfield. In fact, prior to the McCutchen deal, FanGraphs projected San Francisco to have the worst outfield in baseball.........

McCutchen was one of several Pirates players who figured to be on the move in the wake of the Cole trade. He had been on the trade block since last offseason, and the Giants had been interested in him for weeks.

In addition to McCutchen, the Giants have also added Evan Longoriathis offseason, so they've acquired two players who were the faces of their old franchise. McCutchen in the outfield and Longoria at third improves two major weaknesses. Giants skipper Bruce Bochy could trot out a lineup that looks something like this now:

1. 2B Joe Panik
  2. CF Andrew McCutchen
  3. C Buster Posey
  4. 3B Evan Longoria
  5. 1B Brandon Belt
  6. RF Hunter Pence
  7. SS Brandon Crawford
  8. LF TBD
  9. Pitcher

If the Giants do not acquire another outfielder, McCutchen will join some combination of Pence, Gorkys Hernandez, Mac Williamson, Jarrett Parker, and Steven Duggar in the outfield.

7 hours ago, syd said:

pit fans must be pissed

They have a petition going now about 46,000 (+/-) signatures to have the owner sell the team, I believe that it started before the McCutchen trade, still they're dumping salary......I heard that they picked up a big dollar pitcher today.

14 hours ago, mjp28 said:

They have a petition going now about 46,000 (+/-) signatures to have the owner sell the team, I believe that it started before the McCutchen trade, still they're dumping salary......I heard that they picked up a big dollar pitcher today.

last time i went to a pirates game bonds was on the team,maybe Cuban will buy em and move em to cuba

5 hours ago, syd said:

last time i went to a pirates game bonds was on the team,maybe Cuban will buy em and move em to cuba

Just to review the Pirate's postseason successes, the fans were pretty pumped in 2013:

Year Round Opponent Result
1903 World Series Boston Americans Lost, 3-5
1909 World Series Detroit Tigers Won, 4-3
1925 World Series Washington Senators Won, 4-3
1927 World Series New York Yankees Lost, 0-4
1960 World Series New York Yankees Won, 4-3
1970 NL Championship Series Cincinnati Reds Lost, 0-3
1971 NL Championship Series San Francisco Giants Won, 3-1
  World Series Baltimore Orioles Won, 4-3
1972 NL Championship Series Cincinnati Reds Lost, 2-3
1974 NL Championship Series Los Angeles Dodgers Lost, 1-3
1975 NL Championship Series Cincinnati Reds Lost, 0-3
1979 NL Championship Series Cincinnati Reds Won, 3-0
  World Series Baltimore Orioles Won, 4-3
1990 NL Championship Series Cincinnati Reds Lost, 2-4
1991 NL Championship Series Atlanta Braves Lost, 3-4
1992 NL Championship Series Atlanta Braves Lost, 3-4
2013 NL Wild Card Cincinnati Reds Won Game, 6-2
  NL Division Series St. Louis Cardinals Lost, 2-3
2014 NL Wild Card San Francisco Giants Lost Game, 8-0
2015 NL Wild Card Chicago Cubs Lost Game, 4-0

On 1/18/2018 at 6:01 PM, syd said:

pit fans must be pissed

It's funny to listen to Pirate fans - they have the same complaints as Indians fans... The owner is cheap, all they are is a farm system to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc...

Then again, you couldn't find a Pirates fan five or so years ago.

On 1/22/2018 at 9:59 PM, Dutch Oven said:

It's funny to listen to Pirate fans - they have the same complaints as Indians fans... The owner is cheap, all they are is a farm system to the Yankees, Red Sox, etc...

Then again, you couldn't find a Pirates fan five or so years ago.

Outside of the 1960's 7th inning WS win and their run in the 1970s with the 1979 WS win their postseason record has been well dismal......but they did win two, "generationally speaking".

I had a friend who was  Bucco fan growing up in the 1960s and saw some games in the 1970s in particular in 1976 when I spent 3 weeks with my former employer USSTEEL one summer in 1976 saw 9 pirate's games and 1 World Team Tennis match, Cleveland vs Pittsburgh naturally Cleveland won in the old Civic Arena next door to the Chatham Center where we stayed which was about 2 blocks from the USS 64 story main office where we went for additional management training....all expenses paid, what a summer.

Yes Cleveland and Pittsburgh are similar in many ways  I liked downtown Pittsburgh much better, but the Indians history is deeper "generationally speaking".

Archived