THE BROWNS BOARD

Should the Browns be looking at another TE?

calfoxwc

Njoku is going to be outstanding, but what if he gets injured down the line? Maybe find this guy

in the second or third round? With 3 picks in the second round, would a top TE fit be a good idea?

• 12/30/17: Goedert was a dangerous receiving threat the past two seasons for South Dakota State. The senior amassed 72 receptions for 1,111 yards and seven touchdowns in 2017. He put up even better production as a junior with 92 receptions for 1,293 yards and 11 touchdowns. Goedert has good size and athletic ability. He could help himself with a big week at the Senior Bowl.
  • Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.php#KlCvx6Xfxk4ky3tS.99

1 hour ago, Ibleedbrown said:

I think they need a primarily blocking TE before they need another pass catching TE. One that does both well is ideal of course, but how many times do those come around? 

Oh that guy from Ark. would have done nicely. Another Henry twin I wanted here.

1 hour ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Oh that guy from Ark. would have done nicely. Another Henry twin I wanted here.

I think Telfer was supposed to be that guy. Not sure he had a great season though. Actually, none of the TEs received great PFF grades for the year, but they're all young and hopefully can improve. I for one think the ceiling is highest for Njoku, but that's not exactly an outside the box thought.

Nonetheless l would put a mauling TE as something to address in the draft and l think those can be had in later rounds.

You can add another, but you aren't going to carry 4 TEs on the 53-man.

Telfer is our dual TE at present, but Njoku is expected to develop blocking skill. Devalve? Not so much, but that's fine...

Hard for me to see adding even a Day Three prospect this Draft. An UDFA for the PS? Absolutely...

58 minutes ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Dorsey just signed TE Gavin Escobar from the Cowboys.

FWIW, he was a 2nd rd pick in 2013

Tour called it. PS player with a chance to get on the roster

Second round pick who could only get on a Practice Squad in 5 years since being drafted?    What's wrong with him?

2 hours ago, LionOfBuddha said:

Dorsey just signed TE Gavin Escobar from the Cowboys.

FWIW, he was a 2nd rd pick in 2013

Tour called it. PS player with a chance to get on the roster

I liked him during the draft... he hasnt done much yet in the NFL. Maybe he's a "late bloomer".

3 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Second round pick who could only get on a Practice Squad in 5 years since being drafted?    What's wrong with him?

He did not just play on the PS. He has been in almost every Dallas game from 2013-2016. Actually has 8 TDs which is more than we can say for all for our TEs the last two seasons isn't  it?

2 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

He did not just play on the PS. He has been in almost every Dallas game from 2013-2016. Actually has 8 TDs which is more than we can say for all for our TEs the last two seasons isn't  it?

If he has been around that long and played that much I would not think he would be PS eligible.

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

"You know, a lot of people go to college for eight years!"

"Yeah, they are called doctors."

20 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Not sure that's on our TEs.

Per wiki he was drafted by the 'Boys because they were disappointed with Martellus Bennett among other TEs. Turned out he could not win playing time over even lesser TEs. Most of his appearances were on STs.

Not feelin' this one... but hey... "Football guy". ;)

1 minute ago, Tour2ma said:

Per wiki he was drafted by the 'Boys because they were disappointed with Martellus Bennett among other TEs. Turned out he could not win playing time over even lesser TEs. Most of his appearances were on STs.

Very likely a camp body. Will be surprised if he makes it through training camp. Njoku/Devalve/Telfer are very likely safe.

I would like to see a late rounder or a UDFA with some blocking skills brought in to compete for a spot.

28 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Maybe a veteran to be used on STs.....something we were missing this past season.  If he can play STs...and he is like on the bottom 3 of the roster...he could still help there.

43 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

44 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

News flash he played behind Jason Whitten who may have been to a few pro bowls

Yet blocking is reportedly one of Escobar's weaknesses...

On 1/16/2018 at 2:52 PM, 7moses7 said:

News flash he played behind Jason Whitten who may have been to a few pro bowls

News flash... Escobar wasn't even 2nd string.

On 1/14/2018 at 10:59 AM, calfoxwc said:

Njoku is going to be outstanding, but what if he gets injured down the line? Maybe find this guy

in the second or third round? With 3 picks in the second round, would a top TE fit be a good idea?

• 12/30/17: Goedert was a dangerous receiving threat the past two seasons for South Dakota State. The senior amassed 72 receptions for 1,111 yards and seven touchdowns in 2017. He put up even better production as a junior with 92 receptions for 1,293 yards and 11 touchdowns. Goedert has good size and athletic ability. He could help himself with a big week at the Senior Bowl.
  • Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018TE.php#KlCvx6Xfxk4ky3tS.99

I'd say in the 4th round, look for a TE.  We have far too many needs to pick a TE any sooner.  

5 minutes ago, dawg2fan said:

I'd say in the 4th round, look for a TE.  We have far too many needs to pick a TE any sooner.  

Hopefully both Njoku and DeValve improve to make taking a TE superfluous.   If you need a blocking TE....I suspect a decent one can be had in free agency.

But I don't know....the Browns may still like Telfer.   He is their candidate for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award...and that actually means a lot to NFL teams I think.

ERRR, actually, I guess they just did that with the signing of Escobar.  Browns may be done at the TE spot.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Hopefully both Njoku and DeValve improve to make taking a TE superfluous.   If you need a blocking TE....I suspect a decent one can be had in free agency.

But I don't know....the Browns may still like Telfer.   He is their candidate for the Walter Payton Man of the Year award...and that actually means a lot to NFL teams I think.

ERRR, actually, I guess they just did that with the signing of Escobar.  Browns may be done at the TE spot.

I think Telfer might be done.  But Njuko and Devalve are up and coming.  2nd year for Njuko and 3rd year for Devalve.  I expect a lot from these guys.  

Archived