THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Draft Miss

Dutch Oven

Since the Draft will be a nonstop topic for the next 3+ months, I'd like to know what player in a past draft did you absolutely love, who ended up being a NFL disappointment.

Mine? OT Robert Gallery, Iowa. I loved this guy, probably watched half of his games his last season for the Hawkeyes. He dominated, just mauled guys. The Browns won a season finale vs Cincinnati that knocked us out of the Robert Gallery sweepstakes (I think Lee Suggs ran for like 200 yards?) and I was crushed. Gallery had a decent career, I guess, but wasn't even in the same time zone as Joe Thomas as a LT. (In fact, I think Gallery had to be moved to OG)

I also had a rager for LB Aaron Curry from Vanderbilt, who was a pretty big disappointment.

3 minutes ago, LBC mike said:

My buddy is a raider fan and thinks gallery was a bust pick .

He was so damn good at Iowa. I don't know if I've ever wanted the Browns to draft someone as much as I wanted him. In comparison, I thought Joe Thomas at Wisconsin was "solid". :lol:

Another guy I wanted the Browns to take, that amounted to not much, was Ohio State LB Bobby Carpenter. I thought he was going to be a stud in the NFL. Not so much.

2 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Mo Claiborne.

A guy from the board I came from (who fancies himself to this day as a 'draft guru') wanted this guy soooooooooooo bad, and would never admit that he wasn't that good.

Same guy loved him some Mingo.

Apparently he needs to stay away from LSU players.

Didn't Robert Gallery end up in Oakland?

Off the top of my head Andrus Peat may be my biggest whiff... certainly is one of my most recent. Thought he was a plug-n-play LT for a decade. Pretty sure I had him as my top OL the year he came out. NO drafted him. He's now playing OG and doing reasonably well there and moves outside if an OT goes down.

Close second... actually may be #1... would be Xavier Su'a-Filo who I gave a 1st round grade and included in my annual Browns mock at #26 overall. Has not been anywhere near great in his career in HOU.

Just now, Tour2ma said:

Off the top of my head Andrus Peat may be my biggest whiff... certainly is one of my most recent. Thought he was a plug-n-play LT for a decade. Pretty sure I had him as my top OL the year he came out. NO drafted him. He's now playing OG and doing reasonably well there and moves outside if an OT goes down.

Close second... actually may be #1... would be Xavier Su'a-Filo who I gave a 1st round grade and included in my annual Browns mock at #26 overall. Has not been anywhere near great in his career in HOU.

Funny you say that because I read this board during that 14' draft before joining and saying the same.   Kid looked great at UCLA and I was all over him late 1st early 2nd.

8 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Yep, drafted #2 overall in the '04 Draft, played there through the 2010 season. Played in Seattle for the 2011 season, signed with New England in 2012 but retired during training camp.

Ended up being a decent guard, but never lived up to the hype surrounding him as he entered the league.

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I also had a rager for LB Aaron Curry from Vanderbilt, who was a pretty big disappointment.

I also thought Curry was going to be a beast...swing and a miss (I believe he went to Wake Forest).

15 minutes ago, Canton Dawg said:

I also thought Curry was going to be a beast...swing and a miss (I believe he went to Wake Forest).

Oh yes he did. I mixed up my black and gold southern colleges!

Pork Chop Womack.

I was going to do thread comparing my favorite prospect every year compared to who the Browns took ... but it would be too brutal towards the Browns.

I don't think they've ever outdrafted me. Not bragging, I'm just a dude ... just shows how remarkably bad the Browns have been at this.

Zombo

Putting Round 1 as a prime time disaster and dragging it out for two more days! 

Put it back on Saturday and Sunday on ESPN for us real football junkies the way the Lord intended it. ;)

.......and while we're at it get rid of the NFL Thursday night games.

I was all in on Trent Richardson. I wasn’t on the Board then, but I bought into the hype of the “next AP”.  The Brandon Weeden Pick was the gut punch that ruined my night. 

Edit: I also thought Sammy Watkins would be a rare talent in the league. He isn’t a bust, but he is nowhere near what I expected him to be.  

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

Since we're mentioning OSU guys, my contribution- "Big Daddy" Dan Wilkinson. Absolutely dominant in college. Turned into Big Dud-dy in the pros...   

Big daddy? 

fh2ikvkfzvxr.jpg

16 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Since the Draft will be a nonstop topic for the next 3+ months, I'd like to know what player in a past draft did you absolutely love, who ended up being a NFL disappointment.

Mine? OT Robert Gallery, Iowa. I loved this guy, probably watched half of his games his last season for the Hawkeyes. He dominated, just mauled guys. The Browns won a season finale vs Cincinnati that knocked us out of the Robert Gallery sweepstakes (I think Lee Suggs ran for like 200 yards?) and I was crushed. Gallery had a decent career, I guess, but wasn't even in the same time zone as Joe Thomas as a LT. (In fact, I think Gallery had to be moved to OG)

You should have made this thread more challenging and stipulate players "other than Browns" because we all know who they are and there were just too many of them.

Touchdown Tommy Vardell, another Brown.

Ryan Leaf.

1 hour ago, StinkHole said:

You should have made this thread more challenging and stipulate players "other than Browns" because we all know who they are and there were just too many of them.

Somewhat.

A lot of Browns players taken high I didn't care for the second they were drafted... Gerard Warren, Johnny Manziel, Brandon Weeden, Barkevious Mingo were all guys that I had little to no faith in.

This is a thread about players we all really liked going into the Draft, who turned out to be duds to some level.

A few Browns:

1. Don Rogers.  Would have been a leader with the Dawgs....to go along with Dixon and Minniefield.  Had E-Rock Turner talent.  Disappointing of course that he died tragically.

2.  Tom Cousineau.....Browns did not draft him...but traded draft picks for his rights.  Despite some skills, he just was not tough enough to play MLB in the NFL.   

3. Mike Phipps.   #3 overall pick who we thought could rival Terry Bradshaw...the #1 pick the same year.  Had similar attributes.  Strong arm, strong body.    But who knew that it would be the guy that acted dumb that was the smart one and the guy that acted smart that would be the dumb one. 

Non-Browns: Mostly due to being an Ohio St. fan:

A. Art Schlichter.  Who knows if he had any talent really.....his lack of humanity did him in. 

B. Jim Stillwagon.   Outland Trophy winner, 3 time all american.   Thought he would be a Butkus like character...but not quite good enough.  He did go to Canada and had a fairly successful career at that level. 

C. Andy Katzenmoyer.   Belief was that he would be a Chris Spielman, Mike Singletary....tough MLB.  And he may have been that....but neck injuries derailed his career.   Sort of a Ryan Shazier situation.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Wow... you were all over Phipps coming out of Purdue? Brave admission...

Yeah in 1970 when he was first drafted. Then he took the field and you know the story thereYeah in 1970 when he was first drafted. Then he took the field and you know the story there

Archived