THE BROWNS BOARD

Anthony Miller - A Potential Gem for Round 2 or 3

Flugel

As much as I would like bigger framed guys (6'1"+) for our bare cupboard at WR - Memphis' Anthony Miller made me drool like a Gerber Baby Food model both times I saw him.  All I kept saying was who the flock of seagulls is that?  Good Lord!  UCLA is still chasing him as we speak.  He may be very tempting for one of our 2nd round picks...  Then again, this comes from the same hollow dome that thought Breshad Perriman would have been a nice 2nd round pick before he also fooled Ozzie Newsome into blowing a 1st round pick on him.

The only thing I don't like is he has the same 5'11" 190 lb body frame Edward Scissorhands-Coleman has.  Then again, Antonio Brown has the very same frame and it hasn't exactly killed him.  I'll link up his stats here for yuz:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/anthony-miller-6.html

https://247sports.com/ContentGallery/Top-wide-receiver-prospects-for-the-Chicago-Bears-to-consider-in-2018-111918070/2

I imagined Kirk to be another antonio brown - hope not, unless we draft him. Maybe Miller is more like that.

Anthony Miller - Freaking 95 catches last season? wow.

Flugel, like you said, he's 5'11 which is my biggest concern.  We all thought Coleman was going to be a great receiver.  Antonio Brown type receiver seldom comes around.  We could draft him late in the 2nd round, but I would still have my concerns. We need receivers with size, no more Colemans. 

Odell Beckham

Jarvis Landry 

Emanuel Sanders 

T.Y. Hilton

Stephon Diggs

Brandon Cooks

Doug Baldwin

Golden Tate

Tyreek Hill

There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. You don't want all small guys but if they can play it doesn't matter

4 hours ago, Flugel said:

As much as I would like bigger framed guys (6'1"+) for our bare cupboard at WR - Memphis' Anthony Miller made me drool like a Gerber Baby Food model both times I saw him.  All I kept saying was who the flock of seagulls is that?  Good Lord!  UCLA is still chasing him as we speak.  He may be very tempting for one of our 2nd round picks...  Then again, this comes from the same hollow dome that thought Breshad Perriman would have been a nice 2nd round pick before he also fooled Ozzie Newsome into blowing a 1st round pick on him.

The only thing I don't like is he has the same 5'11" 190 lb body frame Edward Scissorhands-Coleman has.  Then again, Antonio Brown has the very same frame and it hasn't exactly killed him.  I'll link up his stats here for yuz:

Impressive stuff online regarding this kid. Has been compared favorably to Anthony Brown. Miller will be an interesting player to watch at the Senior Bowl, as long as he is able to play.

Mike

3 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Flugel, like you said, he's 5'11 which is my biggest concern.  We all thought Coleman was going to be a great receiver.  Antonio Brown type receiver seldom comes around.  We could draft him late in the 2nd round, but I would still have my concerns. We need receivers with size, no more Colemans. 

Oh no we all did NOT! Coleman had the "dropsies" in college. I cursed that pick. I'll celebrate when he's gone.

Mike

if Cortland Sutton shows elusive route running and quickness more than he's given credit for, ..to get open for the NFL, at the combine.

I can see the Browns drafting him with the #4 pick. But that is where Minkah is generally considered the top pick..

4 hours ago, syd said:

That has to be one of the funniest things i have ever read

hey how bout if kizer was accurate and didn't throw picks

Or if Hue could manage the clock and call plays effectively.

or if Haslam could hire a coach and ditch a chromosome. 

11 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Listed as 6'1 and looks to be about that.  

Wouldn't call that "smaller size".

Watching him in the title game, he looked smallish to me. (Like 5'11", 190lbs smallish, not Bad Santa elf small)

I like him, but I guess I'm old-fashioned when I prefer WRs in the discussion as a top half of the 1st round to be physical specimens. Ridley to me isn't physically imposing, but neither is Antonio Brown, so it's not the end all.

9 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Odell Beckham--now have his coach

Jarvis Landry 

Emanuel Sanders 

T.Y. Hilton

Stephon Diggs

Brandon Cooks

Doug Baldwin

Golden Tate

Tyreek Hill--Dorsey drafted in 5th round(his highest ever drafted WR in KC was Chris Conley in 3rd) 

There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. 

see this list..all different size ranges. We have that. What we don't have is their Route Running Ability to get open. Physical Guys that will look a DB square in his eyes & break his ankles with his feet at top speed. Ju Ju Schuster was the guy last season that most scouts tagged as the best Route Runner with Down Field blocking Ability..for once they were right..At remaining bowls & combine that's the guy we need to hear about & should draft 2 of them..     

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

....  sub-buzz-20355-1479754896-19.png?downsiz

now what'ya thinking..LMAO!

17 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Watching him in the title game, he looked smallish to me. (Like 5'11", 190lbs smallish, not Bad Santa elf small)

I like him, but I guess I'm old-fashioned when I prefer WRs in the discussion as a top half of the 1st round to be physical specimens. Ridley to me isn't physically imposing, but neither is Antonio Brown, so it's not the end all.

I need my wide receivers to catch.  Braylon & Little were "physical specimens".  

I'll take a Santonio Holmes over a Derrius Hayward Bay.  

8 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

I need my wide receivers to catch.  Braylon & Little were "physical specimens".  

I'll take a Santonio Holmes over a Derrius Hayward Bay.  

Of course.

But I'm assuming that if a WR is first round worthy, the guy can catch well. How the NFL keeps overlooking this is beyond me. Assuming that first round caliber WRs should be able to catch the ball well, I'd prefer one that is 6'3 and 215lbs over one that is 5'11", 190.

10 hours ago, gumby73 said:

see this list..all different size ranges. We have that. What we don't have is their Route Running Ability to get open. Physical Guys that will look a DB square in his eyes & break his ankles with his feet at top speed. Ju Ju Schuster was the guy last season that most scouts tagged as the best Route Runner with Down Field blocking Ability..for once they were right..At remaining bowls & combine that's the guy we need to hear about & should draft 2 of them..     

now what'ya thinking..LMAO!

I remembered putting Ju Ju as my 12th pick in my mock draft; and that particular idea received a ton of criticism.  At the time of it, I also didn't realize Kessler would regress to being an Ostrich in the pocket so I thought it would be a nice idea to re-establish the chemistry they already enjoyed at USC.

21 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

5’11” doesn’t bother me as long as the guy can catch. The NFL is full of less than 6’ receivers who are legitimate stars. If Coleman could stay healthy and catch the ball no one would care about his height. 

Think about this for a sec.  How many times of (you) complained about our receivers not catching the ball because of taller CBs either batting the ball down or intercepting it?  I think the Browns, Coooks, and other small receivers are just not the norm.

21 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

Odell Beckham

Jarvis Landry 

Emanuel Sanders 

T.Y. Hilton

Stephon Diggs

Brandon Cooks

Doug Baldwin

Golden Tate

Tyreek Hill

There are plenty of wide receivers that 6 ft or shorter in the league. Size at the wide receiver position is way over rated. You don't want all small guys but if they can play it doesn't matter

Nice job with that Louisville.  The BIGGEST thing influencing my preference of bigger/taller targets (in spite of my intrigue for Anthony Miller) is that MANY of our young/inexperienced/retread QBs have struggled to see all of their targets when going through their progressions.  Outside of RB Duke Johnson, we have had more success with taller targets such as Pryor (most receptions/yardage among non-RB in 2016) and Njoku (most TD receptions among non RBs in 2017) while vision and accuracy of passer has been an ongoing nightmare.  Before that in 2015, Barnidge made the Pro Bowl with an impressive reception volume and TD inventory. If that's not enough, when Josh Gordon plays - isn't it pretty obvious who our opponents respect most?  I haven't really seen many smaller WRs/TEs establishing great chemistry with our QBs very often.  Even Taylor Gabriel only had 1 TD reception in 2 years here.  When Flip took over as OC Gabriel's reception volume and yards per catch shrunk a lot. Then Gabriel went to a better team with more time to pass, an MVP QB with Julio Jones commanding the attention of 2 defenders at all times; and he scores 5 or 6 TDs in the same part time participation.   If he stayed in Cleveland without Shannahan - a TD volume of 6 would have taken him about 6 years to git-r-done.  Did he suddenly wake up as a talented WR one day OR did having an accurate QB and a superstar WR easing the matchups of teammates help considerably?  Think about it....

I think we're all open to precise route runners that get open immediately (regardless of height) - especially guys that can catch with their hands instead of their bodies and understand if they are on the line of scrimmage or not. That said, we also have to remember where we are parked with our QB position and why we are parked there. My preference at this time is to help our young/inexperienced QBs track their targets.  If I feel like an exception to that rule has exceptional talent - I'm gonna want me some Anthony Miller or someone very similar.

Dang, I have never heard of Miller before, Flugs...how did you do that? I just don't think Coleman has the heart for the

game. Miller would be an awesome pick.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:54 AM, Flugel said:

Drooling over a Memphis player?  What is it Fluges...miss Tennessee to the point that you are turning into  You Know Who Junior?

:D:P

17 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Listed as 6'1 and looks to be about that.  Wouldn't call that "smaller size".

Yup...

Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

Yup...

Plus it's not just physical height... taller (and heavier) actually works against agility and acceleration.

Slap a pair of arms that are disproportionately long for his height on a 6-footish WR with a 36"+ vertical... and I'm pretty happy.

Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.:D

22 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Or just convert a long armed 6'5" former basketballer with a 37" vertical into a WR. Then you don't worry about the little fleas buzzing around down below them.:D

There are DBs with 37" verticals, too... and they'll be closer to your 6'5 guy than my 6'1 guy... :P

Archived