THE BROWNS BOARD

Annual Draft

SissyBoyFloyd

I sit in front of my TV with a couple of decent prospect lists and cross them out as they get drafted. Usually go back and forth with a couple of networks the first day. I keep my own short list of favorites I hope we find a way to get. Usually never happens (except Garrett).

I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

I'm working on my short list for this year. Been thinking how impressive Georgia's "other" back Sony Michel was in the playoffs. Chubb did not have the speed I had anticipated and it will show in the combine. I'm looking at a couple of the Bama DTs and of course do it all DB Fitzgerald from Bama. My longshot is Christian Kirk with 7 punt/ko returns for his career. We need better than we have in punt/KO returner. Plus speed to stretch a D.

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

My longshot is Christian Kirk with 7 punt/ko returns for his career. We need better than we have in punt/KO returner. Plus speed to stretch a D.

Kirk looks like a can't miss baller..I can't get him pass Ravens nor Bengals (even with Ross) in this draft. AJ can't play forever. Unless we somehow get a future 1st round pick  at #4? It's a long long shot..Kirk will blow up speed drills at combine & no team will get a 2nd shot after Round 1.

When the Draft used to be Saturday/Sunday, some guys from the message board mjp and I came from used to meet up and watch the Saturday festivities. I still remember two of them threatening to jump in the pond behind my place when the Browns drafted Joe Thomas with the 3rd pick overall instead of, wait for it, Brady Quinn. Oh they were soooooo happy when the Browns got him later. So, so happy. :lol: Then two years later one of the guys trying to explain to us (and he would keep it up for YEARS after) how Mangini did a masterful job negotiating the '09 Draft. Used to be a somewhat drunken fest with tons of bad food.

Now it just devolved into a buddy and me with our heads in our hands muttering: "I can't Shmucking believe they just took Johnny Shmucking Football..."

I only watched the 2017 draft. On my own, at late night in Spain, with my family wondering what the hell I was doing. I just watched first 2 rounds, though.

If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

I actually do my own 4 round draft....every team then see if I hit on any ...... might try all 7 rounds this year but that might be a pain.......I watch NFL Network normally...record the other and switch across to see what ESPN say when the Browns pick a player.....

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I wanted Henry, Watson, Prescott, Foster and Tyler Lockett. We have had enough misses on my best picks to turn my stomach nearly every draft.

Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

A couple of years, I took a day's leave, and drove home on Thurs night from the Air Force, and Dad and I watched the draft

over Hamburger Station hamburgers (with all the onions)...back in the old days. Now, I go to a friend's draft party and

plenty of food gets us through all the wondering, guesses and jokes, the first round, and then I watch it at home

with my Wife until we decide to play a video game or cards until the Browns draft again.... With the changes, I believe that

this draft is the key to a dramatic turnaround. They were in a lot of games, a lot of the time. Just....never....won. BIG turnaround.

For the last two years, attending the Brown's sponsored draft party has been the thing. Can't wait for this years draft party/tailgate. Prior to that, information overload in front of my TV.

8 hours ago, Nero said:

If people want to meet up in the Tavern that day, I'm up for it!

That's what we do... all three days.

But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

41 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

That's what we do... all three days.

But by Day 3 the crowd has thinned out considerably.

I don't think I'll stay on Day 3. Thanks for the info!

I host a draft party for a bunch of my buddies. Plenty to eat & drink with a couple Priests, Fr Leo to be somewhat pious & Fr Pat to yell the cuss words none of us have the nerve to say in front of the other Priest. Sadly, Fr Pat will not be with us this year..he's teaching in Ireland for the next 5 months.

I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

Mike

10 hours ago, dawg2fan said:

Who really wanted Dak Prescot when he came into the draft?  He was a 4th round pick and I thought he would be right around that pick, never thought he would start as well as he did.  Obviously, when Zeke was out, his stats fell.  I'm not saying this to take a shot at you, but I can't imagine why anyone would want this guy to come to the Browns.

LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL. He would have gone much higher had he not had a DUI charge the week before the draft (later dismissed).

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL. He would have gone much higher had he not had a DUI charge the week before the draft (later dismissed).

When it became apparent that the Browns weren't trading up for Goff, or taking Wentz, I figured they would get a developmental guy in the mid-rounds. Prescott was the guy I wanted too, and for a split second I thought they took him, the realized it was Cody Kessler. <_<

I never thought he'd be a decent starting QB from Day 1. I thought he'd be a good backup who might develop into a starting-caliber guy in a few seasons.

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

I think this year's menu may be simple...Hebrew Natl Hot Dogs with my homemade coney sauce/Bertman's mustard, my buffalo wings, sausage/cheese dip & chips, along with lots of pretzels, Snyders of Berlin BBQ chips (the BEST!), & just "stuff".

Mike

I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?:rolleyes:

46 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

I think you put in a lb of pepper in the last batch - can I bring ours?:rolleyes:

Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   :P

Mike

1 hour ago, Canton Mike said:

Not a lb, but I ALWAYS fresh grind the pepper & double the amount called for. I use pepper like Emeril uses garlic.  

Sure, you can bring yours...I'll just label it, "Sissy Food"!!!   :P

Mike

lol. You're the fraidy-cat who won't try my groundhog stew or squirrel pie.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Now it just devolved into a buddy and me with our heads in our hands muttering: "I can't Shmucking believe they just took Johnny Shmucking Football..."

I thought the Browns 2017 first round was fine- then Jim Brown announces "Deshone Kizer". It ruined my day...  

I tape both networks, and jump back & forth...   

11 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Well since Mike is a Vietnam Vet, offer him snake soup, duck blood pudding or boiled dog.:lol:

Hey Bill, What WAS that meat the Montagnard Honchos fed us on those wood skewers? I thought it would be rude to ask, but it was always well seasoned, tasty, AND it didn't kill me!  B)

Mike

40 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

Hey Bill, What WAS that meat the Montagnard Honchos fed us on those wood skewers? I thought it would be rude to ask, but it was always well seasoned, tasty, AND it didn't kill me!  B)

Mike

Well let's just say you should be backing Barkley, "Woof woof!":lol:

9 hours ago, hoorta said:

I thought the Browns 2017 first round was fine- then Jim Brown announces "Deshone Kizer". It ruined my day...  

I tape both networks, and jump back & forth...   

Who did you think they were going for rather than kizer? 

I'm new to it all, only saw that clip of jim brown the other day.

33 minutes ago, Claret&Brown said:

Who did you think they were going for rather than kizer? 

I'm new to it all, only saw that clip of jim brown the other day.

LOL, I would have hoped anybody but. It was like, oh hell, let's roll the dice. Players we could have taken? JuJu Smith WR (Steelers) Pat Eflien C (Vikings). PS we were in need of a center as Erving was a disaster. 

22 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

LOL! Tour and I both wanted him. I followed him all the way through his SEC days and thought he was a great player who would adapt well to the NFL.

Yeah... and the thing was if you watched Dak progress over his final three seasons at MSU, then you could not help but see his worth.

He was the easiest darkhorse pick I've made... and not by a small margin... and perhaps not coincidentally the most successful.

I head to my friends house (Patriots fan) and my other mate comes over (Vikings fan) and we get a takeaway and a few beers then place some bets with each other on whos gonna take who as the draft goes along, an enjoyable night. Then I watch round two on Friday night but I love Saturday and the rest of the rounds I sit in front of NFL network all day

Archived