THE BROWNS BOARD

Suppose...the Browns don't use any first round pick on a qb...

calfoxwc

They get a veteran, like Smith or Cousins..and they wait til later to get a

project.

like...Tanner Lee in a later round? (like Brady went in the sixth...)

Let Kizer develop...at least as much as possible... and let the qb develop,

then see what you have. With legit questions on all qb's this year... two immediate all-pro players work

for the Browns? Anybody like that idea?

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/nebraska-quarterback-tanner-lee-declares-for-nfl-draft/article_39b4451e-ebfc-11e7-b644-fbefc89efa70.html

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/12/28/16826826/nebraska-football-tanner-lee-qb-nfl-draft

I like that. I just wish they had a choice of Goff or Wentz. I didn't like Goff, but he could have been the guy, better than

the top two this year.

12 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

project.

then see what you have. With legit questions on all qb's this year... two immediate all-pro players work

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/nebraska-quarterback-tanner-lee-declares-for-nfl-draft/article_39b4451e-ebfc-11e7-b644-fbefc89efa70.html

https://www.cornnation.com/2017/12/28/16826826/nebraska-football-tanner-lee-qb-nfl-draft

It's a good discussion piece Cal. If we get the right vet QB at the right time (could even be McCarron) maybe we consider such a thing. I'd prefer to use the #1 overall on a QB this time around. When you look at all the teams left in the playoffs - the only 2 QBs outside of Brady that went after round 1 was a guy that was drafted at the top of round 2 (Drew Brees) and Case Keenum (who filled in brilliantly for a former 1st rd pick QB Sam Bradford).  If you have the pick of the litter with a limited supply for a big demand for the most important position - I hope our FO takes their perceived best QB of the draft at #1 overall.  That's still going to leave us a pick of the litter for another important position at #4 overall.  Then we have multiple picks in round 2.

I think this draft is going to have some 1st round QBs that succeed.  1 very important variable to that is who they have to throw to.  As "well-duh" as that sounds we're the team drafting Corey Coleman while New Orleans drafts Michael Thomas.  Canton Mike has reminded me of that at least twice a month since it happened and rightfully so.  That's why I have to talk to him on an empty stomach. 

14 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

project.

Well of course some of us LIKE this idea, the difficult part is actually pulling it OFF. I know there was a recent article which stated Cousins would "seriously consider playing for the Browns", but I believe it's just lip service. Cousins is likely to be viewed as the #1 free agent QB, and how many times has the #1 available QB gone to the absolute worst team in the league? Maybe it has happened more than I think, but it doesn't make sense to me. Sure we have money, but other teams will find ways to make enough cap space for a starting QB, they always do. What makes Cousins so unique is his age and his health. He's probably the ONE guy who would allow a team NOT to draft another QB early. Even if we got Alex Smith, you have to think we'd still draft one early because of his advanced age. You could argue that Kizer would enough depth, but that's a big gamble. Sure he's very young, he got a TON of experience, and he possesses the ideal build, but he obviously comes with concerns AND you only get to pick this high in the draft so often (well, for us that's not so true). Just think of the backlash of not drafting a QB early, and then those guys turning into stars. It would be catastrophic. 

As I've said on a dozen threads, Alex Smith makes the most sense to me because we could TRADE for him, and not just hope to pull off a free agent miracle. We'd still have to get a QB early, but it's possible to get Baker Mayfield later in the first if we trade down a bit. The point is we have options, and it's safe to say our QB room is going to look a lot different in 2018. And let's not totally count out Kizer. Something tells me that if we draft a guy early, he won't beat out a determined Kizer anyway. Especially considering we're keeping the same offense. 

You have the most QB deep draft in years, with many prospects looking like good future franchuse quaterbacks, and you have #1 and #4 overall picks.

Also, don't forget how many good QBs we regretted passing last years... And you want to pass this year? 

You guys have to bear in mind that there's so much hype about the quaterbacks in this draft that they are under a bigger scrutiny than any other year, and we focus more on every little thing we don't like about them. 

There aren't going to be that many chances to draft a good QBOTF, or at least we should forget about possible future situations and take our chances NOW that we can and all the odds favor them.

13 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

I like that. I just wish they had a choice of Goff or Wentz. I didn't like Goff, but he could have been the guy, better than

the top two this year.

Didn't all the experts before the draft last year say this years QB's are better?

The only way the Browns don’t take their top QB is if they somehow land Cousins. Kirk wouldn’t sign anything less than a 5 year deal, which would make drafting a QB unnecessary. 

Dorsey knows why he was brought in, and why his predecessors were fired.  Everything comes down to the QB, which is a pass/fail grade. The beauty of having the first overall pick is that the most you have to spend on your top QB is one first round pick, which is relatively cheap when compared with how other teams go about it. 

29 minutes ago, TopDawg31 said:

Didn't all the experts before the draft last year say this years QB's are better?

eh...it's mixed  I think.  The point is Wentz for sure(and Goff too) is better than what these qbs are now projected to be.  Not a single nfl team right now would trade wents/goff for the #1 overall pick in this draft.

10 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

eh...it's mixed  I think.  The point is Wentz for sure(and Goff too) is better than what these qbs are now projected to be.  Not a single nfl team right now would trade wents/goff for the #1 overall pick in this draft.

That’s how it always is, the only reason some people are saying the QB class last year was better than this one is because Watson played well, Mahomes had a good week 17 outing in a meaningless game and Trubisky may reach his Andy dalton ceiling in 3-4 years. None of this year’s prospects have had the chance to prove they can play in the NFL, but once they do, everyone will hindsight the Shmuck out of it like “man, if only we hadn’t passed on Rosen/Darnold/Mayfield/Allen/Rudolph/Jackson last year we would have our savior”

16 minutes ago, Tacosman said:

Hind sight is 20/20 Taco so why would a team thrilled with the results of their investment give that up for the unproven?  Did Goff really straighten out all his critics last year at this time?  I don't think he did if memory serves me right.

19 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

They get a veteran, like Smith or Cousins..and they wait til later to get a project. like...Tanner Lee in a later round? (like Brady went in the sixth...)

Let Kizer develop...at least as much as possible... and let the qb develop, then see what you have.

With legit questions on all qb's this year... two immediate all-pro players work for the Browns? Anybody like that idea?

Good questions... problem with the premise is that Smith and Cousins are too dissimilar to place on either side of that "or" in the premise.

As has been said... IF we land Cousins, then you have a five-year starter on our roster and what you posture is a viable route. Of course the QB in training that I'd want is Benkert... but I don't see Cousins coming here.

Smith on the other hand cannot be viewed as a solution over the same time period. So if it is Smith, the far more viable option IMO, then you go after the best QB you see in this draft. If it takes the overall #1 to be sure you land him, so be it. If that QB is a player other than Rosen, so be it... :)

I don't think that there is a clear cut answer to this question....or dilemma depending on how you look at it. 

When you're coming off of 1-31 or 0-16 plugging in another rookie quarterback is not a fix (beating this dead horse to death). None of the 2018 candidates have the words "franchise or can't miss" tags attached to them. I'm for continuing the team building and not wasting the #1 and 4 picks.

Face it going to 8-8 looks nearly impossible for next year with the schedule they've got ahead of them.

Time to punt (again) and play defense......figuratively speaking.

Another  interesting way to look at this draft do they try to make a super deal to get a quarterback -or- take this amazing 12 pick opportunity to team build for the future? In 2019 I think they have the standard 7 picks.

A ton of NFL Draft capital and some interesting tidbits:

• 2 picks in the Top 5
  • 4 picks in the Top 35
  • 5 picks in the Top 60
  • 7 Picks in the Top 108 (Huge in a deep Draft where Top 100 picks are held in high esteem, Browns own a normal full Drafts of picks by pick #108)
  • 4 sets of picks clustered near each other: 1 & 4, 33 & 35, 60 & 65 and 137 & 145
  • 12 picks overall, though it wouldn't be a shock to see a few dealt for veterans or to move up.

19 hours ago, mjp28 said:

None of the 2018 candidates have the words "franchise or can't miss" tags attached to them.

It's early yet...

With as many as six being talked about as going in Round One, three in the Top Ten and two in the Top Five (or Three)... "franchise level" labels will be coming.

10 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

It's early yet...

With as many as six being talked about as going in Round One, three in the Top Ten and two in the Top Five (or Three)... "franchise level" labels will be coming.

I can see the "best of the class" on two but out-in-out once in a decade or generation franchise picks maybe not.....not that one can't emerge or develop into one.

And yes still 21 days until the Super Bowl, lots of time and combines to go yet.

43 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

I can see the "best of the class" on two but out-in-out once in a decade or generation franchise picks maybe not.....not that one can't emerge or develop into one.

I agree that there are no obvious Decade or generational prospects... we've kinda had the one for this decade, Luck. Wholly different and higher category there in my vernacular than mere "franchise" prospects.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:44 PM, Tour2ma said:

Good questions... problem with the premise is that Smith and Cousins are too dissimilar to place on either side of that "or" in the premise.

As has been said... IF we land Cousins, then you have a five-year starter on our roster and what you posture is a viable route. Of course the QB in training that I'd want is Benkert... but I don't see Cousins coming here.

Smith on the other hand cannot be viewed as a solution over the same time period. So if it is Smith, the far more viable option IMO, then you go after the best QB you see in this draft. If it takes the overall #1 to be sure you land him, so be it. If that QB is a player other than Rosen, so be it... :)

not five years.  no nfl contract is going to be set up so you cant get out reasonably before five years.  Thats simply not the nature of the nfl.

Cousins is going to get a massive deal, but the cap implications and up front money/guarantees will probably make it set up where whoever signs him can reasonably get out of it in 3.  Still a huge risk, because 3 years in the nfl is a hell of a long time.

The most likely scenario is that the browns dont get either cousins or smith, that they drafr a qb #1,and that qb plays very early(likely to start the year or definately by wk 8 or so) and we bring in a lesser name vet and our 3 top qbs are #1 pick(likely rosen), lesser name vet and Kizer.

If only Drew Brees wasn't only 6 ft tall, imagine how good he could be.

On 1/12/2018 at 8:23 PM, calfoxwc said:

project.

Cousins hell yes.  Smith, Hell no.

Archived