THE BROWNS BOARD

Explanations???

Gunz41

Been reading all these threads on here about the upcoming draft and especially the QBs and I am very confused by the answers. There certainly isn't a consensus on the top QB at this point, and a lot of the answers have been there is nobody worth taking with 1 or 4. Then there is the talk about getting a vet to start and draft a QB with the first pick.

Maybe the top guy is Rosen? Maybe Darnold? Maybe Allen? Maybe Baker? What I am not understanding is people saying none are worth the top, but getting a vet and 1 is the answer. 

Yes QB is by far the most important position, no question there. But Cousins, Smith, McCarron all could play for quite a few years. Even if they only had 1 year left, just because you need a QB (or any other position) doesn't mean you take one if you don't think they will be good. It's not like every previous draft for every team that the person who was drafted wasn't thought to be the right pick for that team, just didn't pan out. I can remember every big name player the last few drafts on here that some were for and some against. Manziel, Goff, Wentz, Trubisky, Watson, Zeke, Boss, Mack, etc. 

All the QBs this year could be great, busts, or somewhere in between. But just to draft one because there is a need is wrong, especially if you don't believe in that person. Even more so if a vet is brought in.

If the FO identifies the guy they want, and think can be good, then you surely do that, but just to take someone because of a need (in the future if you get a vet) isn't being smart. It's wasting the pick. 

Not saying who they should take, but if you don't identify the right players then it doesn't matter. Any positions can bust, and QB is the most important, but if you don't see that guy, then you draft best available.

Maybe I am wrong in my thinking and questioning, it has happened before. I just don't get the rationale 

Good post. Good question. It seems to be extremely tough to find the right qb's in the draft. Most college star qb's can't do it in the pros, never get to the NFL to try. Even Bradshaw had a horrible, horrible rookie year starting.

So, teams draft top qb's high, hoping that it works out. Were it not for that, teams would love to take chances on  Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson, etc in the second round, late first. But the rush is on to find that right guy.

I call it qb-demand inflation. Their value in the draft is inflated. But it is what it is - and getting a proven veteran to start for a yearis terrific for even greatly talented qb's, if you have the chance to make it work.

It's a tough league - and drafting players for need doesn't get you the best players, obviously. It's the qb situation that throws it off.

I think the Browns too often have passed on QBs they should have taken. I was very high on Wentz(wasn't high on Goff) and we passed. I was also high on Derek Carr and to lesser extent Jimmy G. We can't continue to ignore the position by simply passing on some and then having to hear about how we passed on another quality QB. Personally I prefer Darnold or Allen right now, as far as a vet goes I am all for getting one, because regardless of which QB we draft, no QB on the roster has won a game. If we can get Alex Smith I am all for it. Kirk Cousins would be great too. McCarron not so much. I think as the combine comes and goes we should have a much better read on the QBs and some of them should separate themselves. BTW I wouldn't advise them to do it, but if the Browns went crazy and drafted a QB at #1 an #4 who could blame them.

29 minutes ago, runyon27 said:

I think the Browns too often have passed on QBs they should have taken. I was very high on Wentz(wasn't high on Goff) and we passed. I was also high on Derek Carr and to lesser extent Jimmy G. We can't continue to ignore the position by simply passing on some and then having to hear about how we passed on another quality QB. Personally I prefer Darnold or Allen right now, as far as a vet goes I am all for getting one, because regardless of which QB we draft, no QB on the roster has won a game. If we can get Alex Smith I am all for it. Kirk Cousins would be great too. McCarron not so much. I think as the combine comes and goes we should have a much better read on the QBs and some of them should separate themselves. BTW I wouldn't advise them to do it, but if the Browns went crazy and drafted a QB at #1 an #4 who could blame them.

But you have a preference. What I am saying is people saying there aren't good choices, but still saying to take one. That makes no sense

If they don't believe in one being " the guy" you definitely don't take him at 1  or 4. This team can't afford a high first round swing and miss. There are several vet options if they aren't comfortable with a first round QB. If they aren't sold on one I'd much rather take Barkley and Fitzpatrick to support a vet. 

38 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

If they don't believe in one being " the guy" you definitely don't take him at 1  or 4. This team can't afford a high first round swing and miss. There are several vet options if they aren't comfortable with a first round QB. If they aren't sold on one I'd much rather take Barkley and Fitzpatrick to support a vet. 

That is what I am saying. Not taking certain players, but don't take someone just to take someone

Archived