THE BROWNS BOARD

Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns

thenew23

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I wonder if we could get foles. He looks pretty legit right now. 

Probably not but I guess we have to see how everything plays out, and in that link:

1. Philadelphia Eagles

Why it could happen: This is all about Wentz's recovery. He tore his ACL in December, roughly nine months before the start of the 2018 season. So, Wentz -- a quarterback who relies on his mobility behind the line of scrimmage -- might not be fully healthy in time for the regular season. Just because Adrian Peterson did it doesn't mean Wentz will be able to. 

11 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I think this was posted earlier in this thread, but it carries more meaning now....

Scot McCloughan on Redskins quarterback Kirk Cousins: ‘I don’t see special’

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2018/01/19/scot-mccloughan-on-redskins-quarterback-kirk-cousins-i-dont-see-special/?utm_term=.131704d49c8c

That headline isn’t indicative of what McCloughan said at all.

Nobody saw "special" when Nick Foles walks into the room... but dude just won the Superbowl against Tom Shmucking Brady! 

Maybe QB isn't the end all be all that many on this board want to try and make it out to be. 

Wentz is sooo good. The Eagles don't win the Superbowl if Wentz doesn't get injured, period. 

It's all about BELIEF and working together as one, trusting each other and fighting for your brothers. 

There is no reason that next season it can't be us.

"It's our turn" is the mentality it is going to take to win. 

Saying we NEED 2 or 3 more years of being competitive and slow progress is NEVER GOING TO WORK- EVER. 

Mentality has to be "NOW OR NEVER"

3 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

I wonder if we could get foles. He looks pretty legit right now. 

Um, sure. Good enough to win a SB on a great team. I'll digress and kick Cal in the a$$ right now- who needs a rocket arm QB to win a SB? (like Allen?) Foles and Brady were tossing up accurate ducks plenty of times. 

47 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Nobody saw "special" when Nick Foles walks into the room... but dude just won the Superbowl against Tom Shmucking Brady! 

Maybe QB isn't the end all be all that many on this board want to try and make it out to be. 

Wentz is sooo good. The Eagles don't win the Superbowl if Wentz doesn't get injured, period. 

It's all about BELIEF and working together as one, trusting each other and fighting for your brothers. 

Saying we NEED 2 or 3 more years of being competitive and slow progress is NEVER GOING TO WORK- EVER. 

You got some of that stuff you're smoking? 0-16 to the SB? 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

Foles= overrated. great backup on a great team. 

Who must have been very lucky to throw so many really great passes throughout this year's playoffs + the SB.

If a player plays great that many times in a row, then you have to give it up for him. It wasn't the team yesterday. The defense collapsed nearly every possession until the end. He did what great QBs do, willed them into score after score after score.

On 2/4/2018 at 10:32 AM, Tour2ma said:

Well... appears we are not expecting to sign Cousins... :)

Scot McCloughan to work for Browns during 2018 draft

The extreme makeover of the Cleveland Browns' scouting department continued Saturday when former Redskins general manager Scot McCloughan joined the organization as a personnel consultant to assist the team in this year's draft, according to league sources.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22316771/ex-washington-redskins-gm-scot-mccloughan-work-cleveland-browns-draft

And, if that's not enough - Washington is now considering franchise tagging Cousins a 3rd time per a scroll I saw on ESPN early this morning.  And why?  They want exchange value on him from the determined team that will want him.  Stay tuned...

21 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Who must have been very lucky to throw so many really great passes throughout this year's playoffs + the SB.

If a player plays great that many times in a row, then you have to give it up for him. It wasn't the team yesterday. The defense collapsed nearly every possession until the end. He did what great QBs do, willed them into score after score after score.

Foles was absolutely marvelous last night. Always seemed in control, and really appeared to be beyond comfortable in that offense. 

Listening to the radio this morning on 92.3

They talked about Foles contract. It is a crazy good deal for any team if the Eagles decided to trade him. 

The Eagles control his contract through next season. Then he is free to opt out. 

However, if they trade him to another team he is locked in for 5 years at a very cheap rate. 

Watching some of those throws he pulled off last night, If I'm Doresy, I'm on the phone offering one of the 2nd rounders today. 

14 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Pederson is an Andy Reid disciple (minus the crumbling under pressure) and Foles has played in that system before. 

Yep, really showed too! I was amazed at how calm and collected he was...during the effing Super Bowl. There was one pass to the intermediate-middle where Foles threaded the ball between 2 or 3 Patriots and delivered an absolute strike for a huge play. He always seemed to know where to go with the ball, and pressure hardly ever rattled him. Big shout out to the Eagles OL...they really shined and helped their QB. Just goes to show that QBs are somewhat reliant on the systems they excel in, and good coaches fit their players to their own strengths, rather than force the coach's ideas on them (in my opinion). I think what really impressed me the most was Foles' accuracy. So many passes weren't just good, they were freaking on the money. 

For those hopeful at possibly getting Foles to start for us, or at least be our "veteran QB", you can forget about it. Wentz has a long recovery ahead, and he'll miss all of OTA's, mini camp, and probably most/all of training camp. Eagles won't give up their backup, no way. 

Back to the Cousins front:

It was all over the scroll this morning that the Redskins ARE actually considering putting the Franchise Tag on Cousins once again....in order to trade him.   They must feel there would be some demand for him even at the what?   34 million per year that he would make under the tag this year? 

I don't know what they would be asking in trade.....but I do NOT think that I would want the Browns to have any part of it. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Back to the Cousins front:

It was all over the scroll this morning that the Redskins ARE actually considering putting the Franchise Tag on Cousins once again....in order to trade him.   They must feel there would be some demand for him even at the what?   34 million per year that he would make under the tag this year? 

I don't know what they would be asking in trade.....but I do NOT think that I would want the Browns to have any part of it. 

Gips, I mentioned that 6-7 posts up in this flow of discussion.;)  That's turning into a War of the Roses-level divorce between Cousins and Washington's FO. 

1 hour ago, Flugel said:

Gips, I mentioned that 6-7 posts up in this flow of discussion.;)  That's turning into a War of the Roses-level divorce between Cousins and Washington's FO. 

So....who is going to turn out to be Richard III and who is going to be Henry Tudor?

4 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

This is just his breakout moment. Foles has been a pretty solid QB for a while. A franchise guy? Maybe not but the browns wouldn't be looking for a franchise QB in a veteran would they? 

Foles played a great game. But watching him and Brady- it goes to show you don't need a Josh Allen arm to play in or win a Super Bowl...  

15 hours ago, PoeticG said:

So we should just face reality and start Hogan.

2 hours ago, DieHardBrownsFan said:

So we should just face reality and start Hogan.

Start Hogan, get Mayfield at #4 to back him up. 

Get Hogan some help, Saquon Barkley would help a lot, then get him another tall WR. 

Hogan is excellent at reading defense and throwing to where only the WR has a chance at the ball. 

He just needs time to develop some chemistry with his guys and with a RB like Barkley we could make the playoffs next season. 

48 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

Start Hogan, get Mayfield at #4 to back him up. 

Get Hogan some help, Saquon Barkley would help a lot, then get him another tall WR. 

Hogan is excellent at reading defense and throwing to where only the WR has a chance at the ball. 

He just needs time to develop some chemistry with his guys and with a RB like Barkley we could make the playoffs next season. 

Why would the Browns use the 4th overall pick in the draft on Baker Mayfield when you've stated over and over that Kevin Hogan is a franchise QB?

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Why would the Browns use the 4th overall pick in the draft on Baker Mayfield when you've stated over and over that Kevin Hogan is a franchise QB?

You keep saying this, so I'll spell it out for you.

A) I think that Kevin Hogan CAN be a franchise QB.

B) The time to find out how good Hogan could be was last year, while Kizer lead us to a winless season. 

C) I happen to like Baker Mayfield he's the best out of all the QBs coming out this year. 

D) It is best to sit a young player while he catches up to the speed of the game. 

E) Is Baker ready to win now? If so then play him. I'll stand by what I said last year- Play the QB that gives you the best chance to win, play the best QB that you have on the roster. Last year Hogan was the best that we had. If we get Baker Mayfield, Hogan being the best may change. However, until he earns it and proves that he should be the starter, you do exactly what I said and start your best QB, that being Kevin Hogan. Actually, I think he may be a free agent so unless we resign him he's not even going to be here. 

F) So, like I said Dutch, draft Mayfield #4 and Barkley #1. Did I make that clear enough for you? 

16 minutes ago, PoeticG said:

You keep saying this, so I'll spell it out for you.

A) I think that Kevin Hogan CAN be a franchise QB.

B) The time to find out how good Hogan could be was last year, while Kizer lead us to a winless season. 

C) I happen to like Baker Mayfield he's the best out of all the QBs coming out this year. 

D) It is best to sit a young player while he catches up to the speed of the game. 

E) Is Baker ready to win now? If so then play him. I'll stand by what I said last year- Play the QB that gives you the best chance to win, play the best QB that you have on the roster. Last year Hogan was the best that we had. If we get Baker Mayfield, Hogan being the best may change. However, until he earns it and proves that he should be the starter, you do exactly what I said and start your best QB, that being Kevin Hogan. Actually, I think he may be a free agent so unless we resign him he's not even going to be here. 

F) So, like I said Dutch, draft Mayfield #4 and Barkley #1. Did I make that clear enough for you? 

No, you said over and over that Kevin Hogan IS a franchise QB. 

Now you say he "can" be one, but you still want the Browns to draft a QB #4 overall. 

You wonder why no one takes you seriously. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

No, you said over and over that Kevin Hogan IS a franchise QB. 

Now you say he "can" be one, but you still want the Browns to draft a QB #4 overall. 

You wonder why no one takes you seriously. 

Laugh-a-trollable 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

That time served us to find how good could be in our team Brady, Brees, Stafford...

Dalton, McCarron, McCown...

JFF, Quinn, a 70 year old retired QB on a wheelchair... 

Everyone shines comparing him to Kizer last year.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:07 AM, hoorta said:

Foles= overrated. great backup on a great team. 

1. So he's "great" and overrated?
  2. What does that tell you about Wentz?

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. So he's "great" and overrated?
  2. What does that tell you about Wentz?

:) I'll go Po on you- he's the greatest, most wonderfullest qb ever. Shoulda listed to me and drafted him...  

14 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

It tells you what I've said all along oh, if it team is firing on all cylinders any decent quarterback can win games. The old cliche about too much blame and too much credit.

WSS

Still, for whatever reason, good QBs do help:

Examples:  without Garrapolo the 49ers win 1 game.  With him they won 5 in a row.

Without Aaron Rodgers the Packers are squadoosh.  with him they are SB contenders.

Archived