Jump to content
thenew23

Cousins would "seriously consider" the Browns

Recommended Posts

If we land cousins, we could trade back with the Giants and get their 1st next year. Then we could trade that pick for the highest bidder of the Broncos and jets and take them for whatever they have. We'd still get a top 3 skill player and a ton players and picks

1. Giants- Rosen

2-Denver- Darnold

3- Indy- Chubb

4- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/Josh Jackson

5- NYJ- Mayfield

6- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/ Josh Jackson

That would be pretty unreal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not a fan of the Cousins option personally...

On 1/11/2018 at 5:06 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

This is just smart business. His agent wants other potential buyers to believe that a team with tons of cap space and needing a QB is in the bidding.

This ^

Kirk... I know I keep you amused, but I feel I'm being used...

On 1/11/2018 at 9:07 AM, thenew23 said:

As far as Smith, I wouldnt trade much for him because the Chiefs will cut him before the $20M cap hit takes effect.

It shouldn't take much as IIRC there's $4mm in dead money at stake for KC. Of course competition for Smith's services will set the final trade price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Louisville Slugger said:

If we land cousins, we could trade back with the Giants and get their 1st next year. Then we could trade that pick for the highest bidder of the Broncos and jets and take them for whatever they have. We'd still get a top 3 skill player and a ton players and picks

1. Giants- Rosen

2-Denver- Darnold

3- Indy- Chubb

4- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/Josh Jackson

5- NYJ- Mayfield

6- CLE- Fitzpatrick/ Barkley/ Josh Jackson

That would be pretty unreal

Sorry if I'm not feeling the Cousins love..... 

Yes, about as unreal as Kansas City fans thinking they can get two first round picks for Alex Smith. Flipping picks with the Giants nets you a second- max. The Giants will have no incentive to trade up- they'll just take the QB we don't. Or they'll know we aren't realistically taking a QB with Kirk on board. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Not a fan of the Cousins option personally...

This ^

Kirk... I know I keep you amused, but I feel I'm being used...

It shouldn't take much as IIRC there's $4mm in dead money at stake for KC. Of course competition for Smith's services will set the final trade price.

I'm still having trouble with cap hit and dead money Tour. Am I right in thinking if KC trades Smith the $20 or so million cap hit goes away, but they're still on the hook for around $4 million in "dead money"?  

But if they just cut him- he's owed the full amount?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'm still having trouble with cap hit and dead money Tour. Am I right in thinking if KC trades Smith the $20 or so million cap hit goes away, but they're still on the hook for around $4 million in "dead money"?  

But if they just cut him- he's owed the full amount?  

Yes, if Alex is traded, his contract is traded and becomes his new team's responsibility... unless otherwise negotiated as part of the trade. We sometimes hear where the team the player is leaving eats part of the contract.

Dead money is all a team owes a player if they cut him prior to June 1st, i.e., it is true, guaranteed money. After June 1st the full amount for that season is guaranteed.

Clear as mud? ;)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Cousins would "seriously consider" an offer from the Browns? Here's my take...

1) Kirk Cousins. Basically a "500 hitter"(8-8, 9-7)...a 30 year old Andy Dalton....Price tag "through the roof"??? Quite frankly, I would go after AJ McCarron LONG BEFORE I would pursue Cousins. AJ will be tons cheaper, was raised by our new QB Coach & knows Hue's system. Should I mention the $ difference & cap flexibility? Obviously, I am NOT a fan of the Cousins option.

2) Alex Smith. Trade for him, then overpay HIM. he has already shown he is a better QB than Cousins, a "team player" who will help develop the young QB we select #1, & will be here long enough to bring the young guy along while taking the Browns to a higher level than Cousins would.

My choice is Smith.

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

So Cousins would "seriously consider" an offer from the Browns. Here's my take...

1) Kirk Cousins. Basically a "500 hitter"(8-8, 9-7)...a 30 year old Andy Dalton....Price tag "through the roof"??? Quite frankly, I would go after AJ McCarron LONG BEFORE I would pursue Cousins. AJ will be tons cheaper, was raised by our new QB Coach & knows Hue's system. Should I mention the $ difference & cap flexibility?

2) Alex Smith. Trade for him, then overpay HIM. he has already shown he is a better QB than Cousins, a "team player" who will help develop the young QB we select #1, & will be here long enough to bring the young guy along while taking the Browns to a higher level than Cousins would.

Mike

 

#2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoorta said:

Sorry if I'm not feeling the Cousins love..... 

Yes, about as unreal as Kansas City fans thinking they can get two first round picks for Alex Smith. Flipping picks with the Giants nets you a second- max. The Giants will have no incentive to trade up- they'll just take the QB we don't. Or they'll know we aren't realistically taking a QB with Kirk on board. 

What's not to like about Cousins( says the guy from kentucky) at worst he's an above average QB. We need to stablize this franchise and he would give is the best opportunity to do so. 

If the Giants fall in love with one of them they will give us whatever we want

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Louisville Slugger said:

1) What's not to like about Cousins( says the guy from kentucky) at worst he's an above average QB. We need to stabilize this franchise and he would give is the best opportunity to do so. 

2) If the Giants fall in love with one of them they will give us whatever we want

I ain't from Kentucky- you have to go at least 50 miles south of Dayton to be considered that, and Louisville? You should know what's north or south of the Ohio River by now.  :)  

So regarding "stabilization" do you want 2-3 years out of Smith, or 5-6 out of Cousins? The stats are equal, that you've ignored. 

1) An above average QB and you want to make him the highest paid QB in the NFL? Been drinking too much of that Kentucky moonshine? I've said it a bunch of times already- one of the guys I regularly discuss football with is an assistant manager at my Friday night hangout- The Pine Club. Happens to be a lifelong and serious Redskins fan- watches all the games, and his opinion is Cousins is overrated, and not worth anywhere near the money he's been commanding. Kirk has one thing going for him- he has the best agent in the biz. His "interest" in the Browns is only to drive up his market value- because he damn well knows the Browns have more available cash than anyone. He's also expressed his interest in remaining with the Redskins. Cousins is a (relatively) short term fix- at absolute top dollar. At the detriment of drafting a guy- who could easily be "the guy" for the next 10-12 years. I'll say this- I'm pushing 70 on the age meter, and I'm not old enough to remember Otto Graham ever playing for the Browns. It's way overdue for the Browns to draft, not back the Brinks up for a 5 year fix. About the time the Browns at the current rate they've been going will be ready to challenge for the Super Bowl- will be same time Cousins is going downhill fast. As Canton Mike just posted- Cousins hasn't shown HOF potential yet with a mediocre W\L record, but some of you want to pay him like Tom Brady +. 

2) No they won't. There's even some chatter if we take Rosen\Darnold they may take Saquon Barkley. They'll be more than happy to sit at #2 (assuming we draft a QB) and take the one we don't want. If we don't take a qb, they have it made in the shade. Go look at the draft value chart- http://walterfootball.com/draftchart.php the Giants second round pick is more than enough to flip picks  with the Browns, even taking into account the "QB premium". 

PS- in that scenario- I make that trade (pun intended) in a New York minute. We get Darnold or Rosen- the top two picks in the second round, with five overall on day two. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was making fun of my owns states reputation for kissing cousins. 

I'm nit saying Cousins is worth the money for any other team but we really need to turn this thing around. We have to get competent quarterback play and if we have to over pay for it so be it. We need a culture change in the worst way

Alex Smith isn't on the same planet. He is on a great team and he is a system guy. I promise he will look like a turd in a browns uniform.

If the Giants think one of the 2 are their guy than they will throw the draft sheet out the window. They'll get in a bidding war with denver5, Jets6 or someone else. well ask for 3 1st round picks like Washington got and well settle for 2 and move back a spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hoorta said:

Here come the excuses- he played on a better team...  

I'm glad you're not Dorsey- because we ARE drafting a QB. The Cousins crowd has their minds made up, not much sense arguing any further. . This is my last thought on Kirk. HIs window of opportunity is going to be a lot shorter than Smith + rookie @ #1 overall. Are you guys assuming that he's going to be an anomaly like Tom Brady and be able to play at a Pro Bowl level for the next 10 years? I sure as hell wouldn't bet on that. Plus- Cousins best season to date has been 9-7.  

My peanut gallery POV is the odds of Cousins winding up in Cleveland are on the level of Chiefs fans dreaming they're going to get two first round picks for Alex Smith. & speaking of- the Redskins (just to make life difficult for the Browns) could slap the non-exclusive franchise tag on Cousins. Sorry guys- we're not giving up two first round picks for Kirk. That would include this years #1 overall. 

Yeah some pimple faced college kid is a much safer pick than a playoff QB....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wargograw said:

Yeah some pimple faced college kid is a much safer pick than a playoff QB....

Ha, go wish and hope your one year wonder can do the same with the Broncos. 7-9 $150 million.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×