THE BROWNS BOARD

Why not Minkah at #1

The Gipper

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

OK. Among those, I'd only take the following non-first rounders: Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Brees, Brady. 5 out of 32 is not a very nice statistic. 

Among first rounders: Stafford, Mariota, Ryan, Newton, Winston (meh), Flacco, BR, Eli, Wentz, Luck. 11 out of 32. 

So it could be said that you double your chances by drafting a QB on first round. Not because drafting a random guy on 1st makes him automatically good, but because everyone drafts BPA thay fits their needs, just before someone else tries to draft him. So if you draft someone on 1st it is because a bigger number of teams think he's good, therefore there's less risk to fail.

Huh?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, syd said:

ha aha aha  I agree but if we would bother to develop a qb (hopefully we bring in a vet qb) I would rather go that route which is why i would like to see us draft a qb #1 and hopefully we draft the right one

Elvis trumps Bowie.....go for the QB at #4:P

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Huh?

You were talking about waiting to 2nd round to draft a QB, but the odds are against that move. 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

You were talking about waiting to 2nd round to draft a QB, but the odds are against that move. 

I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

Just now, The Gipper said:

I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

5 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

19 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

I knew the restaurant joke. You should ask @LondonBrown

about derogatory terms used for Spaniards, he's the English around here.

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

Apparently not enough, since the CBS Big Board still has Derwin ahead of Minkah and that’s the first result listed on Google under “2018 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings”.

IIRC wasn’t that also the source you were using last year when proclaiming Trubisky to be one of the best players in the draft?

Just now, Dutch Oven said:

Isn't CBS the big board that has Mason Rudolph as it's #1 QB?

It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

In theory...not a bad idea.  Would never happen....but the Browns could definitely use a combo like that.

Minka/R.Smith...see what QB/RB/wr is left in 2nd, AND if u have to make a move up with some capital..

I would love a bad butt D, then build around the little bit we have on O. Sign a A.Smith, some O line help. and whatever else

1)start page 1 with jack & coke.2)ending page 2, just add jack to rocks..3) if or when you get here? congrats $)still take Rosen #1. 5) good starter talent still sits at #4...    

10 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

It is. I believe they take a consensus from their writers and assign a grading scale. At least, they used to. 

FWIW, I also think Derwin will be a better NFL safety than Minkah as well. 

There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

I'd be completely fine with taking Fitz #1 if we get someone like Alex Smith. We'd have a veteran qb, a player who fills a giant need, and still have the #4 to play with. 

16 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Apparently not enough, since the CBS Big Board still has Derwin ahead of Minkah and that’s the first result listed on Google under “2018 NFL Draft Prospect Rankings”.

IIRC wasn’t that also the source you were using last year when proclaiming Trubisky to be one of the best players in the draft?

It is also the one that I used to say that Mason Rudolph is the top rated QB in this draft....and got all kinds of shite for it.  Like I said:  Do you think I didn't do quite a bit of research into this?

Did you also miss it when I said that MOST  services had Minkah rated in the top 2 overall prospects.  So...instead of being a pluperfect pedantic putz, why don't you give us YOUR opinion on who you would prefer:    Minkah or Derwin James....and why.

5 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

There is a factor that Fitz has over just about any other defender in that he served as Saban's defensive QB on the field. Very smart and excellent at calling out the defenses based on formations studied on tape. Now if Fitz is gone by #4 and James is still there, I'd take him in a heartbeat and convert him from SS to FS. Move Peppers to his more natural position.

I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

I see Minkah listed primarily as a FS.    I see James listed primarily as a SS.   What is Peppers supposed to be playing besides Left Out?  I take it you see him at the SS spot...which you say is more natural for him?

I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

12 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I believe he would be better there that whatever that center field position is he can't do. He was better closer to the LOS in college, not some mysterious position near Pluto.

Pluto and Peppers both diminished because of their position?  Pluto no longer a planet....now classified as a "dwarf planet".  Peppers no longer a functioning member of the defense?  Just a "dwarf defensive back"?:D

Archived