Sign in to follow this  
The Gipper

Why not Minkah at #1

27 minutes ago, syd said:

every mock draft has rosen and Donald going #1 and #2  only walters has barkley going #1 which they say it could be Donald

we have to go QB drafting a db is not going to win games 

Again....Mocks are projections about what they think a team WILL do....they are NOT a ranking of the actual best talent.  I would expect that just about everyone would expect the Browns to take a QB at #1.   

But I am asking:  should they?   As....are any of these guys really worthy of the #1 pick?  Most RANKINGS of talent say no....most mocks say that is what will happen.  

As to your last statement....we ALL should know that a QB WILL lose you a lot of games (or did you not watch the Browns this year?)......and perhaps a top DB will prevent you from losing a lot of games.

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Again....Mocks are projections about what they think a team WILL do....they are NOT a ranking of the actual best talent.  I would expect that just about everyone would expect the Browns to take a QB at #1.   

But I am asking:  should they?   As....are any of these guys really worthy of the #1 pick?  Most RANKINGS of talent say no....most mocks say that is what will happen.  

As to your last statement....we ALL should now that a QB WILL lose you a lot of games (or did you not watch the Browns this year?)......and perhaps a top DB will prevent you from losing a lot of games.

no hue lost us all those games sashi didn't help either by not keeping a vet qb on the team,so ya a decent coach and a good qb can take you to the promised land before a db will

17 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Marino was in the 1983 best ever QB draft hard to make the top 10 there! PLUS the drug rumours (some said planted) dropped Marino but Don Shula didn't buy it.

You saying Marino was better than either Kelly or Elway?

2 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Not sure what you are asking?  Are you asking where, of the starting QBs on the 32 teams this past year, did they get drafted?  

I know at least about half of them were 1st rounders.  Just off the top of my head:

Goff #1 overall

Rivers #4

Palmer #1...now retired

Watson #10

Alex Smith  #1

Rodgers (injured like #24..not sure about Hundley)

Trubisky #2

Stafford #1

Mariota #2

Ryan #3

Newton #1

Bortles #3

Cutler  mid 1st...like #11

Winston #1

Flaco...like #18 I think

Ben R.  #11

Wentz #2

Eli #1

Luck #1  injured

Others:

Wilson 3rd round

Carr 2d round

Garrapolo 2d 

Prescott 4th round

Keenum:  UDFA

Brees  2d  (#32...which was 2d at the time)

Brissett...not sure...mid rounder

Kizer  2d

Dalton 2d

Cousins 4th

Taylor...not sure   mid rounder?

Brady 6th

And if you can tell me who the Jets and Broncos started...I guess I may be able to tell what round they came in.    Siemian was like 7th round. Bryce Petty was 3rd.  Osweiler was 2d or 3rd. 

OK. Among those, I'd only take the following non-first rounders: Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Brees, Brady. 5 out of 32 is not a very nice statistic. 

Among first rounders: Stafford, Mariota, Ryan, Newton, Winston (meh), Flacco, BR, Eli, Wentz, Luck. 11 out of 32. 

So it could be said that you double your chances by drafting a QB on first round. Not because drafting a random guy on 1st makes him automatically good, but because everyone drafts BPA thay fits their needs, just before someone else tries to draft him. So if you draft someone on 1st it is because a bigger number of teams think he's good, therefore there's less risk to fail.

Just now, The Gipper said:

You saying Marino was better than either Kelly or Elway?

No just a top QB.

2 minutes ago, syd said:

no hue lost us all those games sashi didn't help either by not keeping a vet qb on the team,so ya a decent coach and a good qb can take you to the promised land before a db will

Well....of 16 losses....Hue gets the Lions share.....but...Kizer was directly responsible for all the TOs....so if he doesn't get the lion's share....he gets the Tiger's share.

4 minutes ago, mjp28 said:

Yes quarterbacks go high, the most important players on the field. There are also busts, a list of 50 including some recent BROWNS:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1047730-50-biggest-quarterback-busts-in-nfl-draft-history

There is a bit of assholery in there.   And definitely a few that don't belong.  Culpepper, Pennington, O'brien, Kerry Collins....were all actually fairly good QBs.  I believe Couch should not be in there.

And this must be fairly old....as there is no Weeden/Manziel in there.

Well....of 16 losses....Hue gets the Lions share.....but...Kizer was directly responsible for all the TOs....so if he doesn't get the lion's share....he gets the Tiger's share.

ha aha aha  I agree but if we would bother to develop a qb (hopefully we bring in a vet qb) I would rather go that route which is why i would like to see us draft a qb #1 and hopefully we draft the right one

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

OK. Among those, I'd only take the following non-first rounders: Wilson, Carr, Garoppolo, Brees, Brady. 5 out of 32 is not a very nice statistic. 

Among first rounders: Stafford, Mariota, Ryan, Newton, Winston (meh), Flacco, BR, Eli, Wentz, Luck. 11 out of 32. 

So it could be said that you double your chances by drafting a QB on first round. Not because drafting a random guy on 1st makes him automatically good, but because everyone drafts BPA thay fits their needs, just before someone else tries to draft him. So if you draft someone on 1st it is because a bigger number of teams think he's good, therefore there's less risk to fail.

Huh?

3 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Derwin AND Minkah

Go Shmucking crazy

In theory...not a bad idea.  Would never happen....but the Browns could definitely use a combo like that.

2 minutes ago, syd said:

ha aha aha  I agree but if we would bother to develop a qb (hopefully we bring in a vet qb) I would rather go that route which is why i would like to see us draft a qb #1 and hopefully we draft the right one

Elvis trumps Bowie.....go for the QB at #4:P

• Like 1

Huh?

You were talking about waiting to 2nd round to draft a QB, but the odds are against that move. 

Huh?

i think maybe he meant you have better odd's when drafting a QB within the first 4 picks to have a good one

• Thanks 1

Elvis trumps Bowie.....go for the QB at #4:P

the Bowie Elvis debate to continue 

5 minutes ago, Nero said:

You were talking about waiting to 2nd round to draft a QB, but the odds are against that move. 

I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

6 minutes ago, syd said:

the Bowie Elvis debate to continue 

No need....love them both.

I was not talking about that.  I did say that it may be possible that we could get one in round 2 that could be every bit as good as the guys that might go in round one.....given the melange of talent at the position...but I was not talking about doing that.

Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

No need....love them both.

did you watch the Bowie special on hbo Monday night ? it was all right the last ten minutes were great

side note: draft a QB #1

23 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

Derwin AND Minkah

Go Shmucking crazy

So where would Peppers play?

2 minutes ago, Nero said:

Uh huh. My fault then. (Insert here "sorry I'm Spaniard" excuses)

What derogatory term do the English have for Spaniards?  

Or, there is this joke:   How do you find the Spanish?    Look on the bottom of the Channel.

An American tourist goes into a restaurant in Spain and orders the specialty of the house. When his dinner arrives, he asks the waiter what it is. "These, senor," replied the waiter in broken English, "are the arms of the bull killed in the ring today." The tourist swallowed hard but tasted the dish and thought it was delicious. So he comes back the next evening and orders the same item. When it is served, he says to the waiter, "These arms... are much smaller than the ones I had last night." "Yes, senor," replied the waiter, "You see...the bull, he does not always lose. 

5 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

Most services have him ranked as the top 1-2 overall prospects of the draft. He is primarily listed as FS....but can supposedly also play SS.

Derwin James...a SS is often top ranked as well. 

And yes....most services have Minkah ahead of James.   Do you think I did not do quite a bit of searching on this?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Minkah isn’t even the top rated safety, much less the top rated prospect.

Link