THE BROWNS BOARD

Hello! You know...Garrapolo is a Free Agent

The Gipper

On 1/13/2018 at 10:29 AM, TopDawg31 said:

still more talent than our last 20 drafts.

This is what's important. As a 49er fan, I see Jimmy Garoppolo, and yeah he looks good, but he has a mechanical flaw on deep passes and threw 5 INTs. But then I think, well, he isn't quite Tom Brady, but my God he is MILES better than what the 49ers have had since Jeff Garcia.

That's how you have to look at it. Look at the Browns last two decades of drafts. The new GM is a DRASTIC upgrade, and will turn the tide for this franchise. Book it.

17 minutes ago, 5_Golden_Rings said:

This is what's important. As a 49er fan, I see Jimmy Garoppolo, and yeah he looks good, but he has a mechanical flaw on deep passes and threw 5 INTs. But then I think, well, he isn't quite Tom Brady, but my God he is MILES better than what the 49ers have had since Jeff Garcia.

That's how you have to look at it. Look at the Browns last two decades of drafts. The new GM is a DRASTIC upgrade, and will turn the tide for this franchise. Book it.

Does Four Calling Birds agree with your assessment? And, you know...all the others?

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2018 at 1:07 PM, Zombo said:

They'll sign him or franchise him

Z

I never really liked to tag key players -but- you might not want to see them walk away either. Besides being a tagged QB isn't exactly minimum wage, offensive players 2019 numbers:

Franchise Tags

QB: $24.865 million..... almost Mayfield numbers
RB: $11.214 million
WR: $16.787 million
TE: $10.387 million

Transition Tags

QB: $22.783 million
RB: $9.099 million
WR: $14.794 million
TE: $8.815 million

I wanted this guy SO BADLY before he signed with San Francisco. I really thought he was an instant QB that you rarely get on the market and I would've traded lord knows what pick to get him. The accuracy, the quick release, and the ability to distribute the ball made him a lock for me. Will he end up being worth it? Time will tell, but his record is stupid amazing, I don't care WHO he's played. Lord man, how many times does that freaking play-action bootleg throw to the tight end work? Apparently a metric shit load. 

Speaking of bootleg, why don't we ever run that? Wasn't that bomb to Perriman off a bootleg last year? 

8 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I wanted this guy SO BADLY before he signed with San Francisco. I really thought he was an instant QB that you rarely get on the market and I would've traded lord knows what pick to get him. The accuracy, the quick release, and the ability to distribute the ball made him a lock for me. Will he end up being worth it? Time will tell, but his record is stupid amazing, I don't care WHO he's played. Lord man, how many times does that freaking play-action bootleg throw to the tight end work? Apparently a metric shit load. 

Speaking of bootleg, why don't we ever run that? Wasn't that bomb to Perriman off a bootleg last year? 

Bootleg's are nice but 1 of the times Jimmy Garrapolo went outside the pocket at the beginning of 2018 - he ended up on IR.

A lot of times, Waggle Passes utilize QB bootlegs which are set up from the running game.  Teams use different terminologies but back in the late 80s-early 90s we set it up from the Buck series (sweep & trap) in the Delaware Wing-T.  When you have an athletic line skilled at trapping and pulling, you can put some really good eye candy on film.  When you don't,  the X's and Uh-O's can expose your QB to some trauma.

Back when Kyle Shanahan was here, he used the bootleg passes with Hoyer quite frequently. The reason for that is he had some success doing so especially early on when the Browns got off to a 7-4 start that nobody saw coming.  The problem he eventually encountered was once enough teams got this on film, it wasn't that difficult to stop and Hoyer began to struggle.   I remembered us being favored to beat Jax when they put on an absolute clinic on how to defend this.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Flugel said:

Bootleg's are nice but 1 of the times Jimmy Garrapolo went outside the pocket at the beginning of 2018 - he ended up on IR.

A lot of times, Waggle Passes utilize QB bootlegs which are set up from the running game.  Teams use different terminologies but back in the late 80s-early 90s we set it up from the Buck series (sweep & trap) in the Delaware Wing-T.  When you have an athletic line skilled at trapping and pulling, you can put some really good eye candy on film.  When you don't,  the X's and Uh-O's can expose your QB to some trauma.

Back when Kyle Shanahan was here, he used the bootleg passes with Hoyer quite frequently. The reason for that is he had some success doing so especially early on when the Browns got off to a 7-4 start that nobody saw coming.  The problem he eventually encountered was once enough teams got this on film, it wasn't that difficult to stop and Hoyer began to struggle.   I remembered us being favored to beat Jax when they put on an absolute clinic on how to defend this.  

This is a terrific post, Flugel. Thanks for the input. 

Fans need to be ready for the obnoxious wide open tight end play, and hopefully we see it enough to adjust and stop it. I read a stat that showed the tremendous disparity between Garoppolo throwing under pressure vs clean pocket and it was startling. Bottom line? We get pressure and we can win. We don't, they WILL march it down the field and score a bunch of points on us. It'd be nice if they self destructed like they did against the Steelers (and somehow won btw), but I wouldn't count on it. They got lucky but we're a team that will definitely beat you if you turn it over 4 or 5 times. 

• Thanks 1