Sign in to follow this  
The Gipper

Hello! You know...Garrapolo is a Free Agent

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/1/3/16844750/jimmy-garoppolo-contract-extension-49ers

I know that it says here that Garropolo and the 49ers likely want to make a deal with each other....but:

Garrapolo IS still going to be an unrestricted free agent after the Super Bowl.....so, in reality, anything can happen.   Not that it would happen....or if it did happen that it would happen here.

Honestly....you know what I would like to see:    JG signing a FA deal with the Buffalo Bills or the NY Jets.  Then he could come back and haunt the Patriots for years to come.

But...coming to Cleveland?    Not likely.   What odds would my fictional character  Bookie Bugsy Bittenberger give on that?

They'll sign him or franchise him

Z

If I were the 9ers I'd sign him to a 4 year deal. He looked great but his achievements as of today still are 5 wins, his stock will only rise from now on if he keeps playing like that and signing him later will be more expensive.

49 minutes ago, Zombo said:

They'll sign him or franchise him

Z

Can they do that? 

1 minute ago, The Gipper said:

Can they do that? 

Yep. They didn't trade for him to let him walk. They can put the franchise tag on him.

Z

9 minutes ago, Zombo said:

Yep. They didn't trade for him to let him walk. They can put the franchise tag on him.

Z

Good enough..   Takes them out of taking a QB.

So....I see that there may in fact be 10 teams that may be in the market for a first round QB:

Browns #1

Giants #2....even if they keep Eli...who just turned 37. 

Broncos #5....unless you all believe You Know Who...and believe Lynch remains their future.

Jets #6

Redskins #13....if Cousins walks

Cardinals #15

Buffalo  #21 or #22...they have both of those picks....But they may want a veteran if they don't stick with Taylor.

Jacksonville?  though I think they would prefer a veteran for their ready to win now team.

Saints.....to groom someone to take over for Brees....who will be 39 a week from today.

Patriots.    Brady will be 41 at the beginning of next season.

As I see it....the ONLY team that won't likely be in the market for a QB high in this draft is whomever signs Cousins.  Which, to me, most likely would be the Cards or Broncos.

So.....I would NOT be surprised if we end up matching 1983 and have 6 QBs taken in round One.     Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph....all could go.

I don't see any other veteran  QB besides Cousins that would be signed that would remove any of these teams from the Hunt for Mr. October QB 

Fair to say?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Broncos #5....unless you all believe You Know Who...and believe Lynch remains their future.

Jacksonville?  though I think they would prefer a veteran for their ready to win now team.

As I see it....the ONLY team that won't likely be in the market for a QB high in this draft is whomever signs Cousins.  Which, to me, most likely would be the Cards or Broncos.

So.....I would NOT be surprised if we end up matching 1983 and have 6 QBs taken in round One.     Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, Jackson, Rudolph....all could go.

Fair to say?

^^^ nice take Gip.  :)   

Cousins could well go to the Jags- they seem to have everything else in place, and if you watched their playoff game- Bortles pretty much stinks. 

Regarding the Denver Donkeys- Elway has been spotted at every bowl game that a major QB prospect has been playing in...  Plus they get to coach the Senior Bowl with Benkert and Mayfield participating. That alone tells me all I need to know about John Boy's evaluation of Lynch...   

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

As I see it....the ONLY team that won't likely be in the market for a QB high in this draft is whomever signs Cousins.  Which, to me, most likely would be the Cards or Broncos.So.....Fair to say?

Cards wouldn't be interested, mainly do to cap room and having too many other needs.  That coming mainly from reading the Cards forum.  But who really knows.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

What are the odds the Browns will write down Todd Blackledge instead of Elway, Marino or Kelly?

Me thinks pretty high....... 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, D Bone said:

What are the odds the Browns will write down Todd Blackledge instead of Elway, Marino or Kelly?

I've been thinking about that. Doesn't matter who we pick, it'll be the wrong guy. Hopefully, Dorsey will be the guy to break that streak.

34 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Well....as I have said, this group may just be a repeat of the Ponder, Locker, Gabbert  et al.....except there is no Cam Newton at the top of it.

Or perhaps like  Couch, Akili Smith, Cade McNown.  We will end up with the Couch again while someone else takes the McNabb.

39 minutes ago, SissyBoyFloyd said:

As I see it....the ONLY team that won't likely be in the market for a QB high in this draft is whomever signs Cousins.  Which, to me, most likely would be the Cards or Broncos.So.....Fair to say?

Cards wouldn't be interested, mainly do to cap room and having too many other needs.  That coming mainly from reading the Cards forum.  But who really knows.

So? What is the Cards plan?    I guess first thing is:  get a coach.

Any names for that cropping up?

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

So? What is the Cards plan?    I guess first thing is:  get a coach.

Any names for that cropping up?

Shurmur along with Keenum the talk.  Fans seem to like Eagles QB coach, Filippo a lot.

Shurmur along with Keenum the talk.  Fans seem to like Eagles QB coach, Filippo a lot.

Can two ex Browns failures actually be up for HC consideration?   

10 hours ago, stillmotion said:

You know, we could've just drafted Jimmy G, instead of taking Manziel, and then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

We have a whole generation of coulda, shoulda, woulda to look back on.

20 hours ago, D Bone said:

What? No faith in your "football guy"?

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

How can we....given our history the last 18 years?  It is ingrained in our psyche that our FO is going to fuyuck up their draft picks.  Lets hope in this regard our expectations are NOT fulfilled.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

We have a whole generation of coulda, shoulda, woulda to look back on.

i usually don't do shoulda coulda woulda, but he was my favorite QB out of the draft class, I wanted him, he was smart with a lightning quick release, and Pettine liked him a lot too. But if Jimmy didn't meddle, we could of had him.

9 minutes ago, stillmotion said:

i usually don't do shoulda coulda woulda, but he was my favorite QB out of the draft class...

Yes he was... and you could actually spell his name.

4 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I doubt you'll find a post of mine claiming our new dude as mine.... heck, as I type this I can't even remember his name. 

On 1/8/2018 at 12:57 PM, The Gipper said:

Can they do that? 

Any player can be franchised with an expiring contract unless there is a no tag clause in the original contract.

Jimmy G is the property of SF and they will control his rights in 2018.

On 1/8/2018 at 4:11 PM, flyingfooldoug said:

I've been thinking about that. Doesn't matter who we pick, it'll be the wrong guy. Hopefully, Dorsey will be the guy to break that streak.

Kelce, Hunt, Hill, Peters, plus all the lower round talent that panned out.

Dorsey is going to chew that draft board up and spit it out. Dorsey is no coffee fetcher.