Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Suomi

Alex smith

Recommended Posts

Alex Smith led the NFL in quarterback rating this season, and so far he looks every bit the part.

I'm firmly in the camp that the Browns NOT take a QB with the first pick in the draft.  Rather, I'd prefer that they acquire a true NFL-caliber quarterback by, well, getting a current NFL quarterback.  Smith via trade, or Cousins via free agency, either works for me.

If the Browns do pick up one of those two it provides Dorsey with flexibility to trade down for more picks or, my preference, stay put and draft blue chip studs at #1 and #4.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man I hope we can somehow land Smith or Cousins..... Give me a proven QB in the prime of his career all day before the next great Former Browns 1st Round QB Bust.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why on earth would Alex Smith want to come and be the Browns QB?  Or Cousins for that matter?  Teams won't even TRADE their QB to us because they don't want to punish them THAT bad.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Alex Smith going to the Bills before coming here. They run WCO in Buffalo, which Alex Smith thrives in. Hue Jackson’s offense is very vertical, where Alex Smith struggles

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Why on earth would Alex Smith want to come and be the Browns QB?  Or Cousins for that matter?  Teams won't even TRADE their QB to us because they don't want to punish them THAT bad.

Smith would be acquired via trade, as he is not a free agent.  I don't care what it would cost to sign Cousins - it's not my money, and the Browns have a ton of it.  

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

Regarding the perception of players' lack of interest to come to Cleveland, that's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Thankfully you're not in the front office.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

I see Alex Smith going to the Bills before coming here. They run WCO in Buffalo, which Alex Smith thrives in. Hue Jackson’s offense is very vertical, where Alex Smith struggles

That was true in the past, but this year KC adopted a much more vertical passing game.  Apparently it agreed with Smith as he led the league with nine completions of 30 yards or more and in QBR with 105.  Give him Gordon, Njoko, Duke, a free agent acquisition (Allen Robinson would be nice) and an RB in the draft (Saquon Barkley) and he'd thrive in Cleveland - as would the Browns.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may sound crazy but I'd like to see how Nick Foles handles the playoffs.  He could be a reasonable option.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish we could get Andy Reid also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Browns149 said:

I wish we could get Andy Reid also

Would be a dream, he always seems to give his QB a great chance of succeeding. 

The polar opposite to our current HC

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Suomi said:

Alex Smith led the NFL in quarterback rating this season, and so far he looks every bit the part.

I'm firmly in the camp that the Browns NOT take a QB with the first pick in the draft.  Rather, I'd prefer that they acquire a true NFL-caliber quarterback by, well, getting a current NFL quarterback.  Smith via trade, or Cousins via free agency, either works for me.

If the Browns do pick up one of those two it provides Dorsey with flexibility to trade down for more picks or, my preference, stay put and draft blue chip studs at #1 and #4.  

Even IF we somehow get Smith- MHO is we're still taking a QB with the #1 pick. Smith is 33, turns 34 in May- and is the perfect bridge qb to have Darnold (or someone similar) sit behind a year or two to learn the game. 

58 minutes ago, Suomi said:

Smith would be acquired via trade, as he is not a free agent.  I don't care what it would cost to sign Cousins - it's not my money, and the Browns have a ton of it.  

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

Regarding the perception of players' lack of interest to come to Cleveland, that's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Thankfully you're not in the front office.

Regarding drafting QBs, just because you've struck out in the past doesn't mean you don't keep swinging. We haven't drafted a QB high since Tim Couch. That's 19 years ago. I am so freaking tired of shopping the bargain bin. Had Wentz staring us in the face, and we got Corey Cold-hands in return. The Bengals drafted a series of incredible busts high- Dave Kingler and Akilli Smith, until they hit on Carson Palmer. So here's some karma for you- Palmer- USC, Darnold-USC. 

Thankfully,  you're not in charge of the cap either. Cousins is going to demand (and probably get) top 5 qb money, plus a long term contract. Know a big Redskins fan who says Cousins flat out isn't worth what it would cost Washington to resign him. FWIW, Smith will cost around $19 million in a trade in the final year of his contract. The bidding for Cousins will start at $24 million- his current salary. You tell me what the better deal for the Browns is.  :)   

I'll let the draft gurus decide- but one of our second round picks should be plenty to get Smith on the Browns. Don't forget the Chiefs are missing their first round pick this year. Or would you rather get in a bidding war for $150 million (the number I've been hearing)  and marry the team to Cousins for the next 4 years? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex Smith has one more year left on his contract, so he would have to be traded for.

So what would you give up for a one-year rental for a bridge player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

This may sound crazy but I'd like to see how Nick Foles handles the playoffs.  He could be a reasonable option.

Key word in your post? "Could". This isn't a team that can afford coulds and maybes. This is a team that needs a proven starter regardless of cost.  I think it's understood from ownership down within the organization and throughout the fan base we must win in 2018. Having salary cap concerns now in signing Cousins is just a non issue. Bringing in Alex Smith I'm quite sure if he came we could get an extension in place. There is absolutely no sensible path forward that doesn't involve pushing hard for one of these guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Would be a dream, he always seems to give his QB a great chance of succeeding. 

The polar opposite to our current HC

Exactly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Key word in your post? "Could". This isn't a team that can afford coulds and maybes. This is a team that needs a proven starter regardless of cost.  I think it's understood from ownership down within the organization and throughout the fan base we must win in 2018. Having salary cap concerns now in signing Cousins is just a non issue. Bringing in Alex Smith I'm quite sure if he came we could get an extension in place. There is absolutely no sensible path forward that doesn't involve pushing hard for one of these guys. 

I tend to agree but my main concern is backing up the Brinks truck and still not having enough talent to make it matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BaconHound said:

I tend to agree but my main concern is backing up the Brinks truck and still not having enough talent to make it matter.

Bottom line if you want a proven FQB you pay them....... A LOT :) We have more than enough cap. In addition we have the draft assets to acquire a plethora of elite weapons AND a QB who falls in the draft. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jcam222 said:

Bottom line if you want a proven FQB you pay them....... A LOT :) We have more than enough cap. In addition we have the draft assets to acquire a plethora of elite weapons AND a QB who falls in the draft. 

I agree.  But like everything else the Browns do I'm always waiting for it to blow up :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

WSS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

WSS

So you're saying that Alex Smith isn't worth as much as Kizer?

I'd take Alex Smith, #1, #4 & #33 and give up #35.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to have Smith, but he's going to cost possibly a relatively high draft pick.

There's going to be some vet QBs available via free agency too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BaconHound said:

This may sound crazy but I'd like to see how Nick Foles handles the playoffs.  He could be a reasonable option.

Foles has been absolutely atrocious on 2/3 starts so far.  I mean scout team bad.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

WSS

Totally baffled why you wouldnt give anything of value for Cousins or Smith. Both immediately make us better than we've been since the return. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alex Smith has one more year left on his contract, so he would have to be traded for.

So what would you give up for a one-year rental for a bridge player?

Since you asked, I give them the pick we got from the Eagles in the second round-it's going to be a low one. Latest on nfl.com says the bidding could get crazy. That pick and a future second is as high as I go. 

I'm not keen on backing up the Brinks for Cousins, and if the bidding gets insane for Smith, I let our designated pinata Kizer start and lose a few more before we throw the rookie into the fray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Since you asked, I give them the pick we got from the Eagles in the second round-it's going to be a low one. Latest on nfl.com says the bidding could get crazy. That pick and a future second is as high as I go. 

I'm not keen on backing up the Brinks for Cousins, and if the bidding gets insane for Smith, I let our designated pinata Kizer start and lose a few more before we throw the rookie into the fray. 

All three Minnesota Vikings QBs are free agents...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Totally baffled why you wouldnt give anything of value for Cousins or Smith. Both immediately make us better than we've been since the return. 

Sometimes I think it's been so long since we've seen real football from the Browns that some of us have forgotten what it looks like. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×