Sign in to follow this  
Suomi

Alex smith

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

No need to "tag" a player currently under contract.

If we trade we get Smith for one season, 2018, under his current contract, a season in which he is due $20.6mm. If you want him for a 2nd year, and cannot come to terms with him on an extension, you tag him. The tag would be for the 2019 season. Cost would probably be around $26mm for the year. Cap space should certainly not be an issue.

Why would we then tag? Because his replacement is either not yet ready or not yet on the roster.

Certainly would not give KC one of our 1sts for him... at least not straight up. Might some other team, e.g. JAX, give their late first for him? Could be...

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

My assumption was that Tour was saying: "trade for him for 2018....and when he becomes a FA after 2018...franchise tag him then".  If you franchise tag him, to me that says that "we are going to pay you as if you are one of the 5 best....highest paid QBs in the game". And in no way would I consider Smith to be close to that.   His name ain't Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben R., Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Carr, Wilson etc.  If Smith were to be considered in the Top 15 QBs in the league it would be an upset.  But...he would be a good Bridge QB....and if they trade for him....they should only give up what that is worth (to me a 3rd rounder basically)....and I certainly would not pay him like a Top 5 guy.

Other than that is not what I said...

What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

11 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Other than that is not what I said...

What are you fond of saying about "assuming"?

I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, thenew23 said:

I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

Well, Dorsey certainly knows Smith and he knows the Chiefs' organization.

There has been noise the second half of the season about starting the young QB- Patrick Mahomes.  If the organization believes Mahomes is their future QB, I believe they'd give up Smith for a 3rd Rounder.  Why keep him around - on the bench - to maintain / create a(nother) QB controversy.

Smith = Gary Danielson.

Kosar = the QB drafted in the first round this year - either at #1 or #6.

The new QB plays Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre / Garropollo to Brady. - except the new guy stays and plays in a year or two.  Smith - even if he is still a top-flight player in a couple of years, certainly cannot sustain like Brady.

FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

I could be wrong.....

But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

27 minutes ago, mohican said:

FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

I could be wrong.....

But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

I'd love to see them bring in a vet like Alex Smith. If they did that, I may have to try some of that Sh it Your Bed hot sauce. 

37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

but c'mon all points point towards that and his 17 million dollar contract

put simply, if the Chiefs were seriously in the mood to get rid of Alex Smith we'd be crazy to not invest. The chiefs lost that game in spite of how good Alex Smith played. If we did trade for him, you'd want him to hopefully agree to at least two more years under contract though. a potential 2nd round pick for one year on a "rebuilding (god I hate that word)" team is a little meh.

That being said, there's several other teams who will be chomping at the bit if he's up there for trade. The Broncos, Cardinals, Jets, Bills (maybe), and the Colts are all way better situations. I'd love to have smith though. He would bring a two year bridge of much needed solidity at the position.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

Agree on the extension. I almost edited my original post to say as much. I think you can dangle the exorbitant cap space and damn near historical draft firepower as a commitment to give the vet QB confidence in a supporting group of players. Hell if he has a FA target in mind let him recruit 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

Here is what I say directly. YES if he plays to the level of a winning season and you have to tag him to keep him then you tag him. It's plain and simple spend money and win football games. My head as a fan, my wallet as a PSL season ticket holder, the front office, coaches, most of the players and majority of fans understand WE NEED TO ACCUMULATE WINS. If we have to pay Alex Smith $26 million for a season or two to make that happen write the damn checks. When your QB of the future is ready to win it's a different story. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, Suomi said:

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

I'm a niners fan that "followed" Smith to KC.  KC fans are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.  Patrick Mahomes week 17 win in a meaningless game was the first win by a KC drafted QB in 2000 years or something.  They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Temper11 said:

They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

33 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

Short and sweet HELL NO. 

Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

WSS

41 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

WSS

And that makes me have the exact opposite reaction because Mr. "Trust me" likes him.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

Personally I don't see Smith or Cousins as the kind of transcendent quarterback that pulls their team across the finish line. I think they are guys who will do alright if the team is performing at a high level. Probably a step ahead of some of the others being mentioned here, the bums, but nobody that I would expect to be the wise old Mentor to our quarterback of the future. I'm a little bit more intrigued by McCarran just because it seems that's the guy coach Jackson really wants.

WSS

Hue also wanted RG III and Kessler Steve. Be afraid, very afraid. I don't trust Hue's QB judgement any farther than I could throw him- except into the Lake. 

My first post on the thread:

- First of all, I think what Browns can give KC is way more than other teams. We have a lot of draft picks AND we are not a rival. We went 0-16 and they won their division, we are not a serious threat. 

If you are going to go with a 2nd year rookie with only one start, you don't want to take the risk of trading your veteran QB to any of your rivals in the playoffs and 'help' them. Because if your rookie QB has a worse season than your veteran, everyone is going to draw comparisons. Moreover, the QB position hasn't been the main problem for KC this year, their defense has been way worse than last year, mostly against the run.

- Second: we are looking for a solution for the QB position. The team still has many holes, either on skill players (WR, CB) or depth (DL, LB). Smith is a good QB, not amazing but incredibly reliable: Few INTs, gets first downs with his feet, can scramble. We lost some of this year games only because of turnovers, so that's already an improvement. If he becomes a long term solution, great, if he is a bridge QB for the QB we draft this year, even better. 

- We are drafting a QB. You cannot pass on one of the best drafts QBwise in years simply because you got a FA. Don't take the chances and go both FA and draft.

- I don't think Alex Smith's style matches with Hue's deep offense. I think someone already said that. And I don't see our magnificent coach adapting his offensive schemes to anyone. He hasn't even with a struggling rookie QB. 

- We should sign at least a FA WR before we negotiate with Alex Smith. I don't know how is his relationship with the KC front office, but probably they don't want to do any bad to him and investing in weapons that he could use would help our case and make our offer more attractive. 

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

Hue also wanted RG III and Kessler Steve. Be afraid, very afraid. I don't trust Hue's QB judgement any farther than I could throw him- except into the Lake. 

I didn't like RG3 because I thought he had a shity attitude. When it became apparent he'd gotten over that I was in his corner. One of the most talented quarterbacks for a long time and I was looking forward to him making a turn around. Cody Kessler was never expected to be the savior.

But I'm just as happy with AJ, which ain't much, has any of these other bums you guys were talking about. Especially Taylor and more especially Kaepernick.

WSS

13 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

WSS

Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Well....I think Smith would be the "wise old mentor"....or more specifically...the "Bridge QB"....to play a year while the new highly drafted QB sits and learns.  (Which is what should have happened this year with either McCown or even Osweiler).

Cousins...no.  He would be the guy you would expect to come in and start the next 8 years.  He is like at least 8-9 years younger than Smith.

Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

21 minutes ago, hoorta said:

Actually not Gip. Smith is 34 this year, Cousins 30. My issue is even if the Browns threw the $150 million at him (that Kirk won't take from Cleveland- he's going to chase a ring) he'd be Smith's age by the time the Browns get to that level.

I didn't think Cousins was that old.  I thought he would only be like 27 or 28.  He was drafted in 2012 no?  Only 5 years ago from last season.  I assumed he would have been like 22 or 23 when he came out.  He must have actually been a bit older than average when he was drafted.  Not Brandon Weeden old...but old.

22 hours ago, The Gipper said:

But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

Not even close, Gip.

My original comment was that the tag was always there to fall back upon.

Your original interpretation was to just go to the tag.