THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex smith

Suomi

15 minutes ago, Suomi said:

Taking a QB at #1 after trading for Alex Smith assumes that there is a franchise QB among the current prospects.  I'm not convinced that there is.  Not a single one blows scouts away with his skills, leadership, or performance.  As such, selecting a QB with the first pick is perilous.

The Browns have some exciting targets in Gordon, Nojoku and Duke.  Some of their best years will go to waste if the Browns cross their fingers yet again and hope that they hit on a franchise QB in the draft.  Waiting for such a QB to develop, or waiting for one to fall into their lap, just adds years to the rebuild.  Players such as Danny Shelton aren't going to wait when their first chance at free agency occurs - they'll find both big money and a successful team outside of Ohio.

You're right - it is a good thing for you that I'm not in charge of the cap.  That way you can continue to fantasize about what the Browns can acquire NEXT year with all that cash under the cap.  I'm not satisfied with dumpster diving to fill out the roster - that never leads to wins.  I want a roster full of professional football players that know how to win, have a history of winning, and will snap this franchise out of the deadly funk it has been sleepwalking through for the past two decades.  If that requires over-paying to acquire such players, so be it.  The money is there to be spent, and spent to improve the roster.  There are no awards for having the most cap space.  Spend it.

Post of the year candidate right here

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, thenew23 said:

I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

Well thanks to the Titans, Smith is now available.:D

That Colin Kaepernick fellow is still sitting around doing jack Sh!t and could probably be signed for a dollar fifty. I don't like all the racially and politically charged nonsense that's come in the wake of his protest but I hear he used to be a decent football player once upon a time. 

6 hours ago, hoorta said:

But what will the asking price be Ag?  

Actually the key question is what will Dorsey be willing to give up. He did bring him in to KC for an early second and a conditional mid-rounder according to this article. I don't know who those turned out to be or where in the mid rounds they gave up the pick.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

I'm also not sure if KC has cap problems that will require then to drop Smith anyway. Heard rumors but don't know the particulars.

9 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

That Colin Kaepernick fellow is still sitting around doing jack Sh!t and could probably be signed for a dollar fifty. I don't like all the racially and politically charged nonsense that's come in the wake of his protest but I hear he used to be a decent football player once upon a time. 

Lots of rust not to mention divisive baggage that a young team does not need. 

7 hours ago, hoorta said:

But what will the asking price be Ag?  

Of course by draft time, KC will be asking for a 1st round pick just as Belicheck with Jimmy G. Why not, When ya have No 1st round pick,why not ask for the Moon. KC will be looking at teams later in the draft such as Buffalo/Jags/Zona teams a QB away with ageing veterans rosters to jump at Alex. Lets just say after pick 22, is their a QB on the board better than Alex that can start Now?..This time Elway won't be jumping for guys like Paxton Lynch..and no, KC will not trade Alex in division but will have no complaints asking for a 1st..We sit at #33 & what else? maybe KC's offer?????(Reid's plan was moving Hogan to KC PS..that poker chip is in the pot imo)   

10 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

CANCER

10 hours ago, The Cysko Kid said:

If he'd be willing to sign for a reasonable price than by all means.  As a fan of team is 1-31 I really don't care about kneeling, I'll take some victories and then worry about how they look.  Michael Vick is on TV and what he did was a thousand times worse.  Do we still talk about Crows twitter rants?  The Cleveland Browns need good football players.

51 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

If he'd be willing to sign for a reasonable price than by all means.  As a fan of team is 1-31 I really don't care about kneeling, I'll take some victories and then worry about how they look.  Michael Vick is on TV and what he did was a thousand times worse.  Do we still talk about Crows twitter rants?  The Cleveland Browns need good football players.

You might feel this way, but I can guarantee this would be an epic constant fight on here if Kaepernick was signed by the Browns.

He should have a NFL job, I have a hard time believing there are 64+ better QBs in the NFL.

I just don't want to see the circus it would start on here, plus he's not a good fit IMO. I want Kizer as the #3, Rosen or Darnold as the backup, and Alex Smith/ Teddy Twatwater/Case Keenum/Sam Bradford/Tyrod Taylor/AJ McCarron as the starter.

21 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

You might feel this way, but I can guarantee this would be an epic constant fight on here if Kaepernick was signed by the Browns.

He should have a NFL job, I have a hard time believing there are 64+ better QBs in the NFL.

I just don't want to see the circus it would start on here, plus he's not a good fit IMO . I want Kizer as the #3, Rosen or Darnold as the backup, and Alex Smith/ Teddy Twatwater/Case Keenum/Sam Bradford/Tyrod Taylor/AJ McCarron as the starter.

Oh yeah the media spotlight would be really on Cleveland and for more than the 0-16 thing. Who knows it might be good for local business, might even sell a few more BROWNS game tickets. 

As a starting Quarterback who knows might be a stopgap until the next draft day rookie savior is ready to put in the breech and fire into live action. More drama in Cleveland.  :blink:

18 hours ago, Suomi said:

Alex Smith led the NFL in quarterback rating this season, and so far he looks every bit the part.

I'm firmly in the camp that the Browns NOT take a QB with the first pick in the draft.  Rather, I'd prefer that they acquire a true NFL-caliber quarterback by, well, getting a current NFL quarterback.  Smith via trade, or Cousins via free agency, either works for me.

If the Browns do pick up one of those two it provides Dorsey with flexibility to trade down for more picks or, my preference, stay put and draft blue chip studs at #1 and #4.  

I like or Kirk cousins if available 

2 hours ago, BaconHound said:

A young team struggling to learn how to win needs to minimize distractions. Haslam doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb, but I' sure even he learned from the Johnny disaster.

Can you imagine all the media swarming in to Cleveland, to cover Kaepernick? No thanks. 

Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

- Offer Philly’s second for Smith.

- Sign two veteran WR’s, preferably a true slot and a solid #2. 

- Play the Giants off the Broncos for the #1 pick. Send it to NYG for #2, 2018 second-round pick + 2019 third round pick. If they don’t bite, send it to Denver for #5 and a 2019 first + 2018 second.

Take Minkah with the first pick, Darnold with the second.

It’s easy as pie and all very doable.

51 minutes ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Cousins won’t come here, save for us offering him like $40m a year. We can forget about that happening.

- Offer Philly’s second for Smith.

- Sign two veteran WR’s, preferably a true slot and a solid #2. 

- Play the Giants off the Broncos for the #1 pick. Send it to NYG for #2, 2018 second-round pick + 2019 third round pick. If they don’t bite, send it to Denver for #5 and a 2019 first + 2018 second.

Take Minkah with the first pick, Darnold with the second.

It’s easy as pie and all very doable.

Giants won't trade a thing since they are likely to be ok with either QB @ #2. And if you trade out with Denver, Darnold won't be there @ #4 or 5. Just not logical for either event to happen, but especially the latter.

I am skeptical that Alex Smith comes here.  Hue has a hard-on for McCarron and I think that's who the Browns will target as their veteran QB, since Haslam seems intent on keeping Hue happy.  Haslam is putting a ton of pressure on the FO to find a QB so the Browns will use the #1 pick on a QB.  I like Mayfield but I think the Browns will either go Rosen or Darnold, hopefully they won't go Allen but who knows what they'll do.  Hopefully Fitzpatrick will still be there at #4, secondary needs serious help if Williams insists on blitzing and having 1 on 1 coverage in the secondary.

Remember when Kessler was setting rookie records for a Browns QB?  seems like ages ago, he could have been the Browns version of Alex Smith had they stuck with him.  Too bad the Browns suck at developing QBs and insist on throwing guys out there for trial by fire.  Browns need a guy who can coach himself, since he won't be getting any good coaching here.  Kizer has the maturity and the work ethic but those panicky situations where he tries to do too much have ruined his rookie season, best case scenario = kizer makes a huge turnaround and calms down, earns the starting position so we don't have to watch McCarron show why he couldn't beat out Dalton or another year of rookie mistakes from the #1 draft pick.

2 minutes ago, Browns1216 said:

I am skeptical that Alex Smith comes here. 

He's under contract for the 2018 season.

If the Browns make a trade with Kansas City for Smith, he wouldn't have any choice.

30 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Giants won't trade a thing since they are likely to be ok with either QB @ #2. And if you trade out with Denver, Darnold won't be there @ #4 or 5. Just not logical for either event to happen, but especially the latter.

They’ll prefer one or the other. That’s what good front offices and coaching staffs do, they don’t just go “meh, we’ll take whoever”, especially when the QB’s have different skillsets. Whether that’s Rosen or Darnold is yet to be decided, but you can bet it will be one or the other. 

I also don’t buy Rosen/Darnold #1/#2. Not when there’s two other QB’s poised to have strong  combines and interviews. A QB needy team will fall in love with Allen and a team will fall in love with Mayfield and that will take two teams out of contention as tradeup possibilities. 

The only issue is that one of those teams could be Denver, with Allen. Elway likes big arms.

Regardless, I don’t believe it will be a 1/2 QB year.

Man... an awful lot of retreads being bandied about here.

17 hours ago, thenew23 said:

If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

4? Sit all the way thru the rookie contract and then play in the 5th year option?

It's two tops... and even then you are looking at drafting another QB just in case.

6 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

Actually the key question is what will Dorsey be willing to give up. He did bring him in to KC for an early second and a conditional mid-rounder according to this article. I don't know who those turned out to be or where in the mid rounds they gave up the pick.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8995035/san-francisco-49ers-agree-trade-alex-smith-kansas-city-chiefs-source

I'm also not sure if KC has cap problems that will require then to drop Smith anyway. Heard rumors but don't know the particulars.

About the right price...

And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.

2 hours ago, Bob806 said:

A young team struggling to learn how to win needs to minimize distractions. Haslam doesn't appear to be the brightest bulb, but I' sure even he learned from the Johnny disaster.

Can you imagine all the media swarming in to Cleveland, to cover Kaepernick? No thanks. 

Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31.  

I think we've allowed the media to run wild concerning Kaep, just check the numbers and compare them to Cleveland's jesus.  I'll grant that the game has moved more in the passing direction but there were QBs like Marino, Montana, Moon, Elway etc. who lit people up in the 80s & 90s.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KaepCo00.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KosaBe00.htm

2 hours ago, Tim Couch Pulls Out said:

Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

3 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

Let the swarm.  Nothing distracting the team this year or last, 1-31. 

I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

And, yes, KC has serious cap issues...

2018 Total Cap Liabilities: $185,916,155 - Top 51: $180,109,232 - Team Cap Space: ($4,824,812) as in they are almost $5mm in the hole for 2018.

Their GM must have been really good...

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Completely agree on Cousins... he has money, he'll go after rings and that likely sends him to JAX.

I have no issues with Kaep other than I can't see him being a part of the solution.

After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

8 minutes ago, hoorta said:

After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

That game set the game of football back 100 years, yes?

Seriously..(If we) add a coach that looks the part of not over his head,stay healthy? were 2-3 key FA's & a solid draft of 4-6 pieces away..from not watching that wildcard crud..the Last Browns win in a wildcard game? 1994 Browns-20 Patriots-13..pupil beats Parcels..those were the dayes our friends...thought they'd never end :P  

What are the browns plan c for qb?

qb@1

sign or trade for vet

bortles is terrible, who is to say they don’t offer their 28th pick to get Alex smith? Are u willing to give up #4 ? Seems steep 

i just don’t want it to be the same ol stuff where the browns are left with Teddy Twatwater  

Cousins wont come here unless it’s 45 mil year or he has Landry Gordon and Pryor 

I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

Archived