THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex smith

Suomi

Alex Smith led the NFL in quarterback rating this season, and so far he looks every bit the part.

I'm firmly in the camp that the Browns NOT take a QB with the first pick in the draft.  Rather, I'd prefer that they acquire a true NFL-caliber quarterback by, well, getting a current NFL quarterback.  Smith via trade, or Cousins via free agency, either works for me.

If the Browns do pick up one of those two it provides Dorsey with flexibility to trade down for more picks or, my preference, stay put and draft blue chip studs at #1 and #4.  

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man I hope we can somehow land Smith or Cousins..... Give me a proven QB in the prime of his career all day before the next great Former Browns 1st Round QB Bust.

Why on earth would Alex Smith want to come and be the Browns QB?  Or Cousins for that matter?  Teams won't even TRADE their QB to us because they don't want to punish them THAT bad.

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

Why on earth would Alex Smith want to come and be the Browns QB?  Or Cousins for that matter?  Teams won't even TRADE their QB to us because they don't want to punish them THAT bad.

Smith would be acquired via trade, as he is not a free agent.  I don't care what it would cost to sign Cousins - it's not my money, and the Browns have a ton of it.  

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

Regarding the perception of players' lack of interest to come to Cleveland, that's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Thankfully you're not in the front office.

2 minutes ago, Adoug319 said:

I see Alex Smith going to the Bills before coming here. They run WCO in Buffalo, which Alex Smith thrives in. Hue Jackson’s offense is very vertical, where Alex Smith struggles

That was true in the past, but this year KC adopted a much more vertical passing game.  Apparently it agreed with Smith as he led the league with nine completions of 30 yards or more and in QBR with 105.  Give him Gordon, Njoko, Duke, a free agent acquisition (Allen Robinson would be nice) and an RB in the draft (Saquon Barkley) and he'd thrive in Cleveland - as would the Browns.

1 hour ago, Suomi said:

Alex Smith led the NFL in quarterback rating this season, and so far he looks every bit the part.

I'm firmly in the camp that the Browns NOT take a QB with the first pick in the draft.  Rather, I'd prefer that they acquire a true NFL-caliber quarterback by, well, getting a current NFL quarterback.  Smith via trade, or Cousins via free agency, either works for me.

If the Browns do pick up one of those two it provides Dorsey with flexibility to trade down for more picks or, my preference, stay put and draft blue chip studs at #1 and #4.  

Even IF we somehow get Smith- MHO is we're still taking a QB with the #1 pick. Smith is 33, turns 34 in May- and is the perfect bridge qb to have Darnold (or someone similar) sit behind a year or two to learn the game. 

58 minutes ago, Suomi said:

Smith would be acquired via trade, as he is not a free agent.  I don't care what it would cost to sign Cousins - it's not my money, and the Browns have a ton of it.  

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

Regarding the perception of players' lack of interest to come to Cleveland, that's a self-fulfilling prophesy.  Thankfully you're not in the front office.

Regarding drafting QBs, just because you've struck out in the past doesn't mean you don't keep swinging. We haven't drafted a QB high since Tim Couch. That's 19 years ago. I am so freaking tired of shopping the bargain bin. Had Wentz staring us in the face, and we got Corey Cold-hands in return. The Bengals drafted a series of incredible busts high- Dave Kingler and Akilli Smith, until they hit on Carson Palmer. So here's some karma for you- Palmer- USC, Darnold-USC. 

Thankfully,  you're not in charge of the cap either. Cousins is going to demand (and probably get) top 5 qb money, plus a long term contract. Know a big Redskins fan who says Cousins flat out isn't worth what it would cost Washington to resign him. FWIW, Smith will cost around $19 million in a trade in the final year of his contract. The bidding for Cousins will start at $24 million- his current salary. You tell me what the better deal for the Browns is.  :)   

I'll let the draft gurus decide- but one of our second round picks should be plenty to get Smith on the Browns. Don't forget the Chiefs are missing their first round pick this year. Or would you rather get in a bidding war for $150 million (the number I've been hearing)  and marry the team to Cousins for the next 4 years? 

49 minutes ago, BaconHound said:

This may sound crazy but I'd like to see how Nick Foles handles the playoffs.  He could be a reasonable option.

Key word in your post? "Could". This isn't a team that can afford coulds and maybes. This is a team that needs a proven starter regardless of cost.  I think it's understood from ownership down within the organization and throughout the fan base we must win in 2018. Having salary cap concerns now in signing Cousins is just a non issue. Bringing in Alex Smith I'm quite sure if he came we could get an extension in place. There is absolutely no sensible path forward that doesn't involve pushing hard for one of these guys. 

53 minutes ago, LondonBrown said:

Would be a dream, he always seems to give his QB a great chance of succeeding. 

The polar opposite to our current HC

Exactly 

7 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Key word in your post? "Could". This isn't a team that can afford coulds and maybes. This is a team that needs a proven starter regardless of cost.  I think it's understood from ownership down within the organization and throughout the fan base we must win in 2018. Having salary cap concerns now in signing Cousins is just a non issue. Bringing in Alex Smith I'm quite sure if he came we could get an extension in place. There is absolutely no sensible path forward that doesn't involve pushing hard for one of these guys. 

I tend to agree but my main concern is backing up the Brinks truck and still not having enough talent to make it matter.

1 minute ago, BaconHound said:

I tend to agree but my main concern is backing up the Brinks truck and still not having enough talent to make it matter.

Bottom line if you want a proven FQB you pay them....... A LOT :) We have more than enough cap. In addition we have the draft assets to acquire a plethora of elite weapons AND a QB who falls in the draft. 

Just now, jcam222 said:

Bottom line if you want a proven FQB you pay them....... A LOT :) We have more than enough cap. In addition we have the draft assets to acquire a plethora of elite weapons AND a QB who falls in the draft. 

I agree.  But like everything else the Browns do I'm always waiting for it to blow up :D

13 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

WSS

So you're saying that Alex Smith isn't worth as much as Kizer?

I'd take Alex Smith, #1, #4 & #33 and give up #35.

53 minutes ago, Westside Steve said:

I don't want to trade anything of value. If we can overpay one of these bums great. I'd rather take a quarterback at number one and another one in the second round than to trade the second round pick.

WSS

Totally baffled why you wouldnt give anything of value for Cousins or Smith. Both immediately make us better than we've been since the return. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

Alex Smith has one more year left on his contract, so he would have to be traded for.

So what would you give up for a one-year rental for a bridge player?

Since you asked, I give them the pick we got from the Eagles in the second round-it's going to be a low one. Latest on nfl.com says the bidding could get crazy. That pick and a future second is as high as I go. 

I'm not keen on backing up the Brinks for Cousins, and if the bidding gets insane for Smith, I let our designated pinata Kizer start and lose a few more before we throw the rookie into the fray. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Since you asked, I give them the pick we got from the Eagles in the second round-it's going to be a low one. Latest on nfl.com says the bidding could get crazy. That pick and a future second is as high as I go. 

I'm not keen on backing up the Brinks for Cousins, and if the bidding gets insane for Smith, I let our designated pinata Kizer start and lose a few more before we throw the rookie into the fray. 

All three Minnesota Vikings QBs are free agents...

2 minutes ago, jcam222 said:

Totally baffled why you wouldnt give anything of value for Cousins or Smith. Both immediately make us better than we've been since the return. 

Sometimes I think it's been so long since we've seen real football from the Browns that some of us have forgotten what it looks like. 

1 hour ago, hoorta said:

Even IF we somehow get Smith- MHO is we're still taking a QB with the #1 pick. Smith is 33, turns 34 in May- and is the perfect bridge qb to have Darnold (or someone similar) sit behind a year or two to learn the game. 

Regarding drafting QBs, just because you've struck out in the past doesn't mean you don't keep swinging. We haven't drafted a QB high since Tim Couch. That's 19 years ago. I am so freaking tired of shopping the bargain bin. Had Wentz staring us in the face, and we got Corey Cold-hands in return. The Bengals drafted a series of incredible busts high- Dave Kingler and Akilli Smith, until they hit on Carson Palmer. So here's some karma for you- Palmer- USC, Darnold-USC. 

Thankfully,  you're not in charge of the cap either. Cousins is going to demand (and probably get) top 5 qb money, plus a long term contract. Know a big Redskins fan who says Cousins flat out isn't worth what it would cost Washington to resign him. FWIW, Smith will cost around $19 million in a trade in the final year of his contract. The bidding for Cousins will start at $24 million- his current salary. You tell me what the better deal for the Browns is.  :)   

I'll let the draft gurus decide- but one of our second round picks should be plenty to get Smith on the Browns. Don't forget the Chiefs are missing their first round pick this year. Or would you rather get in a bidding war for $150 million (the number I've been hearing)  and marry the team to Cousins for the next 4 years? 

Taking a QB at #1 after trading for Alex Smith assumes that there is a franchise QB among the current prospects.  I'm not convinced that there is.  Not a single one blows scouts away with his skills, leadership, or performance.  As such, selecting a QB with the first pick is perilous.

The Browns have some exciting targets in Gordon, Nojoku and Duke.  Some of their best years will go to waste if the Browns cross their fingers yet again and hope that they hit on a franchise QB in the draft.  Waiting for such a QB to develop, or waiting for one to fall into their lap, just adds years to the rebuild.  Players such as Danny Shelton aren't going to wait when their first chance at free agency occurs - they'll find both big money and a successful team outside of Ohio.

You're right - it is a good thing for you that I'm not in charge of the cap.  That way you can continue to fantasize about what the Browns can acquire NEXT year with all that cash under the cap.  I'm not satisfied with dumpster diving to fill out the roster - that never leads to wins.  I want a roster full of professional football players that know how to win, have a history of winning, and will snap this franchise out of the deadly funk it has been sleepwalking through for the past two decades.  If that requires over-paying to acquire such players, so be it.  The money is there to be spent, and spent to improve the roster.  There are no awards for having the most cap space.  Spend it.

3 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

All three Minnesota Vikings QBs are free agents...

Other than China Doll Bradford, I'm interested.... You have to think they'll be keeping Teddy, and say adios to Sam.... 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Other than China Doll Bradford, I'm interested.... You have to think they'll be keeping Teddy, and say adios to Sam.... 

For one season, I'd consider Bradford.

McCarron might be a free agent too. (Depends on his hearing coming up)

13 minutes ago, Suomi said:

Taking a QB at #1 after trading for Alex Smith assumes that there is a franchise QB among the current prospects.  I'm not convinced that there is.  Not a single one blows scouts away with his skills, leadership, or performance.  As such, selecting a QB with the first pick is perilous.

The Browns have some exciting targets in Gordon, Nojoku and Duke.  Some of their best years will go to waste if the Browns cross their fingers yet again and hope that they hit on a franchise QB in the draft.  Waiting for such a QB to develop, or waiting for one to fall into their lap, just adds years to the rebuild.  Players such as Danny Shelton aren't going to wait when their first chance at free agency occurs - they'll find both big money and a successful team outside of Ohio.

You're right - it is a good thing for you that I'm not in charge of the cap.  That way you can continue to fantasize about what the Browns can acquire NEXT year with all that cash under the cap.  I'm not satisfied with dumpster diving to fill out the roster - that never leads to wins.  I want a roster full of professional football players that know how to win, have a history of winning, and will snap this franchise out of the deadly funk it has been sleepwalking through for the past two decades.  If that requires over-paying to acquire such players, so be it.  The money is there to be spent, and spent to improve the roster.  There are no awards for having the most cap space.  Spend it.

You may not be convinced there's a franchise qb in the 2018 draft- well, I disagree, there's about 3 or maybe 4. Enough of the chickenshit passing on guys to build draft capital. 

Spending all the way to the cap limit means guys like Garrett and Sheldon will surely walk when we can't afford to pay them- because we ate all the cap for a quick fix. That almost never works. I'm not saying don't attract decent vets. I'm saying don't blow 25% of the cap on one player. (Cousins) And for sure don't spend $10 million on guys like Kenny Britt- he sure helped out a ton. 

I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

Archived