THE BROWNS BOARD

Alex smith

Suomi

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ya know what's sad?  The offseasons have been far more interesting than the regular seasons.  .....just sad.

I'm sure QB's like Cousins and Smith are just frothing at the mouth to come to Siberia and play QB.   Perhaps if there was some hope of being a playoff team someone like them would come over...otherwise it would be a last resort type of thing...and it would be quite expensive.  Someone like Josh McCown would be more of a possibility.   But we shall see what Dorsey can do.

I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.               I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'd be absolutely fine with rolling with T.Bridgewater for the season as a bridge QB for whoever the Browns take in the draft.

I'd burn down the Berea complex if the Browns traded the 4th overall pick for a one year rental of Alex Smith.

I'm not sure what you mean by "their 28th pick to get Alex smith?". Are you talking about the Browns pick at the top of the 2nd round, the 33rd overall pick?

Jax has the 28th pick. 

This is going to get very interesting over the next 4 months. I listen to Nathan zegura and matt whilhelm podcast. Nathan is all roses. Matt is a realist. Every caller that calls in is salivating at Smith. I’m only posting after seeing how bad bortles is. If I’m their management with What is out there. I’d consider giving up 28

Below is a post I made on another topic, but it's relevant here:

I tend to agree.  There's no denying Barkley is a special talent, but I just don't know if he's the type of back we need.  I'm not saying he isn't, I just need to delve into his film a bit more.  I want to see the games where he had like 50 yards.  I want to see if he's able to break tackles and get the extra yard or two on 3rd down.  I want to see if he can pick up the blitz and block like an NFL back (something most rookie RB struggle with).  

There's something else to consider too.  Like I said on a previous post, much of our draft will largely depend on the moves we make in free agency.  Specifically, if we trade for or sign Alex Smith, I think drafting Barkley makes a TON of sense.  Anybody remember the two young guys on the Chiefs that tortured so many defenses?  Tyreek Hill and Kareem Hunt.  Perhaps Saquon Barkley and Duke Johnson can be OUR VERSION, and nobody gets the ball to the backs like Alex Smith.  We could have formations with Duke lined up in the slot, and Barkley in the backfield.  Toss in Njoku, Gordon (please God), and Coleman...and that's pretty dang funky.  I'm not sure what to do with the #4 pick (assuming we draft Barkley #1).  Would we still draft a QB because of Smith's age?  Probably.  Or maybe we go QB #1 and get Barkley at #4.  Whatever.  But none of this matters until we lock up Alex Smith, and that's going to be tough.  The Chiefs gave up some valuable resources to move up for Pat Mahomes (I don't remember specifics), so you can bet they're going to be looking for some ammunition in the 2018 draft.  We HAVE the ammunition....now MAKE the deal.  

I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

2 hours ago, jiggins7919 said:

I'm on the "whatever you have to do to get Alex Smith" bandwagon.  I'm thinking one of our high second round picks would start the deal off nicely, and then give them anything else they ask for EXCEPT for the first rounders (duh).  Then we draft Barkley with one of the first rounders, and probably still a QB with the other considering Smith's age.  Your offensive skill players would HOPEFULLY look like this:

Alex Smith, David Njoku, Josh Gordon (please Lord), Corey Coleman, Duke Johnson, Saquon Barkley, and Rashard Higgins (or free agent or draft pick).  Rashard Higgins really should've had a decent season.  Kizer missed that guy SO MANY times, and at least twice in the end zone.  Higgins was also the only guy that ever got yards after the catch.  It wasn't MANY, but it was still SOMETHING.  Haven't seen Coleman get YAC yet, and I'm not talking about his two awful drops right now.  

I am of the thought that Nick Chubb is a better RB than Barkley and will be there beginning of Rd 2. We shall see how his value changes before the draft. There are several decent RBs this year better than visionless Crow. I'd get Fitzpatrick and a QB round 1 and wait on the RB. Of course everything depends upon off season acquisitions before the draft. It's all pure speculation until then.

Getting alex Smith would be such a browns move. 

1. He's expensive. Even if we don't have to trade for him he is going to command 15-20 mil per year. That is 2 top free agents we could have signed with that money.

2. He is a system guy. Alex Smith was terrible for the first 7 years of his career. He had a decent season with Harbaugh and then he landed in the perfect offense for him. He a dink and dunk west coast offense guy. 

3. He is old. He will be 34 next year and his best attribute is his mobility. He's going to lose a step at some point.

4. Has missed games in all but 3 seasons of his career. I can already see how this plays out. He plays a handful of games gets hurt and collects his check just like every other veteran we've brought in

On 1/7/2018 at 7:40 AM, flyingfooldoug said:

Lots of rust not to mention divisive baggage that a young team does not need. 

Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

2 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I am of the thought that Nick Chubb is a better RB than Barkley and will be there beginning of Rd 2. We shall see how his value changes before the draft. There are several decent RBs this year better than visionless Crow. I'd get Fitzpatrick and a QB round 1 and wait on the RB. Of course everything depends upon off season acquisitions before the draft. It's all pure speculation until then.

I'm with you.  I love the value of a RB in the second round, and there's a BUNCH this year.  Chubb, Guice, and Bryce Love will be around there somewhere.  

20 hours ago, hoorta said:

After watching the Jags- Bills game please scratch Bortles and Taylor off as QBs you want to see on the Browns....   

Bortles and Taylor aren't on my list...

18 hours ago, jcam222 said:

I'd give KC the 2nd rounder we got from the Eagles and the 5th rounder of theirs we have IF it's a sign and trade involving at least a 2 year extension.              

I understand the thoughts of QB's not wanting to come here. I truly think we have the ability to promise them a very high powered group of offensive weapons. We will be VERY active in free agency and have draft picks to control the draft. 

Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Price is about right, but I would not hold out for the extension. A second year is guaranteed via the tag.

As for FA recruiting... you can't get specific with your draft or FA plans in your recruiting, so what credibility do you have?

Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

5 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Why would you ever consider putting the franchise tag on Alex Smith?    What would that cost now?  25-30 million? 

I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

27 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

15 minutes ago, hoorta said:

I'll let Tour explain, but Can you even tag a guy who's already under contract? Restructure and trade? Sure. The franchise tag? Only if the Chiefs are hellbent on keeping Smith around. No team in their right mind is going to give them a first round pick for Smith. 

No need to "tag" a player currently under contract.

If we trade we get Smith for one season, 2018, under his current contract, a season in which he is due $20.6mm. If you want him for a 2nd year, and cannot come to terms with him on an extension, you tag him. The tag would be for the 2019 season. Cost would probably be around $26mm for the year. Cap space should certainly not be an issue.

Why would we then tag? Because his replacement is either not yet ready or not yet on the roster.

Certainly would not give KC one of our 1sts for him... at least not straight up. Might some other team, e.g. JAX, give their late first for him? Could be...

36 minutes ago, hoorta said:

My assumption was that Tour was saying: "trade for him for 2018....and when he becomes a FA after 2018...franchise tag him then".  If you franchise tag him, to me that says that "we are going to pay you as if you are one of the 5 best....highest paid QBs in the game". And in no way would I consider Smith to be close to that.   His name ain't Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Ben R., Newton, Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Carr, Wilson etc.  If Smith were to be considered in the Top 15 QBs in the league it would be an upset.  But...he would be a good Bridge QB....and if they trade for him....they should only give up what that is worth (to me a 3rd rounder basically)....and I certainly would not pay him like a Top 5 guy.

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:48 PM, thenew23 said:

I'm all for Smith or Cousins.

KC would save $17 million in cap space by releasing Smith and the full $22 million if they can trade him before his bonus kicks in.

If we get Smith, we still draft a QB at #1, and he sits 2-4 years.

If we get Cousins (odds are much lower), then we don't HAVE to take a QB at 1 bc Kirk would be our starter for 5+ years possibly. The only benefit to still drafting a QB at 1 would be, if all goes well, we shouldn't have another opportunity to draft this high.

Well, Dorsey certainly knows Smith and he knows the Chiefs' organization.

There has been noise the second half of the season about starting the young QB- Patrick Mahomes.  If the organization believes Mahomes is their future QB, I believe they'd give up Smith for a 3rd Rounder.  Why keep him around - on the bench - to maintain / create a(nother) QB controversy.

Smith = Gary Danielson.

Kosar = the QB drafted in the first round this year - either at #1 or #6.

The new QB plays Aaron Rodgers to Brett Favre / Garropollo to Brady. - except the new guy stays and plays in a year or two.  Smith - even if he is still a top-flight player in a couple of years, certainly cannot sustain like Brady.

FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

I could be wrong.....

But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

27 minutes ago, mohican said:

FWIW, I  caught the last 4:53 of the Titans/Chiefs game and I think I heard one of the announcers say "this is Alex Smith's last game as a KC Chief", or something to that effect.  

I could be wrong.....

But is there a "leak" or an assumption that the Chiefs will part ways with Smith, 1 year on contract or no?   

Maybe we could swing a deal like we did with the Texans where they (the Chiefs) give us their 2nd round pick to take Alex Smith's contract.....

He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Divisive baggage amongst who?  Certainly not the players on the team....and not the coaches and GMs who would have advocated for him to be signed.  So where is the divisiveness?   Among a few fans?   Who give a rat's arse about what fans think?   I mean....this is a 1-31 team...any port in the storm that could help could not be ignored.

Nevertheless...I am not an advocate of it, simply because I would rather see a veteran that can "mentor"  a young QB.  That is where I would rather see a Smith here for that sort of thing.  

I'd love to see them bring in a vet like Alex Smith. If they did that, I may have to try some of that Sh it Your Bed hot sauce. 

37 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

He said "this COULD be the last game for Alex Smith in a Chiefs uniform"....he didn't say it definitely would be

but c'mon all points point towards that and his 17 million dollar contract

put simply, if the Chiefs were seriously in the mood to get rid of Alex Smith we'd be crazy to not invest. The chiefs lost that game in spite of how good Alex Smith played. If we did trade for him, you'd want him to hopefully agree to at least two more years under contract though. a potential 2nd round pick for one year on a "rebuilding (god I hate that word)" team is a little meh.

That being said, there's several other teams who will be chomping at the bit if he's up there for trade. The Broncos, Cardinals, Jets, Bills (maybe), and the Colts are all way better situations. I'd love to have smith though. He would bring a two year bridge of much needed solidity at the position.

3 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Agree on the extension. I almost edited my original post to say as much. I think you can dangle the exorbitant cap space and damn near historical draft firepower as a commitment to give the vet QB confidence in a supporting group of players. Hell if he has a FA target in mind let him recruit 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

I know you didn't say it verbatim....I was interpreting it.   But it IS what you said ex post facto....so I know your mind before you do.

Here is what I say directly. YES if he plays to the level of a winning season and you have to tag him to keep him then you tag him. It's plain and simple spend money and win football games. My head as a fan, my wallet as a PSL season ticket holder, the front office, coaches, most of the players and majority of fans understand WE NEED TO ACCUMULATE WINS. If we have to pay Alex Smith $26 million for a season or two to make that happen write the damn checks. When your QB of the future is ready to win it's a different story. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:53 PM, Suomi said:

Continuing to repeat the same thing and expect a different outcome is the definition of insanity.  This applies to the Browns expectation that they can find a franchise quarterback in the draft.  After nearly 20 years of failed attempts the cycle of insanity has to stop.  

I'm a niners fan that "followed" Smith to KC.  KC fans are on the complete opposite side of the spectrum.  Patrick Mahomes week 17 win in a meaningless game was the first win by a KC drafted QB in 2000 years or something.  They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

47 minutes ago, Temper11 said:

They (fans) desperately want to see what their shiny new toy can do and I'm sure that is putting a fair amount of pressure on the KC FO to go with the young gun.  I strongly believe Smith has seen his last snap in a KC uni.

So we sweeten the pot & give KC what most can't..Josh Gordon,Terek Hill, Kelsey..shiney new toy boy needs a weapon 60 yards down field. both contracts would expire after next season.. Gordon makes nothing but just over a million..we can't name a Jags WR they would part with..Go Bull Dawgs!!     

Archived