THE BROWNS BOARD

Which draftable QB has the best mechanics?

Orion

5 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

But wouldn't holding the ball too low be the cause of the "wind up and pitch" delivery?

Highly doubtful in Darnold's case because he starts it with a sternum high "pat" and then drops it. That is he starts in the correct position, but takes the wrong path.

This as opposed to Kizer who fell into the bad habit his last season at ND of holding the ball low (below chest high) in one hand. Prior to The Combine he worked with George WhatsHisFace, the QB guru. By simply correcting his starting point to two hands on the ball at sternum height and associating that with the proper ball path to the throwing position,  his looping windup disappeared.

That said, as soon as Kizer had to move the left hand came off the ball and the loop came back. It's the reversion under pressure Orion mentioned.

Worst wind up ever? Former MLB pitching prospect Brandon "Wheezy" Weedon. Ball dropped down from his chest to thigh high at times.

On 1/6/2018 at 12:22 AM, LogicIsForSquares said:

You aren’t that new here haha. It is QB/draft season for Browns fans. Happens every year.

Yeah but I didn't check the board for like 3 days and I came back to probably 7 QB threads. That's not normal.

• 2 months later...

It's a couple months later........and I think I STILL want the QB with the best mechanics.

Rosen = best mechanics

Mayfield = most accurate

Darnald = most lovable

Allen = strongest arm

4 minutes ago, Orion said:

It's a couple months later........and I think I STILL want the QB with the best mechanics.

Rosen = best mechanics

Mayfield = most accurate

Donald = most lovable by Daisy

Allen = strongest arm

FIFY:P

43 minutes ago, Orion said:

Rosen = best mechanics

Mayfield = most accurate

Darnald = most lovable

Allen = strongest arm

I know it was just in a t-shirt, but if you saw Mayfield hitting targets with Ladanian Tomlinson it was damn impressive accuracy. & yeah I know- Wheezy could bust clay pigeons on the fly....  

then there's Faulk who has excellent mechanics...

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/2/27/17052964/2018-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-luke-falk-qb-washington-state-scouting-report-ny-giants

Pros

• Solid mechanics and has a quick release.
  • Generally an accurate quarterback who makes sound decisions.
  • Isn’t affraid
  • Experienced QB, who has been a starter since 2014, and set records in Washington State’s offense
  • Flashes the ability to throw with touch, timing, and anticipation

Cons

• Questionable arm strength. Throws lack “zip” and he often under-throws on deep routes.
  • Occasionally questionable decision making or field vision.
  • Bad habit of staring down receivers when he is “pressing”, trying to make a play.
  • Slender build and has been hit a lot in Washington State’s pass-happy offense. Durability could be a concern.
  • “Spread” quarterback who will face a learning curve at the next level.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/josh-rosen?id=2560059

Weaknesses

Durability is a concern. Carries slight build and has had injury issues dating back to high school. Carries ball low in pocket with slight upward pre-throw hitch. Too casual in pocket set-up. Decision making and post-snap reads are inconsistent. Refuses easy throws at times. Arm talent and strength are below average. May need to make greater effort to drive field and seam throws. Poor career deep ball completion rate. Excess air under ball allows challenges. Lacks gun to challenge safeties with rip throws over the top. Needs better anticipation. Poor mobility. Struggles to elude early pressure. Completed just 42.4 percent of his throws when forced to move. Too much hero ball. Extends plays and takes unnecessary chances rather than throwing it away. Scouts question his passion for football and whether he will be a willing student.

Draft Projection

Round 1

Sources Tell Us

"He wasn't the guy everyone rallied around in college and you don't have to dig around for too long to find people who said he was hard to coach. He's definitely talented. Nobody questions that. But he's going to have to get grown men to buy into him as their leader. That is not a given." -- NFL Executive

NFL Comparison

Trent Green

Bottom Line

Josh Rosen's footwork and mechanics make him as pretty a quarterback as you will find in this year's draft. The biggest concern with Rosen is that his on-field success requires many elements to stay on schedule. He lacks plus arm strength, so identifying coverage (pre- and post-snap) and throwing with anticipation takes on added importance. Rosen has the pocket poise, accuracy and intelligence to become a good NFL starter, but he needs to be willing to take what defenses give him more frequently. Rosen will need to quell concerns surrounding leadership and coachability early on in order to establish a strong first impression and get his career off on the right foot.

16 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Patrick Mahomes’ mechanics needed fixing. The Chiefs are doing it.

...and we'll be seeing how that works out.

Rosen and it's not close.  He's the pick at #1.  I felt this way after the usc game,  feel it more now. 

His arm strength is very good.  He threw three bombs in a row at the combine right in stride. He's made big throws all year. 

Most execs that met with him said he's the most advanced by far, and impressed the most.  He understands the game more than the others. 

14 hours ago, Orion said:

Rosen = best mechanics

Mayfield = most accurate

Darnald = most lovable

Allen = strongest arm

Darnold has a face only a mother could love....so I don't get that one.

18462839_usc-oc-tee-martin-blames-offens

3 hours ago, tiamat63 said:

Given the senior bowl practices and at times when you just see Allen 'scanning' for an open receiver... evidence does tend to point towards Rosen mechanically and mentally. 

oh, it's true his mechanics are there above the rest - everybody admits it. I'm just not a fan of the whole picture, that's all. It's going to be interesting watching how it all plays out.

6 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Darnold has a face only a mother could love....so I don't get that one.

He's the quiet leader.  Squeaky clean off the field.  A son any mother would love.  

I like him.  Reminds me a bit of McCown.  Finds a way to win.  Not the best mechanics.  He's working with Jordan Parmer.  His Pro Day will be something to attend.  (fortunately Farmer is no longer here.  He wouldn't see any need to go.)  

14 hours ago, Orion said:

He's the quiet leader.  Squeaky clean off the field.  A son any mother would love.  

I like him.  Reminds me a bit of McCown.  Finds a way to win.  Not the best mechanics.  He's working with Jordan Parmer.  His Pro Day will be something to attend.  (fortunately Farmer is no longer here.  He wouldn't see any need to go.)  

Yea, OK, but:

Archived