THE BROWNS BOARD

Which draftable QB has the best mechanics?

Orion

I want a big, tall, strong QB with a strong arm.   But mechanics are important.....and it's AWFULLY hard (if not impossible) to train into a QB at this point in his career.  

Tebow had the motion of a starting pitcher.....and they worked HARD to train that out of him but when the game got going he was back on the mound with nobody on base.

If it's Rosen that looks like he was born to be an NFL QB...then that's who I want to roll the dice on.

I'm thinking that our new 'football' people that the building in Berea is being stocked with will be looking for 2 QB's.  A veteran to start and an incredibly high draft pick (#1 I would bet) to groom as the future franchise QB.  -  No rushing the draft pick onto the field.  He can learn the nuances of playing under center, reading defenses, etc., even tweaking footwork or motion....but major mechanical flaws in a QB's motion will be there forever IMO....so I want the guy who needs the least tweaking to look like an NFL passer.

Who meets that criteria?

---------- ps...what a friggin' snow storm we had here in New England today.  I'm friggin' beat!  

Between Rosen and Darnold, it isn't even close.... Rosen looks like he was made in a lab, and Darnold looks like he taught himself. 

8" of your storm hit here in NC last night O.. State left us with 4 snow plows & 2 trucks throwing Beach Sand for salt trucks..try delivering mail in this crap'olla..Who's are new OC Orion? think 3 been interviewed but not feeling any can help? We need a play caller, That actually calls plays to our QB's game..We got big, tall,strong, with strong arm in Kizer'zilla.. Rosen won't make week 1 in Hue's playbook & Hue needs to butt totally out of it..Darnold can't tuck a ball nor take hits like that buckeye game..The new OC may tell us something? but damn Watson did not turn into to Watson again till his coach let him run some of his college offense..Almost the same with Wentz with what Doug Peterson did also. 

19 minutes ago, D Bone said:

Rosen looks like he was made in a lab, and Darnold looks like he taught himself.

That's what I'm talkin ' bout.  

4 minutes ago, gumby73 said:

8" of your storm hit here in NC last night.. State left us with 4 snow plows & 2 trucks throwing Beach Sand for salt trucks..try delivering mail in this crap'olla..Who's are new OC Orion? think 3 been interviewed but not feeling any can help? We need a play caller, That actually calls plays to our QB's game..We got big, tall,strong, with strong arm in Kizer'zilla.. Rosen won't make week 1 in Hue's playbook & Hue needs to butt totally out of it..Darnold can't tuck a ball nor take hits like that buckeye game..The new OC may tell us something? but damn Watson did not turn into to Watson again till his coach let him run some of his college offense..Almost the same with Wentz with what Doug Peterson did also 

While snow throwing my back patio for doggie...in 20 minutes time I bound the auger with the plastic covering the wood pile, cut it out, a ROPE that somehow got back there, cut it out, and a BRICK that was holding down the plastic covering the wood pile got wedged in the auger that I had to pry and bang with a hammer for 10 minutes to get loose.  I was a one man comedy routine.

You're right, Kizer is a big strong drink of water with a big arm.  And who really knows, he could BE the guy we've been looking for.  If you look back in time MANY QB's had horrendous first season.  And although we're bringing in an OC, I'm betting he's just a puppet (or coffee fetcher as people like to say).  Hue will be calling the plays I guarantee.  

4 hours ago, Orion said:

I want a big, tall, strong QB with a strong arm.   But mechanics are important.....and it's AWFULLY hard (if not impossible) to train into a QB at this point in his career.  

Tebow had the motion of a starting pitcher.....and they worked HARD to train that out of him but when the game got going he was back on the mound with nobody on base.

If it's Rosen that looks like he was born to be an NFL QB...then that's who I want to roll the dice on.

I'm thinking that our new 'football' people that the building in Berea is being stocked with will be looking for 2 QB's.  A veteran to start and an incredibly high draft pick (#1 I would bet) to groom as the future franchise QB.  -  No rushing the draft pick onto the field.  He can learn the nuances of playing under center, reading defenses, etc., even tweaking footwork or motion....but major mechanical flaws in a QB's motion will be there forever IMO....so I want the guy who needs the least tweaking to look like an NFL passer.

Who meets that criteria?

---------- ps...what a friggin' snow storm we had here in New England today.  I'm friggin' beat!  

To somewhat placate Cal- I watched a breakdown of Josh Allen's mechanics. I don't get into that much detail, but the QB geeks can comment...   

59 minutes ago, tiamat63 said:

Benkert.  

After we take our guy #1 overall, Benkert in the 4th round.....  per Walter Football. BTW, he'll play in the Senior Bowl along with Mayfield. That's gonna be must see TV.   

1/4/18: A general manager told WalterFootball.com that Benkert was a player who intrigued them and that they were going to be studying him some more. Benkert completed 59 percent of his passes in 2017 for 3,207 yards with 25 touchdowns and nine interceptions. He accepted an invitation to play in the Senior Bowl. 

Benkert has enough size and above-average arm strength. While he isn't a great athlete, he has mobility and can extend plays with his feet. Benkert has very impressive deep ball accuracy with the ability to make some phenomenal throws off platform. Benkert will work through his progressions, but he needs to get faster at that and improve his field vision for the NFL. Benkert needs to improve on his feet, but a good NFL coach could fix that. Obviously, working under center and transitioning to a pro system will be a work in progress. The senior is a player to study and consider in the months to come.
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/draft2018QB.php#8XLVsBUTgvzZG8hP.99

Benkert's mechanics flat smacked me in the face when I first saw him this year. The criticism that he has to increase his speed through his reads/progressions is laughable as it is true of every QB prospect moving to the next level. At least Kurt has made reads and gone thru progressions at UVA... which is more than most of the top prospects can say.

While I've not side-by-sided them, my impression is that Rosen's mechanics are equal to or better than Kurt's. In part this is due to the shear effortlessness with which he makes every throw and Josh can make every throw. He is the best pure passer I have seen since Andrew Luck.

Third? Surprisingly, even to me, is Mayfield. Some of this impression is a product of all the time he seems to have and the relative "openness" of his receivers, but his action from the pocket is pretty damn good and his TOR mechanics are probably the best in this class.

39 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Benkert's mechanics flat smacked me in the face when I first saw him this year. The criticism that he has to increase his speed through his reads/progressions is laughable as it is true of every QB prospect moving to the next level. At least Kurt has made reads and gone thru progressions at UVA... which is more than most of the top prospects can say.

While I've not side-by-sided them, my impression is that Rosen's mechanics are equal to or better than Kurt's. In part this is due to the shear effortlessness with which he makes every throw and Josh can make every throw. He is the best pure passer I have seen since Andrew Luck.

Third? Surprisingly, even to me, is Mayfield. Some of this impression is a product of all the time he seems to have and the relative "openness" of his receivers, but his action from the pocket is pretty damn good and his TOR mechanics are probably the best in this class.

I'll convert you to Camp Mayfield yet Tour.  I iz seein' Drew Brees. :)  Right now I have Baker as a lock top 10 pick. Hell, Mahomes went #10. Regarding Benkert, he had a bad Bowl game, which I won't hold against him (ditto Darnold). We'll still have the Senior Bowl, must see TV https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites.php  and the Combine to sort things out. 

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

... and the Combine to sort things out. 

Things like: how tall is Mayfield really? ;)

No chance on me converting. Too many other unchecked boxes with Baker...

2 hours ago, hoorta said:

I'll convert you to Camp Mayfield yet Tour.  I iz seein' Drew Brees. :)  Right now I have Baker as a lock top 10 pick. Hell, Mahomes went #10. Regarding Benkert, he had a bad Bowl game, which I won't hold against him (ditto Darnold). We'll still have the Senior Bowl, must see TV https://www.seniorbowl.com/accepted-invites.php  and the Combine to sort things out. 

Open for bets regarding Bakers career being no where near Brees.  Including Mayfields longevity as a starting QB.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

and the Combine to sort things out. 

Does the combine give us much info on QB's anymore?  It seems that the top prospects don't do anything at the combine these days.

Darnold has a noticeable hitch in his throwing motion.

He drops the ball down to his waist (could be the reason for all the fumbles) instead of keeping it up near his chest, then winds up and throws passes like he's a baseball pitcher.

He needs to clean this up.

50 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

He drops the ball down to his waist (could be the reason for all the fumbles) instead of keeping it up near his chest, then winds up and throws passes like he's a baseball pitcher.

Saw that too. I am not getting the Darnold hype at all.

22 minutes ago, wargograw said:

Why do we have so many QB threads?

Because the Silly Season has just begun War. Like we're not drafting one high? Damn, the real mud slinging hasn't even started yet..... 

Us Mods will try to keep the assorted  "Camps" in one QB love fest thread specific to the love boat.. So we have Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen (barf- I'm entitled to MHO there) Rudolph, Benkert- SO FAR. 

1 minute ago, hoorta said:

Because the Silly Season has just begun War. Like we're not drafting one high? Damn, the real mud slinging hasn't even started yet..... 

Us Mods will try to keep the assorted  "Camps" in one QB love fest thread. So we have Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield, Allen (barf- I'm entitled to MHO there) Rudolph, Benkert- SO FAR. 

I will make my Lamar Jackson thread shortly. I will make sure to pick a different QB to crap on across several threads as well.

9 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I will make my Lamar Jackson thread shortly. I will make sure to pick a different QB to crap on across several threads as well.

Duly noted, but be aware I'm not fond of Lamar, but if you think he's "The Guy" be my guest, it will take a lot of convincing.. 

What's pissing us Mods off is someone is already so enamored of a QB- he finds it necessary to denigrate other (very obvious) potential #1 picks.  :)   

Just now, hoorta said:

Duly noted, but be aware I'm not fond of Lamar, but if you think he's "The Guy" be my guest, it will take a lot of convincing.. 

What's pissing us Mods off is someone is already so enamored of a QB- he finds it necessary to denigrate another (very obvious) potential #1 pick.  :)   

I am not enamored with any QB so far. That was a joke more than anything. I do intend on trying to sit down and watch film on all of these guys to narrow down who I don’t want. Allen so far to Cal’s dismay haha.

Jackson may just end up being someone I could tolerate early 2nd round. Or could be a complete dud upon further review.

3 minutes ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I am not enamored with any QB so far. That was a joke more than anything. I do intend on trying to sit down and watch film on all of these guys to narrow down who I don’t want. Allen so far to Cal’s dismay haha.

Jackson may just end up being someone I could tolerate early 2nd round. Or could be a complete dud upon further review.

I think Gipper said it best- and I've said the same thing- we can argue for the next 3+ months who the Browns should draft- and it's not going to make a damn bit of difference. I already have my faves and barf list at the ready- doesn't mean I can't change my mind...   

7 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Saw that too. I am not getting the Darnold hype at all.

I do like Darnold.

I like his size, his arm, his ability to make NFL throws (throwing people open, making tough throws into small windows, etc) and while he's obviously not Lamar Jackson, Darnold has the ability to pick up yards given to him, and to be able to move around the pocket to avoid the rush. (A statue would have ended up on a stretcher vs Ohio State in the Cotton Bowl) He seems like a good leader and good teammate.

But he's so much a work in process. He's not at Rosen's level now. Darnold should have gone back to USC, and I'm saying this knowing there's a great chance he's taken in the top 5.

8 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I'm just not so sure that things like that actually get 'cleaned up'.  Sure, they'll work on it...and he might get better at it in practice and drills......but once the games start and he's in the heat of battle they tend to go right back to what they always, kind of naturally, did.   

29 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm just not so sure that things like that actually get 'cleaned up'.  Sure, they'll work on it...and he might get better at it in practice and drills......but once the games start and he's in the heat of battle they tend to go right back to what they always, kind of naturally, did.   

Sitting behind Favre for three years helped, but Aaron Rodgers reworked his delivery.

QBs holding the ball too low is a common problem that can be fixed. Its not like he's Bernie Kosar trying to go from throwing side arm to throwing completely overhand like Peyton Manning.

24 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

QBs holding the ball too low is a common problem that can be fixed.

But the 'Wind up and the pitch' are harder to fix.  I'd prefer someone who's got the most correct mechanical things already ingrained into their persona.

26 minutes ago, Orion said:

But the 'Wind up and the pitch' are harder to fix.  I'd prefer someone who's got the most correct mechanical things already ingrained into their persona.

But wouldn't holding the ball too low be the cause of the "wind up and pitch" delivery? Because the ball is around his waist, it has to be raised way up, like he's a baseball pitcher?

If it is something difficult to fix (almost hard-wired which is what I think you are saying) then this would be something the Browns need to consider.

I think that if Lamar Jackson lands with the right team, a team whose starter has a similar skill set, e.g., Seattle or Buffalo, then he has a shot at developing into a starter level NFL QB.

7 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Darnold should have gone back to USC, and I'm saying this knowing there's a great chance he's taken in the top 5.

That's why he came out. Top 5 $$$...

Archived