THE BROWNS BOARD

About evaluating quarterbacks.

calfoxwc

Josh Allen is still my qb pick for the Browns - except they need to bring in a veteran qb regardless. If they plan on drafting and STARTING the qb... it would be Darnold, but I wouldn't go there.

Darnold doesn't seem to understand ball security in traffic. The many fumbles... I don't get that. Floats a lot of passes...Mayfield lives on emotions, some bad,and acts out on them - don't think he will be changing that in the NFL. I like a lot of things about Rudolph - but he seems to be more a spread offense star. and don't get me started on Rosen.

Here's an interesting bit:

" It’s no secret: UCLA Football’s offense struggled in 2016. Following a failed attempt to switch to an exclusive pro-style offense, Offensive Coordinator Kennedy Polamalu was fired. "

That's UCLA. Josh Rosen, the hippo's asswhole personality. Is that all on the qb? who knows. not me. I don't have any use for rosen, and I think less of him in the draft now.

https://gojoebruin.com/2017/04/03/what-will-offense-look-like-2017/

Check this out: 

Weaknesses

Benefits from an offense that is predicated on simplified reads. Offense able to create wide-open receivers after busted coverages at times. Needs to improve resetting feet when maneuvering pocket to improve accuracy and power. Tends to "see" pass rush too often. Will drop eyes and look to escape pocket rather than stepping to available pocket space. Frequent trips outside pocket increase opportunity for injury. Pocket feel is very average. Stepped into sacks he had no business taking. Didn't have to throw to tight windows often. Average processor on field. Still learning when to get rid of the ball and move to next play. Slow to make anticipatory throws and can improve patience in allowing combo routes to mature rather than rushing the read. Missed obvious pre-snap blitzes. Drive accuracy needs work. When cutting it loose, ball tends to sail on him a bit. Arm strength is adequate but inconsistent to field side. Needs to bring hips through throws to increase zip into tight windows in NFL. Fumbled 27 times during his career.

Is that Darnold? nope. USC runs a spread, with more smash running, and whatever else it does. Is that Rudolph? some of it could be. Actually, it's about Marcus Mariotta, from one of his draft profiles

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/marcus-mariota?id=2552466

let's do another one:

Weaknesses

Decision making not consistent with his football intelligence. Will throw into impossible windows rather than taking safe throw underneath. Elongated windup and release allows instinctive defenders to close on throws. Was too easily baited into dangerous throws. Struggled with intermediate passing game in 2014, completing 56.8 percent of his passes with FBS-leading 11 interceptions in that range. Still learning nuances of position and how to move and hold defenders with his eyes. Would sleepwalk through first half of many games. Inconsistent footwork and weight transfer caused balls to sail. Prone to emotional outbursts on field. Quality of decision-making drops off substantially when pocket becomes turbulent and he's forced to leave it. Lacks athleticism to extend plays for very long outside of the pocket. Off-the-field character and ability to lead on NFL level are his primary obstacles, according to NFL evaluators.

Okay, who is that? Nope, not Kizer, lol. It's Jameis Winston of the same draft as Mariotta.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/jameis-winston?id=2552485

one more?

guess who this is:

Weaknesses: Did not face much top competition in college. Not completely polished. Must improve on deep throws. Threw 4 INTs against Iowa in team's only loss last season.

Prediction: Originally projected as top 5 pick, he could slip - but probably not too far. If Cardinals (3) and Giants (4) pass, somebody might trade up to take him.

Maybe I won't tell ya. Nah, that is actually a predraft blurb on a qb's weaknesses. Bent Rapistbooger. Wait, dammit, I just lost the link for that one. It wasn't easy to find, either.

The point is - the qb you pick isn't going to be perfect. Ryan Leaf and Jeff George probably had great things in their profiles...Just find the guy you believe in 100 percent, and draft him to be your guy to lead your offense. Which qb has the physical tools, and the emotional makeup, and the character to lead and inspire your football team, all the way to the super bowl?

I pick Josh Allen. He isn't perfect - but he played in a pro style offense that Wentz did, and that Rosen and co. couldn't make work... and he picked the Wyoming football offense on his shoulders and went to the bowl game and won it.

I would never have drafted Winston - and would never have started Mariotta his rookie year. Right now, I would draft Josh Allen with the

first pick, and trade #4 down, oh, I don't know - to the Bills who need a qb? With the Bill's 17 and 25 picks in the first round, and their three picks in the second round, and whatever else picks they would get, like a #1 next year, etc etc. you could add cb's, wr's, a RT, lb/rb and completely fix your football team.

Just what I think - just find your qb and then go from there. the face and leader of your offense. - but it doesn't matter - without making a splash in wr, no qb will be able to be successful.

45 minutes ago, calfoxwc said:

Josh Allen is still my qb pick for the Browns - except they need to bring in a veteran qb regardless. If they plan on drafting and STARTING the qb... it would be Darnold, but I wouldn't go there.

Maybe I won't tell ya. Nah, that is actually a predraft blurb on a qb's weaknesses. Bent Rapistbooger. Wait, dammit, I just lost the link for that one. It wasn't easy to find, either.

The point is - the qb you pick isn't going to be perfect. Ryan Leaf and Jeff George probably had great things in their profiles...Just find the guy you believe in 100 percent, and draft him to be your guy to lead your offense. Which qb has the physical tools, and the emotional makeup, and the character to lead and inspire your football team, all the way to the super bowl?

I pick Josh Allen. He isn't perfect - but he played in a pro style offense that Wentz did, and that Rosen and co. couldn't make work... and he picked the Wyoming football offense on his shoulders and went to the bowl game and won it.

God bless ya!  That entire part in bold sent Diet Pepsi through my nostrils.

3 hours ago, calfoxwc said:

Is that all on the qb? who knows. not me.

I do and it's not... and that's not even considering that Rosen only played in 6 games in 2016. If the 2016 failure was attributable to one person, it was the Pro-style OC.

Had you read beyond paragraph two, the one you quoted to support "your case" against Rosen, which BTW it did poorly if at all, then you'd have found where the writer laid blame...

" Last season proved that UCLA doesn’t have the appropriate personnel to run out of the I-Formation every play."

That's not a QB centered comment.

Good stuff Calfoxwc, Overall though I think evaluating QB's relative to how they will translate to the NFL is on par with finding the Holy Grail. If anyone ever had the talent to truly do this consistently they would have the highest salary of any job available in the world lol. 

It is 100% why I am far more comfortable with us buying an established "decent" proven NFL QB and surrounding him with elite talent as opposed to  drafting a POSSIBLY great prospect. 

5 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I do and it's not... and that's not even considering that Rosen only played in 6 games in 2016. If the 2016 failure was attributable to one person, it was the Pro-style OC.

Had you read beyond paragraph two, the one you quoted to support "your case" against Rosen, which BTW it did poorly if at all, then you'd have found where the writer laid blame...

" Last season proved that UCLA doesn’t have the appropriate personnel to run out of the I-Formation every play."

That's not a QB centered comment.

I read the whole thing. Here's the kicker - it's dumb to use the "appropriate personnel" rationalization for rosen,

but NOT for Allen. See what I did there?  Why, you'd think rosie would "elevate the level of play" of everybody around him, him allegedly bein so speshul and all.

I don't believe any case can be made that Wyoming had better personnel for a pro style offense than UCLA. They just had

an outstanding coach and a very smart, coachable, tough qb who can run and throw the ball like an Elway.

Entitlement rich punk rosie doesn't want to play for us in Cleveland anyways. We won't draft him. Don't worry, be happy.

19 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I put my proposed bet with you on the other thread. Allen has NFL bust written all over him.

and I answered that on the other thread, rosen is a schmuck compared to Darnold, Allen, Rudolph, Jackson and most qb's.

Archived