THE BROWNS BOARD

Alonzo Highsmith - VP of Football Operations

sdballis

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21946516/alonzo-highsmith-join-cleveland-browns-vice-president-football-operations

Alonzo Highsmith climbed the ranks of the Green Bay Packers personnel department in his 19 years with the team, but the senior personnel executive won't be in the mix for the team's vacant general manager job.

He told ESPN.com on Tuesday night that he will join the Cleveland Browns as vice president of football operations. The move reunites Highsmith with new Browns GM John Dorsey, the former Packers director of college scouting.

The 52-year-old Highsmith said he did not think he would be considered as a replacement for Packers GM Ted Thompson, who will not return in that role next season.

"We discussed so many ideas and all kinds of stuff," Highsmith said in a phone interview from Cleveland. "I was exposed to so much stuff today. That's why I thought it was as great opportunity. It feels good to go somewhere that you feel like you're trusted."

Highsmith on Monday was granted permission by the Packers to interview with the Browns and flew to Cleveland on Tuesday. He spent the day watching film with Dorsey and meeting with the Browns' staff, including owner Jimmy Haslam.

"This is an opportunity to build something from the ground up, having an input, working with John Dorsey, who I respect a great deal," Highsmith said. "To watch his work ethic today -- we watched film all day. He made me feel rejuvenated. It was a lot of fun today.

"I understand they've had their difficulties in the past, but I kind of feel like when I went to the University of Miami. Every recruiter from Alabama to Notre Dame to Michigan told me if you go to Miami, you'll never go to a bowl game. We became a dominant program. It kind of feels like that all over again, and that's my mindset. I've never lost, and I don't plan on losing now."

The third overall pick in the 1987 NFL draft as a running back from Miami, Highsmith worked his way up the ranks of the Packers' personnel department. Hall of Fame GM Ron Wolf hired him as a college scout in 1999, and he was promoted by Thompson to his current position in 2012. Along with Eliot Wolf and Brian Gutekunst, Highsmith as one of Thompson's top advisors.

Highsmith is best known for convincing the Packers to draft Donald Driver in the seventh round out of Alcorn State in 1999 and discovering undrafted free agent Sam Shields in 2010. Driver became the Packers' all-time leading receiver, and Shields went on to make the Pro Bowl in 2014.

"It was a great 19 years," Highsmith said. "I hope I did my part for the Packers to make them better. Now I'm gone and you know what, I won't be the last guy."

In fact, it's possible Wolf or Gutekunst -- or both -- could leave Green Bay if they don't end up as Thompson's replacement. Packers president Mark Murphy said Tuesday that he understood the risk that he could lose some of the team's top scouts if they don't get the general manager job.

"We've got some good people here and you don't want to lose 'em," Murphy said. "But I also think the most important thing is getting the right person."

First of all: I don't care about the names, just make it work.

Now, can somebody tell me if a GM's or a VP of Football Operations' first task is watching film? 

I know way less than you do, guys, but I imagine myself as GM and I thought that you have to delegate on your scouting team, to have time to set up short and midterm strategies both for FA and the draft and coming years, try to get info on other teams, study your own roster... Just to have a global overview and use the info provided by your scouts the best way possible. 

I'm not saying that they shouldn't watch film, hell, I think they should after scouts reporting them, but first thing when coming to a new team???

47 minutes ago, Nero said:

Now, can somebody tell me if a GM's or a VP of Football Operations' first task is watching film? 

I know way less than you do, guys, but I imagine myself as GM and I thought that you have to delegate on your scouting team, to have time to set up short and midterm strategies both for FA and the draft and coming years, try to get info on other teams, study your own roster... Just to have a global overview and use the info provided by your scouts the best way possible. 

I'm not saying that they shouldn't watch film, hell, I think they should after scouts reporting them, but first thing when coming to a new team???

I would believe they were watching Browns tape. Before dealing with free agency and the draft you need to decide who stays and who can go, and where your strengths and weaknesses are. Going to a new team means you need to understand what you have first amd foremost, just like any other business.

Overall, I think it's a good hire. We will see what these guys can do...

1 hour ago, thenew23 said:

I would believe they were watching Browns tape. Before dealing with free agency and the draft you need to decide who stays and who can go, and where your strengths and weaknesses are. Going to a new team means you need to understand what you have first amd foremost, just like any other business.

Overall, I think it's a good hire. We will see what these guys can do...

Besides studying the Browns roster- Tour put this really well- Dorsey is tasked with (finally) finding the Browns franchise QB. Breaking down film on the top 10 QB prospects as GM\ super scout? Sure, but you've got to delegate to others when you're evaluating day three picks. Maybe Highsmith will have a say there. It would really help finally getting lucky and finding a Donald Driver or Marques Colston in the seventh round. 

4 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

You can turn around a program pretty fast mining talent I late rounds.

The Giants were great at doing that during the Super Bowl years as of late.

Can you get it turned around when the owner put conditions on the GM besides "build me a winner"?

Dorsey has a huebatross around his neck and now it's

Hue wants to hire his OC

Dorsey wants to hire the OC

JimmyDee  is the real problem here... GO AWAY!

The gints allow their FO to operate as it should.. They become winners before we do.

33 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Let Huey pick his OC.

Then, there are no excuses if things dont go right. If Dorsey gets enough of his people in Cleveland Huey will be outnumbered anyway.

This. If Hue picks the OC and it all goes down in flames, he will have no one left to blame but himself. Makes it easier for Jimmah to let go of him.

Am I the only one to note that there is nothing in the article that suggests scouting is Highsmith's "strength"? Unless you think ID'ing two players late in the draft process over a 12 year span is "great scouting" I don't see how you might conclude otherwise.

But Lonzo is a "football guy" for sure...

13 hours ago, Nero said:

You've got the right take... "watching film", as in scouting players for the draft, is likely about job 3 or 4. And then it's primarily looking at tape of players scouting brings to them.

First and foremost Execs have to tend to their people... their development... their evaluation. Then, as you point out, they think on the strategic level a lot, but are also point men for tactical action alignment with the strategic goals.

An excerpt from a little side article google pulled up. I'd forgotten that Highsmith boxed.

Kosar connection joins Browns

By Steve Doerschuk - CantonRep.com sports writer

Posted Jan 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Highsmith’s breakout year as a Miami Hurricane was as the 1984 rushing leader for a team quarterbacked by Bernie Kosar. Kosar went to the Browns in 1985 and may have an expanding role in the current organization.

Highsmith was a running back for the Houston Oilers and other NFL teams before becoming a pro boxer, compiling a record of 27-1-1, including a knockout of fellow former NFL player Mark Gastineau.

You can bet Kosar and Highsmith have talked about Gastineau’s late hit that paved the way for Kosar’s Browns to win a historic playoff game over the Jets.

http://www.timesreporter.com/sports/20180102/kosar-connection-joins-browns

14 hours ago, sdballis said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21946516/alonzo-highsmith-join-cleveland-browns-vice-president-football-operations

"This is an opportunity to build something from the ground up, having an input, working with John Dorsey

#1 these guy's need to be able to hire their own coach

#2 haslem needs to stay away from the team and let these two do their jobs cause as long as he is hanging around nothing will get accomplished 

8 hours ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Can you get it turned around when the owner put conditions on the GM besides "build me a winner"?

Dorsey has a huebatross around his neck and now it's

Hue wants to hire his OC

Dorsey wants to hire the OC

JimmyDee  is the real problem here... GO AWAY!

The gints allow their FO to operate as it should.. They become winners before we do.

LOL!!! We have a winner!!! Huebatross. I LIKE it.  :D  

1 hour ago, Tour2ma said:

An excerpt from a little side article google pulled up. I'd forgotten that Highsmith boxed.

Kosar connection joins Browns

By Steve Doerschuk - CantonRep.com sports writer

Posted Jan 2, 2018 at 5:20 PM

Highsmith’s breakout year as a Miami Hurricane was as the 1984 rushing leader for a team quarterbacked by Bernie Kosar. Kosar went to the Browns in 1985 and may have an expanding role in the current organization.

Highsmith was a running back for the Houston Oilers and other NFL teams before becoming a pro boxer, compiling a record of 27-1-1, including a knockout of fellow former NFL player Mark Gastineau.

You can bet Kosar and Highsmith have talked about Gastineau’s late hit that paved the way for Kosar’s Browns to win a historic playoff game over the Jets.

http://www.timesreporter.com/sports/20180102/kosar-connection-joins-browns

Well....here is something, since they are close, possibly.....why don't  Dorsey and Highsmith bring Bernie on board at least as a consultant....to give them ideas on which QBs they should be looking at seriously.

Recall that the Browns did this one time with Paul Warfield.  Hired him temporarily, specifically to find a quality WR for the team.   And if you recall, he recommendation  was Webster Slaughter.     So, why can't BK be a QB consultant?   Would anyone be surprised if that were to happen?

I would because "SuperScout"...

You don't call in a special consultant unless you are prepared to heed his advice. I see nothing in "Football-Guy" Dorsey (FGD) to suggest he would do so.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I would because "SuperScout"...

You don't call in a special consultant unless you are prepared to heed his advice. I see nothing in "Football-Guy" Dorsey (FGD) to suggest he would do so.

OK, you have likely been paying more attention to this than I have:   IF Dorsey agree to bring in a special consultant....why would he not heed his advice?  Or are you saying he would never, ever agree to bring in a consultant....because he thinks he knows it all himself?

I think Dorsey is confident in his own analysis of the position and has nothing to gain by involving a beloved former Brown, but a lot to lose.

13 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think Dorsey is confident in his own analysis of the position and has nothing to gain by involving a beloved former Brown, but a lot to lose.

In whose opinion? Confidence is great, well, and good.....but could he indeed have something to gain?  Such as a knowledgeable opinion on a matter....even if it is to confirm his own beliefs?  Do you think he is going to listen to no one?  Or, let me put it this way:  do you trust the persons he is going to listen to?    Perhaps, it seems, that Highsmith is one of those persons he will listen to. Otherwise, why bring him in?  And, on the subject of QBs....who might Highsmith listen to?   His old teammate is one possible candidate.

So many posts and tweets about Dorsey being stuck with Hue against his will. Posts about friction on what OC and who picks them. Honestly 99% of it is just cowpoop twitter fodder. The FACT is that when Dorsey accepted the job he knew at that time Hue was locked in as the coach. If he had issue with it he would have simply declined the job offer. He had at a minimum the Giants in the wings ready to ink a deal. I think as opposed to the narrative being woven in the twitterverse we will find that Dorsey and Hue work well together and next year will be a bright spot. I'm fine with being reminded of this next season. 

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

In whose opinion? Confidence is great, well, and good.....but could he indeed have something to gain?  Such as a knowledgeable opinion on a matter....even if it is to confirm his own beliefs?  Do you think he is going to listen to no one?  Or, let me put it this way:  do you trust the persons he is going to listen to?    Perhaps, it seems, that Highsmith is one of those persons he will listen to. Otherwise, why bring him in?  And, on the subject of QBs....who might Highsmith listen to?   His old teammate is one possible candidate.

Since I replied I think you can assume it's my opinion.

I'm sure Dorsey has his confidants... I'd bet Highsmith is one of them. A confidant is someone you know and trust to maintain a confidence. Kosar simply doesn't qualify.

What is your evidence that Bernie would be of any value?

21 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Let Huey pick his OC.

Then, there are no excuses if things dont go right. If Dorsey gets enough of his people in Cleveland Huey will be outnumbered anyway.

Not if Jimmy Stupidphukkinghillbilly is on hue's side. That's way he's a huebatross. And Dorsey will be just collecting a check like all the others before him.

19 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Since I replied I think you can assume it's my opinion.

I'm sure Dorsey has his confidants... I'd bet Highsmith is one of them. A confidant is someone you know and trust to maintain a confidence. Kosar simply doesn't qualify.

And you have not one effing clue that he doesn't.  You just make assumptions there, which make an butt out of you but not me.

What is your evidence that Bernie would be of any value?

Bernie has been very good at assessing QB talent in his broadcasting stints.  Few are more insightful about how to play the position.

18 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Why hasn't Bernie ever gotten a NFL job?

I don't think he has ever wanted certain kinds of position.  That is, like an official type position:  coach/scout/etc.    If I recall he DID have a position with the Browns at some point....beyond the broadcasting.  In fact here is a blurb:

Kosar also purchased a minority share in the Arena Football League's Las Vegas Gladiators in 2007 and announced that the team would move to Cleveland and play under the name Cleveland Gladiators.[10][11] On October 16, 2007, Kosar was named team president and CEO of the franchise.[12] The Gladiators finished the 2008 regular season 9–7, earning them a playoff berth.

On October 17, 2009, Kosar was hired as a consultant for the Cleveland Browns.[13]

6 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

Slurred speech and boozing?

Kosar continues to deal with the lingering effects of several concussions he sustained during his playing career and is currently in a treatment program to alleviate his symptoms.[19] The experimental treatment has been very helpful for Kosar, to the point where he has openly promoted the treatment in the hopes of helping other players who may have developed the symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.[20] Kosar's symptoms have included insomnia, slurred speech and a ringing in his head, some present for more than a decade.[21]

4 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Kosar continues to deal with the lingering effects of several concussions he sustained during his playing career and is currently in a treatment program to alleviate his symptoms.[19] The experimental treatment has been very helpful for Kosar, to the point where he has openly promoted the treatment in the hopes of helping other players who may have developed the symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy.[20] Kosar's symptoms have included insomnia, slurred speech and a ringing in his head, some present for more than a decade.[21]

I am aware that concussions played a part in the slurred speech. It doesn't take away from the fact that it could be an impediment in social situations. 

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

And you have not one effing clue that he doesn't.  You just make assumptions there, which make an butt out of you but not me.

Bernie has been very good at assessing QB talent in his broadcasting stints.  Few are more insightful about how to play the position.

If you share confidences with people you do not know, then I feel safe in saying you are the clueless one.

Bernie's assessment commentary also got him kicked off broadcasts. Critiquing a pro's play is not the same as projecting a collegian's prospects at the next level.

30 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

If you share confidences with people you do not know, then I feel safe in saying you are the clueless one.

I am not sharing any confidences with anyone. What confidences do you think I have shared?

Bernie's assessment commentary also got him kicked off broadcasts. Critiquing a pro's play is not the same as projecting a collegian's prospects at the next level.

But, Bernie's assessment was dead butt right on.  Its just that he, I guess, should not have been so brutally honest about it. They don't want that kind of honesty in broadcasting.  (they won't even admit what a crappy butt job either Hue or Kizer did this year).  But that does not mean that an Alonzo Highsmith or John Dorsey would not want his brutally honest opinion about a QB prospect.  I am absolutely sure they would...if they solicited his opinion.   Which they could.

1 hour ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I am aware that concussions played a part in the slurred speech. It doesn't take away from the fact that it could be an impediment in social situations. 

Which social situations do you think he would be in where that would be an impediment?  He makes regular appearances on TV now on one of the Browns pre/post game shows.   Do you think that it would be an impediment to him holding a consultancy position with the Browns to advise them on QB prospects?  I don't. 

Archived