THE BROWNS BOARD

What was your take on Gordon's 5-game performance?

Tour2ma

Tgt  Rec Yd  Yd/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Tgt %  YdScm

42  18   335 18.6   1  54     3.6   67.0  42.9%   335

Other than his hands, which are still quite good, I did not see a lot of good there.

• Route running and discipline looked sloppy.
  • Speed was good, but not the blazing pull away I remember.
  • The quick slant beast of 2013 was nowhere to be seen.

There was one other positive... his celebrating. Right to the end, game 16, whenever a teammate excelled, he was there.

Hue said he expects him back. It will be interesting to see if/how our new GM arranges that.

Well he was obviously the best WR on the team... and he’s still under a cheap contract.(if I remember right he’s under contract for 2 more years... that game Pet suspended him for missing that team meeting week 16 made that season not count) So outside of him screwing up... I don’t see how you don’t bring him back on a team that is devoid of that position.

consider who was throwing to him, if it were Mayfield he would have had a 1000 yrd season.

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Other than his hands, which are still quite good, I did not see a lot of good there.

There was one other positive... his celebrating. Right to the end, game 16, whenever a teammate excelled, he was there.

Hue said he expects him back. It will be interesting to see if/how our new GM arranges that.

I'd say it was inconsistent.   He's still the best receiver we have and have had in years but his effort seems to be a bit spotty but I think it was like that before the suspension.  Could a full training camp with whoever the QB is help some of the things that didn't look good?   Hopefully.

1 minute ago, Mark O said:

I'd say it was inconsistent.   He's still the best receiver we have and have had in years but his effort seems to be a bit spotty but I think it was like that before the suspension.  Could a full training camp with whoever the QB is help some of the things that didn't look good?   Hopefully.

also consider he never got a really good chance to learn the offense until this year. He went right into the lineup. How much did he really learn in the two weeks leading up to his reinstatement?

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Good observations.  Even when he was at his best/elite - he got away with routes that weren't always crisp. I think he can get some of his speed/giddy-up back when/if he gets back closer to his previous playing weight.  I'm just glad he didn't pull or tear a hammy after all that time off. It takes time to get the game endurance back so I think there was a little bit of that unfolding at times.

I liked him better than I did when he joined our 7-4 team in 2014.  Not so much by the numbers but by the feeling that this time he looked like he understood the blessing he was given to play this game he's born to play well.  Could be just me but I thought I saw a guy more excited about being back.  

Was there rust?  Yes.  Was there inconsistent chemistry with him and the rookie QB?  Sure.   BUT, I liked hearing they spent time in the film room together to try to get more on the same page.  I don't think our previous version of Josh ever felt compelled to do that.   That showed me a leadership quality I didn't think existed by taking an inexperienced passer under his wing for a learning experience in the film room.

Pittsburgh schemed for Gordon as the commentator said so it was nice to see a Kizer to Higgins TD chemistry twice yesterday to take advantage of all the attention Gordon was getting.

I hope Gordon stays clean - I really like this version of the guy.   I'm seeing him do more of the little things I never thought he took seriously before.  If we can get a full season out of him - the numbers will fall into place.

He looked slower. There was a catch yesterday that i said "gone" when he caught it.....but the pgh db's beat him to the angle. I dont know if thats cause he he held up a bit looking for a possible cut back....but 2 years ago he dusts the secondary to the sideline angle and turns it upfield, no one in football catches him

Best player on the team. 

16 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

He looked slower. There was a catch yesterday that i said "gone" when he caught it.....but the pgh db's beat him to the angle. I dont know if thats cause he he held up a bit looking for a possible cut back....but 2 years ago he dusts the secondary to the sideline angle and turns it upfield, no one in football catches him

The one where he was horse-collared, with no flag? 

He played good. I don't think you can have another player miss so much time and get added to a sorry butt team with a sorry butt qb and still perform well. Obviously he had some rust and chemistry issues but by far was the best player on the field for us.

One of the few things that have been missed but Flugel has pointed out is all the eyes he attracts. He got back and had to face all the #1 CBs from rivals, sometimes with safety attention.  

There's a lot of value there because that allows other receivers to face less quality defensive backs. Maybe getting back after two years and posting stats which would lead him to 1,000 yard season -had he started all 16 games- is something to be optimist about rather than pesimist, all things considered (coach, QB, team overall). 

3 hours ago, Alkid3 said:

He played good. I don't think you can have another player miss so much time and get added to a sorry butt team with a sorry butt qb and still perform well. Obviously he had some rust and chemistry issues but by far was the best player on the field for us.

On the money. No other receiver in the league could have missed that much time and came back like he did. With a full OTA and camp AND a QB he will be number one in the league next year. 

Good Topic Tour..Leads to...all Good responses...like most here, the person inside is always more than the player..find family,find god..it will take you to a better place..To a good off season Gordo..Cheers   

9 hours ago, Flugel said:
  1. Even when he was at his best/elite - he got away with routes that weren't always crisp.
  2. I think he can get some of his speed/giddy-up back when/if he gets back closer to his previous playing weight.
  3. I liked him better than I did when he joined our 7-4 team in 2014.
  4. I liked hearing they spent time in the film room together to try to get more on the same page.  I don't think our previous version of Josh ever felt compelled to do that.

Good adds...

1. True... not always crisp, but many were and that would be many more than I saw this go 'round.
  2. Wasn't aware he was playing heavier, but combo of maturing body and his work out regimen would produce more mass he may never shed.
  3. Agree.... in 2014 he seemed disinterested. This time he engaged.
  4. See #3... good example.

The increased engagement makes me more optimistic for him remaining dedicated and clean.

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I'll just expound on a few things people already said (I know you guys are completely shocked).  

The only things that matters to me was that Josh was obviously accepted as a teammate, he celebrated with the team, and you could tell he flat-out CARED.  Now, I don't LOVE how demonstrative he was when Kizer didn't see him or missed him with a throw, and I'm sure the coaches will talk to him about that.  It has to be frustrating for a wide receiver who receives SO MUCH defensive attention to finally get open, and then have the QB completely miss on the route, or worse yet, not even see you.  Early in the game Sunday, Kizer was throwing from around our own goal line and Gordon broke free across the middle.  Like, broke REALLY free.  It wasn't a difficult throw, as Josh was only about 15 yards down the field and coming completely across the field, and he didn't have anybody with him.  I'm not sure how many yards after the catch he would've gotten, but we all know Josh is dangerous when he's at full speed with the ball.  Anyways, Josh's head almost exploded, and it was obviously a 3rd down whiff.  

Josh was certainly sloppy and he admitted he messed up a few times which cost us.  He wasn't on the same page as Kizer, but I like the fact he publicly owned up to it and stuck up for his QB.  There were definitely times when he was tired, and the San Diego game is a good example of that.  He played completely differently in the second half, but that's to be expected.  I guess most of all, I was happy to hear from Hue that Josh was doing everything he was asked to do.  Not late to meetings, not slacking off in practice, and I even heard he was, "A joy to be around."  

Josh wasn't perfect, that's for sure.  But he wasn't exactly playing with Tom Brady, and he hasn't played in a real game in a VERY long time.  If we're keeping our same coach and the same offense, and by the grace of God himself Josh can make it back to us in 2019, we might get 100% Gordon.  I'd say we got 80% Gordon for 5 games, and you see how good THAT is.  Oh, and remember that awesome Higgins touchdown when he went for about 50 yards and a score?  Guess who was running the entire way with him....Gordon.  And how about that 55 yard catch he had?  He was the only wide receiver running a route and the Steelers had him bracketed.  It didn't matter.  Like Tour said, Josh's hands definitely look good.  The ball can be away, low, high, or wherever...Josh has the ability to use his HANDS to catch the ball, and not try for the "body catch" like some other guys.  He reaches out and snags the ball, which is awesome.  

I've been very honest about how I feel about Josh.  I absolutely love the guy and I root for him openly, both as a person and a player.  That being said, I severely doubt he can make it back to us.  Why?  Because history tells us this, and until I'm proven wrong, I'm going with the notion that we desperately need more wide receivers, and a big name at that.  

jiggins-even if JG does make it back, the season of drops from all the rest tells me we still need another JG to go with him. All the best teams have two at a minimum. Higgins had a great game Sunday, but it was an aberration not a norm. If we had seen a lot of those type games from him or anyone else not named Gordon, then we would not have to draft a WR high. But we do unless we find one in FA not just showing up for the big retirement check (Fool me twice shame on me Sashi or hue or whoever did that crap twice).

18 hours ago, TopDawg31 said:

consider who was throwing to him, if it were Mayfield he would have had a 1000 yrd season.

yeah and Johnny Vegas was the guy who threw to Gordon that gave him that incredible PB year.

not.

always 'liked' gordon and believe he could have been one of our all-time greats and at least held down a cornerstone as our #1 for years if it wasn't for his addiction or stupidity. it's like 'hmmmm........ i could eat this energy bar and stay in the gym or film room for an xtra hour or two or go meet up with khalif and blow this cone....???..... where Khalif at?

btw, wonder what ur blow boy baker shitfield has to say this morning? hmmm. prob not a word as he's in vegas with a fake moustach and wig. had plenty to say to Georgia bench when they were running it up on them in first half. then at the end nuthin but a fistful of tears.

oh baker ur so fine, ur so fine u blow my mind, HEY BAKER!!

18 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

I thought he was the best player on the field, Kizer leaves plays all over the place.

Zombo

21 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

When you consider this kid sat out for what.. nearly 2 full seasons?... Doesn't even know the playbook.. Didn't have a training camp or any exhibition games.. And factor in our shitty WR corps and how lousy they have played. To me.. it looked like he didn't skip much of a beat. He looked vastly superior to anyone else on the Roster as far as pass catching. , Route running, And the stride he has compared to other hacks on our team..  Gordon play to me was a great indicator of just how bad our WR's really are.. Colman,"stone hands" included..there's a wide margin in talent.. And of course.. We also must factor in we have no QB.. Kizer was shitty at best.

7 hours ago, TexasAg1969 said:

jiggins-even if JG does make it back, the season of drops from all the rest tells me we still need another JG to go with him. All the best teams have two at a minimum. Higgins had a great game Sunday, but it was an aberration not a norm. If we had seen a lot of those type games from him or anyone else not named Gordon, then we would not have to draft a WR high. But we do unless we find one in FA not just showing up for the big retirement check (Fool me twice shame on me Sashi or hue or whoever did that crap twice).

You're absolutely right.  That's why I said we need to bring in another regardless if he comes back.  It's so obvious what a talented receiver does for people.  When I see Deondre Hopkins play, it doesn't seem fair.  I know he's a rare bird, but the point is...you put the ball near that guy, and he's making the play.  We need that.  ALL of that.  

18 hours ago, syd said:

thing is with JG is that he gives up on play's all ways have all ways will

WTF! are you high on , Dude? You mean Terrell Pryor.. not JG.. I have never seen Gordon give up on a play..except maybe his rookie season.

Archived