THE BROWNS BOARD

Black Monday follows Bloody Sunday

Orion

Sunday...Bloody Sunday (U2)

So Black Monday follows the last Sunday of the regular season.  

No team has said that they will fire their HC to this point in time (Saturday night, before Bloody Sunday).  Of course, you CAN'T say that while there are still more games to be played.

OUR owner, about a month ago, after firing Sashi and hiring Dorsey, stated that the HC will be back for 2018.  But I don't believe that to be true.  You cannot justify to season ticket holders...or fans in general, that you are bringing back a coach that just went 0-16.  Or 1-31 over a two year span.  (even if all the stars line up in a row and the Steelers lose to the Browns)

Haslam is a marketing man.  He KNOWS  there's no market for a coach who's team performs like that...no matter WHAT the circumstances.

Now, one may say that Jimmy didn't HAVE to say that the coach would be back for 2018.  That he could've said that the HC would be evaluated at season's end...like all other players and coaches.  But after just firing the head honcho (Sashi), it would've sounded just like saying Hue would be fired.  PLUS, we all know that Jimmy is a liar (he had no idea that his company was making tons of money by screwing customers out of their rebates).

I'm saying that Hue is a Black Monday casualty.  But I'm not betting on it....because it's the Browns...and it just seems that nothing is normal when it comes to the Browns. Well, abnormal is normal I guess. 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, D Bone said:

At 1-31 the Browns have to show continuity or they run the risk of looking foolish.......... 

At 1-31 I'd say we look pretty foolish- the joke of the NFL in fact. In this case, MHO is continuity for continuities sake is pretty dumb. Keeping Hue around so he can go 4-12 next year isn't progress. His game day decisions- as well as his real and potential QB selections tell me cutting bait with this loser is no loss.  

If we keep him around- great, but I sure won't be upset if he gets canned- and he deserves to be. 

4 hours ago, Orion said:

Sunday...Bloody Sunday (U2)

So Black Monday follows the last Sunday of the regular season.  

No team has said that they will fire their HC to this point in time (Saturday night, before Bloody Sunday).  Of course, you CAN'T say that while there are still more games to be played.

OUR owner, about a month ago, after firing Sashi and hiring Dorsey, stated that the HC will be back for 2018.  But I don't believe that to be true.  You cannot justify to season ticket holders...or fans in general, that you are bringing back a coach that just went 0-16.  Or 1-31 over a two year span.  (even if all the stars line up in a row and the Steelers lose to the Browns)

Haslam is a marketing man.  He KNOWS  there's no market for a coach who's team performs like that...no matter WHAT the circumstances.

Now, one may say that Jimmy didn't HAVE to say that the coach would be back for 2018.  That he could've said that the HC would be evaluated at season's end...like all other players and coaches.  But after just firing the head honcho (Sashi), it would've sounded just like saying Hue would be fired.  PLUS, we all know that Jimmy is a liar (he had no idea that his company was making tons of money by screwing customers out of their rebates).

I'm saying that Hue is a Black Monday casualty.  But I'm not betting on it....because it's the Browns...and it just seems that nothing is normal when it comes to the Browns. Well, abnormal is normal I guess. 

The problem is, Haslam and Dorsey have painted themselves into a corner. If they fire him, then their word is worth nothing. It would be just another black eye on a franchise, that honestly, should be moved to another city and renamed. Why keep shidding on the Browns brand?

39 minutes ago, Ghoolie said:

The problem is, Haslam and Dorsey have painted themselves into a corner. If they fire him, then their word is worth nothing. It would be just another black eye on a franchise, that honestly, should be moved to another city and renamed. Why keep shidding on the Browns brand?

That is the problem Tom. I wish Haslami hadn't given Hue a 100% vote of confidence. It would have made Dorsey's job a lot easier. Oh, I get why the players love Hue- he's a limp (you know what) suckup to the players. 

Assuming 2018 we're not at least 4-4 at the bye- what happens then? Hue gets sent packing and it's yet another wasted season. In this- I'm with you. I hope the Steelers scrubs beat the Browns 50-0 and then Jimmuh has no choice but to can Hue. 

1 hour ago, Ghoolie said:

Agreed.  Haslam made this situation untenable.  No one would come here now if he fires Jackson... unless it's for an exorbitant amount of guaranteed money.

Dorsey's comments in his first week were the shot across the bow.  We're in for another GM/head coach power struggle next year until Jackson is fired and Dorsey can pick the replacement.  Let's hope his reputation for drafting/signing talent is well deserved.  At the least there would be some talent here for the next iteration of FO/coaching staff.

36 minutes ago, BrownPile said:

Agreed.  Haslam made this situation untenable.  No one would come here now if he fires Jackson... unless it's for an exorbitant amount of guaranteed money.

Dorsey's comments in his first week were the shot across the bow.  We're in for another GM/head coach power struggle next year until Jackson is fired and Dorsey can pick the replacement.  Let's hope his reputation for drafting/signing talent is well deserved.  At the least there would be some talent here for the next iteration of FO/coaching staff.

I think the worst part of 2017, is that we have some decent talent on this team. The loses have involved some of the most ridiculous schidt I have ever seen.

4 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

Unless they "let" him go to sinsinnatti.

21 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Unless they "let" him go to sinsinnatti.

That's the only way to make it out. 

But I am not worried too much about an owner keeping his word. I don't feel like it's the first time someone guarantees a coach's job just to fire him afterwards. Anyway, it was a stupid thing to do, but I don't expect much about Jimmy's ability to handle a football team.

1 minute ago, Nero said:

That's the only way to make it out. 

But I am not worried too much about an owner keeping his word. I don't feel like it's the first time someone guarantees a coach's job just to fire him afterwards. Anyway, it was a stupid thing to do, but I don't expect much about Jimmy's ability to handle a football team.

Happens all the time. A certain kiss of death is the owner committing to a head coach. Hue's a goner. Dorsey doesn't seem like the type to take the GM job just to start with an albatross around his neck. Sink or swim, Hue's done here.

4 minutes ago, flyingfooldoug said:

Happens all the time. A certain kiss of death is the owner committing to a head coach. Hue's a goner. Dorsey doesn't seem like the type to take the GM job just to start with an albatross around his neck. Sink or swim, Hue's done here.

I feel the same way.

Our only honorable action is get that OC and an experienced NFL QB like Smith. Doesn't fire the coach but makes him accept help and lets him just be a coach. Maybe then he will learn how to manage a clock and someone else can manage the red zone.

Just more proof for multiple seasons that the browns corporate organization from scouts to Haslem need to keep their opinions in office. Instead they open mouth, inserting more gasoline to a dumpster fire. Dorsey is a no nonsense football guy not shy to butt-hurt someones talent on a football field..Will it work? fans should hope so, Have we tried this approach? been a very long time if at all? Only hope Dorsey can give Hue or any coach at this point is find the best on the street QB walking the streets at FA time..Start Him & god please let this class of draftee QB's EARN their way up depth chart..Not by talent Default   

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

Dorsey has already publicly stated that he is here to support Hue 100%.

Ghoolie is correct yet again. The Browns are committed now for another year of Hue. If they fire Hue now they look like back stabbers and no HC worth a damn with want to work for Haslam.

Hue is around for another year because he has convinced Haslam that the GM was the problem. Garropolo playing as well as he has only confirms to Haslam that Hue was right all along and that Sashi screwed him in the anus numerous times. Passing on Watson, screwing up the paperwork on the QB deal mid season, balking at paying the asking price for Garappolo. Hue has pants with a zipper in the back too.

That doesn't excuse all his bush league coaching blunders. He will be able to go to sinsinnatti like he wants.

1 hour ago, boo fagley said:

Dorsey has already publicly stated that he is here to support Hue 100%.

Ghoolie is correct yet again. The Browns are committed now for another year of Hue. If they fire Hue now they look like back stabbers and no HC worth a damn with want to work for Haslam.

Hue is around for another year because he has convinced Haslam that the GM was the problem. Garropolo playing as well as he has only confirms to Haslam that Hue was right all along and that Sashi screwed him in the anus numerous times. Passing on Watson, screwing up the paperwork on the QB deal mid season, balking at paying the asking price for Garappolo. Hue has pants with a zipper in the back too.

I don't agree on the Garoppolo part. I don't think you can blame Sashi for that: he offered the same as SF and way earlier, and I'm not sold he had a chance in the trade deadline when the Pats called SF.

15 minutes ago, Nero said:

I don't agree on the Garoppolo part. I don't think you can blame Sashi for that: he offered the same as SF and way earlier, and I'm not sold he had a chance in the trade deadline when the Pats called SF.

Belicheck,Brady who has same agent as Jimmy G was not going to let that happen. Protecting a good camper. Myself,Zombo & few others wanted this move to happen. Well, several were right now on Jimmy g. I was in Philly at the draft, so I heard no media trade rumors through out the draft. Tour posted we offered a 2nd.. plus?.. during draft? Do you know any details of what was offered at draft?thanks 

1 hour ago, gumby73 said:

Belicheck,Brady who has same agent as Jimmy G was not going to let that happen. Protecting a good camper. Myself,Zombo & few others wanted this move to happen. Well, several were right now on Jimmy g. I was in Philly at the draft, so I heard no media trade rumors through out the draft. Tour posted we offered a 2nd.. plus?.. during draft? Do you know any details of what was offered at draft?thanks 

36 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

Prior to the season Sashi was in the drivers seat for Jimmy G, but he balked at the asking price.

Sashi could have had him way before the trade deadlibe.

Sashi offered a second round during draft, maybe a little more. It was a fair price for who I believe was a second rounder when he got drafted and had only 4 starts. All the analysts I read about during that time, were certain that NOBODY would or should offer more for Garoppolo. 

As the deal hadn't gone throught during the offseason, nobody expected the Patriots to trade him in midseason, it came as a surprise to everyone in the league, and was a deal mainly handled by the Patriots, not the other way around, that's why I believe Sashi didn't make an offer in midseason because Garoppolo semt far from being in the market. 

I think that Nero put it quite well in another thread:  It would be MOST ironic if the coach that Haslam KEEPS is the one with the worst 2 year record in history. (paraphrasing) 

A brief hijack for a little levity.

A few of us played a Christmas show for a local nursing home.  We played in the area where there were more dementia and alzheimers patients.  In this 13 second clip I'm introducing our final tune.  LOL

21 minutes ago, Orion said:

I think that Nero put it quite well in another thread:  It would be MOST ironic if the coach that Haslam KEEPS is the one with the worst 2 year record in history. (paraphrasing) 

Thanks Nero,as many have posted, your a keeper around here. (thinking I heard addition 4th)   MOST ironic of Browning? would be if Dorsey steps down wanting HueJax out but team captains & Haslem squash that bug...even after Dorsey’s 👀 on coaching assessments to Haslem...we are notorious in the ironic business

I think at this point we need to weigh the impact of firing another coach after 2 years (how it makes us look to other potential coaches in the future, etc) against how many games Hue “lost” for us this year.  The players seem to love the guy, and it’s not like any coach out there is going to make us an 8 win team next year.  I honestly have no idea which is the better decision.

^^agree boo^^ But Scott Pioli is now with Atlanta..sure wish Pioli still owned his map to Cleveland, Pioli would not give Haslem the time of day to fire 🔥 him..

2 hours ago, cvcanedy said:

I think at this point we need to weigh the impact of firing another coach after 2 years (how it makes us look to other potential coaches in the future, etc) against how many games Hue “lost” for us this year.

...not a good enough reason to keep a HC that's doing a lousy job. (or a 'fairly' lousy job)

I, like most everyone else, do NOT want to change coaches.  We need stability.  We need continuity.  But that's NOT a good enough reason to keep a coach.  The REASON you keep a coach is because he's good.  Just like the players.  You don't keep a player that's not good.  You cut him and sign someone else.  

1 hour ago, Orion said:

...not a good enough reason to keep a HC that's doing a lousy job. (or a 'fairly' lousy job)

I, like most everyone else, do NOT want to change coaches.  We need stability.  We need continuity.  But that's NOT a good enough reason to keep a coach.  The REASON you keep a coach is because he's good.  Just like the players.  You don't keep a player that's not good.  You cut him and sign someone else.  

So we cut most everybody signed by Sashi, then.

Coleman can be the first to go.

Archived