THE BROWNS BOARD

Playoff Success History

The Gipper

Here is a set of Trivia about teams that have had some playoff success:

1. What team has the best overall postseason Won/Loss pct.?

2. What team has won the most postseason games all time?

3. What team won the most consecutive postseason games?

4. What team has appeared in the post season the most years?

5. What team appeared in the post season the most consecutive years?

6. What team has appeared in the most overall post season games?

7. What team has won the most overall  Championships?

Hint:   of these first 7 questions....none of the answers are the same!

8.A.  Name the only teams to ever win Championship with undefeated/untied seasons.

...B. Name the ONLY current team that won an NFL championship undefeated, but with 1 tie.

9. Name the only team that won 3 NFL titles...but is now defunct.

10. Name the team that won the very first NFL title.

11. Name those teams that have won 4 or more Super Bowls.

12. What team scored the most points in a post season game ever...and say how many points.

Bonus:  Name the 4 teams that won pre-Super Bowl AFL titles, (pre-1966)  and name any one of those that won a Super Bowl after the 1970 NFL/AFL merger.

7. Green Bay Packers

10. Do you mean the winner of the first NFL Title Game, held in 1933? That would be the Chicago Bears

11. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco

12. Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0 to win the NFL Title in 1940

1 hour ago, Dutch Oven said:

7. Green Bay Packers

10. Do you mean the winner of the first NFL Title Game, held in 1933? That would be the Chicago Bears

11. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco

12. Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0 to win the NFL Title in 1940

11. Giants don't have 4 too? 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Yes they do, I forgot about the one they won against the Bills.

Playoffs? Playoffs?

On 12/29/2017 at 6:46 PM, Dutch Oven said:

7. Green Bay Packers  Check

10. Do you mean the winner of the first NFL Title Game, held in 1933? That would be the Chicago Bears  NO, I am talking about the first title ever, not the first title game....but you get credit for what you did say here.

11. New England, Pittsburgh, Green Bay, San Francisco  These are all correct...but they are not all.

12. Chicago Bears defeated the Washington Redskins 73-0 to win the NFL Title in 1940  Check

1. What team has the best overall postseason Won/Loss pct.? Guess the 49ers... shortest success period with multiple SB wins I can think of.

2. What team has won the most postseason games all time? Have to guess the Pats with their most SB appearances.

3. What team won the most consecutive postseason games? Has to be a back-to-back SB winner who made playoffs the following year... 70's Steelers seem likely.

4. What team has appeared in the post season the most years? The Bears? Feels like has to be an early original.

5. What team appeared in the post season the most consecutive years? Landry's 'Boys on their way to "America's Team" status seems right... had a nine or ten year run.

6. What team has appeared in the most overall post season games? My brain hurts....

7. What team has won the most overall  Championships? Packers already correctly guessed.

Hint:   of these first 7 questions....none of the answers are the same! A hint that makes it harder.

8.A.  Name the only teams to ever win Championship with undefeated/untied seasons. '72 Fins... AAFC Browns in the 50's also did, but...

...B. Name the ONLY current team that won an NFL championship undefeated, but with 1 tie. An early Lambeau Packers team... guessing in the 20's.

9. Name the only team that won 3 NFL titles...but is now defunct. The Canton Bulldogs?

10. Name the team that won the very first NFL title. When in doubt go with the Dacatur Staleys.

11. Name those teams that have won 4 or more Super Bowls. Cowboys have not been mentioned yet.

Bonus:  Name the 4 teams that won pre-Super Bowl AFL titles, (pre-1966)  and name any one of those that won a Super Bowl after the 1970 NFL/AFL merger.

Oilers, Bills, Chargers for sure... none of these have won a SB.

17 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

1. What team has the best overall postseason Won/Loss pct.? Guess the 49ers... shortest success period with multiple SB wins I can think of. NO

2. What team has won the most postseason games all time? Have to guess the Pats with their most SB appearances. NO

3. What team won the most consecutive postseason games? Has to be a back-to-back SB winner who made playoffs the following year... 70's Steelers seem likely. NO

4. What team has appeared in the post season the most years? The Bears? Feels like has to be an early original. NO...but you are on the right track

5. What team appeared in the post season the most consecutive years? Landry's 'Boys on their way to "America's Team" status seems right... had a nine or ten year run. A qualified NO....hint...if you are only talking appearance in NFL postseason, that would be right.

6. What team has appeared in the most overall post season games? My brain hurts....  NO

7. What team has won the most overall  Championships? Packers already correctly guessed.

Hint:   of these first 7 questions....none of the answers are the same! A hint that makes it harder.

8.A.  Name the only teams to ever win Championship with undefeated/untied seasons. '72 Fins... AAFC Browns in the 50's also did, but... Check

...B. Name the ONLY current team that won an NFL championship undefeated, but with 1 tie. An early Lambeau Packers team... guessing in the 20's.  Check

9. Name the only team that won 3 NFL titles...but is now defunct. The Canton Bulldogs? Check  (Canton/Cleveland)

10. Name the team that won the very first NFL title. When in doubt go with the Dacatur Staleys. NO

11. Name those teams that have won 4 or more Super Bowls. Cowboys have not been mentioned yet. Check

Oilers, Bills, Chargers for sure... none of these have won a SB. Check on these....and hint....the 4th one is a bit of a trick question....read the question carefully.

On 12/29/2017 at 3:08 PM, The Gipper said:

Answers...  Note....these answers were all before this round of postseason games...there could be some changes.

1. What team has the best overall postseason Won/Loss pct.?

the Ravens .652

2. What team has won the most postseason games all time?

Steelers have won 36....Cowboys 34....Niners and Packers 31 each

3. What team won the most consecutive postseason games?

The Patriots won 10 in a row

4. What team has appeared in the post season the most years?

The Giants  31 times. Cowboys 30, Packers 29

5. What team appeared in the post season the most consecutive years?

The Cleveland Browns....10 years from 1946-1955.    NFL only:  Cowboys and Colts...9 years each)

6. What team has appeared in the most overall post season games?

The Dallas Cowboys with 61

7. What team has won the most overall  Championships?

The Green Bay Packers with 13.

Hint:   of these first 7 questions....none of the answers are the same!

8.A.  Name the only teams to ever win Championship with undefeated/untied seasons.

1948  Cleveland Browns and the 1972 Miami Dolphins

...B. Name the ONLY current team that won an NFL championship undefeated, but with 1 tie.

The Green Bay Packers  in 1929   (a couple of defunct teams won titles with just ties, no losses)

9. Name the only team that won 3 NFL titles...but is now defunct.

The Canton/Cleveland Bulldogs 

10. Name the team that won the very first NFL title.

The Akron Pros

11. Name those teams that have won 4 or more Super Bowls.

Cowboys 5, Packers 4, Pats 5, Giants 4, Steelers 6, 49ers 5

12. What team scored the most points in a post season game ever...and say how many points.

Chicago Bears   73-0   over Redskins  1940 NFL title game.   In fact, that is the most points scored in any game ever in the NFL...regular or post season.

Charger,s Bills, Oilers/Titans....and Texans/Chiefs.   And NONE of them have won a Super Bowl post merger.    Though, the trick is...the Chiefs did win one of the 4 SBs that occurred pre-merger...in 1969

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder where in Akron the Pros played...

Information from that era is notoriously sketchy and hard to find but there are some sources like:

http://www.leatherheadsofthegridiron.com/?p=92

https://www.leatherheadsofthegridiron.com/

17 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I wonder where in Akron the Pros played...

League Park (Akron)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

League Park
Location Akron, Ohio
Coordinates 17px-WMA_button2b.png41°4′30″N 81°29′58″WCoordinates: 17px-WMA_button2b.png41°4′30″N 81°29′58″W
Owner Akron, Ohio
Operator Akron Pros
Capacity 5,000 (American football andBaseball)
Surface Grass
Opened May 4, 1906
Tenants
Akron Indians (OL) (1916-1919)
Akron Pros/Indians (NFL) (1920-1926)
Akron Black Tyrites (NNL II) (1933)[1]
Akron Yankees (MAL) (1935-1941)

League Park refers to two former American football and baseball stadiums located in Akron, Ohio. The original League Park was located at the corner of Carroll St. and Beaver St.; the newer stadium was on Lakeshore Blvd. between W. Long St. and W. Crosier St.[1]

Tenants[edit]

The stadiums were home to the Akron Pros of the National Football League from 1916 to 1926. In 1933, the Akron Black Tyrites, a Negro league baseball team, played their home games here.[1] It also hosted the Akron Yankees of the Middle Atlantic League, as well as various other minor league baseball team in Akron.

Capacity[edit]

The later stadium had a capacity of 5,000 spectators.

Characteristics[edit]

The second League Park was built on land that had a sharp drop-off directly behind the left field fence. This led to the left field wall slanting backwards at such an angle that outfielders could easily run up the wall, using it as a ramp, and catch fly balls that would have otherwise left the park. Since balls hit to left could literally roll up and over the fence, a rule was necessary declaring such hits a ground-rule double.[1]

The first League Park at the corner of Carroll and Beaver is just over the freeway from where Infocision stadium is now.  At this point, looking at Google Earth, there seems to be like a warehouse operation there now.

The second League Park seems to be near where Summit Lake Park is now.  Not sure depending on the side of the street it was on, there seems to be just an open field as part of the park....or if on the other side of the street, it looks like apartments....likely public housing.

Interesting...

Cleveland had a "League Park" as well. It was the original home of the Indians for decades prior to the construction of old muni.

Western Reserve played many of its big-time college football games at League Park... Western Reserve and Case Tech often showcased their annual Thanksgiving Day rivalry game against one another,[6] as well as playing other Big Four Conference games against John Carroll and Baldwin-Wallace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Park

Dad and Grandpa told stories about going to the Thanksgiving Day games at League Park and later at old Muni.

In our trophy case at Case Tech we had an old football commemorating a 6-0 win over Ohio State in the early 1900's.

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Interesting...

Cleveland had a "League Park" as well. It was the original home of the Indians for decades prior to the construction of old muni.

Western Reserve played many of its big-time college football games at League Park... Western Reserve and Case Tech often showcased their annual Thanksgiving Day rivalry game against one another,[6] as well as playing other Big Four Conference games against John Carroll and Baldwin-Wallace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/League_Park

Dad and Grandpa told stories about going to the Thanksgiving Day games at League Park and later at old Muni.

In our trophy case at Case Tech we had an old football commemorating a 6-0 win over Ohio State in the early 1900's.

By Big Four, I assume that Western Reserve and Case were, at the time, separate schools...and accounted for two of the 4?   

I wonder if there is a "Big Four" today.    Of course, they would actually be a "little four" as they play D-III ball.   In Cuyahoga Co.  you still have CWRU,  B-W, and John Carroll with D-III programs.  I am trying to think if there is another....but I don't believe there is. Not in football.   There is Ursuline...who competes only in women's sports. 

You would have to go out of county to include like Oberlin or Hiram to make up the Big/Little 4.   So, I think that grouping has gone by the wayside.

Correct... Case and Reserve merged their football programs in '70; Basketball and other programs in '72.

Of course I am using the term "programs" loosely...

No other college football programs I can think of in the county.

35 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Correct... Case and Reserve merged their football programs in '70; Basketball and other programs in '72.

Of course I am using the term "programs" loosely...

No other college football programs I can think of in the county.

Case has a fair little program for their level.  (nothing of course like Mt. Union)  In fact, I went to see one of their games a few years back.  My daughter was a cheerleader for Trinity Univ. (in San Antonio)....and they came here to play Case.   They did not however, bring their cheerleaders with them. So, while we went to the game to see the team she cheered for, she had to stay in Texas.  Case won the game by the way.

1 hour ago, The Gipper said:

Where is it?

Between E 66th Street and E 70th, and Linwood and Lexington avenues. Never been there? It's fantastic. A must visit, trust me.

2 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I think it's part of the breakwall guarding Cleveland's harbor.

That may be Old Municipal Stadium.....or perhaps Old Muni is out in Lake Erie, remnants being used to create a man made reef.

....at least that is what Wiki says:

Cleveland Stadium was demolished in 1996 to make way for FirstEnergy Stadium, which opened in 1999. Much of the debris from the demolition was placed in Lake Erie to create an artificial reef.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

And you have?  From Spain?

I have never said that I have never been to Cleveland...

36 minutes ago, Nero said:

I have never said that I have never been to Cleveland...

Then how can you give this opinion:

Between E 66th Street and E 70th, and Linwood and Lexington avenues. Never been there? It's fantastic. A must visit, trust me.

I HAVE been around that area......it is pretty much Ghetto...or was... when I lived on the east side of Cleveland.  (but I did not live in that area:  Shaker Square)

But, I will say, yes...it is likely worth a trip up around there.

Archived