THE BROWNS BOARD

The Browns are on the clock!

PoeticG

I'll get to checking out this draft game and watching tape really soon but so far the only guy that I've seen that is transcendent looks like Saquon Barkley. He is the Anti-Crow, this kid really flys and man he's shifty AND fast- At the same time. Really like this RB. He brings another level. I would say that he's a Duke Johnson 3.14. Guys, he should be on our team in September. I'm going to look at these QBs but I'm thinking that Barkley is that player right now that you write down on the paper a little note to yourself- Open April 26th; "Barkley - No matter what" and tuck that mug into your pocket.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Say-Gone  BARKLEY! 

Game Changer. 

We have 2 picks in the top 5 of the draft. 

Nothing says we have to take the guy #1 overall. 

Just now, PoeticG said:

Say-Gone  BARKLEY! 

Game Changer. 

If Fitzgerald is still there for our #2, I take him before Barkley if he is also still there.

All I'm saying is exercise your due diligence and don't just burn a number 1 overall pick on a Quarterback that will still be there in the second round. 

Avoid the knee jerk reaction to REACH for a QB #1 overall at all costs. You have to take the best player. 

Just now, TexasAg1969 said:

If Fitzgerald is still there for our #2, I take him before Barkley if he is also still there.

Did you watch the video above?

Just now, PoeticG said:

All I'm saying is exercise your due diligence and don't just burn a number 1 overall pick on a Quarterback that will still be there in the second round. 

Avoid the knee jerk reaction to REACH for a QB #1 overall at all costs. You have to take the best player. 

If Rosen declares I stick with him. Darnold, maybe if Rosen stays @UCLA.

And highlights tell me nothing. I have watched all in games which are far better evaluations than highlights. I could send out my racquetball highlights and you'd wonder why I wasn't in the record books for best ever @ 70 and over. Some of my shots on any given two hour period look like they were fired by a laser into the crack in the front corners. But that would leave out 90+% of reality which some days just bites.

#1 for a guy that had only 4 100 yrd games? Yeah that sounds about right to go along with our 17 #1 pick that gets 1 Tackle a game. I'm seeing a pattern here.

I watched some of that highlight real.

Barkley is good...and he's FAST.  But that #10 guy seems to catch up to him before he reaches the end zone.  #10 is WICKED fast.

We need a QB.

The QB trumps a RB.  It's like the Queen to the Rook in chess.

We've gotta pick the best damn QB in this draft.  And THEN work on the rest of the team.   (I cannot overstate my position on this.  Pretend I carved it in stone)

Myles Garrett was 'off the charts' better than anyone else in last year's draft.  And do ya know how many touchdown passes he threw for us this year?  Fuggin' None!   We lost every fuggin' game this year because we can't throw a goddamn touchdown pass.

How is Saquon a lock at the first RB taken? He had 4 games over 100 yds this season. That's hardly dominant. It's not like he was playing the Buckeyes or Bama each game. 

JK Dobbins put up better numbers as a true freshman than Barkley did as a Jr. I don't get all the hype for him, especially in rd 1. 

2 hours ago, PoeticG said:

Say-Gone  BARKLEY! 

Game Changer. 

And we won't. Dorsey isn't that dumb. It's plain as mud we're taking a qb with the first pick. If Rosen doesn't declare, (or only wants to play for the Giants) he's not the only fish in this very deep QB class. It will cost the G-Men plenty to swap picks, and this year second best isn't going to be chopped liver. 

On 12/24/2017 at 11:14 PM, MLD Woody said:

1) If PoG loves him it's probably a bad pick

2) Barkley disappeared for part of the year

3) We aren't 1 HB away from a playoff spot. HBs can be found late. Taking one this early is buying high on a lower need we can get with a later pick.

No

I tend to agree but doesn't it seem like Adrian Peterson and Ezekiel Elliott made significant improvements to the Vikings and Cowboys?

(But I like PoG)

WSS

12 minutes ago, MLD Woody said:

We're not a team where one HB will make a big difference. We don't have Romo//Dak, Their OL, Dez, etc. 

An elite DB will help this team more in the long run than an elite HB

True enough. And of course I wouldn't take him with the first pick. Just that if we have number 1 and number 4 he might still be there. I wouldn't be upset with Fitzgerald either. Giants will go quarterback. Who's next?

Also I'm not sure how much hype is involved. Still there would be some great DBs in the second round too.

WSS

On 12/24/2017 at 10:05 PM, PoeticG said:

I strongly agree with you that it doesn't have to be a QB, but I also feel like we HAVE to get our highest rated QB at any cost. Last year we got cute. We tried to have our cake and eat it by drafting other positions early, trading back (yet again), and then selecting our QB in the 2nd round. This year we need to get the guy we have ranked the highest. Even if we're picking 6th in the draft, that leaves 4 other teams who could draft our QB if we select someone else at 1. Can we REALLY afford that? 

Even if we sign a veteran QB, we need to get our guy. We just can't get cute again. 

On 12/24/2017 at 10:02 PM, PoeticG said:

Say-Gone  BARKLEY! 

Game Changer. 

Saigon Barkley?  Yea, we could all be running for roofs hoping to get picked up by helicopters if we go with Saigon Barkley.

On 12/24/2017 at 11:41 PM, Orion said:

I watched some of that highlight real.

Barkley is good...and he's FAST.  But that #10 guy seems to catch up to him before he reaches the end zone.  #10 is WICKED fast.

We need a QB.

The QB trumps a RB.  It's like the Queen to the Rook in chess.

We've gotta pick the best damn QB in this draft.  And THEN work on the rest of the team.   (I cannot overstate my position on this.  Pretend I carved it in stone)

Myles Garrett was 'off the charts' better than anyone else in last year's draft.  And do ya know how many touchdown passes he threw for us this year?  Fuggin' None!   We lost every fuggin' game this year because we can't throw a goddamn touchdown pass.

Interesting.   Comparing football players to Chess pieces.   Agree....that a QB is like the Queen.   But I think that a WR is more like the Rook...unless it is a Duke Johnson type:  hybrid RB/WR.    RBs more often would be like the Bishop.   And TEs would be the Knights.  Naturally....the OL are the Pawns.

And the HC is the King.  Not greatly in the game himself....but he directs everyone else.

16 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Interesting.   Comparing football players to Chess pieces.   Agree....that a QB is like the Queen.   But I think that a WR is more like the Rook...unless it is a Duke Johnson type:  hybrid RB/WR.    RBs more often would be like the Bishop.   And TEs would be the Knights.  Naturally....the OL are the Pawns.

And the HC is the King.  Not greatly in the game himself....but he directs everyone else.

That explains everything. The King keeps forgetting how to us his chess clock.

2 hours ago, Westside Steve said:

True enough. And of course I wouldn't take him with the first pick. Just that if we have number 1 and number 4 he might still be there. I wouldn't be upset with Fitzgerald either. Giants will go quarterback. Who's next?

Also I'm not sure how much hype is involved. Still there would be some great DBs in the second round too.

WSS

3rd to pick would be the Colts if all remains the same after next weekend. And we would be 4th.

36 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

But I think that a WR is more like the Rook

OK.  They line up wide.  (my thinking was as a straight ahead runner while the bishops weave their way down field)

26 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

3rd to pick would be the Colts if all remains the same after next weekend. And we would be 4th.

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think it matters if the Colts win or lose (to the Colts that is).  I think they remain picking 3rd due to strength of schedule.

And it may be possible for Houston to fall to #7 with a win against Indy (with the final changes being made to strength of schedule)

2 minutes ago, Orion said:

I'm not 100% certain, but I don't think it matters if the Colts win or lose (to the Colts that is).  I think they remain picking 3rd due to strength of schedule.

And it may be possible for Houston to fall to #7 with a win against Indy (with the final changes being made to strength of schedule)

We are rooting for the Colts this week, but it just may not be in the cards. I don't think they can stop Houston's WR star DeAndre Hopkins.

Hopkins continues to be one of the best receivers I've ever seen. God help the world if he played with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. He just LOOKS different, ya know? He catches the ball so quickly and immediately runs with it. Craziness. 

That being said, the Colts can definitely win. So what's the final verdict...if Colts win, where do we pick? 

23 minutes ago, jiggins7919 said:

Hopkins continues to be one of the best receivers I've ever seen. God help the world if he played with Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. He just LOOKS different, ya know? He catches the ball so quickly and immediately runs with it. Craziness. 

That being said, the Colts can definitely win. So what's the final verdict...if Colts win, where do we pick? 

If the Colts win they have the lower SOS so they pick before Houston and Houston before Tampa Bay even if they lose again.

EDIT: It will be interesting to see how many teams play their 2nd/3rd teamers to "tank" into a better pick this week. Too much calculus for this old guy to figure out.

Archived