THE BROWNS BOARD

Independence Bowl Could/Should be Canceled?

The Gipper

The Independence Bowl   (whoever the current corporate sponsor of the day is...it used to be the Poulan Weedeater Independence Bowl)   is actually somewhat in danger of being canceled.    Why?:

Because it pits  Florida State vs.  Southern Miss.    But the problem is, see that to be Bowl eligible, a team is supposed to have won 6 games......against FBS opponents.    Except that FSU...while they have 6 wins.....one of them came against an FCS school, and those wins are not supposed to count.   

The Bowl selection committee clearly fuyucked up here.  They apparently cannot even read a schedule.  FSU should have been  crossed off the list of eligible bowl teams from the outset...but somehow this got past them.  Probably because they are such a big name, and the bowl guys said "ooh, well, they are 6-6, so that's good enough...not realizing one win isn't supposed to count..

Now, I expect that since the bowl was awarded, and tickets sold, and the TV scheduled, and the plane/bus whatever took them to Shreveport where the game is to be played, that is will go forward.  But from here on out, they will have to be more aware of who they are offering bowl bids to.

To me...it would serve them right to cancel this game, because then it would be a message to these ACC/SEC etc. team to STOP scheduling these FCS cupcake games.   But, of course, that would not be fair to So. Miss...or to the fans or sponsors etc. that played the game.    But a serious warning should be made:   Wins vs. FCS opponents DO NOT count toward bowl eligibility. 

A. This game is in no danger of being cancelled.

B. Merely miscounting the D1 wins wasn't the oversight here. It was stupid. But no one's THAT stupid. It had to do with the percentage of scholarship players or something like that of one of these schools. It's part of the bowl qualification rules that very few teams know about.

2 hours ago, wargograw said:

I never said there was any danger.....and I don't know about counting "scholarships"    I thought that there are in fact differences in the number of scholarships allowed between FCS and FBS.   I thought the scholarship limit was one of the thing that distinguished between FCS and FBS.     Or is it just "attendance".

On 12/23/2017 at 2:19 PM, wargograw said:

“The Independence Bowl is actually somewhat in danger of being cancelled.”

Yes....that was the headline that I repeated....and what I meant was that by rule....it should have been cancelled....and some discussion was had....mostly in the media about it being cancelled...but, in reality....it was never going to be canceled due to the money that would be lost.

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

Mhmm. Suuuuure

Sure...by rule  FSU should never have been awarded a bowl game in the first place....and by rule their participation in a bowl game should have been denied...either by cancellation or substitution.   But the fact is:  Money won out over the rules.

Do you disagree with that?

15 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Sure...by rule  FSU should never have been awarded a bowl game in the first place....and by rule their participation in a bowl game should have been denied...either by cancellation or substitution.   But the fact is:  Money won out over the rules.

Do you disagree with that?

That's not what we were talking about. The game never had a prayer of being cancelled. You said it did. 

And yes, I disagree with that since FSU showed the proof that everything was on the up and up.

6 hours ago, wargograw said:

That's not what we were talking about. The game never had a prayer of being cancelled. You said it did. 

And yes, I disagree with that since FSU showed the proof that everything was on the up and up.

I am saying that by rule it could/should be cancelled.   So I guess there was some prayer in their.  But no, it was not going to happen.

Archived