THE BROWNS BOARD

Jigsaw review

Jigsaw
Lionsgate
R.           92 min
There are a few many postmodern horror films that can be considered icons of these genre and have generated multiple remakes and invitations. The EXORCIST, TEXAS CHAINSAW, even FRIDAY the 13th and HALLOWEEN have been, very much like Frankenstein’s monster, kept alive well beyond there natural existence. We all thought that the SAW odyssey was over back in 2010 with SAW 6 in 3D. But  like Jason in FRIDAY 13, just when it looks like something has been beaten completely to death lo and behold it rears its ugly head again! So thanks to either a renewed burst of energy for the series or a dearth of any other Halloween ideas we get the latest chapter in the saga entitled JIGSAW after the antagonist of the series. I don’t think it’s much of a spoiler to tell you, yeah, he still alive.  Tobin Bell has back on board to reprise his Jigsaw character and one has to marvel at the good fortune of this guy who has landed in a never-ending franchise and does as little actual work as the Maytag repairman or Mr. Whipple in the toilet paper commercials. And with less actual talent! I honestly don’t remember the names of the rest of the cast and I’m too lazy to look them up because, seriously, who cares?
One nice thing about the multi-year hiatus is that a lot of people have probably forgotten about the previous six, which brings me to a bad news, good news situation. The bad news is, sure, it’s most definitely the same old Sheet. The good news? Well if you like that Sheet the first time you’ll probably like it again.
You may recall I thought the original saw was a standout among horror movies. A break from the usual slashers Etc. with enough gore to gross out most normal people and enough of a mystery to make you wonder actually what the hell was going on. Jigsaw himself is kind of a lunatic Rube Goldberg who designs and builds elaborate death machines in which to trap his victims, all of which who have fallen short of his own moral code somewhere and their lives, and are asked to pay the price for their previous transgressions by participating in one of his deadly games. There’s actually no chance, well not much of one anyway, of getting away scot-free. Almost everybody will die a horrible death or at least leave the game mutilated. Unlike your natural vigilante, Dexter for instance, the crimes these people have been charged with are more crimes of negligence than pure evil. For instance maybe somebody stole a purse which contained asthma medicine and the victim dies of an attack.
This entry opens up with a group of victims with buckets chained to their head (kind of like a roundhouse weekend from hell) attached to a pulley that will drag them toward a series of buzz saws, and the game is afoot. Especially for one of the victims but you can see for yourselves.
The Side Story features a dirty cop and a few very strange doctors who may or may not be involved with the deadly festivities. Oh don’t worry you’ll eventually find out who and why but finding that out is part of the decidedly meager entertainment that JIGSAW provides. Actually that’s more entertainment than you will find in any of the FRIDAY THE 13th movies or any of the rip offs which feature nothing but a series of high school or college kids getting chopped up and screaming. 
I’m sure it will still be in theaters the week after Halloween so if this is your thing go for it. For fans of horror movies I give this one the slightest recommendation possible.
C+
WSS

Archived