THE BROWNS BOARD

Dorsey Hired

Adoug319

26 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:
  1. Not "well thought of" in "many", means he is well thought of by some.
  2. How many "circles" are you in?

I can only read what is on put online....but we'll see if he gets another GM level job.  My guess is no.  no point in taking the pr hit- like it or not, the first thing people think about when Sashi is mentioned are Carson Wentz and 1-whatever it was....

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dorsey says anything less than a division title next year is a disappointment.

ok... so we have that going for us. He also said when we die... we will achieve eternal conciousness.

On 12/14/2017 at 12:27 PM, The Gipper said:

Actually....he was more critical of the Ray Famer regime than the Sachi regime.   He said he has no clue why a team would pick someone #8 overall (Justin Gilbert) when they didn't even go to scout him...or talk to him...and learn that he was completely blase about playing football. 

I remember Brandon Weeden going on record, maybe a year after Gilbert was drafted, saying something to the effect of "If the Browns had asked me, and they didn't, I would have told them that I would recommend them taking a hard pass on (Weeden's ex-OK State teammate) Justin Gilbert."

Justin Gilbert absolutely killed us. He was supposed to be someone that impacted the game on a weekly basis, and we all know the story. Many other teams, including the Steelers, desperately wanted to draft Justin, so it wasn't just us who goofed. Still, we screwed up and took him, and we're still paying for it. 

The dream draft for many fans is a QB at #1, and then Minkah Fitzpatrick. Mock drafts are streaming out by the dozens, and while we all know the real draft will look drastically different, it's safe to say that getting Minkah will take an act of God. The Texans will have to lose out, AND we'll need some immense luck for him to fall to us. However, many didn't believe Malik Hooker would be available to us last year, and when he fell into our laps, we didn't draft him and we traded back (shocking I know). Hooker was having a typical rookie season before a serious knee injury, but he still flashed big time potential. Anybody see big time potential from Jabril Peppers? Didn't think so. 

My advice to Dorsey would be to "keep it simple, stupid". Don't try to be the smartest person in the room. If a renowned talent is available to you early in the first year, TAKE HIM. Don't trade back in hopes of drafting a player without a real position who will be forced to play somewhere he doesn't really fit because you're too stupid to draft a guy with any experience (ahem, Peppers again). And if you DO trade down in the first round, don't go so far back that you miss out on the best talent. Many fans will groan reading this, but trading down isn't always the worst idea. If we get our QB at 1, and then there's a QB desperate team who wants to move up to our Texans pick, then fleece them. But make SURE you don't fall all the way into the 20's. The other thing is, draft football players with POSITIONS. We don't have TIME for freaking projects right now. We need draft picks that will translate to production. Obviously there's no sure fire way to get this right, but again...I direct you to the Peppers pick. 

John Dorsey has repeatedly said that he will take the "best player available". That's fine and good, but the best player available also MUST fill a hole. It shouldn't be difficult because we have so many, but FILL THE DARN HOLES. We need QB, WR, RB on offense. We need CB, FS, and a linebacker who can freaking COVER SOMEBODY on defense. I would basically guarantee that we're taking a free safety and a CB with two of our first 5 picks. Heck, we might even take TWO corners with those picks. It's a PASSING LEAGUE people, and there's a direct correlation to stopping the pass and WINNING games. Jacksonville is great at stopping it. Playoffs. Baltimore is great at it. Winning record. Pittsburgh. Playoffs. Go back and look at the top ten teams defending the pass, and look at their record. Where do WE rank? 30th. 

2 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

I remember Brandon Weeden going on record, maybe a year after Gilbert was drafted, saying something to the effect of "If the Browns had asked me, and they didn't, I would have told them that I would recommend them taking a hard pass on (Weeden's ex-OK State teammate) Justin Gilbert."

Well....this just illustrates how bad a job Ray Farmer did.  He wouldn't even scout or interview a guy he drafts at @8 overall....and he wouldn't even ask a player on his own team that played with him about him.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:37 AM, Kvoethe said:

Dorsey says anything less than a division title next year is a disappointment.

Is it just me or is this a tad out of line with his assessment of roughly half the locker room?

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Is it just me or is this a tad out of line with his assessment of roughly half the locker room?

Very weird.

The previous people in charge of procuring players did not get real players, but in one year the Browns will win the division title.

Someone needs to tackle Dorsey the next time someone plants a microphone in front of his pie-hole.

18 minutes ago, Dutch Oven said:

Very weird.

The previous people in charge of procuring players did not get real players, but in one year the Browns will win the division title.

Someone needs to tackle Dorsey the next time someone plants a microphone in front of his pie-hole.

Gee whiz boys what kind of an attitude do you want the guy to take? I think every coach every assistant and every front office Jag should be disappointed with every game they lose. I think winning the division is a fine goal.

WSS

OK... this is LaCancera, so consider the source, but...

Report: New GM John Dorsey May Recommend Browns Coaching Change At Season’s End

By Daryl Ruiter | 92.3 The FanDecember 17, 2017 at 10:13 am

CLEVELAND (92.3 The Fan) – Browns head coach Hue Jackson might not be on as solid of ground as owner Jimmy Haslam has proclaimed.

CBS Sports NFL insider Jason LaCanfora reports that new general manager John Dorsey may advise Haslam to make another coaching change at season’s end.

Dorsey, who was hired on Dec. 7 as Haslam’s fourth GM since buying the Browns in 2012, has been keeping close tabs on everything going on inside the building. Dorsey has been extremely visible – but quiet – during team meetings while observing how Jackson and his coaching staff operates.

Haslam said that Jackson, who enters Sunday’s game 1-28 as head coach in Cleveland, would return in 2018 when it was announced Sashi Brown was fired. Haslam repeated those comments during Dorsey’s introductory press conference the following day.

Since taking over as general manager 10 days ago, Dorsey has been critical of Brown and the state of the team’s roster, so it would stand to reason he wouldn’t be crazy about keeping a head coach that hasn’t won a football game in 2017.

The one thing you’ve not heard Dorsey say or talk about – how well he feels the Browns are or aren’t coached.

Because of the volatility of the franchise under the Haslams that has seen them fire 3 head coaches, 4 general managers, 2 team presidents and a CEO since assuming control of the team in late Oct. 2012, they’ve been resistant to making yet another round of changes at the coaching level but Dorsey could influence that heavily.

http://cleveland.cbslocal.com/2017/12/17/report-new-gm-john-dorsey-may-recommend-browns-coaching-change/

15 minutes ago, TexasAg1969 said:

I think he's right. No one survives an 0-16 after a 1-15. No one.

Yep, I just don't see how that's remotely possible. If there was a thread on predicting when or if Hue will be fired, my guess would be "Officially announced Monday morning, after the last game".

Archived