THE BROWNS BOARD

Sashi fired

Adoug319

4 hours ago, Zombo said:

There ya go ... I knew Hue hated that Shmucker but Sashi wanted to stubbornly stand behind the money he spent on him.

Anlytics liked his career path ... but Kenny just wanted to get paid.

Z

There was nothing that analytics liked about Britt's career path.  An 8th or whatever year wide reciever who finally managed to catch significant over 50% over his targets and had decentcounting stats the year before(but in his whole career before that been underwhelming given his targets and appearances) is not an analytical favorite.  the exaa ct opposite actually.

Analytics are NOT to blame for some of the bad picks and the britt signing.  Sashi is to blame for those.  But we need to use data driven methodology going forward with scouting....to abandon data driven approach(looking at the right data) would be a huge mistake.  Some would say we need to actually start doing it rather than talking about it.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sashi was the demolition crew sent in to do a job. He's a numbers guy and got us TONS of money to do the job. 

We always knew that a football guy was kinda sorta needed to balance out the analytics. Sashi's job had run it's course, and we're the better off for it now. 

I didn't like some of the moves, as they were tough, but we kind of knew it was coming. A total rebuild. I hope that Dorsey is the guy that can now use this opportunity to build a masterpiece. Sashi's done the leg work and got to be the bad guy. All in all, I like Sashi. Big finger Sashi Brown. Hopefully we don't ever have to go through that again. We have a nice solid foundation, now it's time to put up the walls. 

8 hours ago, Zombo said:

There ya go ... I knew Hue hated that Shmucker but Sashi wanted to stubbornly stand behind the money he spent on him.

Anlytics liked his career path ... but Kenny just wanted to get paid.

Z

And they were all just one big happy family relying on "consensus". Seems like the other voices in the room were being summarily ignored. 

28 minutes ago, boo fagley said:

I already know about this season injury.

If Watson was injured as a Freshman, he evidently suffered no ill effects leading Clemson to a Championship. 

Of course.

But if you have two ankle* injuries (idk if the first one was with contact or not) at the age of 22, the odds that you are going to have more ankle injuries are really high. 

EDIT: I meant knee.

15 hours ago, BaconHound said:

After watching the Haslam/Dorsey interview I got the impression that Jimmy did not believe enough talent was being brought into the organization.  I don't think he took issue with Sashi's strategy of accumulating picks but wanted someone on the room that could evaluate talent.  If Jimmy doesn't feel that the talent level is there I don't think he's going to blame the coach.

Well...there it is.   Not enough talent.   Primarily at QB.   Obviously we can question Sashi in other areas  (4 non productive WRs in the same draft), but his choices in respect to the most important position in sports is the issue.

21 hours ago, wargograw said:

Where did I ever say we were going to stick with it? Tour has said that, not me. In fact my great fear was fan pressure would be so great Jimmy would pull the plug and I argued with everyone here say after day week after week in hopes they’d calm down and it wouldn’t happen. 

Yeah, that was me, not you.

But it is funny how the fanbase as represented here now want to wash their hands of the decision.

15 hours ago, Tacosman said:

There was nothing that analytics liked about Britt's career path.  An 8th or whatever year wide reciever who finally managed to catch significant over 50% over his targets and had decentcounting stats the year before(but in his whole career before that been underwhelming given his targets and appearances) is not an analytical favorite.  the exaa ct opposite actually.

Analytics are NOT to blame for some of the bad picks and the britt signing.  Sashi is to blame for those.  But we need to use data driven methodology going forward with scouting....to abandon data driven approach(looking at the right data) would be a huge mistake.  Some would say we need to actually start doing it rather than talking about it.

Bad guess, sparky...

"I like the analytics approach, so this is not about picking on Brown. But in the case of Britt, the analytics failed. He was highly rated by Football Outsiders and other analytics sites because Britt caught 68 passes for 1,002 yards last season. That was with the Rams, when quarterbacks Case Keenum and Goff were both having miserable years.

The 29-year-old Britt had never played for a very good quarterback in any of his eight seasons before joining the Browns. So the projection was Britt could be productive in Cleveland, even with its quarterback problems." - Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/12/cleveland_browns_sashi_brown_john_dorsey.html

Interesting progression in these exchanges...

16 hours ago, boo fagley said:

Got a link on the 2nd blown out knee?

Translation: I did not know this was Watson's 2nd. It could be important.

11 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

The second one just happened this year. His first torn ACL was in 2014. Don’t you google? 

Translation: I'll do the work for you this time, dumba$$.

7 hours ago, boo fagley said:

I already know about this season injury.

If Watson was injured as a Freshman, he evidently suffered no ill effects leading Clemson to a Championship. 

Translation: I am not a dumba$$. Now I'll pretend the injury history is immaterial.

6 hours ago, boo fagley said:

The ACL is in the knee.

It does not mean that he will have more. Rolls Royce is wrong. Watson is not the runner like RG3. RG3 rushed for an average 8 carries per game and 815 yards his rookie season. Watson isnt close to that and has been torching teams with his arm.

Translation: I'll dazzle this one with my anatomical knowledge, claim Royce is wrong and then carefully select a rushing stat to support my case ignoring the fact that Watson was a 1000-yd rusher at Clemson in 2015... a mark RG3 never touched either in college or as a pro... plus ignore that RG's rookie QB Rating (102.4) was indistinguishable from Watson's (103.0).

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Interesting progression in these exchanges...

Translation: I did not know this was Watson's 2nd. It could be important.

Translation: I'll do the work for you this time, dumba$$.

Translation: I am not a dumba$$. Now I'll pretend the injury history is immaterial.

Translation: I'll dazzle this one with my anatomical knowledge, claim Royce is wrong and then carefully select a rushing stat to support my case ignoring the fact that Watson was a 1000-yd rusher at Clemson in 2015... a mark RG3 never touched either in college or as a pro... plus ignore that RG's rookie QB Rating (102.4) was indistinguishable from Watson's (103.0).

My, getting testy today Tour.  :)   

you haven’t been watching Watson at all. He averaged 40 yards rushing per game over seven games, and yes, it is a huge part of his game. You have some media fueled idea of what Watson is, but he’s a guy with a good, not great arm.  He had success because his receiving corps is elite, and he was able to keep defenses off balance by being a threat to run the ball. 

Lets take the personal attacks out of it (even though you’re clearly Retarded) and look at it objectively. He’s a 6’2” 220lb QB who’s success relies on his ability to run the ball. He’s had two ACL tears before the age of 23 and doesn’t have the accuracy or velocity to do it with his arm alone against nfl defenses.... 

maybe Watson will end up bucking the trend, but I’m gonna have to see a whole lot more than 7 games before I’ll regret the Browns not spending 2 first round picks on the guy. 

16 hours ago, boo fagley said:

a. The fact that Watson was a 1000 rusher back in college is irrelevant since the discussion is regarding Watsons NFL game. Only a moron would interject that fun fact into this conversation. Different team, different coaches, different offense. Bill Obrien runs the NE offense which is a pass first offense. But, you already knew that because youre a genius.

b. Once more for the dim bulbs, irrelevant that RG3 never reached 1000 yards back at Baylor since the conversation is about the NFL.

c. RGs NFL game was to run. Watsons NFL game is to pass.

OK, so you think that any NFL executive that decides to pick a mobile athletic quaterback that runs for many yards, when making his mind up and getting the quaterback in the team, decides to forget his assets as a runner and ignore that part of his game?

The NE Patriots have a pass first offense because their quaterback for 17 years has been Tom Brady, a guy with great assets as QB but not a good runner. And you know what? They adapt their playbook to their QB's abilities.

Thinking that a college quaterback is going to completely change his game in the pros is a huge leap. Cam Newton is an athletic QB and has suffered shoulder injuries and concussions, but still runs every game. 

Also, I did some research. 

RGIII had 8 carries per game and 815 yards in his rookie season. 

Watson had 5.1 carries per game and 269 yards in 7 games (6 and a half, first game he played second half). At that rate, he would had a season posting more than 600 yards rushing. Not close enough?

If Watson's NFL play is to pass, he might be get injured when he decides not to. He has enough attempts to be  a bit concerned about his future.

On 12/9/2017 at 2:37 PM, hoorta said:

My, getting testy today Tour.  :)   

Phuck you, h... ;)

14 hours ago, RoyceRolls said:

Lets take the personal attacks out of it (even though you’re clearly Retarded)...

lmao...

38 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Phuck you, h... ;)

I still love you Tour.  I'm smiling Getting that banner ready to lead the pack "THE PROCESS PARADE". OK, that was sort of mean. But saying I have no idea of how consensus works is way off base. 

Damn, I was (almost) hopeful it was going to be a win today..... Another brownout

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, Tour2ma said:

Yeah, that was me, not you.

But it is funny how the fanbase as represented here now want to wash their hands of the decision.

Bad guess, sparky...

"I like the analytics approach, so this is not about picking on Brown. But in the case of Britt, the analytics failed. He was highly rated by Football Outsiders and other analytics sites because Britt caught 68 passes for 1,002 yards last season. That was with the Rams, when quarterbacks Case Keenum and Goff were both having miserable years.

The 29-year-old Britt had never played for a very good quarterback in any of his eight seasons before joining the Browns. So the projection was Britt could be productive in Cleveland, even with its quarterback problems." - Terry Pluto

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index.ssf/2017/12/cleveland_browns_sashi_brown_john_dorsey.html

bzzzt...one of the foundations of an analytics approach is, when a player has a long track record, don't rely too much on one outlier year.  Sashi did that.  classic mistake.  look at his other seven years. 

2 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

It's almost like gutting the team and rebuilding it was going to be a rough process

1) the Peanut Gallery has said numerous times a total gutting was unnecessary.

2) Bet the ranch Sashi, and whoever was in charge (hey War I'm waiting on who the hell WAS making all these 1\2 a$$ decisions) didn't expect the rebuild to be a total $hit show. 

6 hours ago, Tacosman said:

bzzzt...one of the foundations of an analytics approach is, when a player has a long track record, don't rely too much on one outlier year.  Sashi did that.  classic mistake.  look at his other seven years. 

And another foundation of analytics is having a grasp of statistics.... which you clearly do not as evidenced by your apparent reliance on "total yardage" to determine what was "an outlier".

4 hours ago, hoorta said:

(hey War I'm waiting on who the hell WAS making all these 1\2 a$$ decisions)

A person who truly understands the consensus process would not ask this question.

5 hours ago, hoorta said:

1) the Peanut Gallery has said numerous times a total gutting was unnecessary.

2) Bet the ranch Sashi, and whoever was in charge (hey War I'm waiting on who the hell WAS making all these 1\2 a$$ decisions) didn't expect the rebuild to be a total $hit show. 

If you want to know so bad then search the last 6x you asked this question.

Archived