THE BROWNS BOARD

Kiper, McShay answer 25 questions on the 2018 NFL draft

Tour2ma

Love 'em or hate 'em... or both... they are two of the bigger voices in the draft.

4-1/2 minute vid apparently only covers the QB prospects. In about the same amount of time you can get that and every other position from the transcription.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/21665021/2018-nfl-draft-primer-mel-kiper-todd-mcshay-answer-25-questions-prospects-rankings-mock-draft

I still wouldn't sit on Mason Rudolph.   If these guys don't like him in round one....if he is more of a round 3 guy.....I would take him....even if you take a guy in round one.

In fact, given the Browns needs....and their draft "assets"  I am not opposed...at all...to doing the  RGIII/Cousins thing.

If some...particularly the Browns FO is concerned about what some say about Rosen:  that he is not all that into the game...that he is not well liked.  Well taking him....THEN taking another QB after him would be sublime....because it could very well light a fire under his butt and then we would see if he loves the game or not.  And if he fails....then you have another option....just like the Redskins did.  

And Beyond that, we would still have 4 other picks in the first two rounds to get them all some help on offense and defense.

http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20171031/SPORTS/171039855

Still, ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay believes in Allen as an NFL QB as a first-round pick. He recently pointed out on ESPN.com that Allen lost a lot of players from 2016, when the Wyoming QB threw for more than 3,000 yards and 28 touchdowns.

“Allen will be better as a pro,” said McShay at ESPN.com. “I think he has the best arm in this class. He can make strong throws from any platform. That has gotten him into trouble at times. (This season) he has some bad turnovers and pedestrian overall numbers.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/17/2018-nfl-draft-quarterbacks-qb-rankings-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-lamar-jackson-josh-allen

1. Sam Darnold, USC (35 points, 4 first-place votes, appeared on all 8 ballots): Darnold’s been uneven this year, without question, having already matched his interception total from last year. But the feeling I’ve gotten is that scouts will cut him some slack because of the offensive line issues the Trojans are having. The biggest criticism is that he’s trying to do too much, not unlike what Jameis Winston his final year at Florida State.

2. Josh Rosen, UCLA (34 points, 3 first-place votes, 8 ballots): The Bruins are 3-3, but it’s hard to pin that on Rosen. He’s played from behind a bunch and still has the best completion percentage of his career (64.2) while throwing for 2,354 yards and 17 touchdowns through six games. That said, he’s been a little sloppy with the ball at times.

3. Josh Allen, Wyoming (23 points, 1 first-place vote, 8 ballots): Allen’s numbers are mediocre and his team is 4-2. But there’s youth all around him and scouts trust the talent. One voter put him first, and another put him in front of Rosen.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/25/wyoming-qb-josh-allen-looks-like-john-elway/

looks like Elway LOVES THE GAME... Allen, Darnold are my top two qbs. Allen just suits me as the perfect

qb to bring on board. Darnold would be ready to play faster, I suppose. If Denver drafts Allen and he turns out

to be the next Elway...

I'm going to freaking never let the Browns forgit it.:mellow:

4 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You never know.  Like 2012...he may not go until round 3....but he may turn out the best. (2012...Wilson)

No on Rudolph. Wilson's ONLY knock was his size. Rudolph has many issues, arm strength being one of them. As we've learned you CAN'T have a weak arm and play QB in Cleveland...

I'm not sold on Rudolph right now. As we know, the qb's will be completely dissected in the coming months, and we'll know more about each guy. My eye test tells me Rosen has the most talent and is probably the best player to come in and have an immediate impact. Something I'd like to know would be Rosen's red zone stats. Honestly, Kizer has been good enough to win multiple games everywhere BUT in the red zone. I'd also like to know Kizer's red zone stats in college. Unless we can get the ball to around the 1 yard line, we're not scoring a touchdown with Kizer in the game. I'm not exaggerating either. 

It was so bad against the Bolts that we literally had 2 plays in a row where Kizer just threw the ball up in the air to Njoku. Neither were close. We looked desperate, panicky, and completely unable to execute. This is nothing new, as we all know. Whenever we get in the red zone, we run with Crow on 1st down and get stuffed. Then we try another safe pass that gets nowhere, and then we try the stupid fade. Everything has to be extremely safe because Hue doesn't trust Kizer to attack the middle, and why would he? You cannot consistently score in the red zone calling safe plays. The windows are smaller, the angles tighter, and timing must be exact. Can Kizer improve on this in year 2? I seriously don't know. Rookie qb's traditionally struggle in red zone execution, but Kizer takes it to another awful level. 

Something else I want to know about Rosen. Does he ever take snaps from under center? Here's a stat for you:  Kizer has only attempted 45 passes while taking the snap from under center, and he has a staggering SIX interceptions and 1 TD in those 45 attempts. Let that sink in for a while. NFL QBs have to be able to execute under center in most NFL offenses. Kizer SEVERELY limits Hue Jackson on what plays he can call, and that HAS to be frustrating for him.  

I have a strong feeling that Josh Allen will be an excellent NFL starting QB but his talent would be wasted with the Browns.  Josh Allen needs to be groomed by a team that sees him impacting the team and league in 2 to 3 seasons.  That's why I believe that he would be a great fit in Pittsburgh.  The QB for the Browns is someone that can bring his talent to bear right now, having said that I think that Josh Rosen would the best.  There are plenty of concerns with having a rookie start, having been through a DeShone Kiser season but Josh Rosen appears to have the tools and experience to adapt to the NFL game more quickly.  Of course my thoughts could be off base and Browns pick a right guard from Ozarks Technical Community College first in the draft...Go Eagles!!!   

12 hours ago, Dutch Oven said:

Sweet Jesus, it's official: calfox has reached PoG/Hogan level of man-crush on Allen.

I was just thinking that.  

Perhaps those two buggerers  (PoG and Cal) should hook up.  If they can't get buggered by their man crushes at least they can bugger each other.

11 hours ago, thenew23 said:

No on Rudolph. Wilson's ONLY knock was his size. Rudolph has many issues, arm strength being one of them. As we've learned you CAN'T have a weak arm and play QB in Cleveland...

I don't know where you are getting this "arm strength" issue from.  In the couple of games I saw him play, if there was a problem it was that he may have been a bit too much Derek Anderson/Weeden/Kizer.  Tons of arm strength...but needed better touch.

And aside from that. ask Brian Sipe if having a weak arm means you can't play in Cleveland.

41 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

Perhaps those two buggerers  (PoG and Cal) should hook up.  If they can't get buggered by their man crushes at least they can bugger each other.

At least they have made a stand with their guy...

You should try it sometime.

14 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

At least they have made a stand with their guy...

You should try it sometime.

I have, you know it.   On the MT thing. How soon you forget.

Maybe YOU should practice what you preach, Mr. Wishy washy.

You can't even decide what you want to bet on over Sashi being out....beyond it being something from a "fountain". i could give you 3 pennies from a fountain.

14 minutes ago, The Gipper said:

I have, you know it.   On the MT thing. How soon you forget.

I guess that could explain your cautioning others...

6 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

I guess that could explain your cautioning others...

It explains why I am not jumping on board anyone's bandwagon.  That, and the fact that I am not seeing anyone distinguish themselves much out there. 

And I see that yet again...you  apostasize on our bet.  Are you still washing your wish. 

Or...should we add Dally to your Dilly.

8 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Watch yourself Gipper.

cal will get his MAGA butt buddy DieHard and they'll run to the moderators and tell on you.

20 hours ago, The Gipper said:

It explains why I am not jumping on board anyone's bandwagon.  That, and the fact that I am not seeing anyone distinguish themselves much out there. 

And I see that yet again...you  apostasize on our bet.  Are you still washing your wish. 

Or...should we add Dally to your Dilly.

Fine... here's my counter to your definition of "our bet".

• $100 bet.
  • I say Sashi stays in his current role atop the existing consensus process.
  • You say he goes or the consensus process is overridden.

We'll leave the "demoted" on the sideline, since we'd only end up arguing about the impact of any ancillary personnel change(s).

As for the QBs... First, you have to look to see... and I don't mean read a list. Rudolph was your guy. He was going to "likely go #1 overall less than a week ago... according to you (and CBS Sports). Now you can't even find him as a Day 1 pick. So you've retreated.

2 hours ago, Tour2ma said:

Fine... here's my counter to your definition of "our bet".

• $100 bet.
  • I say Sashi stays in his current role atop the existing consensus process.
  • You say he goes or the consensus process is overridden.

We'll leave the "demoted" on the sideline, since we'd only end up arguing about the impact of any ancillary personnel change(s).

As for the QBs... First, you have to look to see... and I don't mean read a list. Rudolph was your guy. He was going to "likely go #1 overall less than a week ago... according to you (and CBS Sports). Now you can't even find him as a Day 1 pick. So you've retreated.

I haven't retreated.  As far as I am concerned....Rudolph is still in play.  I also said I was not joining or starting any Camp after what happened last year.

(but I WAS justified last year....MT was taken #2)

And I already said that I am letting you off the hook for anything but the HFS. 

21 minutes ago, Tour2ma said:

Can't believe you did not accept the bet given the turn of events.

I didn't see your post until after I heard about the firing.   So it would have been an ex post facto acceptance. So, you are off the hook as I said...except for the HSF. 

Don't you think that's fair? ;)

Not accepting the bet once the news is out is honorable... is right.

Claiming a wager that was never agreed to is neither.

Archived