THE BROWNS BOARD

Ryan Shazier Injury

D Bone

Man, I sure hope it turns out to be something else, but Ryan sure looked paralyzed from the waist down tonight...... These dudes deserve every single penny they make. 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was an ugly game, lots of penalties. Cincy can't seem to keep their composure vs Pitt, ever. Franchise record for penalty yardage in a game.

I can't stand L Bell, but the guy can play. Pitt has so many weapons, hard to believe they just don't roll every week. 

16 minutes ago, Clevfan4life said:

Yup, exactly as i thought. Just watched it. Speared the runners thigh with his crown. Not really much more to say about it. He keeps his eyes up and he's playing right now

Why him and not Harrison?

And thing is player after player did the same throughout the rest of the game.

Also just occurred to me... when was the last time we saw the NFL PSL on their Heads-Up youth programs?

20 minutes ago, Bob806 said:

It was an ugly game, lots of penalties. Cincy can't seem to keep their composure vs Pitt, ever. Franchise record for penalty yardage in a game.

I can't stand L Bell, but the guy can play. Pitt has so many weapons, hard to believe they just don't roll every week. 

Yep, ugly for sure. Laundry all over the place, vicious hits, even the weather was ugly. Pgh must be the worst 10-2 team I ever saw. Their defense made Dalton look like Johnny Unitas jr., and their offense took the first half off. I guess winning ugly is better than losing pretty, but if they play anything remotely like that against NE they are toast.

don't 'hate' anyone but i seriously dislike a bunch. shazier and others who lead to spear and hurt others (kiko alonzo, burfict, ) i believe are told to do so by their coaches....if not the owners would be suspending those players the next day instead of looking like ventriliquist dummy at 80 years old jerrah explaining away why they draft druggies and thugs.

those highlights show exactly why viewership of NFL is down 10 million a year as some douce does a nut rub dance as an opposing player lies unconscious on field.

hope shazier is not injured as stated, but if someone broke his leg i wouldn't shed a Shmucking tear.

btw, refs, once again threw game to shittesburgh. Shmuck them.

I am in Vegas. This was a disturbing game. Burfict got laid oit with a helmet hit.

What the fukck is wrong with these idiots. How can you watch this and not be sick to your stomach?

Vicious. Uncalled for. I may joke but this was not enjoyable to watch.

Great medicine or not wjen your legs quit, your prognosis is not good. 

I don't think the NFL is going to be around on the not too distand future.

These hate is worse than any Browns Steeler rivalry ever was.

Sad day for the sport we love.

I don't like either the Steelers or Bengals, but the cheap shots HAVE to stop before someone's life is lost. It just reinforces (at least in my mind) what I think should be done......

1) Player throwing the dirty hit ejected with loss of game check & suspended for the NEXT game (playoffs included).

2) If the hit results in injury to the other player, the offending player will be suspended for every game that the injured player misses due to said injury in addition to #1 above.

Too simple? Too harsh? Maybe, but it would send a much stronger message than "chump change" fines & the current slaps on the hands.

Just my opinion folks.

Mike

8 minutes ago, Canton Mike said:

I don't like either the Steelers or Bengals, but the cheap shots HAVE to stop before someone's life is lost. It just reinforces (at least in my mind) what I think should be done......

1) Player throwing the dirty hit ejected with loss of game check & suspended for the NEXT game (playoffs included).

2) If the hit results in injury to the other player, the offending player will be suspended for every game that the injured player misses due to said injury in addition to #1 above.

Too simple? Too harsh? Maybe, but it would send a much stronger message than "chump change" fines & the current slaps on the hands.

Just my opinion folks.

Mike

and when said player injured is the one who initiates cheap shot by leading/spearing with helmet?

27 minutes ago, miktoxic said:

and when said player injured is the one who initiates cheap shot by leading/spearing with helmet?

I had just thought of this after I posted, Mik. Of course, his "self inflicted" injury may be enough, but the loss of game check PLUS an additional game suspension would apply, suspension to be served immediately after recovery from his injury.

Mike

6 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

I am in Vegas. This was a disturbing game. Burfict got laid oit with a helmet hit.

What the fukck is wrong with these idiots. How can you watch this and not be sick to your stomach?

Give out a couple of lifetime bans and watch things clean up in a season.

Anyone who played football at any level can tell you without hesitation what happened to Ryan can happen to anyone. You practice heads up tackling your whole life, but sometimes that Sheet doesn't happen-it's the nature of the game.It's great there's more of an emphasis on it but it's not like they didn't teach proper tackling for a long time. It sounds like he's gonna be okay but that was scary as hell, hate to see it.

I don’t want to see, view or be part of anything animal or human getting hurt or killed.

Unfortunately it’s an everyday occurrence because of war or strife.

But for anyone to go in front of a mic and make some BS excuse to feel sorry for a perpetrator is like having an ex-boss come into court on my behalf and try explain away why it’s not my fault for going into McDonald’s and killing 16 people. Bad analogy maybe but think about how ridiculous these massive ego coaches walk around as if they don’t know their guy is carrying an AK.

The last player paralysis event I can recall is the NYG lineman who was landed on by a leaping defender in a FG situation IIRC. It led to the leaping rule.

I wrote a couple years ago about a "crown-of-the-helmet" rule. Although at the time I proposed it as a helmet-to-helmet alternative, I think we'll see it now and it will govern all contact, everywhere.

Sometimes rules are needed to protect people from themselves.

I'm not a lip-reader, but someone claims to be.

The problem with players and the NFL is that tackling = launching and leaving the ground.  Launching one's self off the ground like a war head is stupid and dangerous.  The solution can be easily fixed, IMO, and all we would need to do is look at the sport of Rugby.  In Rugby, they actually tackle.  Imagine that.  They pursue and wrap up the ball carrier, below the waste until a knee hits the ground.  Player is now "down".  I know it's not as exciting at seeing someone being paralyzed or knocked unconscious, but if we want to see Football survive, launching off the ground, to "Hit" a player with shoulders, helmet, etc., should be outlawed with immediate ejection, suspension and heavy fines.  

I'm not saying that Rugby is a safer sport as it's not and Rugby has it's own injuries to deal with, even players being paralyzed.  But perhaps with the protection that is given with the pads of football and forcing players to actually pursue, wrap, and "tackle" instead of launching, could bring about a positive change for the players themselves.  

In short, outlaw leaving the ground, other than to dive and swipe at the ankles of an opponent in front of you, should be immediately made illegal, personal foul, ejection, and a fine. 

Thoughts? 

3 hours ago, jrb12711 said:

Anyone who played football at any level can tell you without hesitation what happened to Ryan can happen to anyone. You practice heads up tackling your whole life, but sometimes that Sheet doesn't happen-it's the nature of the game.It's great there's more of an emphasis on it but it's not like they didn't teach proper tackling for a long time. It sounds like he's gonna be okay but that was scary as hell, hate to see it.

The prob is shazier never keeps his eyes up. Every hit is leading with his crown. When i saw people talking about this injury i hadnt seen it myself, but check post #2.....i knew it before i seen it. Its just what he does

14 minutes ago, Unsympathetic said:

He's not paralyzed.  Current diagnosis as released is spinal cord concussion.

Potentially less important to Ryan is the fact that he's no longer starting for me in fantasy on Thursday.

So? You can get concussions elsewhere besides the head?  I didn't see a prognosis.

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it: click on and read the link provided within the text you quoted..

Concussion was said night of injury / Contusion is what's said this morning / Won't be definitive until tomorrow evening or thereabouts.  Full recovery has been made from both.. concussion is 1-2 games at most [probably back if Sunday but since their next game is Thursday he'd miss this one regardless] while contusion is season-ending but not lingering.

2 hours ago, Clevfan4life said:

The prob is shazier never keeps his eyes up. Every hit is leading with his crown. When i saw people talking about this injury i hadnt seen it myself, but check post #2.....i knew it before i seen it. Its just what he does

According to who exactly? That's never something I noticed at Ohio State, and I don't watch the Steelers enough to know. If he always did that, he'd be dead. It doesn't take a football guru to know without looking he hurt himself that badly by leading with the crown. I'm just saying even though I was taught from age 10 to lead with the head up, this type of tackle just happens from time to time. It has nothing to do with "dirty", just reacting to the player who in this case dipped down oh so slightly to cause Shazier (and many others) to go at a different launch angle. That's always, always, always going to happen.

every hit in the NFl COULD end up being a Boom Boom Mancini fatal death blow.

hit them high and get concussion, neck or shoulder/chest injury. hit them square in the torso and rupture an organ. hit them low and they might never walk the same (if at all again).

is a multi-million $$$ contract worth that risk. obviously to 95% of athletes across all sports think so.

mama can live lovely in her mansion and she buries her kid.

until coaches and NFL demand proper tackling techniques the egos of douchebags like tomlin, harbaugh and lewis will continue to grow and dismiss such tactics as 'even-steven' payback.

1 hour ago, Unsympathetic said:

Your next mission, should you choose to accept it: click on and read the link provided within the text you quoted..

Concussion was said night of injury / Contusion is what's said this morning / Won't be definitive until tomorrow evening or thereabouts.  Full recovery has been made from both.. concussion is 1-2 games at most [probably back if Sunday but since their next game is Thursday he'd miss this one regardless] while contusion is season-ending but not lingering.

fake news needs instant answers even if wrong.

1 hour ago, jrb12711 said:

According to who exactly? That's never something I noticed at Ohio State, and I don't watch the Steelers enough to know. If he always did that, he'd be dead. It doesn't take a football guru to know without looking he hurt himself that badly by leading with the crown. I'm just saying even though I was taught from age 10 to lead with the head up, this type of tackle just happens from time to time. It has nothing to do with "dirty", just reacting to the player who in this case dipped down oh so slightly to cause Shazier (and many others) to go at a different launch angle. That's always, always, always going to happen.

I can't comment on his time at OSU, but i'll bet anything he had the habit back then too. But for sure since he's been with pgh the dude is constantly leading with his crown. Which when ur tackling ball carriers ur not gonna get whistled for. But he's hit QB's and defenseless receivers the exact same way he went for that tackle last night. I don't want to call it "dirty" necessarily...it's just ingrained habit. But when he puts that crown underneath the chin strap of defenseless receivers I cant help but think this is the pgh mentality coming out. Do it till you get flagged, chill, do it again later.

14 hours ago, Ghoolie said:

you might be right about the nfl not being around sometime in the future...who knows...i do know that i don't watch as much nfl football and it all started with the kapernick cowpoop...the rule chgs are so Shmucked up....one roughing the qb penalty might not be roughing in another game...i see this Sheet seems like a million times...i have free nfl sunday ticket for the last 3 yrs and have hardly watched it...did not see the shazier incident last night...did not even watch the game to the end....losing alot of interest overall. i do know this, most of my buds that i keep in touch with don't watch the nfl at all for yrs now....back in the day we all had our favorite teams...mine of course was the browns because of jim brown...we were all from eastern pa. and not a one of us rooted for the eagles...they were so bad back then...there were cowboys, vikings, colts, rams fans....boy those were the days....we all would raz each other when our teams would lose or win....i miss those days...

10 hours ago, Canton Mike said:

Just my opinion folks.

Mike

Right on the money Mike. The officials in this game should have been ejecting people left and right. There were likely 4 legit opportunities to eject players in the game. I also agree completely on the fines. $25K is about the same as standing in the corner for 15 minutes. Nuke whole game checks or multiple game checks and you MIGHT get their attention. Also if they actually start using ejections make it so if you get 2 you are done for the entire year. 

Archived