Sign in to follow this  
DieHardBrownsFan

Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama picked for College Playoff

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

Fair enough although those are completely different teams. They just played each other and proved that, too.

I'm quite positive you did not watch almost all of bama's games, or you saw them win 4 conference games by 30+? 

Stop whining about SEC bias. Everyone could easily argue there's Ohio State bias had they been chosen. Committee was going to look biased either way. Get over it. Don't lose by 30. 

Wisconsin blows. Every team in the top 10 would beat them.

You don't know that unless and until they play.  Wisc. has a stout offensive line, defensive line and running game. They play Miami in the Orange Bowl....so we shall see.

Nobody cares that Big 10 teams played an extra game against Purdue instead of some G5 team. Come up with something better.

Lets put it this way:   playing fewer in conference games allowed Georgia and Alabama to duck each other.  Instead...they each decided to play FCS teams.  Even if Alabama had to play Kentucky rather than Mercer...that would have been better.

They would have changed "there rules" that they established last year in order to put Ohio State in this year....

Maybe the only valid point you make....the same rules that were applied last year to OSU applied this year to Alabama.  I would not argue with that...not sure why anyone else would.

Like I said....I still think that the Committee did NOT want to establish a precedent by putting a 2 loss team into the Field of Four.  I don't think it would have mattered if OSU had lost by 30 points or 3 points to Iowa.

OHIO STATE DID NOT LEAVE THE NORTH EITHER

They have plenty of times in the past. They went to Oklahoma this year. They regularly have gone to the west coast to play Pac 12 teams.  Show us any time in the past 20 years that Alabama has ever gone out of the south to play anyone that was not a bowl game.

Your arguments are so bad.

Yeah, everyone knows the Iowa Hawkeyes are a super prolific offense. Are you serious right now?

13 hours ago, wargograw said:

I'm quite positive you did not watch almost all of bama's games, or you saw them win 4 conference games by 30+? 

Stop whining about SEC bias. Everyone could easily argue there's Ohio State bias had they been chosen. Committee was going to look biased either way. Get over it. Don't lose by 30. 

Obviously you didnt watch the games.  The sec was a dumpster fire of dog Sheet this year.  They have three ok teams.  Georgia is ok they run the ball well not a threat to pass,. Auburn and bama are the same not to mention bama is massively depleted on defense.  I think the committee put who the wanted in and it stems from the big ten leaving to go to fox but the pac12 got hosed too.  Yeah they both lost by 30 but there both conference champ in better conferences.  So the should have taken the conference titles and the 30 point loses and made them a wash then compared the three team.  It's not even close bama would be last.  Then holcut come out and say they made the decision on the assumption bama might get healthy.  cowpoop.  This was a set up and they made there mind up before the championship games.  

And the debate rages on maybe an 8 team playoff next year will help solve these debates an16 team playoff will practically eliminate them.......well except the 16 versus 17 controversy :lol:

........a D-1A long running pet peeve of mine. Hopefully they will catch up with the D-1AA, D-II, D-III, high school, etc.

7 hours ago, Babernakle said:

Obviously you didnt watch the games.  The sec was a dumpster fire of dog Sheet this year.  They have three ok teams.  Georgia is ok they run the ball well not a threat to pass,. Auburn and bama are the same not to mention bama is massively depleted on defense.  I think the committee put who the wanted in and it stems from the big ten leaving to go to fox but the pac12 got hosed too.  Yeah they both lost by 30 but there both conference champ in better conferences.  So the should have taken the conference titles and the 30 point loses and made them a wash then compared the three team.  It's not even close bama would be last.  Then holcut come out and say they made the decision on the assumption bama might get healthy.  cowpoop.  This was a set up and they made there mind up before the championship games.  

I think they had their minds made up when OSU got worked by a 7-5 team by 30 points. 

OSU had to destroy Wisconsin to make the committee forget that Iowa loss. They didn’t. I know you are homering out but at least attempt to be objective.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, LogicIsForSquares said:

I think they had their minds made up when OSU got worked by a 7-5 team by 30 points. 

OSU had to destroy Wisconsin to make the committee forget that Iowa loss. They didn’t. I know you are homering out but at least attempt to be objective.

Plus OSU sealed the deal beating WISC, all one loss teams in the final four.....easy out for the selection committee. 

Rank Logo Team Record
1 Clemson University Logo Clemson University 12-1
2 University of Oklahoma Logo University of Oklahoma 12-1
3 University of Georgia Logo University of Georgia 12-1
4 University of Alabama Logo University of Alabama 11-1
5 Ohio State University Logo Ohi8o State University 11-2
6 University of Wisconsin Logo University of Wisconsin 12-1

The final USA TODAY Sports college football re-rank of the regular season mirrors the College Football Playoff poll in leading with Clemson, Oklahoma and Georgia. Then we get into a debate.

The Playoff selection committee placed Alabama ahead of Ohio State in rounding out its four-team field of national semifinalists. Meanwhile, the re-rank leaps Ohio State ahead of the Crimson Tide following the Buckeyes’ win against once-unbeaten Wisconsin to win the Big Ten Conference.

Ohio State safety Damon Webb celebrates after making

Ohio State safety Damon Webb celebrates after making a fourth quarter interception against Wisconsin.  
THOMAS J. RUSSO, USA TODAY SPORTS

In total, the re-rank considered two factors in Ohio State’s corner while still considering the team’s ugly loss to Iowa in November. For one, the Buckeyes can tout a major-conference championship while Alabama finished second in its own division. Secondly, the Buckeyes’ two best wins – Wisconsin and Penn State – are better than the Tide’s most impressive win, against LSU.

On 12/5/2017 at 12:59 AM, tiamat63 said:

A bad team beat another bad team by 2 scores.   Shmuck me, I'm impressed.  

One was a national championship contender that played 89% of its games without the player without whom they suck (and relevant to this discussion, Bama got the elite 11%), and still scratched out 6-6, while the other is terrible. 

On 12/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, The Gipper said:

You don't know that unless and until they play.  Wisc. has a stout offensive line, defensive line and running game. They play Miami in the Orange Bowl....so we shall see.

Part of the committee's job is to speculate on these things.

Lets put it this way:   playing fewer in conference games allowed Georgia and Alabama to duck each other.  Instead...they each decided to play FCS teams.  Even if Alabama had to play Kentucky rather than Mercer...that would have been better.

Slightly better, sure. Still completely irrelevant to this discussion. 

They have plenty of times in the past. They went to Oklahoma this year. They regularly have gone to the west coast to play Pac 12 teams.  Show us any time in the past 20 years that Alabama has ever gone out of the south to play anyone that was not a bowl game.

The past has zero bearing on this year, and they did not go to Oklahoma  or anywhere else outside of Big 10 country this year.

On 12/5/2017 at 1:53 PM, Babernakle said:

No, I definitely did watch the games. I'd put my college football couch time up against absolutely anyone's this season. If by "three ok teams" you mean three in the top 10, yeah, the SEC has that. And LSU. And Mississippi State. So in a pretty bad year, it still has 5 teams which I would submit would have a solid shot at beating any Big 10 team this year. 

Bama's injured defenders are all back in time for the bowl, I believe. And you said that later in your post. Try to have some consistency.

Ohio State has a bigger national brand than Alabama. If you're going to pull out the cooky conspiracy theories, where exactly does that fit in? 

If you call the conference titles and 30 point losses a wash (which is pretty stupid), then Alabama is 11-1 and Ohio State is 10-1. Hmm. Still seems pretty simple. 

Lets put it this way:   playing fewer in conference games allowed Georgia and Alabama to duck each other.  Instead...they each decided to play FCS teams.  Even if Alabama had to play Kentucky rather than Mercer...that would have been better.

Strength of Schedule is absolutely relevant to this subject.   If you say that it is irrelevant, then you are saying there is no difference between playing an SEC team and an FCS team.  I know the SEC is weak right now....but that weak?

11 hours ago, wargograw said:

The past has zero bearing on this year, and they did not go to Oklahoma  or anywhere else outside of Big 10 country this year.

No they didn't that flag got planted at the 50 in the 'Shoe.  Love that Baker and all his doucheness.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:50 AM, wargograw said:

So you’re saying they pulled a ‘Bama this year?

I find It amusing that the SEC fans that complain about Ohio State not leaving Big 10 country, while the majority of bowl games are played in the SEC’s own backyard.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:36 AM, The Gipper said:

Lets put it this way:   playing fewer in conference games allowed Georgia and Alabama to duck each other.  Instead...they each decided to play FCS teams.  Even if Alabama had to play Kentucky rather than Mercer...that would have been better.

Strength of Schedule is absolutely relevant to this subject.   If you say that it is irrelevant, then you are saying there is no difference between playing an SEC team and an FCS team.  I know the SEC is weak right now....but that weak?

The delta in strength of schedule between Mercer and Kentucky (or Mercer and Indiana) shouldn't be enough to change anything. 

18 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

So you’re saying they pulled a ‘Bama this year?

I find It amusing that the SEC fans that complain about Ohio State not leaving Big 10 country, while the majority of bowl games are played in the SEC’s own backyard.

Surely this is a joke. It was an Ohio State fan that made the complaint about Alabama. I'm just pointing out Ohio State didn't leave its region either. I really could care less. College football is a regional game anyway. It's a really, REALLY stupid criticism and if an SEC fan used it I'd tell them the same thing.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

The delta in strength of schedule between Mercer and Kentucky (or Mercer and Indiana) shouldn't be enough to change anything. 

They’re both cupcakes, but one is an in conference competition and the other is an optional FCS cream puff.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

Surely this is a joke. It was an Ohio State fan that made the complaint about Alabama. I'm just pointing out Ohio State didn't leave its region either. I really could care less. College football is a regional game anyway. It's a really, REALLY stupid criticism and if an SEC fan used it I'd tell them the same thing.

OSU scheduled a home/home with a Big 12 team and played them this year and in OK last year. Please tell me the last time ‘Bama has done this.

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

They’re both cupcakes, but one is an in conference competition and the other is an optional FCS cream puff.

And they're both easy wins, so who cares?

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

OSU scheduled a home/home with a Big 12 team and played them this year and in OK last year. Please tell me the last time ‘Bama has done this.

So again, when evaluating the 2017 teams, how does this make a difference for anything? It doesn't. And Bama's played USC and FSU the last two years. Your criticism is really dumb.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:44 AM, Canton Dawg said:

Right.  And on occasion a league cupcake can jump up and bite you.   That will likely never happen with an FCS opponent.  Oh, it might happen to a Baylor (it did this year when Liberty beat them) or to a Michigan (App. St.)....but not to an Alabama.  There were plenty of times in the past when Mississippi St. was considered a cupcake....but you know what happened there. 

No, the SEC...and everyone else...is going to have to drop the FCS cupcakes and play a 9 game conf. schedule.

Except that we did clarify and state that Ohio State OFTEN leaves the region.  They went to Oklahoma, they went to Virginia Tech...they often go to the West Coast.

How many times in say, the last decade has Alabama ever gone out of region on a true road game?

On 12/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, The Gipper said:

There were plenty of times in the past when Mississippi St. was considered a cupcake....but you know what happened there. 

Alabama hasn't lost to them in 10 years? 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, The Gipper said:

Except that we did clarify and state that Ohio State OFTEN leaves the region.  They went to Oklahoma, they went to Virginia Tech...they often go to the West Coast.

How many times in say, the last decade has Alabama ever gone out of region on a true road game?

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the resumes THIS year.