THE BROWNS BOARD

Clemson, Oklahoma, Georgia and Alabama picked for College Playoff

11 hours ago, wargograw said:

The past has zero bearing on this year, and they did not go to Oklahoma  or anywhere else outside of Big 10 country this year.

No they didn't that flag got planted at the 50 in the 'Shoe.  Love that Baker and all his doucheness.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/7/2017 at 7:50 AM, wargograw said:

The past has zero bearing on this year, and they did not go to Oklahoma  or anywhere else outside of Big 10 country this year.

So you’re saying they pulled a ‘Bama this year?

I find It amusing that the SEC fans that complain about Ohio State not leaving Big 10 country, while the majority of bowl games are played in the SEC’s own backyard.

On 12/7/2017 at 10:36 AM, The Gipper said:

Lets put it this way:   playing fewer in conference games allowed Georgia and Alabama to duck each other.  Instead...they each decided to play FCS teams.  Even if Alabama had to play Kentucky rather than Mercer...that would have been better.

Slightly better, sure. Still completely irrelevant to this discussion. 

Strength of Schedule is absolutely relevant to this subject.   If you say that it is irrelevant, then you are saying there is no difference between playing an SEC team and an FCS team.  I know the SEC is weak right now....but that weak?

The delta in strength of schedule between Mercer and Kentucky (or Mercer and Indiana) shouldn't be enough to change anything. 

18 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

So you’re saying they pulled a ‘Bama this year?

I find It amusing that the SEC fans that complain about Ohio State not leaving Big 10 country, while the majority of bowl games are played in the SEC’s own backyard.

Surely this is a joke. It was an Ohio State fan that made the complaint about Alabama. I'm just pointing out Ohio State didn't leave its region either. I really could care less. College football is a regional game anyway. It's a really, REALLY stupid criticism and if an SEC fan used it I'd tell them the same thing.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

The delta in strength of schedule between Mercer and Kentucky (or Mercer and Indiana) shouldn't be enough to change anything. 

They’re both cupcakes, but one is an in conference competition and the other is an optional FCS cream puff.

5 hours ago, wargograw said:

Surely this is a joke. It was an Ohio State fan that made the complaint about Alabama. I'm just pointing out Ohio State didn't leave its region either. I really could care less. College football is a regional game anyway. It's a really, REALLY stupid criticism and if an SEC fan used it I'd tell them the same thing.

OSU scheduled a home/home with a Big 12 team and played them this year and in OK last year. Please tell me the last time ‘Bama has done this.

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

They’re both cupcakes, but one is an in conference competition and the other is an optional FCS cream puff.

And they're both easy wins, so who cares?

16 hours ago, Canton Dawg said:

OSU scheduled a home/home with a Big 12 team and played them this year and in OK last year. Please tell me the last time ‘Bama has done this.

So again, when evaluating the 2017 teams, how does this make a difference for anything? It doesn't. And Bama's played USC and FSU the last two years. Your criticism is really dumb.

On 12/10/2017 at 8:44 AM, Canton Dawg said:

Right.  And on occasion a league cupcake can jump up and bite you.   That will likely never happen with an FCS opponent.  Oh, it might happen to a Baylor (it did this year when Liberty beat them) or to a Michigan (App. St.)....but not to an Alabama.  There were plenty of times in the past when Mississippi St. was considered a cupcake....but you know what happened there. 

No, the SEC...and everyone else...is going to have to drop the FCS cupcakes and play a 9 game conf. schedule.

Except that we did clarify and state that Ohio State OFTEN leaves the region.  They went to Oklahoma, they went to Virginia Tech...they often go to the West Coast.

How many times in say, the last decade has Alabama ever gone out of region on a true road game?

On 12/11/2017 at 9:20 AM, The Gipper said:

There were plenty of times in the past when Mississippi St. was considered a cupcake....but you know what happened there. 

Alabama hasn't lost to them in 10 years? 

On 12/11/2017 at 9:22 AM, The Gipper said:

Except that we did clarify and state that Ohio State OFTEN leaves the region.  They went to Oklahoma, they went to Virginia Tech...they often go to the West Coast.

How many times in say, the last decade has Alabama ever gone out of region on a true road game?

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the resumes THIS year.

On 12/14/2017 at 6:21 PM, wargograw said:

Alabama hasn't lost to them in 10 years? 

Except, if I recall, they in fact have....when Dak Prescott was there, no?

And that has absolutely nothing to do with the resumes THIS year.

Catchup Baby Tomato......we are talking EVER.  Go ahead, name the last time Alabama has played a pure road game outside of the southern region.

I don'

7 hours ago, wargograw said:

No, Alabama did not lose to Dak Prescott.

And we're not talking EVER. The guy to whom I was responding was arguing for Ohio State's resume THIS year, which has zero games out of the Big 10 region.

Alabama lost to one of the Mississipi teams in the last few years.    In checking...I see that it was a loss to Ole Miss in 2015.

And I wasn't talking ever.....but I wasn't talking just this year.   But here are the facts:  Alabama has not played an away game outside of the south since 2011 when they did go play Penn St. in State College.

They have played a few "neutral site" games.....all in Dallas, and of course road games in the SEC....but no non SEC road games since 2011.

Well then don't step into a discussion under the pretense that it's the same discussion then make it about something totally different. 

I'm not sure why you guys are so high and mighty about playing outside of your region anyway. College football is a regional game. Who cares? Name one of Alabama's OOC games that it would have lost had it been a road game rather than neutral. None. Oooh, Ohio State went to Blacksburg, Virginia in 2015. Yeah man, that game had repercussions for their resume years down the road. Like Alabama wouldn't beat Virginia Tech on the road. I'd rather watch Alabama play ranked matchups at neutral sites than go play P5 scrubs in their stadium. But then again I like good football, instead of bragging about things that don't matter.

8 hours ago, wargograw said:

Well then don't step into a discussion under the pretense that it's the same discussion then make it about something totally different. 

I'm not sure why you guys are so high and mighty about playing outside of your region anyway. College football is a regional game. Who cares? Name one of Alabama's OOC games that it would have lost had it been a road game rather than neutral. None. Oooh, Ohio State went to Blacksburg, Virginia in 2015. Yeah man, that game had repercussions for their resume years down the road. Like Alabama wouldn't beat Virginia Tech on the road. I'd rather watch Alabama play ranked matchups at neutral sites than go play P5 scrubs in their stadium. But then again I like good football, instead of bragging about things that don't matter.

Alabama won't play P5 scrubs....they play FCS scrubs.

And, as far as liking good football....and bragging about things that don't matter....You are an A&M fan...so you don't get good football or something that matters, do you? :lol:

They've played #3 Florida State (twice), #20 USC, #20 Wisconsin, West Virginia, Virginia Tech (twice), #8 Michigan, #23 Penn State on the road, #18 Penn State at home, Duke, and Clemson.

But yeah just switch out Mercer for Vanderbilt. THEN their schedule would be acceptable. Ok....

10 hours ago, wargograw said:

They've played #3 Florida State (twice), #20 USC, #20 Wisconsin, West Virginia, Virginia Tech (twice), #8 Michigan, #23 Penn State on the road, #18 Penn State at home, Duke, and Clemson.

But yeah just switch out Mercer for Vanderbilt. THEN their schedule would be acceptable. Ok....

Points are simple.  Not sure why you can't follow:

A. P5 teams need to play 9 conference games.  (switch out Mercer for Georgia)

B. Wins over FCS school will not count toward the 6 wins needed to be bowl eligible.  (that is actually a rule now....the Independence bowl just screwed up).  Also...the playoff committee to take "points" away if playing an FCS school  (literally treat is like a loss)

No actually the point was something like "because Alabama never leaves the south, they should be criticized," and the implication is that they avoid tough games. The above list completely disproves that. 

Look up what happened last time Alabama played Georgia...

On 12/24/2017 at 3:52 PM, wargograw said:

No actually the point was something like "because Alabama never leaves the south, they should be criticized," and the implication is that they avoid tough games.

Precisely.

The above list completely disproves that. 

But then....only having 8 SEC games....and instead scheduling the likes of Mercer, reproves that.

Look up what happened last time Alabama played Georgia...

Why don't you just tell us?  I suppose Bama won big.....when Georgia sucked.   Even playing a sucky Georgia is better than scheduling FCS.  Keep making excuses for then going to Cupcake City.

By YOUR supposition then...Ohio State was stupid for scheduling Oklahoma this year.  They should have dropped that game and went and played like Saginaw Valley State or somebody.

I guess if you call a team that went 10-3 one that "sucked," then yes, Georgia sucked. Alabama won 38-10.

Ohio State isn't stupid for scheduling Oklahoma. Their fans are stupid for thinking an extra conference game suddenly means all 14 Big 10 teams have major schedule bragging rights.

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

I guess if you call a team that went 10-3 one that "sucked," then yes, Georgia sucked. Alabama won 38-10.

Ohio State isn't stupid for scheduling Oklahoma. Their fans are stupid for thinking an extra conference game suddenly means all 14 Big 10 teams have major schedule bragging rights.

The fact is: the DO have scheduling bragging rights.   They play 9 conference games...and they disallow scheduling FCS schools.  Any FCS teams they play now are remnants from left over scheduling.  (they only played 2...by the newest members Maryland and Rutgers). 

But, go ahead

6 hours ago, wargograw said:

I'll give you the FCS thing. But the 9-game schedule is irrelevant.

Point is that the is what the other conferences are all doing.    But instead of the extra conference games...the SEC has another donut.  If they were taking that extra game and scheduling against a P5 opponent....that would be one thing....but they are not.

If we just all agree that the Big 12 should be banned from the playoff then Ohio State could have had that spot today. They're a joke. OU is head and shoulders better than anyone else in the Big 12 and they lost. Meanwhile, the SEC has 2 other teams this year on par with its champion (stupid games against UCF notwithstanding). Big 10 had a solid group of teams at the top too. Really solid. The Big 12 sucks.

Just expand the playoffs to 8.   Include the winners of the 5 P5 conferences, plus 3 wildcards. Then it would be fair to have more than 1 team in from 1 conference...plus you could include an outlier like Central Florida...and see how they could really matchup.

It is so absurdly simple....and will happen.  Just when?

5 hours ago, The Gipper said:

Just expand the playoffs to 8.   Include the winners of the 5 P5 conferences, plus 3 wildcards. Then it would be fair to have more than 1 team in from 1 conference...plus you could include an outlier like Central Florida...and see how they could really matchup.

It is so absurdly simple....and will happen.  Just when?

It would be so easy to do and is being called for by more media outlets, from SB Nation:

Here’s what an eight-team playoff might look like in 2017, if all the conference title game favorites win this coming weekend:

• 8 UCF (G5 rep) at 1 Clemson (ACC champ)
  • 5 Ohio State (Big Ten champ) at 4 Alabama (at-large)
  • 6 USC (Pac-12 champ) at 3 Auburn (SEC champ)
  • 7 Wisconsin (at-large) at 2 Oklahoma (Big 12 champ)

You could make a case for including Penn State or even a two-loss Georgia over Wisconsin, but we’ll go with this.

8 hours ago, wargograw said:

Should be 16 to rival Match Madness. 

Yes instead of 40 bowl games with 20-30 basically not that interesting and half empty make some the early round playoff games like the Sweet 16......and every other brand of football from the pros down to high school.

A no brainer!

Archived