THE BROWNS BOARD

So, Jimbo gets $75 Million

Axe

17 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

You're more than welcome to copy and paste the list you found online. I probably won't spend the time to correct everyone. Though I'm sure the Fab Five is very relevant to this discussion...

It's pretty damn apparent what Tressel did at YSU and OSU. But I know you're way too blinded by fandom to ever see it. I would just expect a response on par with "Miami OH is as good of a school as Michigan"

You are too blinded by stupidity...and fandom. 

And Miami is every bit as good......its just that you are too blinded by fandom/loyalty etc.  to admit it.

Lets put it this way:   I would have been fine sending my kid to either school...but I would have preferred Miami.  (and I preferred the school he did go to over either of them)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wargograw said:

The recruiting rankings, and more to the point I had a friend that played there. Not to mention very few OSU fans A. deny it or B. care (nor should they). 

Prove it.  The recruiting rankings don't prove that....unless you are saying that every single FBS school is cheating.

I am not saying you are wrong....but I am saying that it is only the SEC schools that seem to have this info float out there about them......though...it is true that there is some recent evidence out there on Rick Pitino having Nike give like 100K to a recruit.....paid to the kids dad.

2 hours ago, The Gipper said:

You are too blinded by stupidity...and fandom. 

And Miami is every bit as good......its just that you are too blinded by fandom/loyalty etc.  to admit it.

Lets put it this way:   I would have been fine sending my kid to either school...but I would have preferred Miami.  (and I preferred the school he did go to over either of them)

Sigh

All I can do is shake my head and laugh. 

On 12/23/2017 at 10:57 AM, The Gipper said:

Prove it.  The recruiting rankings don't prove that....unless you are saying that every single FBS school is cheating.

I am not saying you are wrong....but I am saying that it is only the SEC schools that seem to have this info float out there about them......though...it is true that there is some recent evidence out there on Rick Pitino having Nike give like 100K to a recruit.....paid to the kids dad.

This isn't exactly publicly released knowledge. I had a friend play there and I follow the SEC and know alot of people that are into the underground scene in these parts.

Not every single FBS school, but the vast, vast majority of the Power 5 are "cheating," yes.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:57 AM, The Gipper said:

Kendall Sheffield is a good example. He wanted to go to A&M out of high school. Alabama paid him at the last minute and he went there. Then coming out of Blinn (JUCO) he wanted to go to A&M again. Our boosters should have stepped up. They didn't. Ohio State's did. And the team is the better for it. In Sheffield's case, his dad was the one with the hand out.

Ole Miss, Bama, etc. There have been some blatant examples.

Honestly if they want to pay the players I'm fine with it. That will hurt smaller schools, but Michigan has the money to compete. Maybe it shouldn't be the wild west, but they do deserve some compensation

Back to the original issue, I'd rather we pay Jimbo $7.5 Mil / year than the $5 Mil / year we paid Sumlin. After watching that middle school coaching giveaway from 34 points up on UCLA, he deserved an immediate firing and not just wait till the string was played out. Never seen anything like it. Just basic stuff like making the QB use all the time on the clock each play would have won that game handily. Or just run every f'n play since the QB that gave us the lead had been hurt and the true freshman replacing could not hit the broad side of a barn. But he was a decent runner.

On 12/24/2017 at 3:53 PM, wargograw said:

This isn't exactly publicly released knowledge. I had a friend play there and I follow the SEC and know alot of people that are into the underground scene in these parts.

Not every single FBS school, but the vast, vast majority of the Power 5 are "cheating," yes.

Fair enough, yes...I am convinced that is true.

On 12/24/2017 at 4:00 PM, wargograw said:

Kendall Sheffield is a good example. He wanted to go to A&M out of high school. Alabama paid him at the last minute and he went there. Then coming out of Blinn (JUCO) he wanted to go to A&M again. Our boosters should have stepped up. They didn't. Ohio State's did. And the team is the better for it. In Sheffield's case, his dad was the one with the hand out.

Oh, yes.... It does seem that it is the parents that have their hands out all the time here.  The only thing I can say is that these parents must know that they are going to get paid by someone....so their kid goes to the highest bidder.

It seems the FBI is cracking down heavy on this on the basketball side.  They may even be going after Rick Pitino criminally. I wonder what would happen if they were able to get the goods on like everyone in the P5 conferences.  It could be a bloodbath, mayhem. 

Perhaps this whole situation has all these coaches/administrators shitting bricks.  They should be.  This is a warning shot across the bow.

Do you think this could actually lead to things being cleaned up?   A high profile college coach..basketball or football... being indicted over giving players...and their family money?  Pitino is about as high profile as it gets. 

On 12/24/2017 at 5:08 PM, MLD Woody said:

Ole Miss, Bama, etc. There have been some blatant examples.

Honestly if they want to pay the players I'm fine with it. That will hurt smaller schools, but Michigan has the money to compete. Maybe it shouldn't be the wild west, but they do deserve some compensation

That won't fix anything. The schools will still pay what they're paying now over and above whatever this "salary" is. 

Yeah and some people who sneak money they collect for charity and church collections will just all voluntarily stop too.;)

.......a problem that goes back decades or maybe centuries all over the world. I was the pinic chairman for 5 years at a rather large lodge I used to belong to years back, I was shocked at the petty pilfering that went on, oh after over 75 years it finally folded.

9 hours ago, wargograw said:

That won't fix anything. The schools will still pay what they're paying now over and above whatever this "salary" is. 

But for the player that feels they just need something, maybe to help their family back home, it could. 0 vs $100k is different than $50k vs $150k

We've already had to turn recruits away for academics. Putting an end to the bagmen would be great

18 hours ago, mjp28 said:

Yeah and some people who sneak money they collect for charity and church collections will just all voluntarily stop too.;)

.......a problem that goes back decades or maybe centuries all over the world. I was the pinic chairman for 5 years at a rather large lodge I used to belong to years back, I was shocked at the petty pilfering that went on, oh after over 75 years it finally folded.

When your cheating is highly likely to be found out and will actually cost your program, yeah I think it might stop. It's the best idea around at least. 

16 hours ago, MLD Woody said:

But for the player that feels they just need something, maybe to help their family back home, it could. 0 vs $100k is different than $50k vs $150k

We've already had to turn recruits away for academics. Putting an end to the bagmen would be great

This idea of the kid who just needs a little something is a myth. They want as much as possible. All of them [that have their hand out].

On 12/28/2017 at 1:55 AM, wargograw said:

When your cheating is highly likely to be found out and will actually cost your program, yeah I think it might stop. It's the best idea around at least. 

This idea of the kid who just needs a little something is a myth. They want as much as possible. All of them [that have their hand out].

My old high school chemistry teacher had it right "when given the chance it's been proven that students will cheat 9 times out of 8"...... ol' Rip Randell, cool guy.

Archived